Site Update 3/29

Othin

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/index.html

New character stuff, as well as the tutorial video we've seen already, and updates to a couple of gameplay pages.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/system/training2.html

The skill page has details on some stuff we know and some stuff we don't. There's some stuff like Astra and Strength +2; also other things. I can't read many of them because I don't know much kanji, but they seem to include Refresh, which heals characters within three tiles by 20% of their HP each turn heals the user if no allies are nearby, and also a skill I'm guessing is Charisma. The first skill says something about "Double", and looks like it multiplies something by 1.5, but I'm not sure what. The second increases something on level ups. The first one in the second column also mentions "Double" in its description. Counter and Canto also appear to be back.

The skill in the lower right appears to be Defense Cry; if so, it appears Vincent's description is mistaken: it looks to me like it says it has a range of three tiles, and is therefore not terrible. There's also a skill above it that appears to have a one-turn effect on adjacent units only, but it seems to be different.

---

Looking at the katakana for Defense Cry, Refresh, and some other stuff, it says "3マス", which appears to translate as "3 squares". So yeah. I recognize the kanji for the lower-right skill as containing Defense, so it appears that indeed, Defense Cry is actually functional.

Edited by Othin

The first skill says something about "Double", and looks like it multiplies something by 1.5, but I'm not sure what.

Probably the chance for a dual/double attack with a partner.

Do we know if the <Stat> Cry skills use up a turn or if you can still move/attack afterwards?

Refresh seems very neat.

Probably the chance for a dual/double attack with a partner.

Do we know if the <Stat> Cry skills use up a turn or if you can still move/attack afterwards?

Refresh seems very neat.

It's my understanding that "Double" is associated with the command replacing "Rescue", that combines two units to fight together. So my guess is that it impacts the stat bonuses or something else as determined by that.

The Stat Cry skills say "Command" in their description, so presumably the characters can move, but not attack.

Edited by Othin

So, this Gyanreil was not a fellow wearing a mask, but is seriously the King of Pelegia. He sounds as serious (or dickish) as he looks.

I think Inverse's character design is also entirely revolving around the fact she is boner inducing. Then again, I'm not entirely fluent, I'm just kinda skimming.

Gyanrel - the dark king who loves conflict

King of Persia Pelesia. Cruel and easily distracted, he enjoys deceiving others.

Inverse - scheming femme fatale

Gyanrel's subordinate. A well-endowed, sensual, beautiful woman. Seducing men and leading them to ruin is her forte.

Tiamo - genius pegasus knight in love

(copy-paste magazine description)

She hides forbidden feelings (well, not necessarily forbidden... but well, "not gonna happen"-style) towards a certain person. Her class is Pegasus Knight.

Dony - generic villager

A villager from Iris. A common young man who likes plowing fields. As he had never gone outside his village, he's interested in many things. His class is Villager.

Anna - travelling merchant full of secrets

(copy-paste magazine description)

"A few learnable skills"

War knowledge - 1.5x exp gain when in Double

Good growths - +20% to all growth rates when leveling up

Mug - Luck % activation, gets a little gold when defeating an enemy

Secluded Lady - +10% avoid/crit avoid to all male allies within 3 squares

Refresh - at the start of the turn, recovers 20% hp if nobody is within a 3 square radious

Astra - Skl/2 activation, 5 attacks at half damage

Defender - All stats +1 when in Double

Counter - Returns damage when damaged by an adjancent enemy

Lightning Speed - act again after defeating an enemy (once per turn)

Pass - User can move through enemy units

Strength +2 - GUESS WHAT

Defense Cry - when choosing the "support" command, all allies within a 3 square range gain +4 def for one turn.

I think Inverse's character design is also entirely revolving around the fact she is boner inducing.

Indeed it is. She induces boners and ruins men. TF is going to be pleased.

Edited by TheEnd

I guess it's 20% of the original growth (50% --> 60%, not 70%). Still, wow.

Holy fuck. Does it sound like they can just use a command or move again entirely?

I guess it's 20% of the original growth (50% --> 60%, not 70%). Still, wow.

20% more chance of growth... yes, probably that. But you see, it sounds more like a convenience, since you can level forever.

Holy fuck. Does it sound like they can just use a command or move again entirely?

"Can move again", literally. And since they say it can only be triggered once per turn, I presume that means it's a full movement/action and not simply like canto.

Remember when I was making the broken checklist? Move stars: check

Edited by TheEnd

Well at least Anna's voice wasn't as squeaky as I was expecting (I was expecting something on par with Liz).

And the skills seem interesting. Even if it only adds 20% of the growth on top of the growth, Good Growth still sounds like it will come in handy.

Some interesting skills here. Most of the other info was discussed previously, so not much more for me to say. I figured seduction was Inverse's method of war. Not surprised with her design, if anything, it'd certainly work on several real world men.

20% more chance of growth... yes, probably that. But you see, it sounds more like a convenience, since you can level forever.

If you're grinding, it's a convenience. If not, it's a huge bonus no matter what.

