Mafia Headquarters V4

Kaoz

If you're new, read this thread first.

In order to join a game, post in the respective sign-up thread. Once the game starts, you will receive a PM by the host with details regarding your abilities and winconditon. When joining a game, make sure to read the rules before doing so and only join when you expect to be reasonably active.

Blacklist (The following users are banned from playing):

Baldrick (by request)

The official Serenes Forest Mafia IRC!

Server: darkmyst

Channel: #sforestmafia

Ops: Strider/timaeusTestified/Reinfleche (Founder, owner), Paperblade (administrator, part-owner), Snike, Prims, Kaoz

People may request to be ops for the duration of their games.

Important: Do not impersonate other users on IRC. We will ban you for it.

If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this applet, type in a nickname that is recognizable, and type in #sforestmafia as the channel. This can be used to communicate for Outside Contact, or OC, games, and is generally a pretty reliable method to get into contact with someone.

The Search topic thing for individual users! (thank you Prims)

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&cId={TOPIC_ID}&search_author={USERNAME}
Replace {TOPIC_ID} with the topic number

Replace {USERNAME} with the CURRENT displayname of any give user

This gives each and every post made by USERNAME in that topic in isolation.

Hosting a game

Anyone may host games here. Be aware that we have a queue, though, so don't just make a topic and hope to start a game the next week. It is also recommended that you play a couple games before hosting one yourself.

In order to be put on the queue, games are required to be completely finished, so Role PMs, rules etc. have to be written out. If you host a game for the first time, you are required to get it checked by an experienced host before it gets put on the queue. Just contact any of the users on the list below. This process is also recommended for generally inexperienced hosts or if your previous game had issues.

[spoiler=Checker List]

If a name is written in italics, that user is currently inactive in this section. You may still ask them to check your game, but they may not respond or decline.

NOC

BBM

eclipse

Haze

Kaoz

Kay/San

Manix

Paperblade

Prims

Radiant Dragon

SB

Tables

OC

eclipse

Haze

Kaoz

Kay/San

Life

Paperblade

Radiant Dragon

Tables

You may apply to be on this list or recommend others.

There are two queues, one for large games (16+ players) and one for small games (15- players), only one game of each queue may run at the same time. You may post sign-ups once your game is at the top of the respective queue and the current game in that category is about to end. If you're not sure whether you're supposed to put up your thread, ask here first.

The complete rules for hosting a game and the current queues and ideas lists can be found here.

Games that took place on IRC have a dedicated thread here.

Edited by Kaoz

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, October 10, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, October 10, 2015 - No reason given

If you're new, read this thread first.

In order to join a game, post in the respective sign-up thread. Once the game starts, you will receive a PM by the host with details regarding your abilities and winconditon. When joining a game, make sure to read the rules before doing so and only join when you expect to be reasonably active.

The official Serenes Forest Mafia IRC!

Server: darkmyst

Channel: #sforestmafia

Ops: Strider/timaeusTestified/Reinfleche (Founder, owner), Paperblade (administrator, part-owner), Snike, Prims, Kaoz

People may request to be ops for the duration of their games.

Important: Do not impersonate other users on IRC. We will ban you for it.

If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this applet, type in a nickname that is recognizable, and type in #sforestmafia as the channel. This can be used to communicate for Outside Contact, or OC, games, and is generally a pretty reliable method to get into contact with someone.

The Search topic thing for individual users! (thank you Prims)

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&cId={TOPIC_ID}&search_author={USERNAME}
Replace {TOPIC_ID} with the topic number

Replace {USERNAME} with the CURRENT displayname of any give user

This gives each and every post made by USERNAME in that topic in isolation.

Hosting a game

Anyone may host games here. Be aware that we have a queue, though, so don't just make a topic and hope to start a game the next week. It is also recommended that you play a couple games before hosting one yourself.

In order to be put on the queue, games are required to be completely finished, so Role PMs, rules etc. have to be written out. If you host a game for the first time, you are required to get it checked by an experienced host before it gets put on the queue. Just contact any of the users on the list below. This process is also recommended for generally inexperienced hosts or if your previous game had issues.

[spoiler=Checker List]

If a name is written in italics, that user is currently inactive in this section. You may still ask them to check your game, but they may not respond or decline.

NOC

BBM

eclipse

Haze

Kaoz

Kay/San

Manix

Paperblade

Prims

Radiant Dragon

SB

Tables

OC

eclipse

Haze

Kaoz

Kay/San

Life

Paperblade

Radiant Dragon

Tables

You may apply to be on this list or recommend others.

