Is Awakening trying too hard to appeal to Smash Bros fans?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. Even if we ignore the DLC, there's still the fact that Krom is heavily based off Ike,

No. The artist who designed the characters for Kakusei began before realizing he was designing for a Fire Emblem title. You can find this info in the "Iwata Asks" interviews.

Is it possible that Krom was designed after the fact? Maybe. Was Krom designed after Ike? Almost certainly not. If Krom was designed after Ike, was this to cash in on Ike's imaginary "Smash appeal?" lmfao no

Well, Krom and Ike both have blue hair, both have swords, both lead vigilante groups, both have that "1 piece of armour on the shoulder" thing going.

I mean, that's true, but Krom seems more unique to me. I get a really "Proud, swift, calm, sleek" vibe from him, where Ike is more.. i don't know, rough and down to earth? It's hard to describe. Blunt, strong, brave, rough. Those sorts of things.

Also, am I the only one who envisioned Krom as being fast? Seems like a lot of people pegged him as the slow, hard hitting type. I always pictured him as being very swift. His stats in-game (high skill, high speed, high crit ratio, etc..) seem to indicate that..

But hey, that's just me.

No. The artist who designed the characters for Kakusei began before realizing he was designing for a Fire Emblem title. You can find this info in the "Iwata Asks" interviews.

Is it possible that Krom was designed after the fact? Maybe. Was Krom designed after Ike? Almost certainly not. If Krom was designed after Ike, was this to cash in on Ike's imaginary "Smash appeal?" lmfao no

That certainly explains why I'm getting a "Brixy" vibe from Frederick. (Despite the lack of closed eyes.)

Actually, I hope none of the FE characters should be in Smash Bros. Americans would just ridicule them and make FE look bad.

What?

Traditionally, FE characters are among the most popular smash characters. Practically everyone who picks up the game loves one of the 3. Hell, Melee was the reason that FE made it over to America at all.

I dont know what you're getting at... mind elaborating?

Marth, Roy and Ike are over hyped throughout the series. Although they did attract a good amount of fans, Smash Bros spewed out memes from them(Marth's a girl, Ike fights for his friends, etc.)

I just don't like how most players represent them and it also gives a bad atmosphere to FE. And there are always newbs asking if those specific three are in any of the FE games. It just gets annoying to see people still pulling this crap, it's ridiculous.

And there are always newbs asking if those specific three are in any of the FE games. It just gets annoying to see people still pulling this crap, it's ridiculous.

Not sure I follow you because if you're introduced to ANY game in another medium with only a few characters from it, you're likely going to a) want to play the games with those characters and b) ask about it. Especially when you're not informed their from different games. (Melee said nothing about them being in different games, simply "Fire Emblem series.")

Sure, they could look it up, but it's hard to blame them for not knowing much about the game, everyone was new once.

I hope not I like my lords having individuality. I understand somebody like Eliwood-Roy since they're related but having the future lords always based on Ike and Marth only to appeal Smash Bros fans is bad idea ^^'. I hate that in Smash Bros they do everything wrong. Ike can't be heavy or slow! Lyn sounds too old! Marth isn't that girly, and Roy well I can't remember him ^^'.

I want to see Miccy in Smash if she's in it we'll get more magic lords o3o

Edited by Queen_Emelina

Not sure I follow you because if you're introduced to ANY game in another medium with only a few characters from it, you're likely going to a) want to play the games with those characters and b) ask about it. Especially when you're not informed their from different games. (Melee said nothing about them being in different games, simply "Fire Emblem series.")

Sure, they could look it up, but it's hard to blame them for not knowing much about the game, everyone was new once.

Except for the fact that Marth's bio clearly said SNES and "Monsho no Nazo" on his game description and Roy's bio said GBA and "Fuuin no Tsurugi" on his game description when viewed in Japanese. That's a good enough implication that they're in different games if you ask me. The differences in their english bio descriptions imply that fact even more too.

Edited by Little Al

And memes will happen regardless of their inclusion. The FE series alone can start them. SSB may be a larger fanbase than FE is, but still, I'd much rather see more characters than ignoring them or limiting them. If possible I'd like to see around four, but I doubt that will happen. Shame too, since I'd like to see more out there choices like magic users or someone who doesn't use just a sword (maybe Sigurd for a mounted choice, but hard to tell how that'd go over). Anyways, no, Awakening isn't trying to appeal to SSB fans. Ike is one of the most popular Lords, it's why he got into SSB, as is Marth. As well, given the setting, having someone based on Marth isn't too much of a surprise. As for Krom, I definitely get a very distinct vibe from him different from Ike. Yes, blue hair and sword and all that, but he feels like his own guy. Further, this game isn't about SSB, it's an appeal to FE fans of all generations. That's why there is the DLC and all of that, because it's trying to appeal to as many people as it can. It feels like a huge gift to fans as a whole, and why I'm looking forward to trying it.

