SSBB Tournament!

Zanarkin

Corneria

The right side is a great camping point and it's pretty difficult to approach if the camper knows what he's doing. Also allows for permanent wall locks but I guess they probably wouldn't work on wifi anyway, so bleh.

Skyworld

Has a small circle and the breakable platforms screws recoveries of most characters.

I don't have any issues with Delfino and Frigate, but if you add them, Lyat Cruise really shouldn't be an issue and stages like Halberd should at least be considered.

EDIT:

What kirsche said, BF should definately be in.

This, if you're going to be limiting make it one of these stages. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are sooooooo dumb for competitive play. For joke play, sure, they're great.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285744

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11312692&postcount=276

Both are standard stages for tournament play lol

While I'm there anyway, here's a collection of some analysis on all stages.

Edited by Chaoskitty

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

battle field is also neutral.

And I would play, but my nintendo wifi thing refuses to let me connect.

I was thinking on battlefield but then i remembered the glitch that lets you go right through the sides and i thought thats why no one mentioned it. Its okay with me if everyone agrees though.

Corneria

The right side is a great camping point and it's pretty difficult to approach if the camper knows what he's doing. Also allows for permanent wall locks but I guess they probably wouldn't work on wifi anyway, so bleh.

Skyworld

Has a small circle and the breakable platforms screws recoveries of most characters.

I don't have any issues with Delfino and Frigate, but if you add them, Lyat Cruise really shouldn't be an issue and stages like Halberd should at least be considered.

Alright, Delfino, Frigate, and Lylat Added.

Edited by Jhen Mohran

The stage set I'm most used to is:

Starter:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Castle Siege

Frigate Orpheon

Yoshi's Island

CP:

Delfino Square

Halberd

Lylat Cruise

Pictochat

Pokemon Stadium 1

Brinstar

Jungle Japes

I find it to work very well. If striking, it would be 1/1/2/2/2/1.

About the other rules, glitches should obviously be banned, and four stocks with no time limit? ... ..Meta Knight is here to rape.

Edited by mmKALLL

No timer would mean someone could camp their ass off for half an hour until the other guy rage quits (not sure whether anyone here would do that, but it's a possibility).

Well, I'd say just go with the BBR ruleset, but I have no idea how many people here actually follow that. Again, most people out of that loop I played didn't like the timer. So that's why I mentioned that idea.

How about Corneria?

Delfino Plaza?

Skyworld?

Frigate Orpheon?

Corneria = I hope not to ever have to face a TL or DDD here.

Skyworld = I hope not to ever have to get repeatedly get stuck in that little cave of life in the center.

Delfino & Frigate = Alright

Edited by Xeylode

The stage set I'm most used to is:

Starter:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Castle Siege

Frigate Orpheon

Yoshi's Island

CP:

Delfino Square

Halberd

Lylat Cruise

Pictochat

Pokemon Stadium 1

Brinstar

Jungle Japes

I find it to work very well. If striking, it would be 1/1/2/2/2/1.

Wait what? Whats CP? Also, what do you mean by striking, 1/1/2/2/2/1?

And Jungle Japes is a bad bad level. I don't think pictochat is very good since it can mess up people.

Well, I'd say just go with the BBR ruleset, but I have no idea how many people here actually follow that. Again, most people out of that loop I played didn't like the timer. So that's why I mentioned that idea.

Do you mean the BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.1 which people almost killed them for or the BBR-RC's Unity Ruleset?

I'd be fine with mmKALL's list, except that I don't get why Frigate is a starter over LC.

EDIT:

@Slayer

Counter Picks are stages that can't be used during the first game of a set, but later on. Striking refers to the process of deciding the first stage in a set.

Edited by Chaoskitty

Wait what? Whats CP? Also, what do you mean by striking, 1/1/2/2/2/1?

In the world of competitive brawl, there is a defined manner of playing matches. Counterpicking a stage after you lose a match is a way of how they play. Striking is the method of selecting which stage to play on at first.

