• FE6 / Sword of Seals / Fuuin no Tsuruji
    • FE7 / Blazing Sword / (no subtitle)
    • FE8 / Sacred Stones

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE6 needs more love :<

But yeah gameplay-wise I like FE6HM's difficulty best. Story, well... nyeh, and all three has characters I find likable. FE6 has two of my favourite chicks from the series though (Echidna and Millie), so that counts for something.

And then FE8 (SEEETH~), then FE7 because I didn't like FE7's gameplay much. Must've been the map layout. IDK. Also I'd rather take C7 of FE6HM than Battle Before Dawn any day.

FE8 could've been good, if I didn't hate all of the characters. FE7 because of story, replay value, characters, and challenges (not all seize chapters). FE6 could've really expanded and improved it's text/story and chapter objectives, but at least it had some cool characters.

I liked FE6 because of it's ridiculous difficulty and it wasn't afraid to make you mad...

Examples:

- Ellen only starting off with 1 MAGIC!!! (And only has a 50% Magic growth)

- Thunder Tomes only have 1 more power than fire tomes...

- Reinforcements come before the enemy turn starts...

- Tough Enemies. Sometimes, making you rely on Marcus to weaken them

- A Cruel RNG Goddess for this game

(I did not like the fact that almost EVERY chapter was a seize chapter).

I liked FE7 because of multiple difficulty selections, Its ranking system and the fact that there is no armory in the preparations screen. It had some challenge towards it...

FE8 may have been easy but i had a lot of variety into it. Trainees, A Split path that varies on the lord, Tower of Valni and Lagdou Ruins (Although it made the game easy, i liked all the maps)...

FE6 is my favorite though...

FE7, no contest.

I actually felt something for part of the cast of FE7. FE6's characters didn't really stick out (except for trollCath), and FE8's cast was bleh.

Gameplay-wise, I prefer EHM for difficulty. HHM gets too ridiculous (Battle Before Dawn, I'm looking at you), lolFE6RNG, and FE8's fun if I'm doing a draft on Hard Mode. Otherwise. . .*yawn*.

FE7. It's the only one out of the three that gave me the same feeling I felt when I first played Path of Radiance. Characters, story, replay value, and challenges. The only thing I find wrong is the fact that a lot of the content can be obtained while playing inefficiently. (But, and even though it doesn't hold much water in debates, The Eliwood X Lyn, Eliwood X Ninian, and Hector X Lyn CGs can be obtained while fulfilling the tactics rank. Same thing with "Shattered Life" and "Respite in Battle".)

FE8 was too easy and its story was bland, and only Joshua, L'Arachel, Dozla, Rennac, and Lyon appealed to me. (And I've only played it twice before starting FE7.)

FE6 is a hit or miss. The story, while not bad, like another user said, could have used some touching up and more chapter completion goals outside of seize. The characters could have used some touching up with some better personalities and/or more development. But some characters were awesome despite that. (I wish I could have known more about Idun.)

Edited by Little Al

I only changed my allegiance from FE7 to FE8 a few months ago.

Games are about fun.

Sacred Stones is the most fun of the three. Best story. Most unique chapters. Smallest cast yet best range of personalities. Great replayability. And some other things like promotion branches and Recruit class.

Sacred Stones gets my vote.

I've spent the most time playing FE7, which is probably because I like it more.

Which isn't really fair to FE6 or FE8, because they're pretty fun too. Just... in different ways, and to different degrees.

What I like most about FE7 is the wide variety of characters and how the Support system brings out each character's quirks; I'm glad they included the Support archive for that reason. I also like the wide variety of goals in the game (though, to be fair, FE8 had its share of rout, boss-kill, seize, and hold-out missions as well).

I like FE6 mostly because it continues the story where FE7 left off, although naturally some things first introduced in FE7 weren't mentioned in FE6 (like the fact that Eliwood and Hector actually wielded Durandal and Armads, for example). The gameplay is also fun enough, and the maps large enough, to make up for the fact that every single chapter goal is Seize, in my opinion.