And looking it over, it just says +20, not +20%, so who knows?

"Can move again", literally. And since they say it can only be triggered once per turn, I presume that means it's a full movement/action and not simply like canto.

Remember when I was making the broken checklist? Move stars: check

Well, I'm sure they'll be able to attack as part of that action. But rather than getting a full second turn, I'm guessing the movement part will be like Canto. Would be kinda absolutely ridiculous for a Paladin to make use of this to move up to 16 squares per turn, or hell even for a foot unit using it to move 12 squares.

Also, Counter sounds kinda crazy. Seems like it has 100% activation, and does full damage to anything attacking at range 1. As long as the higher difficulty levels stand up to their promise of making the enemies tough enough for the skills to matter, this game should turn out spectacular. Of course, hopefully, enemies will be using those same skills themselves, which should serve the purpose just as well.

Or maybe it's just bad acting... but I'm hoping it's not. Cause the delivery really sounds like a girl pretending to be a guy kinda thing.

So then the question is, is the actor a girl pretending to be a guy, or is the character a girl pretending to be a guy? Whichever of the two she is, she's failing quite horribly, so I agree in hoping it's the character.

Edited by Othin

My only gripe with the "pretending to be Marth" thing is that most people in the game don't know who Marth is, or know that Marth should be long dead. . . unless he/she thinks that their Marth, and they are not. . . still a girl pretending to be Marth would be more interesting. We can always use another awesome bifauxnen.

My only gripe with the "pretending to be Marth" thing is that most people in the game don't know who Marth is, or know that Marth should be long dead. . . unless he/she thinks that their Marth, and they are not. . . still a girl pretending to be Marth would be more interesting. We can always use another awesome bifauxnen.

To some extent, the thing is Marth is "The Legendary Hero King" in this game. The question would be why would anyone bother to impersonate him if he's been dead for so long. What would even be the point?

Dony - generic villager

A villager from Iris. A common young man who likes plowing fields. As he had never gone outside his village, he's interested in many things. His class is Villager.

:awesome:

I had a feeling the Gryphon Knights would get something like this

You mean like how no one in America knows who George Washington was? It's thoroughly established that Marth, the Hero King, is an important historical figure in FE13's setting.

As Shun said, the problem is entirely different. If some guy were to show up today claiming to be George Washington, it's not a matter of not knowing who Washington was or that he died two hundred years ago, but that he'd better have some damn good explanation and reasons in order to expect anyone to believe him.

Edited by Othin

I just noticed something. Marth's voice actor isn't even trying to hide that she's a woman voicing a guy. Could it be that this Marth imposter is female?

I've heard this theory elsewhere, and I really don't buy it for a minute. Plenty of young adult males are voiced by female VAs, and frankly, I don't know where you're getting the idea that she's "intentionally" trying to make things seems gender-ambiguous.

You know what does make sense? Marth being a zombie. Red eyes -> mask -> suspicious.

I've heard this theory elsewhere, and I really don't buy it for a minute. Plenty of young adult males are voiced by female VAs, and frankly, I don't know where you're getting the idea that she's "intentionally" trying to make things seems gender-ambiguous.

Female VAs can be capable of voices that sound less feminine as necessary to suit their characters. I've heard male characters sound that feminine or more, but only with a damn good reason.

what the actual fuck

This game seems to have a lot of things that are just significantly more powerful than in other FEs. I mean damn, an assignable skill that does 4 times more than Afa's drops? How broken does this shit get?

And something that works similar to movement stars is back... Wow.

Edited by ♈Aradia Megido

"Effective" doesn't have to mean "broken", just "relevant". Skills should matter - a lot - just as long as the game as a whole keeps them in check.

Speaking of skills, reading the new info Vincent added regarding the Change Seal system (need to be 10+ unpromoted to use it at all, 10+ promoted to access promoted classes), I'm going to withdraw my insistence that some skills will be class-tied. Let's say Gaia has Archer as a Change Seal option. In order to become a Lockpicking Archer, he'd first need to level up to LV10+, then either drop down back to LV1 as an Archer, setting him far back from a real promotion, or level up, promote normally, and then level up to being a LV10+ Assassin or Trickster in order to turn directly into a Sniper or a Horseman.

Meanwhile, for Callum to learn Lockpick as a Knight or a Priest, he'd need to get to LV10+, use a Change Seal to switch to Thief, level up to LV10+ again, use a Change Seal again, and be back at LV1 again, needing to get to the equivalent of LV30 in order to promote. To switch around directly from the promoted classes, he'd need to promote normally as a Knight, get to a LV10+ General, use a Change Seal, get to a LV10+ Assassin or Trickster, and then use another Change Seal to bring the abilities into one of his other promoted classes.

Either way seems like it would require enough work to earn what would function as a custom class, even if it's a weird custom class. All this leveling up needed certainly seems to thoroughly manage the Change Seals' effectiveness, such that they can only be used with care. It certainly cements them as a positive addition to the game.

Edited by Othin