FE7x: Immortal Sword - Part One Complete

BwdYeti

I'm not calling the chapter frustrating in that way, buuuut it just feels I got killed because of bullshit difficulty rather than actual difficulty.

What would that be exactly? The game hands you torches and a thief, and the enemies can't cheat vision unlike other FEs.

The boss landing a lucky crit is the only thing I can think of.

You do have to protect Uther -- but he's still good at Claymore'ing horses/armors on occasion. Otherwise just don't rely on him.

Protecting the fighters I never found difficult. I helped though that I bought a lot of vulneraries for my dudes to heal themselves so Madelyn could heal them or for Eagler to rescue.

Edited by DLuna

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would that be exactly? The game hands you torches and a thief, and the enemies can't cheat vision unlike other FEs.

You do have to protect Uther -- but he's still good at Claymore'ing horses/armors on occasion. Otherwise just don't rely on him.

Protecting the fighters I never found difficult. I helped though that I bought a lot of vulneraries for my dudes to heal themselves so Madelyn could heal them or for Eagler to rescue.

It's a totality of circumstances thing - but the goals mislead the player, and punish you for what might otherwise be "good behavior" under the false premise that the chapter's about to end. I'm not going to waste healing items and consciously position units to keep fighting if there's no point--except then, after turn 10, you realize it's a fake-out goal, by which point you're kind of already screwed since you didn't prepare for 4+ more turns of this. That's really the root of the problem here.

The torches weren't even that useful, because you get punished for straying too far from the village wall openings anyways.

The boss isn't even that big of a deal, easily slain with proper rangespam.

If you strategically use Uther, 1 other hit + Claymore kills Zweis rather effectively. Still would've been nice if he'd sobered up when the goals started changing. Like, throw me a bone bro.

The Juniors are super useful, but partially that's because you don't have access to axes. Would've been nice to see Bart's AI change at some point where he would spring into action; he doesn't really do much of anything currently.

Edited by Arch

Perhaps more text on earlier turns hinting at things not staying the same? For ch.11? (I have not tried out the patch yet myself so have no experience to go from)

...super looking forward to playing this though, now that my laptop is functional! :D

Sweet sweet FE7x new release... ^~^

bro aaah sorry, what I meant was that the chapter was a good difficulty and was fun and challenging for the reasons you stated. Like don't get me wrong, I agree with you on that. And honestly Uther is still pretty deadly against zwei's because they are slow and requires not a lot of skill to smack down.

What I'm saying is it gets cheesy on turn 10 where I'm like "alright, done here." and I leave my units at not so great HP left. And then I need to scramble around for a few more turns. I'm not saying its impossible to work around or anything, but there's a chance that you can be forced to restart because the game didn't actually end and that's not exactly a player error.

You could just boost the turn count on like turn 7-8, so you're still in that survival state of mind and the boost won't be as potentially restart inducing.

Edited by Uncle Ghatsu!

What I'm saying is it gets cheesy on turn 10 where I'm like "alright, done here." and I leave my units at not so great HP left. And then I need to scramble around for a few more turns. I'm not saying its impossible to work around or anything, but there's a chance that you can be forced to restart because the game didn't actually end and that's not exactly a player error.

You could just boost the turn count on like turn 7-8, so you're still in that survival state of mind and the boost won't be as potentially restart inducing.

I suppose that makes sense. I can see a situation where someone is placed in a bad spot deliberately because "w/e they only have to survive this last phase, after that, doesn't matter if they're surrounded or something". That logic technically isn't wrong.

bro aaah sorry, what I meant was that the chapter was a good difficulty and was fun and challenging for the reasons you stated. Like don't get me wrong, I agree with you on that. And honestly Uther is still pretty deadly against zwei's because they are slow and requires not a lot of skill to smack down.

I agree with Ghatsu on the whole design of the chapter... fortunately by turn 8 I knew that I was either going to get an extension or have to route all the enemies judging by the way the enemy units droppables and some dialogue was setup, so I didn't have much of a problem due to surprise... Fe7x has some ways to apply difficulty, which appear not too thought out or refined or even lazy... For this chapter If you have the mission objective change on turn 8 or turn 9 as opposed to the last turn and have reinforcement spawns happen a bit more appropriately, you'd be able to establish the psychological effect while still giving the player adequate space to adjust to the changes.

thanks for your thoughts everyone, ch7 is definitely getting an update. we'll be looking at the later chapters more in-depth soon.

The only tweak Id say is that you should even out the enemy units. You have random mega units in there who come out of nowhere with abnormally high stats who can solo half my team

gSQyaq0.png

one flag, shine tome and vulneray. pretty sure we can ignore this loser.

xuwBSu9.png

woah three flags? slow down buster

fo3n0o8.png

better mark him to be safe

zTCLpv2.png

(also look his armour is different!)

By the way, does Eagler give more xp if defeated in the training?

Yes actually! Training exp, like battle exp, is based on level disparity and being promoted adds a bunch. Even losing to Eagler can be worth more than beating one of the t0s.