In terms of characters and personalities, FE8 has less quantity but the same or better quality as FE7, so I really can't speak badly about it either. I would have liked more chapters and maybe some more characters, but I certainly can't complain about any of the characters we had. I must admit that, other than the main Fire Emblem theme, I didn't like FE8's music as much as FE6 and 7's, though.

One last note on the music: I really liked the fact that FE7 had its own unique theme, and how each of the main characters had their own variations on that theme ("Girl of the Plains," "One Heart," and "Loyalty"). It also made the scenes in the last few chapters with "Unshakable Faith" particularly poignant, as it's a triumphant, minor-key variation on the same theme that had been playing throughout FE7 (and to the best of my knowledge, in no other FE game).

All of the games have music that's unique to them, of course, but I don't think any other game has done so much with the same basic melody that FE7 did with... um, "One Heart" and its many renditions.

Edited by Paper Jam

(Not picking on you BTW, but replying to your post seems like the best way to clarify my own thoughts at the moment)

Which isn't really fair to FE6 or FE8, because they're pretty fun too. Just... in different ways, and to different degrees.

Yep. IMO FE8 is quite a bit different in feel from most other FEs (not just the GBA ones) simply because of the monsters (and the corresponding watering-down of WTA/WTD). But the other day I was chatting with some friends and let it slip that it's "not really FE" because of that, and pretty quickly agreed that it's really not fair to say that at all. 6 is of course different from 7/8 in being longer, having an obviously simpler engine, and being all seize-throne missions.

What I like most about FE7 is the wide variety of characters and how the Support system brings out each character's quirks; I'm glad they included the Support archive for that reason.

It would be better if getting supports weren't so dreadfully tedious, if the cast of characters were smaller, and more characters had more real relevance to the story. I didn't really think the FE8 story was that much more impressive (although I will grant it seems to have fewer plotholes, and the whole thing with Lyon is actually pretty cool), but I have to admit that you have more reasons to care about a much larger percentage of the blue team in 7 than in 8. (Although I don't like how so many of them in 8 have some direct tie to nobility...)

I also like the wide variety of goals in the game (though, to be fair, FE8 had its share of rout, boss-kill, seize, and hold-out missions as well).

Yep. Do any of the non-GBA games have "claim 3 points" BTW?

I like FE6 mostly because it continues the story where FE7 left off

? FE6 predates FE7, so this is a strange reason to praise FE6. It's rather FE7 that fills in the backstory that FE6 implied.

although naturally some things first introduced in FE7 weren't mentioned in FE6 (like the fact that Eliwood and Hector actually wielded Durandal and Armads, for example).

Yeah, this part always seemed a bit strange to me, actually. If your (as Roy and Lilina) parents wielded them, why do you have to re-track them down? How did they get lost again in environments vaguely resembling the ones where they were first found? This is one of the things I wanted to re-work in making a combined FE6/7 master hack/remake that I will totally never have time to do

The gameplay is also fun enough, and the maps large enough, to make up for the fact that every single chapter goal is Seize, in my opinion.

Yeah, I like large maps too. I don't feel like you can make up for that lack of variety by just making the game longer, though. The opposite, if anything. As for the gameplay... well, that's even more subjective. I feel like for the most part FE is FE though, so yeah. :/

In terms of characters and personalities, FE8 has less quantity but the same or better quality as FE7, so I really can't speak badly about it either. I would have liked more chapters and maybe some more characters, but I certainly can't complain about any of the characters we had.

More chapters, definitely. More characters, nah. You get too many in every game as it is, really. Honestly, sometimes I wish they'd cut to the chase and give you like ten named characters max (and all of them early on), of which you pick like 4 or 5 for a map, and then they each bring in a small cohort of generics.

I must admit that, other than the main Fire Emblem theme, I didn't like FE8's music as much as FE6 and 7's, though.

Can't say I have a preference in terms of the variations in the main theme. FE8 has some really awesome music. But really, I think all three of them have some awesome music - certain tunes really stand out to me in each.

But in terms of the actual sound rendering quality, 6 is inferior. Just compare the vendor music between 6 and 7.