There are two queues, one for large games (16+ players) and one for small games (15- players), only one game of each queue may run at the same time. You may post sign-ups once your game is at the top of the respective queue and the current game in that category is about to end. If you're not sure whether you're supposed to put up your thread, ask here first.

The complete rules for hosting a game and the current queues and ideas lists can be found here.

Games that took place on IRC have a dedicated thread here.

Edited by Paperblade
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

tips on how to make a good mafia setup

-

general courtesy note: avoid talking about ongoing games outside of the game thread/OC contact medium, because 1) you're probably breaking NOC if applicable, 2) may give away alignment tells due to that and 3) it's discourteous to the host of a game

converse also applies to hosts though: avoid talking about your game outside of IO's/co-host private contact unless it's something that needs public knowledge to players not reading your thread (eg: requiring a sub)

Edited by Curly Brace

• 7 months later...

Okay, if you've been around on IRC at certain times, or I've chatted with you about it through PMs, some of you may know that I'd been toying with a couple of ideas to try to bring our system for handling the HQs a little bit farther to the future. After a bit of work, the following Googledoc was born:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1r7uGI3L5gdHIxVDZIOWJUa24xdjNqdXdLdG5qQ0E#gid=0

The basic idea behind it is that on Googledocs, the Queue can be updated by multiple people, and not all of the responsibility/work falls to one person, be they Tables, Bizz, or Rein. With a clear set of rules, and the ability to check the change-log for mistakes, etc. it seems like a pretty good solution to the problem of nagging for updates, making sure people don't jump queue, and overall enforcing the general community mores.

That said, the current draft has a few slightly different takes on the rules to the ones we're currently using, and there are a few rules that, after discussion with others, I have proposed as good ideas.

However, these rules are not yet finalized, and I need community consensus before committing them as finalized. I'll present what I view as substantive changes from the current set, and the places I want input at the bottom of this post.

Before that comes the other issue. So you've created a google-docs. It would be pretty chaotic if just anybody could edit it, so there's got to be, in my opinion, a smallish core group of updaters. I've included a poll as to roughly how many you think there should be, and once we get an idea about that I'm planning to hold a secret ballot election where the mafia community here will PM me a list of names, and then I'll tally up and see who gets added to the access list.

However, if there are any objections to this method, or other suggestions, now is certainly the time and place to get those out in the open.

Rules changes/questions/clarifications/consensus.

• What I currently have listed as rule 3.
    This is an attempt to codify how we handle things like Choral Mafias, or other multi-site mafias. It is my opinion that if there is a sign-up thread or a game thread dedicated to the mafia, it should probably be on the queue.
    That said, I can also understand that coordinating with other communities can be tough, and if they have their own queue systems, at times it may be necessary to exercise some flexibility. So perhaps in terms of launching the game, maybe is shouldn't be completely fettered to the queue (though it should probably at least start there and wait until it gets to one of the top handful of games), but once it's running, I see no reason why it should be discounted as a game in the "currently running" slot. The only counter to that would be that as they tend to be huge games that last for months, that could stagnate things up.
    Also, for part c) we should have a more clearly established policy on how invitationals, or games without sign-up threads but rather the playerbase has been coordinated through either PMs or IRC are handled. As far as I know, there haven't been that many in the past: Prims ran one, Kaoz did one and is planning another, etc.
    My personal opinion is that as long as they're smaller-sized games (almost guaranteed by nature of having to invites), and relatively infrequent) I don't think they necessarily need to be held to the traditional queue at all. That said, they still use up memberbase and divide the amount of available gaming time, so maybe there should be a system for them.
    Okay, that was somewhat longwinded and inconclusive, but that's why I'm asking for input.
    Also next point of curiousity is
  • The old rule about 3 game cooldown before hosting again.
    Several people have complained to me privately about this, and then explained logically some of the reasons against. Firstly, assuming everyone's abiding by the only 1 game in each queue at a time rule, a situation where it's likely to matter is almost never going to come up and if it did come up, that would imply that nobody else was interested in hosting.
    A compromise has suggested that would simply state you cannot host or cohost two consecutive games. Preliminary talks with folks has tended to give me the impression that this adjustment is looked upon favorably, but it doesn't hurt for more confirmation.
  • The final two points of order are somewhat related in function, dealing with games that don't get started when they're at the top of the queue, either for fault of the host, or for failure to get enough sign-ups.
    My current draft of the rules was written based on a suggestion from another user that sounded reasonable to me. If sign-ups haven't been posted in one week, the spot is forfeited, and they switch places with the next game in the queue. If this happens more than once, it was suggested that the time allowed shrinks. That addendum may or may not be necessary, and if you have thoughts on that weigh in.
    The other problem, is if sign-ups simply fail to fill. This has occasionally happened in the past, but it would be nice if there were a clearly outlined method of handling it if it were to crop up in the future. My current draft I just picked random timeframes, and maybe it should more closely match the other one with 1 week and 1 queueslot drop, instead of 2 each, but I figured if you have to retool your game significantly that may take more time. Opinions on this plox.

