Fates Character Design Opinions (Final Day #37 - Arete, Sumeragi, Anankos)

Naturesshadow

Next up, the flyers of Hoshido and Nohr, Caeldori and Percy:

#60 - Caeldori

post-22836-0-95270100-1477182958_thumb.png

Basically just Hoshidan Cordelia. The worst offender of the 3 clones in terms of originality.

#61 - Percy

post-22836-0-63166000-1477182975_thumb.png
Shares the same issue as Kana where I feel he just look's a bit too young to be fighting, but design-wise is better. Follows in his father's footsteps with the colour scheme and the mask, while a bit silly does make sense considering his character. It is amusing to see his voice being very similar to Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising, I certainly wasn't expecting to hear his voice in the role.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up, a ninja who looks familiar and the nervous knight, Asugi and Ignatius:

#62 - Asugi

post-22836-0-96268300-1477272811_thumb.png

Ninja Gaius. That basically sums him up. I hope that this cut and paste trope never comes back.

#63 - Ignatius

post-22836-0-21378600-1477272798_thumb.png

His armour design is similar to Benny, but taking the grey scheme over the black. Like Benny it works for him and I like his flowing hair in contrast to his father's buzz cut hair. His skin also looks more pale in comparison.

Siegbert

Book bro already said it but Siegbert looks like he could be a lord in his own game. If they ever make a direct sequel to Fates I hope they go that route with Siegbert. Siegbert's attire is very normal which fits a serious crown prince while that hair is weird enough to be a good fit with his more dorky side.

Shiro

In contrast to Siegbert Shiro pulls off the more folksy bulky lord. The Hector to Siegbert's Eliwood, if you will. Its a good fit and gives a nice contrast between the two princes.

Kiragi

Pretty much shota Takumi as far as looks go.

Percy

I'm a big fan of Percy's design. Everything about him just screams ''kid sidekick'' which is the logical way for Arthurs child to be. The shorts are a nice touch to show how boyish he is. With his role as a character and his voice Percy is basically Fire emblem's Pit and that's a very, very strong point in his favor.

Asugi

Asugi is a cloned Gaius which is enough to condemn him for me. It was lazy and cynical but Tharja and Cordelia earned their clone. I don't feel Gaius ever earned so much goodwill.

To finish off the second gen characters we have the master of Haiku and yaoi daydreamer, Mitama and Nina:

#64 - Mitama

post-22836-0-96155600-1477352722_thumb.png

I like this one. She's a cute little shrine maiden. The red/white maiden dress is nice and carries the Hoshidan vibe and I like the little tassel things in her hair. Pink hair looks good on her and the star pupils, while a bit odd are certainly interesting. I like that her father Azama also has those pupils yet we never see them. It's interesting that her in-game portrait changes when she's angry with her breaking her ink pen, I don't think any other character has a portrait like that. I like her carefree, mellowed out voice, and she get's some amusing lines (taking after her father), particularly when you see her in a shop.

#65 - Nina

post-22836-0-04486800-1477352702_thumb.png

Another one I like, probably my favourite of the children designs. It just clicks for me, the twintails, the little red robe, her cute facial expressions it just works for her. A nice mixture of elegant/sexy, with her voice acting attributing to that. It also helps that her hairstyle is one of my favourite female hair designs and the white hair is actually alright on her (I find white hair is an odd one to have for specific characters, the only Awakening kid I liked white hair on was Nah).

Edited by Naturesshadow

Ninja Gaius

He looks like a younger Gaius.

Iggy Pop

He has a cool hairdo.

Miitomo

I liker colour scheme. I will also forever associate her with Gran Turismo

Nina

I like her elegant choice of clothes. Also, twintails.

Edited by Nohr Noble Gardy

Mitama - I found her quite obnoxious and her eyes are too uguu sugoi for me. The rest is just typical miko fare.

Eponine - her design is not bad (although boots that loose would probably make it hard to run very fast). Shame she had to be nothing more than an overly obsessive fujoshi.

