Why do some people love Roy so much?

Glaceon10

I am not questioning it, though why do some people seem to love him so much, ignoring any and all Super Smash Bros.-based reasons? From my experience while seeing people talk about Roy, I have only seen hate.

Again, I am not questioning it. I am simply curious.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not questioning it, though why do some people seem to love him so much, ignoring any and all Super Smash Bros.-based reasons? From my experience while seeing people talk about Roy, I have only seen hate.

Again, I am not questioning it. I am simply curious.

More than likely this is a result from the community in which you are seeing things. There are really only two veins of people I see having a dedicated opinion about with Roy. One is originating from melee. My guess is that when the game first came out people see him as being smash friendly. Down Smash or Side Smash. This is really the only group I see liking Roy. The other would be a fire emblem approach and him simply not being very good in it. Therefore, people tend to dislike him.

When you play FE6 more than once you probably will not be looking at the plot or supports anymore ( maybe supports). In which case you really only care about the characters prowess. However, I only see Roy being useful in the first few chapters, then on the final boss since he practically 2HKOs without much investment.

...but but but... Roy's our boy! DX

I honestly haven't tried FE6 yet. But my impression on Roy as a unit is that he is mediocre with a frustratingly late promotion that ruins his viability/usability... I believe I did see a patch once that allowed Roy an earlier promotion...

Would that make him more viable?

...also, Roy isn't fantastic in Smash Bros. But he's still fun to use. Love using him in Project M to mess people up.

More than likely this is a result from the community in which you are seeing things. There are really only two veins of people I see having a dedicated opinion about with Roy. One is originating from melee. My guess is that when the game first came out people see him as being smash friendly. Down Smash or Side Smash. This is really the only group I see liking Roy. The other would be a fire emblem approach and him simply not being very good in it. Therefore, people tend to dislike him.

When you play FE6 more than once you probably will not be looking at the plot or supports anymore ( maybe supports). In which case you really only care about the characters prowess. However, I only see Roy being useful in the first few chapters, then on the final boss since he practically 2HKOs without much investment.

I know that it is not a popular opinion, though I have noticed some people of a much smaller group which seem to rather like him, but I never understood his appeal. I made the thread in hopes of an answer.

I honestly haven't tried FE6 yet. But my impression on Roy as a unit is that he is mediocre with a frustratingly late promotion that ruins his viability/usability... I believe I did see a patch once that allowed Roy an earlier promotion...

I believe that you are speaking of the "FE6 Redux" hack, and, to my knowledge, Roy is actually much better in that version, not only due to his earlier promotion, but also due to better growths and bases.

...but but but... Roy's our boy! DX

...also, Roy isn't fantastic in Smash Bros. But he's still fun to use. Love using him in Project M to mess people up.

Earlier promotion makes him way more viable practically by itself. There is a patch that does JUST this and he instantly jumps a few tiers.

I admit Roy is a pretty bad unit. He's useful early on and Chapter 24/25 but that's really about it. He falls off a cliff for around Chapter 11 to 23.

But, I can't help but admire him for being able to respond to bad news so calmly, while his supports show that at the same time he is incredibly stressed by having so much responsibility square on his soldiers. Particularly considering his age.

Roy the character is actually one of the best Lords in the series. The things he manages to achieve in the game are incredibly impressive.

A shame his awful stats tend to overshadow all this.

First and most important reason of course is ROY'S OUR BOY LOL

and I like how he always refuses merlinus' advice because merlinus sucks

Yes, but I have never read anyone argue that Roy is a good character. I was curious as to what the appeal is.

People like and dislike characters for many different reasons?

People can like a character just because they like them?

I think Roy is a horrible unit after the first ten or so chapters. But he is great for finishing the bosses and dragons in the end of the game. Stay boosters can turn him into an endgame monster...

Those chapters are FULL of axes, so he has WTA, and Chapter 10~11 is when he'll start hitting his level cap and fall behind.

He's by no means the best during those chapters (Hiiii Rutoga) but I wouldn't say he's bad. Mid game is where he's at his worst.

My Roy was so "amazing" in my hard mode run:

His stats before his promotion (level 20):

strength: 8

speed: 11

defense: 6

resistance: 2

Idk the other stats. He had about 35 HP (gave him an angelic robe). He had an level up average of about 1,5

He was just a walking target.

Edited by The Taninator

And to think Roy is supposed to be the awesome hero of this game and he's pathetic for most of it...

For me, Dieck is actually being better than Roy for curbstomping the ever living crap out of everything in the early game

And he also has no super-late promotion unless you wasted the Hero Crest you can get in Chapter 6 (I think) on Wade or Lot. Not so much a waste for Rutger, he's actually a really good unit

(Seriously... for me, Dieck is pretty much the human version of Sonic)

Edited by Yahoo (2)

And to think Roy is supposed to be the awesome hero of this game and he's pathetic for most of it...

For me, Dieck is actually being better than Roy for curbstomping the ever living crap out of everything in the early game

And he also has no super-late promotion unless you wasted the Hero Crest you can get in Chapter 6 (I think) on Wade or Lot. Not so much a waste for Rutger, he's actually a really good unit

Of course Dieck is better. Just look at his bases and con. Rutger and Dieck are the best first tier early game units in FE6. Without them I wouldn't beat hard mode.

Edited by The Taninator

I have a little saying which pretty much applies to every FE character:

You can turn a great character who is a poor unit into a great unit, but you cannot turn a poor character who is a great unit into a great character.

Roy would be the former, and a stupidly popular blue-haired lord would be the latter....

Obviously, the above statement does not take turn-counts into consideration. Just normal, casual play. =)

What I really don't get is the giant emphasis on character stats.

I mean sure this is an FE forum... but I get the feeling people miss the entire character because they're so focused on gameplay.

Which is why we even have this thread to begin with, IMHO.

I feel like he's famous for being so statistically pathetic, kind of like how Chrom's become famous for being the punching bag lord

I have a little saying which pretty much applies to every FE character:

You can turn a great character who is a poor unit into a great unit, but you cannot turn a poor character who is a great unit into a great character.

Roy would be the former, and a stupidly popular blue-haired lord would be the latter....

Obviously, the above statement does not take turn-counts into consideration. Just normal, casual play. =)

Darn, I'd post my current RNG abused Roy (chapter 13 atm) if I wasn't away from my Laptop...

Kid has like 19 Str and 18 Spd.