A Hack of Ice and Fire

Lungs

Hullo thar, Serenes.

Most of you who knew me from another time have probably forgotten me by this point (to be fair, I wasn't super useful).

I've always entertained the idea of a romhack, ever since playing MK404's thing all those years ago and revisiting Elibian Nights and Tactics Universe much more recently.

So, uh, yeah. I'm getting started (at last!).

Robert's Rebellion

It's been two hundred and eighty two years since Aegon Targaryen set his feet on the continents of Westeros and his eyes on conquering everything from the warm and bountiful South to the cold and frozen North.

It was said that the first Targaryens were more dragons than men. It was not difficult to see the nearly white hair, the violet eyes and the beautiful bodies as a sign of something superhuman.

The Targaryens became more powerful across Westeros yearly as the tradition of dragons set itself into the stone of the continent.

But as the blood - the blood of the Dragon - was preserved through the intermarriage amongst the dynasty, madness began to grow in the line.

But your line is by no means weak or sane either. You are Eddard Stark, the second son of Rickard Stark. Your lineage spreads through time, before Aegon was conceived and before Valyria fell, to Brandon the Builder, the engineer who erected the Wall, defending southern, civilized Westeros from the frozen reaches of the beyond. While the great Houses across the realm have sayings which expound knightly virtues and familial piety, your line carries only a warning for the warm summers of Westeros.

As years and years of Summer passes, you realize the warning becoming more dire. Your family has always enjoyed a cold relationship with the crown, but a relationship nonetheless.

But this isn't to last.

Prince Rhaegar Targaryen has kidnapped your younger sister Lyanna, who is betrothed to your childhood friend Robert Baratheon.

Your older brother Brandon had pledged to bring back two things from the ride down to King's Landing and the Red Keep, the historical castle of the Targaryens - your younger sister and Rhaegar's head.

But he does not succeed. The King, Aerys the Second, decided instead to arrest your brother and his legion for the just return of your sister. He has called the father of each condemned man down to the trial of their heirs.

You pray for the return of your family, but a darker sensibility in you realizes that the oft-spoken adage that runs as deep as your blood has begun to ring in your heart as well. Winter is Coming.

The warning held true. Your father, who demanded a trial by combat for his heir, was subsequently burned alive. Your brother was strangled slowly as he watched. Of the men who rode to the Red Keep, there is but one survivor - Brandon's squire, Ethan Glover. You are sent off to the fortress known as the Eyrie, to the care of your guardian Jon Arryn.

But now, as King Aerys issues an edict demanding both the heads of Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn refuses to comply. Instead, he raises his banners in revolt.

There is but a single whisper on the wind now, which you hope Robert would take heed of - When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die.

You will bring Winter to King's Landing.

Content

This is a chocolate hack - it will feature new everything, except general Fire Emblem mechanics. Even new classes (woohoo!) and imported classes from FE6 and FE8.

As we have never been told the whole story of Robert's Rebellion by George R.R. Martin, this is going to be fanfiction (though I will try to be as canonical as possible). In case everyone was aware, I did not create this epic story, though I certainly wish I did. XD

There will be either 9 or 10 chapters, beginning with medium difficulty and ending with high difficulty - I don't want this to be a ragefest, but I do want to challenge everyone. The maps will be epic and sprawling in size, and I anticipate close to 60 or 70 turns to finish the majority of the chapters.

Join Robert's Rebellion

I am, first and foremost, a writer. I can sprite characterstuff decently well, and I can certainly splice with arguable competence, but I'm going to need some artists. Alternatively, I can spend the next six or seven years tinkering with this :P

I dislike mapping very much (though I think I'm capable of it). So mappers would be nice!

But I can do the hacking stuff - I have experience using Nightmare and I'm reasonably sure I can use FEditor Advance with competence at the moment. I will also be learning event hacking to the best of my ability. Though I wouldn't say no to not-amateur hackers if they want to join the team.

Really, anyone is welcome to join this project if they feel like it. It's not going to go anywhere fast with just one person, though I do think if I continue working alone, the demo for the prologue (basically the events in the flavor text up there^) minus some of the more difficult event hacking will be ready in around a week. (Yay spring break!)

Edited by Lungs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try posting some actual progress if you want people to actually help :U

I won't devalue this project, but most people (Good spriters, mostly; myself included, only because making a good quality sprite can take a few hours) won't spend time working on something that doesn't have any progress, if only because we want to see the things we make actually get used. No progress when the topic is posted tends to mean it'll go nowhere; it's happened a lot on this site. So, yeah, might wanna try some of that. Just a suggestion.

