Ilyana (FE9/10)

Wist

Preliminary Notes

This article isn't as well fleshed out as were the first drafts of the Sain article I wrote. This one will probably need a bit more work to be of favorable quality, but I hope it won't be very difficult to build off of what I've written so far. I took some information from memory, but I found support for most of what I stated.

Article

Summary:

The voracious Ilyana travelled with Muston and Aimees’ merchant convoy for four years before she joined the Greil Mercenaries at Ike’s invitation. Although she is a competent mage, She is most famed for extorting food from all of her acquaintances. Ilyana favors thunder magic and is the only character1 capable of wielding the SS level Rexbolt in Radiant Dawn.

Bio:

Ilyana is introduced in Chapter 82 of Path of Radiance when she is rescued from Daein impressment3 by the Greil Mercenaries. She is the first new recruit after Ike inherits his father’s command. In one of her4 few conversations in which she isn’t baiting for a meal, Ilyana assures Ike that she will prove useful on the battlefield and joins the fight on his side.

When she’s not on the battlefield, Ilyana’s primary occupation is scavenging. Her thin and frail appearance works to her advantage in her quest to dupe people into giving her food. Zihark is the only person she admits to being unable to trick, but he ends up buying her a meal despite his knowing about Ilyana’s artful hobby in deception. She rarely remembers the names of those who give her a meal, but she’s not heartless. Ilyana is particularly grateful for Mordecai and Lucia’s support, and she does nothing to mask gleeful pride when Ike observes that her magic skills are impressive.

After the Mad King’s War, Ilyana returns to Daein with the Muston and the rest of his merchant convey. She is next involved in the story at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 35 in Radiant Dawn in which Micaiah and Sothe release Ilyana from a Daein prison. Surprisingly, she remembers Sothe’s name without difficulty.6 Analogous with her honest desire to fight after her rescue in Path of Radiance, she is determined to fight the soldiers who imprisoned her.

After the events of Radiant Dawn, Ilyana again leaves with the merchant convoy that saved her from starvation years before.7

Numbered Points

1) Sephiran can use SS thunder magic as well, should I add an "aside from Sephiran" or "is the only non-secret character capable of wielding"?

2) Is it worth putting chapter names in?

3) As far as I know, impressment is usually used to refer to the abduction and forced labor of sailors. Is it incorrect to use it like this or can it refer to 'someone who is forced to fight' in general?

4) Should this be 'her' or 'the'?

5) Is it correct to have a period between the part and the chapter? I put one in there because cities and countries normally have a comma between the, but I don't know if this case would use the same rule.

6) I don't know if this sentence is too subjective or irrelevant, it was just something I noticed.

7) This ending definitely needs to either be expanded or absorbed into the above paragraph.

Feel free to point out anything inconsistent or controversial that I haven't noticed.

Author's Notes

As I said before, I think this article will need a bit of work. I have some rudimentary notes which I've listed below, but I wasn't sure what should and shouldn't be incorporated.

- Supports: Gatrie, Mia, Mordecai, Zihark, Lucia

- Joined in chapter 8: Despair and Hope, recruited by Ike.
- Gets seasick as explained on Chapter 12: A Strange Land.
- Began travelling with Muston and the merchants four years ago when she left her hometown.
- Continues with the merchant’s in Daein after Path of Radiance.
-Only sometimes remembers the names of people who offer her food
- Mia notes that she looks fragile, Ilyana attacks Mia's foot in desperate hunger at some point.
- Mordecai also notes that she is unnaturally thin and gives her money to buy lots of food.
- Mordecai protects her and also likens her to a squirrel.
- She remembers Mordecai's name easily.
- Normally eats enough for five people, famished when eating food for two or three.
- Ilyana noticed that Zihark is the only one who doesn’t give her food.
- Zihark tells Ilyana that she’s famous for luring them into giving her food but she never remembers their names.
- He eventually offered her food but she didn’t remember his name.
- Gets food from Lucia because she’s about to collapse.
- Lucia tries to get Ilyana to exercise which results in Lucia cooking more food for her.
- Adores Lucia’s cooking.
- Stole chicken wing once from Zihark's hands, took a lamb shank from Soren when he wasn’t looking.
- Remembers Sothe's name when rescued from Glaive Prison in Daein.
- Ilyana's out for blood after having gone without good food for so long.

I'll start with the easy things first ^^

1) Sephiran can use SS thunder magic as well, should I add an "aside from Sephiran" or "is the only non-secret character capable of wielding"?

I'd write "aside from Sephiran" myself. It's only a mild spoiler I think, and people might think he's still just an enemy character.

2) Is it worth putting chapter names in?

Nah, I think it's okay without.

3) As far as I know, impressment is usually used to refer to the abduction and forced labor of sailors. Is it incorrect to use it like this or can it refer to 'someone who is forced to fight' in general?

I haven't really heard of the word up until now. I'd probably recommend using a more simple word, or phrase, like "forced to fight".

4) Should this be 'her' or 'the'?

I think either works, but I'm leaning towards "her" right now.

5) Is it correct to have a period between the part and the chapter? I put one in there because cities and countries normally have a comma between the, but I don't know if this case would use the same rule.

Not too sure, but I think either way would work. I usually just do it "Part 1 Chapter 5", but that's just me.

For things to add/keep:

- Began travelling with Muston and the merchants four years ago when she left her hometown.

- Continues with the merchant’s in Daein after Path of Radiance.

These ones add a bit of history, which would be nice.

- Mia notes that she looks fragile, Ilyana attacks Mia's foot in desperate hunger at some point.

- Ilyana's out for blood after having gone without good food for so long.

Perhaps for a bit of comic relief ^^;;;

- Zihark tells Ilyana that she’s famous for luring them into giving her food but she never remembers their names.

- He eventually offered her food but she didn’t remember his name.

Can't think of any good reason to add them, except they kind of stick out in my mind.

Edited by VincentASM

Does Sephiran have SS thunder? I remember seeing that he only had SS Light and SS Dark (I could be wrong, but I don't recall him having SS thunder)

Thanks for the comments Vincent, I'll have another draft up sometime after the weekend.

CVG and Boo, thanks for pointing out my mistake with Sephiran. I hadn't bothered to check that because I assumed he could use all kinds of magic.

Edit (2008.11.02):

This article is very difficult to write for some reason, It's a bit better right now, but I'm having a difficult time keeping it both informative and well organized.

Edited by Wist