Skills

my ideas on skills:

every unit, ally and opponent, would have this skill;

class skills:

myrmidon: fast feet: (speed% chance to activate before battle) this unit will have its speed to cap for that one battle. when speed is capped, speed+5

swordmaster: having more speed (more chance to activate), higher caps and +15 crit is enough, stays the same

mercenary: stun: (skill%) will stun the enemy for that battle (like FE10's cancel)

hero: same

soldier: trained eye: (skill% chance to activate before battle) this unit will have its skill to cap for that one battle. when skill is capped, skill+5

Halberdier: same (+15% crit)

armor knight: great shield: (defense% chance to activate on opponents attack) halves damage received (useful against magic mostly)

general: same

fighter: muscular: (strength% chance to activate before battle) this unit will have its strength to cap for that one battle. when strength is capped, strength+5

warrior: same (+15% crit)

bandit: brutal: (str%) this unit will do damage x2 (crit still possible with it, would make 2x3 = 6 times damage). also able to destroy walls in 1 attack

berserker: same

archer: long range: (command skill) gain 1 extra range, but will use 3 uses of the bow per attack. (means 2-3 range for regular bows, 2-4 for longbows)

sniper: ability to get 2 extra range by sacrificing 6 uses

hunter: melee combat: (counters enemy attacks) ability to counter close range (like FE10's staves) but not counting weapon MT

bow fighter: weapon switch: (command) equip a different weapon even after attacking

peg.knight: magical creature: (magic% chance to activate) use pegasus magic to give your spear more thrust. adds magic stat to damage done (weapon MT+users str.+user's mag.)

falcon knight: same

wyvern rider: big wings: (command skill) launch a wind attack on opponent. does damage equal to user's strength (targets def), is effective against other flying units.

wyvern master: same

cavalier: joust: (command skill) charge at your opponent so fast with a melee weapon, that they can only strike you back with ranged weapons. when using bows, you'll just get +20 avoid and -10 hit. comes with a penalty of 3 speed, coming back in 3 turns (+1 per turn, like reversed ward for speed)

paladin: for bows: +30 avoid, -15 hit

mage: nature's peace: (1/2 magic% chance) bring your enemy to sleep, lasts 3 turns

sage: sleep lasts 5 turns

cleric: nosferatu: (always) steals HP equal to damage done to enemy, also has stave counter (staves having low MT)

priest(ess): same (staves only)

shaman: knowledge: (command skill) you can choose to trade 2 HP for 1 more MT for 1 battle. can go as far as 5 MT per battle. damage done by this can't be healed back that chapter.

druid: 1 HP for 1 MT, max + 10 MT

troubadour: high view: (always) gains +1 range on all staves (no stave counter)

valkyrie: weapon also gaining +1 range

and of course all mounted get canto, all grounded get shove

and next to pick and steal, all thieves would have pass too.

personal skills:

a skill that comes with the character, can't be removed, it's a part of the character itself. (max 1 per unit, isn't trainable)

smite: (command skill) like shove but 2 squares instead of 1.

sacrifice: (command skill) sacrifice your own HP to heal others.

wrath: (always) when under 30% HP raises crit by 50%.

guard: (15% for C support, 30% for B, 50% for A) User takes damage for an adjacent Buddy.

shade: (always) Less chance of being attacked by the enemy.

resolve: (always) When under 50% HP, Skl ×1.5 and Spd ×1.5

imbue: (always) Each turn, user recovers HP proportional to their Magic stat.

savior: (always) Skill and Speed are not reduced when carrying an ally.

Celerity: (always) Movement +2.

discipline: (always) Increases rate of gaining Weapon EXP.

paragon: (always) Doubles gained EXP.

parity: (always) Ignores both the user and enemy's Skills, terrain bonus and support bonus.

renewal: (always) Each turn user recovers 10% of max HP.

blossom: (always) Increases growth rates at the cost of halving gained EXP.

provoke: (always) More chance of being attacked by the enemy

miracle: (luck%) Halves current HP when dealt a fatal strike.

Mercy: (always) Fatal damage leaves enemy with 1 HP.

