Fantasy Mafia - Cancelled

Sunwoo

Now you know how it feels after you've rolled scum once. Or more times than you've rolled town (half of my town games are rigged too).

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I meant to do this a lot earlier, but life happened. Since the game didn't officially finish, I'm going to post full role PMs and explain the nature of the setup.

Basically, this game was meant to be town vs scum - no third parties or anything else complicated in the mix. Also, I've felt that a lot of games I'd seen recently had a small number of scum compared to the number of townies, so one of my goals was to make sure the scum team didn't feel outnumbered.

I tried to design the roles so that town didn't have a large amount of continuous investigation or protection, which meant quite a few alt night roles and a few "filler" roles. Scum was meant to be moderately powerful, with the necessary tools but nothing super powerful.

[spoiler=Dayvig/Lynch Mayor]Dear <USER>,

You are Erin. You’re known for being angry and opinionated, not for your bravery. You have a tendency to look down on “normal” people of your age for lacking ambition and priorities in life. Although you like to think that you’re unique and hard to figure out, provoking you is quite the easy task.

Because of your impulsiveness and impatience, you don’t like to prolong discussion if you feel there is nothing more to be done. As a result, if you vote for someone at L-2 your vote will be the hammer. This ability deactivates at LYLO and variants.

Once during the day phase, you may respond in-thread with “That’s it! Die, <USER>!” This will instantly kill <USER>, but deactivate your lynch mayor abilities for the rest of the phase in which your dayvig is used.

You are aligned with the Ensemble. You win when all threats have been eliminated.

This was one of the roles that I really wanted in this game. I didn't want a full mayor because I felt it would have too much vote control, but I thought that a lynch mayor would make a player play more strategically. Would they try to be the hammer each day, or would they just play normally? The dayvig is self-explanatory enough, I think dayvigs are cool and this game was balanced around it. The "drawback" to using the dayvig was added in case the player who rolled it wanted to use the lynch mayor more strategically.

[spoiler=Informed Townie]Dear <USER>,

You are Melody. You’re smarter and a harder worker than anyone else around you – and you know it. To you, physical strength and magical prowess mean little if one cannot back them up with intelligence. Knowledge is great power, and therefore you never go into anything unprepared.

You have a number of books in your possession, which contain information pertinent to the setup. During the night, you may reply to your role PM with “Night X: Time to do research”. At the end of the phase, you will learn something about the game’s setup. You only have three books, though, so you may only use this ability thrice.

You are aligned with the Ensemble. You win when all threats have been eliminated.

The informed townie was mostly there as a filler role. It's not super powerful, but it gives town some info on the setup. The informed townie would've learned the following in order: 1) the numbers at the beginning of the game 2) the number of day actions that existed at the beginning of the game, and 3) the number of roles that can block kills.

[spoiler=PR giver/announcer]Dear <USER>,

You are Ryuji. You hide your pessimism and loneliness behind a mask of silliness, acting as if you haven’t a care in the world. Playing the fool made it easy to mess with people without gaining enemies in the process. Despite your friendly act, you are rarely honest about your true self, even to yourself.

During the day phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Day X: Anyeung!” and an announcement that is no longer than 150 words. This announcement will be posted in the thread anonymously once it is seen by a mod.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Messing with <USER>” and a post restriction that <USER> must follow during the subsequent day phase. If the PR is deemed unreasonable by the mods or not given, <USER> will receive a mod-determined PR.

This was another filler role, but one of my favorites. Basically, it was the "messing with everyone" role. Announcer can be used strategically enough, but the PR giver was there just because I wanted to see what kind of PRs the player could hand out and to who. I was really disappointed when Shinori was lynched, as a result.

[spoiler=Safeguard/Non-Consecutive Omniguard]Dear <USER>,

You are Arthur. You’re an easygoing guy who has a tendency to be in the wrong places at the wrong time. A natural leader, you have no problems being in charge and supporting others during times of hardship, even if you dislike being the center of attention. You do not like being angry at others and rarely hold grudges.

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Protect <USER> from harm”. You will guard <USER> from all non-fatal actions that phase. You cannot stop kills, however, as the killers would overpower you.

Alternatively, during the night, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Shield <USER> with my magic”. You will form a magical barrier around <USER>, protecting them from all actions that phase. This ability drains you of your strength, and so it cannot be used consecutively.

The primary protection role in this game. I didn't want to have a full doctor in this game, and for some reason either decided against or didn't think of jailer. A full omniguard is too powerful, so I decided to combine it with a plain safeguard and give the user a choice. Do they use the safeguard to block any potential harmful non-killing actions every night, or will they omniguard their target and idle the next night? And even if most people choose to omniguard, it still forces them to idle so it's not overly powerful.