With all the playable characters covered we'll move onto NPC's, starting with Mikoto and Lilith:

#66 - Mikoto

post-22836-0-10146500-1477436961_thumb.png

It's a nice design. White and gold looks nice on her and suits her royalty. I like the gold piece in her hair, reminds me of what the Kinshi Knight's have in their hair.

#67 - Lilith

post-22836-0-28624800-1477436955_thumb.png

If I had one nice thing to say about Lilith is that her design is good...in human form. The blue fading to red hair is unique (similar to Peri's hair) and compliments her striking yellow eyes. Her blue/white dress is cute and it reminds me of Mozu's villager design, the hat is also quite cute. As for her "dragon" form...let's be honest that's no dragon, it's a bloody flying squirrel fish. I think this game was really stretching the definition of a dragon and Lilith certainly ain't one.

Mikoto - she is definitely pretty. Her crown looks goofy, but so do most real-life crowns. Not a bad design.

Lilith - her human form is cute (although she has a thousand yard stare in the picture provided). Her dragon form looks pretty dumb.

Lilith may not in any way resemble a dragon (or a bird, for that matter, what the hell? Was that a translation error?), but I still think she's absolutely adorable. I wish she had been integrated into the game more and maybe made into a real playable character along with that cute feeding minigame.

Maybe then we might have given a shit when she died.

But probably not. Her model looks really stupid dying. Maybe if she had died in a more dignified and less stupid way on top of being a part of the main party...

Edited by Alastor15243

Next up, the villains of Nohr, King Garon, Iago, Zola and Hans:

#68 - Garon

post-22836-0-02120500-1477522587_thumb.png

He's certainly evil looking. His beard confused me at first as I thought the white part was part of his mighty coat. Turns out that it's part of that little black part of his beard, an odd combination. His flashy gold/black combined with that mighty coat give him a mighty presence also helped by his booming, sinister voice and I quite like his shit eating grin,

#69 - Iago

post-22836-0-26222600-1477522550_thumb.png

He looks like a bit of an actor with that gold mask. I wonder if he originally came for Nestra. It's a solid design and his voice makes him sound posh.

#70 - Zola

post-22836-0-10618700-1477522544_thumb.png

This guy looks like such a sneaky little weasel, with those droopy eyes and that hand pose. The little hat is quite cute though. Looks like he's ready to hit the hay.

#71 - Hans

post-22836-0-65025600-1477522545_thumb.png

Mr thumbhead. Quite the muscles he's got. Pretty much what you expect from a 100% evil general (which could apply to all of the above too).

And finally we end things off with Arete, Sumeragi and Anankos. From this point on other characters may be discussed (like the paralogue bosses, generics, etc). I was originally gonna start another design discussion thread based on the Awakening characters after completing this one but due to the lack of responses this thread has gotten lately I've lost the motivation to do so. I may do it in the future though.

#72 - Arete

post-22836-0-45732100-1477605947_thumb.png

She's certainly different in comparison to her daughter. Alot more black and alot more cleavage. Certainly an exotic design.

#73 - Sumeragi

post-22836-0-40992200-1477605942_thumb.png

I can see where Ryoma got his magnificent hair from. Hell it could make for a weapon on its own. As the previous ruler of Hoshido his armour is alot more white than his son's which carries the countries traditional red scheme. It makes for nice contrast though and he's got quite the fancy helmet.

#74 - Anankos

post-22836-0-94007700-1477605931_thumb.pngpost-22836-0-93824000-1477605936_thumb.pngpost-22836-0-11123200-1477605927_thumb.png

Well he's certainly more of a dragon than Corrin and Lilith. Actually that raises the question, if Corrin and Lilith are his children, why do their dragon forms look nothing like Anankos? For that matter, if him and Lilith both have blue hair, why isn't Corrin's default hair blue? if there was anytime where the blue haired lord would be appropriate, this game would have been it. Hell Mikoto had black hair so where did the white hair come from? Anyway, Anankos is quite an interesting looking dragon. the eyeballs in his mouth are pretty freaky, as well as his masked face. His attack animation in his final form is...rather odd. The blue fireball is fine and all but why does he have trees growing out of his head when he attacks? It's just a bit weird.