Except for the fact that Marth's bio clearly said SNES and "Monsho no Nazo" on his game description and Roy's bio said GBA and "Fuuin no Tsurugi" on his game description when viewed in Japanese. That's a good enough implication that they're in different games if you ask me.

We're talking about English speakers who were unfamiliar with the series. Not sure how the Japanese description is remotely relevant. I wouldn't expect anyone to look at that.

The differences in their english bio descriptions imply that fact even more too.

I only remember the bios on the trophies, so if there's another set bios you're mentioning, let me know.

Roy:

The son of the lord of Pharae Principality' date=' Roy was studying in Ostia when the Kingdom of Bern invaded League of Lycia. His father fell ill at this time, so Roy assumed leadership of Pharae's armies. After his fateful meeting with the Princess Guinevere, his destiny became inextricably linked with the fate of the entire continent.

Fire Emblem (Japan Only) [/quote']

Marth:

The betrayed prince of the Kingdom of Altea' date=' the blood of the hero Anri flows in Marth's veins. He was forced into exile when the kingdom of Dolua invaded Altea. Then, wielding his divine sword Falchion, he led a revolt and defeated the dark dragon Medeus. Afterwards, Altea was annihilated by King Hardin of Akanea.

Fire Emblem (Japan only) [/quote']

Honestly, if you know absolutely nothing about the series, there's nothing here that tells you that they're two entirely different games. Sure, they sound like two different storylines, but maybe it's a really complex game, the fact it only says "Fire Emblem (Japan Only)" doesn't help at all.

I hope not I like my lords having individuality. I understand somebody like Eliwood-Roy since they're related but having the future lords always based on Ike and Marth only to appeal Smash Bros fans is bad idea ^^'. I hate that in Smash Bros they do everything wrong. Ike can't be heavy or slow! Lyn sounds too old! Marth isn't that girly, and Roy well I can't remember him ^^'.

I want to see Miccy in Smash if she's in it we'll get more magic lords o3o

I'd love to see Micaiah in. Second favorite (or favorite, varies on mood) magic type, a female, and would give Tellius representation without it having to be Ike. I don't see it happening, at all, since as near as I can tell few like her, but it'd make me happy. Plus not like a magic lord is really likely. Either that or the FE2 one, and I don't see that being any more likely unless they're going for nostalgia as the focus.

I'd love to see Micaiah in. Second favorite (or favorite, varies on mood) magic type, a female, and would give Tellius representation without it having to be Ike. I don't see it happening, at all, since as near as I can tell few like her, but it'd make me happy. Plus not like a magic lord is really likely. Either that or the FE2 one, and I don't see that being any more likely unless they're going for nostalgia as the focus.

I'd like to see Micaiah if she used a staff as a close combat weapon. Maybe Hammerne?

Miccy is my favorite too if they put her i'll be happy for more Ike vs Miccy oWo. I want to see a Fire Emblem girl too ^^'.

Close-range blunt weapon with magic capabilities too would be neat. I'd want it to focus more on her magic, more like Lucas/Zelda as opposed to... I don't know, Lucario (mostly in that Lucario feels kind of like a melee guy). If she shoots magic from the staff though that'd be fine with me, though I'd like a book shown on her appearance at least too. Lilina doesn't seem likely at all. I can't see her being picked really, I mean, assuming four people at best, Lilina just doesn't feel like someone they'd pick. I wouldn't mind seeing Ephraim as an option, would mean a spear guy, but that seems doubtful too.

I'd prefer just Micaiah, if just because it'd be too much focus on Tellius. With so many games/countries, I'd prefer one per continent. And Micaiah or Lyn seems like the most likely right now, possibly *spoilers* from this game (anyone who knows who it is knows why I'd say that, so hopefully all I need to do). I can't see the FE2 one getting in, sadly can't remember the name, nor can I see Eirika over Lyn.

Edited by Mirron

Krom has never given me an Ike feel. He's always kind of felt unique. (Though, I suppose I might have difficulty detecting 'expies'.)

As for Micaiah, it would be interesting to include her in SSB, as I'm somewhat of a fan of her, but in general, 'female spellcaster' might be a little overdone. Lyn would be more unique, but is significantly less well-known (which would be an obvious problem for a mascot fighter game).

We're talking about English speakers who were unfamiliar with the series. Not sure how the Japanese description is remotely relevant. I wouldn't expect anyone to look at that.

I only remember the bios on the trophies, so if there's another set bios you're mentioning, let me know.

Honestly, if you know absolutely nothing about the series, there's nothing here that tells you that they're two entirely different games. Sure, they sound like two different storylines, but maybe it's a really complex game, the fact it only says "Fire Emblem (Japan Only)" doesn't help at all.

Did you even look at those same bios with the language set on Japanese? They should tell you the full name of the FEs they're from, and what platform they're on if you do so. Edited by Little Al

@Little Al: The discussion is about whether or not Americans would know Marth and Roy were in different games based on the Melee bios. What they say in Japanese is not relevant at all.

edit: post popped up between me loading the page and submitting this post.

Edited by Rewjeo