Do you mean the BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.1 which people almost killed them for or the BBR-RC's Unity Ruleset?

I'd be fine with mmKALL's list, except that I don't get why Frigate is a starter over LC.

Not sure which, but most of the general rules in there :P

In the world of competitive brawl, there is a defined manner of playing matches. Counterpicking a stage after you lose a match is a way of how they play. Striking is the method of selecting which stage to play on at first.

Ah i see, although I rather have the players choose which way they want to do it.

Edited by Jhen Mohran

Well, I personally don't care for either Lylat or Frigate. In the earlier ruleset both were starters, in addition to Pokemon Stadium 1.

About the rulesets I'm talking about - I play in offline tournaments, and they often have similar stage sets around here. As for Lylat vs Frigate being a starter, I don't really know, since I seldom play in either and I'm not the one who made that list.

CP stands for counterpick. The standard way of choosing a stage in a tournament is by striking. Say, we had seven starter stages and that strike order - 1/1/2/2/2/1. Player one would choose two of those stages not to be played, Player two would choose three from the remaining five stages and Player one would choose the stage you will play on from the two remaining stages. The player who wins on that stage chooses one stage, 'bans' it, so to say, and the loser may choose any stage from the Starter list and Counterpick list. In the second match, that stage would be played.

E: And my name has three 'L' letters in it, not two. dry.gif

Edited by mmKALLL

Not sure which, but most of the general rules in there :P

Heh I see.

Well I guess for general rules the UR would work better as it's more up to date. For stages, maybe using the RR's 7 starter list a the group 2 CPs would be an ok compromise.

For those that aren't familiar with either, Unity Ruleset and BBR RR 3.1.

EDIT:

Ah i see, although I rather have the players choose which way they want to do it.

Well, it's used in case two people disagree. IIRC if both players want to play on a certain stage, they are allowed to do so regardless of it's legality (someone correct me on this when I'm wrong please).

Edited by Chaoskitty

Honestly, I like what we have already. I see no reason to make stuff really complicated for a fun tournament.

Making life difficult for everyone hehe :p

Well, it's used in case two people disagree. IIRC if both players want to play on a certain stage, they are allowed to do so regardless of it's legality (someone correct me on this when I'm wrong please).

Yea, I have seen this done.

Taj's Hylian Adventure XD

Edited by Xeylode

CP stands for counterpick. The standard way of choosing a stage in a tournament is by striking. Say, we had seven starter stages and that strike order - 1/1/2/2/2/1. Player one would choose two of those stages not to be played, Player two would choose three from the remaining five stages and Player one would choose the stage you will play on from the two remaining stages. The player who wins on that stage chooses one stage, 'bans' it, so to say, and the loser may choose any stage from the Starter list and Counterpick list. In the second match, that stage would be played.

How about this way of picking for this tournament, 1/2/1/2/L. This way loser picks at the end. In case of a Tie then the loser from the last match picks. Stages don't need to be banned, they can be picked again if the player wants to. Just to make things less complicated. Also i fixed your name.

I see no reason to make stuff really complicated for a fun tournament.

Agreed.

No timer would mean someone could camp their ass off for half an hour until the other guy rage quits (not sure whether anyone here would do that, but it's a possibility).

I totally would if I'm about to lose. :P

@PS1 and PS2 while PS1 is at least bearable for a counterpick that topic you gave is more or less one person's list of excuses as to why PS2 should be included, it doesn't change the fact that it involves more outside factors than stages like FD, Battlefield, and Smashville, which have very little to no stage interference.

Also if you complicate this too much people who play casual Brawl aren't going to understand and might not like it, I'd stick to a list of stages you can use and pick a method to decide who gets to choose the stage that is simple and doesn't involve counterpicking or striking. The more complicated things are the less interested people usually are to start with. :\

I just came back from a great battle in which I came out victorious.