Edited by seph1212

not really a demo, at least some screenshots of game progress to show that you actually did do something for it, instead of doing like what alot of people do and post their idea, get sprite help and then cancel their project, leaving a spriters work meaningless.

not really a demo, at least some screenshots of game progress to show that you actually did do something for it, instead of doing like what alot of people do and post their idea, get sprite help and then cancel their project, leaving a spriters work meaningless.

Fuzz this is why I like you

Yes, he summed it up pretty nicely. Graphics workers don't want to spend time on something that will end with them having wasted their time. So if you could compile some actual screenshots that show some progress, that'd probably be for the best.

Kk, I'll do that as soon as... wow, in context of your post, this sounds terrible... I have enough progress. D:

I'm not sure what you mean?

To me, it looks like you've only got a story, because that's all you've posted. And that means you've no maps, mugs, events, or anything else. If you actually do have those things, and they're inserted into your hack, take some screens of them. That's pretty much it.

Fuzz this is why I like you

Yes, he summed it up pretty nicely. Graphics workers don't want to spend time on something that will end with them having wasted their time. So if you could compile some actual screenshots that show some progress, that'd probably be for the best.

Nor do hackers

or mappers, or writers, or w/e, really.

Unless, in the context of hacking, it's something that can benefit everyone :P Then sometimes people will still contribute, 'cause it helps eeeeeverybody. But yeah basically needs progress.

Your writing seems decent enough to me though :) Better thought out than a lot of people, who have improper grammar or someshit

Anyhow i'll be watching this since you have more potential than at least half the noobs round here.

Essentially this is why most hacks don't get very far

- You start off with an idea

- You make the idea into something. By yourself. Little to no help (unless someone helped create the idea with you, i.e. two friends had this idea and then decided to start the hack together... think "Decay of the Fangs")

- You post your own hard blood sweat and tears on a forum

- People take interest and want to help

- ???

- Profit

Most people don't do step #2 because you're essentially saying "I'm going to do what professional video companies do with one person and I haven't even really learned how to hack, make maps, sprite portraits, insert music, or do anything else I need except for like, make ideas"

however it's rather reasonable because no one will help if they don't have a reason and the only reason you can really give anyone is making the project so good they want to improve it or something

THAT BEING SAID

Once you DO do that part, you're on your way. Most of the popular hacks right now started off with one or two main people working on it, then progressed to more and more people as people liked the ideas and wanted to help, even said help is with small things. IIRC Elibian Nights and Dream of Five are examples of these, with Arch (and I guess Nayr) starting off very early work on EN and Furetchen and ALS starting the bulk work of DoF, to my knowledge. Feel free to correct me in a typical internet-going douchebag manner if I've said something incorrect, I don't particularly care

my own thoughts on this project

the story sounds great. very great.

run with it

EDIT: P.S. I remember you

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

Son of a bitch, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing a few months ago.

P.S. if you don't include the Battle of the Trident and the Battle of Duskendale, children will die.

Edited by Agromono

@Jubby and Luffy: I'll do my best to do all of that. XD

The general idea is Brandon Stark at the gates of the Red Keep -> Three Battles of Summerhall -> Ashford -> The Bells -> Trident -> King's Landing -> Storm's End -> Dragonstone -> Siege at the Tower of Joy

Didn't Duskendale happen years before the Rebellion? (Aerys was captured there, iirc)

Ehh... some of the chapters don't feel like they'll work, if you keep them strictly canon. IIRC, Ned broke the siege of Storm's End without fighting. This means that a chapter devoted to Storm's End would have to be from the perspective of Stannis. But the siege lasted for a year, so it happens at the same time as a lot of the other battles, which means your units at the Storm's End chapter will have to be all new, and the timeline won't be very continuous. Your units at the King's Landing chapter will also have to be different from all your other units, but this chapter doesn't have the problems with continuity.

You have probably already planned to do this, but to further keep it canon, you might want to force the player to kill certain bosses with certain characters. So Rhaegar must be killed with Robert, Aerys must be killed with Jaime, etc. And Prf Ice for Ned. :D:

Edited by BigBangMeteor

I thought it would be a slight perversion of the actual canon - like, 20 turns before Ned arrives, the castle has been breached.

And like, your units trickle in some more every turn and you fend off the enemy until Ned finally shows up.

(It's listed as chapter 8x on my planning sheet).

Disclaimer: This is mostly a joke post.

Hey guys! This is the first image in the series known as "That Ain't Robert Baratheon!"

It is projected to last until I sprite King Robert. >_>

XQCAW.jpg

Note: The tactician, Ned, also known as "You", in this case, will be a playable character.

Didn't Duskendale happen years before the Rebellion? (Aerys was captured there, iirc)

Oops, I was thinking of the Battle of the Bells (Aerys was captured during the Defiance of Duskendale) with Jon Connington trying to find an injured Robert and no one would give him up. I'm pretty sure it was at Duskendale, at least.

