What are the odds...

ZemZem

...of finding two shiny Pokemon in X/Y less than a half hour away from each other? I was training my Mow Rotom using the Super Rod, then I encountered a shiny Poliwhirl, catching it of course. Later, I went to a different spot after doing some things, and my first encounter was a shiny red Basculin, thankfully catching it before it could use Final Gambit.

I'm in total disbelief. ._.

Edited by ZeeEmm

Magyars once played Pokémon Diamond.

Encountered a Shiny Dialga on try one.

Caught it, and...

Her DS died.

Then one day, she played BS with me,

And lost when I claimed a card was a Shiny Dialga as I set it down.

Magyars once played Pokémon Diamond.

Encountered a Shiny Dialga on try one.

Caught it, and...

Her DS died.

Then one day, she played BS with me,

And lost when I claimed a card was a Shiny Dialga as I set it down.

lol That sounds rough.

So I traded with him

Lul, "Your Miracle evolved into Politoed"

And you're awesome for doing it.

Finding it was a miracle. >_>

The odds are not really that bad, depending on how you're playing and what you're asking. Given you found a shiny, what's the odds you find a shiny in the next 30 minutes? Depends on how many pokemon you encounter. Assuming it's around, say, 50 pokemon, and you're not in something like the Friend Safari or have the Shiny Charm, it's about a 0.6% chance. i.e. unlikely but very much a reasonable thing to happen to people every now and again after finding a shiny. If you do have the shiny charm the odds raise a lot, to more like 3.6%.

If instead you want to know the odds of finding at least two shinies in a 30 minute block, that's slightly harder to calculate but comes to around one in 43,500. i.e. much less likely. But I think this number is the more misleading one, the above one is more like what you were asking.

Ah, it was called chain fishing right? I'm still not quite certain how much that boosts the odds actually (was that what you were actually doing, though?)

I got my first shiny ever (also a Poliwhirl) through the chain fishing, even though at the time I was trying to hook a male Dragonair =o

I've never been lucky enough to find a shiny otherwise ;~;

Edited by Freohr Datia

I was just trying to train one of my Pokemon.

The Poliwhirl might have resilted from chain fishing, but the Basculin? It was my first encounter on that route at the time.

Oh no! You used up all your good luck. Now a bunch of bad stuff is gonna happen to you in order to keep the universe in balance.

In Diamond, I once found 2 shinies like within 10 minutes of each other (thanks to a high PokeRadar chain). The next day I was struck by lightning and hit by a bus simultaneously... but it was totally worth it!

Dang its always nice when you can catch em too, I remember along time ago getting a green golbat and a red gyrados (not the one that you can easily get, I got it fishing) in diamond and pearl. Hopefully those natures and IVs are good for them! Maybe soon I'll continue playing pokemon Y (I was at like the second gym and then started playing FE:Awakening and haven't got back to it since).

Oh yeah, and I'd like to trade with someone to evolve my Poliwhirl into a Politoed.

good

whenever i seem to want something in x/y, the rng says "fu" to me. well, having a shiny luxray compensates for everything though...