Edited by Balcerzak

This is an attempt to codify how we handle things like Choral Mafias, or other multi-site mafias. It is my opinion that if there is a sign-up thread or a game thread dedicated to the mafia, it should probably be on the queue.

Agreeing with this. If there is a concern about that game holding things up (which is certainly valid), we could add a clause that it counts as finished once X% of our players have been removed or a set timeframe.

My personal opinion is that as long as they're smaller-sized games (almost guaranteed by nature of having to invites), and relatively infrequent) I don't think they necessarily need to be held to the traditional queue at all. That said, they still use up memberbase and divide the amount of available gaming time, so maybe there should be a system for them.

I'd just put them on the queue, they fall under the dedicated game thread from above. The only reason I asked for an exception for mine is that I'd like to treat it as an end-of-the-year special kinda thing (if people want me to put it back onto the normal queue I'm fine with that though, it shouldn't change much either way).

Although I guess this brings up the question whether we want to allow queue skips for "special" games, e.g. I think Iris had a Haloween special planned at some point.

A compromise has suggested that would simply state you cannot host or cohost two consecutive games. Preliminary talks with folks has tended to give me the impression that this adjustment is looked upon favorably, but it doesn't hurt for more confirmation.

Agreed.

My current draft of the rules was written based on a suggestion from another user that sounded reasonable to me. If sign-ups haven't been posted in one week, the spot is forfeited, and they switch places with the next game in the queue. If this happens more than once, it was suggested that the time allowed shrinks. That addendum may or may not be necessary, and if you have thoughts on that weigh in.

I wouldn't allow that to occur multiple times. If you allowed 7+6+5+4+3+2+1 days before the game gets removed completely, we're essentially wasting a month. Keep the rule that they get switched for the first time, but just remove them from the queue or put them at the bottom afterwards I'd say. Of course, this wouldn't get used if someone said ahead of time that they can't host at a given time, but that much should be obvious.

The other problem, is if sign-ups simply fail to fill. This has occasionally happened in the past, but it would be nice if there were a clearly outlined method of handling it if it were to crop up in the future. My current draft I just picked random timeframes, and maybe it should more closely match the other one with 1 week and 1 queueslot drop, instead of 2 each, but I figured if you have to retool your game significantly that may take more time. Opinions on this plox.

I'd treat it like the above for the same reasons.

I don't even know what's going on here (I clicked from the sidebar because I saw a Balcerzak thread) but one of the options is a heart so I voted for it.

Kaoz's points are good ones. Tomorrow I'll probably revise.

That said, the poll was overwhelmingly in favor that the number of the counting shall be three and three shall be the number of the counting.

ON THAT NOTE, YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO SEND ME SECRET BALLOTS WITH THE NAMES OF THREE INDIVIDUALS.

That is all.

That said, the poll was overwhelmingly in favor that the number of the counting shall be three and three shall be the number of the counting.

Thou shalt not count to four, and thou shalt not count to two, unless thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

(ilu, and sent)

Oh, for the record, it may be a good idea to iron out how we want to handle this sort of thing in the future.

Regular elections?

Replacements only when requested/inactive?

Just add new competent members if needed?

Other method?

I think that a regular schedule of rotations might be the best idea, as people join/leave the community, new blood etc. could be worthwhile, want to have a say in things. However, holding them too frequently is just going to be a hassle. Every 6 months might not be a bad idea, as a lot of things might happen in half a year. Other timeframes are certainly possible.

I suppose, I should also ask anybody who for any reason DOES NOT want the responsibility to go ahead and say so publicly.

It would be a shame if the results of the election come in, and then someone feels pressured to a position they don't want, or people might grumble about wasted votes if they decline.

Edited by Balcerzak

Okay, everyone has had enough time to get in the votes.

I won't say what the exact results were, but I will say this: 3 way fucking tie that was within plus/minus 1 vote of becoming an even larger tie.

Anyway, congratulations to the first generation of Queue maintainers:

Paperblade

Prims

Kaoz

I've contacted through IRC for their email of choice to be added to the sheet, and they'll be in charge right soon.

I don't know if we want to have a fresh thread for the new HQ or not. I suppose I'll leave it up to them to talk it over with each other and decide.

OP is now edited.

Furthermore, the second post now has links to various guides for both hosting and playing, we heavily recommend you to read them if you haven't done so already.

Lastly, elections will be held every 6 months.

Edited by Kaoz