You have probably already planned to do this, but to further keep it canon, you might want to force the player to kill certain bosses with certain characters. So Rhaegar must be killed with Robert, Aerys must be killed with Jaime, etc. And Prf Ice for Ned.

I have a good feeling Ice was with Brandon, so I don't think Ned would have gotten it back until near the end of the war i.e. Tower of Joy.

Edited by Agromono

[spoiler=Big plot/hack things]Yeah, I was thinking of spawning Rhaegar and Robert sort of the same way that the Black Knight and Ike are - only they're in the middle of the battlefield, and when the first battle (scripted) is over, the enemy begins running, and your objective is to rout them (while they escape, etc).

I was thinking that Jaime would be an event in which he goes from a red unit to a green unit when Casterly Rock attacks the Castle -

like, you're going to be coming into the Red Keep from the North, through the Godswood, through the sept, and to the middle section... err the Holdfast? I think - and then Lannisters will come in and kill everything while you're struggling with some units near the top of the huge huge huge map. And then halfway through, there's an event and Jaime turns into a green unit and performs a kill on the sickly and weak King Aerys (his fingernails are the only powerful things about him at this point iirc).

And Ned will get Ice back after King's Landing (close to the end - dat Valyrian steel is super sharp!). This ties in with the final chapter - when he's with Howland, the other guys rush ahead, and Arthur Dayne will kill the sh*t out of all of them. And then he'll rush up and Ice will negate criticals so Arthur Dayne doesn't get to use his +80 critical hit Dawn to good effect. The trick will be keeping Howland alive, I guess. XD

[spoiler=Big plot/hack things]Yeah, I was thinking of spawning Rhaegar and Robert sort of the same way that the Black Knight and Ike are - only they're in the middle of the battlefield, and when the first battle (scripted) is over, the enemy begins running, and your objective is to rout them (while they escape, etc).

I was thinking that Jaime would be an event in which he goes from a red unit to a green unit when Casterly Rock attacks the Castle -

like, you're going to be coming into the Red Keep from the North, through the Godswood, through the sept, and to the middle section... err the Holdfast? I think - and then Lannisters will come in and kill everything while you're struggling with some units near the top of the huge huge huge map. And then halfway through, there's an event and Jaime turns into a green unit and performs a kill on the sickly and weak King Aerys (his fingernails are the only powerful things about him at this point iirc).

And Ned will get Ice back after King's Landing (close to the end - dat Valyrian steel is super sharp!). This ties in with the final chapter - when he's with Howland, the other guys rush ahead, and Arthur Dayne will kill the sh*t out of all of them. And then he'll rush up and Ice will negate criticals so Arthur Dayne doesn't get to use his +80 critical hit Dawn to good effect. The trick will be keeping Howland alive, I guess. XD

Sounds decent. You could have killing of Rhaegar's kids for dramatic effect - maybe spawn Gregor and Amory somewhere where no one else can get to so that the player has to watch them mercilessly slaughter the kids. Also, are you assuming R+L=J?

Are you just using the original class for the tactician? I remember it working kind of oddly so you might want to create a duplicate class in case the slot is hardcoded or something :P

Idk if it but just in case.

Also Blazer I'm pretty sure DoF was originally community-ish and then a whole bunch of shit happened and they switched forums like 3 times and then Dan suddenly got put in charge of hacking. I recently rewatched some of FEE3 XD

I feel as though I should just replace Robert with Lyndis' slot and Ned with Eliwood's slot and just have them appear; removing the tactician entirely, etc. I'm sort of worried about the hardcoding, yeah.

[spoiler=Agromono]That's never been a question (RL->J, I mean XD)

I feel as though I should just replace Robert with Lyndis' slot and Ned with Eliwood's slot and just have them appear; removing the tactician entirely, etc. I'm sort of worried about the hardcoding, yeah.

[spoiler=Agromono]That's never been a question (RL->J, I mean XD)

If you're worried about the tactician input, you can get rid of that easily.

The way to skip it is to go to offset 0A0734 in a hex editor, and change the value 01 to 02. Yes, it was that simple xD

(Patch links for the Eliwood mode/Eliwood mode no tactician combo are in the video description)

As for modifying the character slot itself? It's the same as everyone else's character slot. The ONLY one with hardcoding is Natalie's "you can't look at my stats" character slot.

And you can have up to 4 lords with the Seizing ability with this:

The tactician class has some weird shit attached to it though. It screws up if you level up with it IIRC. I had a character with it back when I was just fucking around with the ROM for six months X3

The tactician class has some weird shit attached to it though. It screws up if you level up with it IIRC. I had a character with it back when I was just fucking around with the ROM for six months X3

Exactly. Just keep away from that class then. There's plenty of other slots if you expand the table. :P