Oh wow I didn't realize the flags meant something. I thought the number was just random.

Also ended up being a little disappointed healing in training wasn't separate from fighting in training, which I learned when I promoted Eiry. It basically means most magical units are much more valuable healing after promotion rather than fighting. :/

Was nice that the supplier could heal. Too bad we didn't have 1 or 2 more chapters in the demo, I was excited to see him promote, but he only got to like 15 or 16, I forget.

Sooooo... Does anyone know of an effective way of playing this on an Android smartphone, for those times when I just can't use the PC/laptop/etc?

It's the one thing this project doesn't have over regular rom hacks for me. :0

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

MonoGame, which I'm using for the OSX version, also runs on Android, and I confirmed it's very possible to get it running early last year, but to actually compile the code for mobile requires a very not free Xamarin license, and my 30 day trial is very run out.

/points suggestively at the donate button

notices peculiar pointing

Finally finished my (first of many) playthrough(s) of the demo. Holy hell that was well done. As one may or may not be aware, I've been a huge fan for some time, but this demo really made the connection between the great mechanics and visuals that were showcased in the trial maps and the linearity (relatively) of a classic fire emblem game. Raising up units felt really good.

Myke, as always, it is a privilege to read your writing. Every character feels like a complete human being, rather than a plot device, which I love. The writing was humorous and heartfelt, sometimes simultaneously, and without distracting holes. Bennet, Roeis, Hyde, Augustus and Nieme not getting farewells was a little disappointing, but all the farewells did a great job of making me feel accomplished and happy, while also excited for things to come. The big (Hassar and Madelyn, Cybil and Hassar, Leonard being an amazing advisor, all farewells) and the subtle (Uther and Madelyn, mentioning new characters to keep a great continuity) were all done well. I even liked the meta, like Uther noting the somewhat outlandishness of Hyde joining.

Love the training mechanic. Like that it lets you be anal about level ups if you want to and are really struggling, moving bands around and everything, or just go with it.

Some skill changes were a little surprising. Miss the mages having focus, especially on ch7, but the dodge does let them tank a little more assuredly. The heavy mages role is an interesting one, and I quite liked it, especially as a way to differentiate them and archers. Take that, people on the 7x forums. Not sure I've made quite as much peace with Halbardiers and Longbowmen not getting any crit bonuses. When are they going to use all that extra hit?
All the chapters were enjoyable challenges and were well written. They all felt like they had a place in the story (non felt like they were thrown in just to have a battle to fight).

The colouring of stats was a great way of choosing who to keep, and who to bench and try out later.

This almost feels like the equivalent of Lyn's story to an amazingly grand and exciting eliwood's/hector's. It'd be cool to get people back in little groups, as returning characters was a somewhat cool element from the first game. I'm very excited to see what comes next, but I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of this demo.

[spoiler=Also, dis guy. His stat screen matches his outfit.]
EDKeiKG.png
8KZU2IJ.png
an in game screenshot button so I don't have to deal with screen resizing would be nice

Edited by deranger

<3

When are they going to use all that extra hit?

(when it goes over 100% it turns back into crit, remember?)

and yay someone else who appreciates that dodge is actually a useful stat

<3

(when it goes over 100% it turns back into crit, remember?)

and yay someone else who appreciates that dodge is actually a useful stat

Had no idea. Is that a 7x thing or an FE thing? I guess I'm okay with that then. Is it a 1 to 1 ratio?

you should try f11 or f12

Is that supposed to take screen shots? Where does it save them? Would prefer to neither mute nor go wifiless every time I want to take a screen shot.

Also, a Bennett-Harken support would be cool. A compare/contrast of their situations and motivations. And I don't want to use Isadora on hard mode, even if her cool crit animation activates often.

Edited by deranger

On the topic of dodge, I only think it's that valuable of there's a lot of enemies with killer weapons or something.

Or if the unit that has it has low luck.

Otherwise, it is not too useful. Not enough to justify a low movement (unless the units themselves are balanced according to that).

I'd stick to my initial opinion that the 5-move magi should swap skills with the 4-move magi. +10 avoid is generally much better than +10 dodge. Not saying the latter is useless but it's much more situational.

A lot of enemies end up having a few percent of crit, so being able to plop a unit that can always counter and calculate whether or not they'll die with some certainty is nice. I like that heavy magicians fill a specific niche formerly only filled by javalin or handaxe wielding units. I like that 7x, more than any FE game I've played, gives units niches. Being rewarded for not just juggernauting is nice.

Fe7x feature, 1 to 0.5

Guess I should've noticed iron weapons producing more crit than steel ones. Skill being made more important is nice, even if it does make op units more op. I like it. Is the berzerker's skill the same? And if so, how are you dealing with the infinite feedback loop? Haha

I guess the plus hit makes sense thematically then. Reliability being a characteristic that makes sense with them. Was going to say 10 crit to put them in the middle of the sword and axe classes that get crit bonuses, but I like this too.

Edited by deranger