One last note on the music: I really liked the fact that FE7 had its own unique theme, and how each of the main characters had their own variations on that theme ("Girl of the Plains," "One Heart," and "Loyalty"). It also made the scenes in the last few chapters with "Unshakable Faith" particularly poignant, as it's a triumphant, minor-key variation on the same theme that had been playing throughout FE7 (and to the best of my knowledge, in no other FE game).

FE8 does this ("organ" arrangement of Lyon's theme; Ray of Hope as a main theme rearrangement in addition to the one you usually get for the epilogue; probably some other variations I'm not thinking of), but not to the same extent.

Re 7, I would say that "Anguish", "Reminiscence" and "Shattered Life" are also musically related. And actually, if you shift the key, "One Heart" and "Loyalty" are not that different melodically...

But yes, I agree that "Unshakable Faith"... 'works' really well in the places where it's used. "The Final Battle" in 8 (the corresponding theme, I guess) works well too, though, and seems like the right kind of music for the situation, even if it isn't a rearrangement.

I think I have to give the nod to 7 overall though, just for the sheer quantity of music. The sound room is clearly bigger than in the other two games (and its interface is way nicer too IMO). Fun factoid from hacking experience: the total audio data for FE7, including samples, audio tracks, instrument descriptions etc. takes up about 4MB, i.e. a quarter of the available space on the 16MB cartridge that they packed it on.

Out of curiosity, how many FE games have you played? FE8's differences compared to other recent games look quite tame in comparison to just about any game before FE6, particularly FE2, and those differences are just as often in the form of added features as removed ones. On that note, to a lesser extent, the differences even look small compared to the differences from the rest of the non-GBA games... Are you even comparing it to anything other than FE6 and FE7?

Also, to answer your question, FE5's final chapter requires defeating the six Dark Warlords and seizing their spaces in order to reach Beldo, and FE6 has a similar requirement with two spaces in Ch22 before fighting Zephiel. So while they weren't strict objectives, they were part of reaching the goal.

Edited by Othin

It's a hard pick to be honest...

I prefer FE8 but for some reason I can't seem to get away FE7 only because of people's hacking prowess with it. :D

But for the game itself FE8 all the way, the customization within your characters makes me happy :D

Yep. IMO FE8 is quite a bit different in feel from most other FEs (not just the GBA ones) simply because of the monsters (and the corresponding watering-down of WTA/WTD). But the other day I was chatting with some friends and let it slip that it's "not really FE" because of that, and pretty quickly agreed that it's really not fair to say that at all. 6 is of course different from 7/8 in being longer, having an obviously simpler engine, and being all seize-throne missions.

FE6 is not longer than FE7. 24+7+4+2 chapters against 32+9+2+1. FE8 has 23 chapters, 24 if you count Ruled by Madness as being different on Ephraim and Eirika routes, and 16 postgame maps, so it's also longer.

More chapters, definitely. More characters, nah. You get too many in every game as it is, really. Honestly, sometimes I wish they'd cut to the chase and give you like ten named characters max (and all of them early on), of which you pick like 4 or 5 for a map, and then they each bring in a small cohort of generics.

More characters is more content. Having a larger cast of characters permits different ways of playing the game, extending replayability.

I choose FE7... Why?

Because There are too much characters in FE6... We can't play decently with all of them. FE8 is too easy, mostly because the extra map. But I like them too...

To conclude... LUCIUS ROCK!

Are you even comparing it to anything other than FE6 and FE7?

More or less guilty as charged. I've seen others in action but not played them. But still, "not all your opponents are necessarily even vaguely humanoid, even discounting the final boss" is unique to FE8, isn't it?

FE6 is not longer than FE7. 24+7+4+2 chapters against 32+9+2+1.

I meant longer in the expected/typical turn count sense. I'm totally not counting CC either. Having 300 missions you can do in FFTA doesn't make it "omg longest game evar". Hell, AW has a map edit mode; does that make it infinitely long?

More characters is more content. Having a larger cast of characters permits different ways of playing the game, extending replayability.

You can totally "play the game differently" with different generics.

Edited by zahlman