[spoiler=Nexus]Dear <USER>,

You are Robin. You’re extremely logical and highly composed during a crisis, but you cannot handle other people. A loner by nature, you have few close friends and prefer to keep to yourself instead. You have a strong passion for learning and a desire to further your knowledge in all areas.

Due to your near mastery of magic, you are able to surround yourself with a shield that randomly deflects all non-fatal actions targeting you at all times. However, your shield is not powerful enough to protect you from kills.

Nexuses and PGOs are interesting, also mostly a filler role. Also the only one that didn't have a night action at all.

[spoiler=Day Networker]Dear <USER>,

You are Victor. You speak with more self-confidence and optimism than you actually have. Even though you’re a good listener and great at giving advice, you find it difficult to show the part of yourself that is not as self-assured. You are often blunt and make your dislikes evident, but hate offending people.

During the day phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Day X: Hello, how are you <USER>?” You will receive outside contact with <USER> for the following night phase only. This action may be submitted only during the last 24 hours of the day, and you may not target the same user consecutively.

I like roles such as mason, but I decided to have a networker instead. The main quirk of this role was that they had to submit their action during the day phase, and they had to do it within a specific time frame. (If their target had been lynched, they would've gotten no OC that night.) Also, while they could repeat their neighbor targets, they couldn't talk to the same person twice in a row. I figured it'd force them to make contact with more people than just talking to the same one over and over until one died.

[spoiler=Bodyguard]Dear <USER>,

You are Elian. You’re very reserved and hold a slight disregard for others, but your true strength lies in your loyalty to the people you care about. Even though you are quick to dislike and slow to trust, you are dependable and put duty above your personal feelings. You also hold grudges like nobody’s business.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: I will not let <USER> fall!” If <USER> is targeted by a killing action that phase, you will die in their place instead.

The other protective role in the game. I included bodyguard partly because I was hoping Helios would join and I could troll him by giving him an actual town bodyguard role, but I also do think that it's an interesting role. A successful bodyguard shot would've protected the primary target, but it still lowers numbers since the bodyguard is dying in their place, so I thought it would go nicely along with the omniguard.

[spoiler=Oracle]Dear <USER>,

You are Mina. You are a cheerful and optimistic girl with a love for the world and all who inhabit it. Your optimistic spirit and simplistic views of life puts you at odds with many people, but you don’t mind at all. While you may not be the brightest person, your ability to trust in the goodness of others is unrivaled.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Reading <USER>'s aura!" If you are killed, the role PM of the last user you targeted will be made public.

Probably one of the main town investigative role. I didn't want town to rely on a cop, so I decided to put in an oracle instead. I think early drafts of the game originally had this as a virgin, so it was a comparatively late addition.

[spoiler=JoaT]Dear <USER>,

You are Jonie. You’re a studious academic with graduation on the mind and not much time for anything else. Your tendency to relieve frustration by pulling pranks puts you at odds with those who do not appreciate your relaxation choices. Competition drives you, but is also your biggest source of stress.

Once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: You should watch your back, <USER>”. You will protect <USER> from all killing actions that phase and the following day phase.

Alternatively, once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: What are <USER>’s credentials?” You will learn of <USER>'s alignment.

Alternatively, once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: I hope you like marbles, <USER>!” You will prevent <USER> from performing their night action that phase.

The JoaT was there to add in some more firepower for town. The cop shot was probably the best investigative role that town had, while the doctor was there just because. (It was also the only thing that could stop the dayvig.) The hooker was there because all the scum minus SB did have dedicated night actions.

[spoiler=Even night commuter/self-watcher]Dear <USER>,

You are Bryan. You are ambitious and determined to succeed, something you feel that many of your peers lack. Because you refuse to let peer pressure control you, there is no sympathy for those who conform instead of doing what is right. You dislike swearing and go to great lengths to avoid it whenever possible.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Cloak myself in darkness”. You will use your magic to become undetectable to any visitors. You will learn of everyone who targeted you that phase, but not their intentions. This ability may only be used during even nights.

Mostly there as a filler role. The self-watcher would see everyone who tried to visit the player on the nights where they commuted only. On odd nights, the commuter was essentially a vanilla.