My Friend Code is: 1892-9071-1950 (Anzus)

Although I can also be EMIYA, my stronger and luckier version. :awesome:

Also if you complicate this too much people who play casual Brawl aren't going to understand and might not like it, I'd stick to a list of stages you can use and pick a method to decide who gets to choose the stage that is simple and doesn't involve counterpicking or striking. The more complicated things are the less interested people usually are to start with. :\

Thats why i decided on the order 1/1/2/2/L. Loser from the fourth match picks. I don't think thats too complicated. Also, I think the stage list is good enough as it is now. If anyone doesn't want to play in a certain stage make sure you tell your opponent and come up with an agreement.

Edited by Jhen Mohran

Yes, I can see why striking and counterpicking would be hard for casual'er brawlers, at least at first. Even moreso, I completely didn't understand that 1/2/1/2/L idea - what about the first match of the set?

E: Ooooh, I thought that meant, as in the player strike order, since they are represented in the same way. If it's matches, that makes sense.

Therefore, I suggest the following; each player chooses the stage from the starter list in all matches, and the wifi will do the rest by randomly choosing either to use. Still, I require more rules - what about suicides and the event of sudden death?

Also, is this a single- or double-elimination? Double takes a lot of time, especially if not everyone is online all the time, but Single is quite unfair, and already half drop off in the first round. Also, think about the two best players being matched in the first round? The other wouldn't even have another game, while the other goes and wins the whole thing. Or some other format of a tourney?

Edited by mmKALLL

Yes, I can see why striking and counterpicking would be hard for casual'er brawlers, at least at first. Even moreso, I completely didn't understand that 1/2/1/2/L idea - what about the first match of the set?

What about the first?
Therefore, I suggest the following; each player chooses the stage from the starter list in all matches, and the wifi will do the rest by randomly choosing either to use. Still, I require more rules - what about suicides and the event of sudden death?
Stop complicating things. Just no suicides, and sudden death is honestly too hard for it to happen with stocks. Anywho in case it happens the win won't count and you will go into an extra match.
Also, is this a single- or double-elimination? Double takes a lot of time, especially if not everyone is online all the time, but Single is quite unfair, and already half drop off in the first round. Also, think about the two best players being matched in the first round? The other wouldn't even have another game, while the other goes and wins the whole thing. Or some other format of a tourney?

Its single, my experience with tourneys here is that they take too long. Using a point system would work, but again it would take too long. So singles it will be. Just do your best.

I adressed that already.

If anyone doesn't want to play in a certain stage make sure you tell your opponent and come up with an agreement.

ok cool. Because I only play in four stages:

Final Destination.

Battlefield.

Eldin Bridge.

The Great Sea.

Although Yoshi's Island (SSBB) may fit there. I prefer simply stages that don't try to kill you or are colorful enough to make you depressed.

Yeah, I already edited my post that I get your stage selection system, and that indeed is simpler.

As for no suicides, though, I can't let that be. If I'm playing Ganondorf, which I often am, I can't stop myself from recovering with his side-B. What if the enemy is caught while trying to edgeguard (and to complicate the matter, we are both at last stock)? It's not like it's my fault they are there. Sorta like not allowing gimping or spiking, imo. So we will just play an extra match because of that?

As for single-elimination - then, I shall extert all my force and strenght upon the opponents here, and be victorious! Well, in my dreams, anyway. ..Waiting for that August 9th, then, I guess.

As for no suicides, though, I can't let that be. If I'm playing Ganondorf, which I often am, I can't stop myself from recovering with his side-B. What if the enemy is caught while trying to edgeguard (and to complicate the matter, we are both at last stock)? It's not like it's my fault they are there. Sorta like not allowing gimping or spiking, imo. So we will just play an extra match because of that?

No suicide moves? That's like saying "no edgehogging".

Gonna have to agree with you in saying "that's stupid".

If you do that at a local tournament, they're gonna laugh you out of the room.

Ganon's side b is a legitimate strategy... and you can legitimately bait it out and punish it :/

Edited by shadowofkitty