Nullify: (always) Negates enemy's effective bonus towards user.

pavise: (skill%) Negates all damage.

bargain: (always) like silver card, user always able to buy at half price.

pursuit: (always) 1 more speed than enemy is enough to double.

brave: (speed%) gain a brave effect for that 1 attack.

charisma: (always) units within 3 squares range receive a 5% hit&avoid support bonus.

scroll skills:

comes as a scroll. once obtained, the skill can be taught to an unlimited amount of characters(, won't run out). but only 1 scroll skill possible per unit.

sure strike: (skill%) when activated, attack always hits.

pierce: (skill/2 %) pierces (ignores) armor (def and res).

cancel: (speed%) Negates the enemy's following attack.

Nihil: (always) negates enemy battle skills.

Fortune: (always) negates enemy crits.

Adept: (speed/2 %) Activates a 2 hit strike.

gamble: (command skill) Doubles Critical rate but halves Accuracy.

vantage: (speed%) User attacks first.

flourish: (command skill) Attacks with half power.

counter: (skill%) When damaged, deals half of received damage to enemy.

disarm: (skill/2 %) unequip an enemy.

daunt: (always) Enemies within a 3 square radius have Accuracy and Critical rate reduced by 5.

charge: (when HP above 50%, speed% chance to activate when enemy isn't killed) starts another round of combat.

The only interesting skills are skills that interact with movement. Like Pass, Saviour, Smite, Celerity...

A skill to delete terrain penalties would be cool. Maybe a skill for magic users that lets them conserve uses of siege tomes, or use regular tomes like siege tomes.

Skills function the exact same way in FE4/5 and FE9/10 (or at least 4/9, never played the other 2 games). The only difference is that some have been buffed/nerfed or use slightly different calculations.

The only interesting skills are skills that are either always in effect or activate by command.

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Skills

I don't have much hope for a skill system like this, but it would be ideal.

I have to say, I like the idea of Astra being activated (but only being able to activate it a limited number of times) a lot more than it just happening randomly.

I have to say, I like the idea of Astra being activated (but only being able to activate it a limited number of times) a lot more than it just happening randomly.

That's my favorite example, as well. Although I still haven't played far enough for Faye to actually learn it; I should get around to that.

Edited by Othin

Skills function the exact same way in FE4/5 and FE9/10 (or at least 4/9, never played the other 2 games). The only difference is that some have been buffed/nerfed or use slightly different calculations.

In 10 you can remove skills from characters which then give you scrolls, which you can then use to give that skill to another character.

So at end-game, you can hedge skills off everyone you're not using and create hand-picked skillsets for your end-game team.

It's actually quite fun, but it does remove the specialty of skills.

FE5 also has scrolls, so you can get the Shooting Star scroll and then give that to whoever you want. Skills are permanent once given, however.

Edited by Celice

There is no Shooting Star/Meteor Sword/Astra/Starstrike scroll in FE5.

You can get similar results with the Ambush and Wrath scrolls, although not on the same character.

I think more enemies should have skills, or at least make skills less overpowered (Resolve lol).

Also Othin at some point we should explain that idea we had for the FE game we were toying around with over the summer.

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Ch10_Enemy_Data

Oh yeah, those ideas. I'll have to find that spreadsheet sometime and look over some of that stuff.

I'd personally like to see a skill system that is a mixture between FE9 and 10. Imagine that characters could start with skills (but like those in FE10 didn't take up any space) that while they could be removed wouldn't produce a scroll to be traded to another person. This would essentially make it where base skills; while not being the be all, end all would still have some use and give each character a bit of individuality that has no reason to be removed. Then give us say 1 scroll for all (or just about all) the skills in the game that we can assign to different characters, remove (like in FE10) and trade around as we see fit. To me this would be the best of both worlds. However as the second poster in this topic brought up, class specific skills could be used as well, ideally as a replacement for the FE10's masteries that are all essentially 'and I 1HKO the enemy now' and other effects that barely matter.

The only interesting skills are all skills

This.

Since Astra's there, I'll guess Luna and Sol will also appear. As for a system, I'd like it like FE4. Completely fixed citizen skills, and then soldier skills.

Exemplification: far separate from asserting.

This is nothing personal; you and your intentions are of absolutely no concern here to me. I wish only to point out a matter and to clear up likely misunderstandings about it resulting from your post.

I hope great shield makes a return Eclipse as a mastery skill for knights didn't seem right . I also Imagine that since monsters are making a return some monster slaying skills will exist . It would be kinda cool but broken if the lord got an uber sword at the final chapter of the game with the unused holy sword skill from fe4 .