[spoiler=Odd night follower]Dear <USER>,

You are Lani. A hopeless romantic who lives for excitement, you find your everyday life to be dull. You find it difficult to appreciate the little things around you and the stability that you have. You care deeply for others, but you are not the best judge of character and struggle with indecision regarding love.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: What could <USER> be up to?” You will follow <USER> and learn of any actions that <USER> performed that phase. This ability may only be used during odd nights.

The other town investigative role. Only usable during odd nights, and I think it would've functioned mostly as a rolecop that activated only on active roles. I felt that it could be too powerful if it were usable ever night, so I made it alt night.

[spoiler=Tracker/Voyeur/Ninja]Dear <USER>,

You are Alionna. You were the daughter of a noble family renowned for your magical prowess. A single mistake made in an important request from the king led to your family falling into disgrace and your abilities being doubted. The lord of darkness granted you the means of revenge and restoring your family name in exchange for your fealty.

Once during the night phase when taking the kill, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Conceal my trace, and strike down <USER>!” This kill will be untraceable to investigative roles.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Lock in on <USER>’s energy”. You will learn of who <USER> visited that phase.

Alternatively, during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Heighten the energies around <USER>”. You will learn of all actions that targeted <USER> that phase. You may not use both abilities on the same night phase.

You are aligned with the Chosen. You win when nothing can prevent your victory.

According to the scum team, the ninja attached to this role countered itself better than any other town role. It could find people who had active roles (tracker, and everyone in the game minus the nexus) or learn of what actions existed within the town (voyeur).

[spoiler=Rolecop]Dear <USER>,

You are Cillian. You were the prince of a small nation surrounded by bigger and stronger countries. It was inevitable that your land would be invaded by one of your power hungry neighbors. When the lord of darkness offered you power in exchange for your loyalty, you took the only opportunity you had to protect your people.

During the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Looking into <USER>’s mind”. You will learn of <USER>’s role, but not of any possible modifiers or conditions they may have.

Standard scum investigation role, nothing else to say about it I guess.

[spoiler=JoaT]Dear <USER>,

You are Zeke. You were a high-ranking royal sorcerer in the service of your country. The land you hail from is scarred a history of unending warfare. Seeking to end the senseless violence, you sought to release the lord of darkness from imprisonment – knowing that doing so you would destroy everything.

Once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Shroud <USER> with my power”. <USER> will be unable to be lynched on the following day phase.

Alternatively, once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: <USER1>, <USER2> is your enemy”. You will convince <USER1> to vote for <USER2> for the entirety of the following day phase. This ability may not be used in *YLO and variants.

Alternatively, once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: <USER1>, you will target <USER2>”. <USER1> will be forced to target <USER2> with any night action they may have.

The JoaT was there to give scum additional roles that didn't really fit in with any of the others and were too powerful to stand alone. The lynch doctor would've been able to stop its target from being lynched the following day, potentially keeping scum's numbers up, while the persuade was meant to give them some vote control and the hijacker let them control one night action.

[spoiler=Insomniac Masshook/Hitman]Dear <USER>,

You are Abysian, lord of darkness. A thousand years ago you wrought destruction upon all the worlds, until you were defeated and sealed away. Even during your imprisonment you waited for the day you would be free to unleash annihilation. The fools swayed by your honeyed words will keep your enemies busy until you reach your full power.

The people surrounding you are fools to be manipulated and bent to your whims. Because you are an omnipotent being, you may speak during the night phase.

Once during the night phase when taking the kill, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: <USER> has defied me for the last time!” This kill cannot be stopped, as you are all-powerful.

Once during the night phase, you may respond to your role PM with “Night X: Behold, the full power of darkness!” You will stop all night actions from occurring that phase except for the factional kill. This ability may not be used before N2.

This role is functionally Camdar from Folgore Rangers mafia, except the mass hook couldn't be used until N2 and there was a strongman attacked. The insomniac was a late addition added to give the role a safeclaim.

​Also, a bit of a funny story regarding the mass hook and the lack of a full hooker on the scum team. Both SB and eclipse complained about it, and I actually went back and looked at my setup. But the setup was designed so that a full hooker would be a "miss" more often than not.

The dayvig/lynch mayor and the networker could never be blocked because they activated in the day. The nexus and the commuter had nothing to block. While the informed townie and the PR giver could be blocked, I doubt it's a high priority (unless someone REALLY didn't want a PR). I think only the safeguard/omniguard, the follower, and the JoaT were worth blocking. The oracle, not so much, and the bodyguard's sole function is to die in place of someone. And the three roles that I feel were the most worth blocking were either limited or alt night, so I felt a full hooker wasn't needed.

So that's basically the setup, and if there are any other questions or something just ask me.