Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

Luc Altair

The laid-low fol kept his tongue flapping as he bragged about not fearing death. Death was useless, it couldn't be used. And Luc had no intention of killing the fool himself, or letting anyone else do it. But just to prove him wrong it seemed, was Reika, holding her Crimson to his throat ready to bloodlet him. The man almost seemed eager for it, as he spoke of how she was the mole for his group. If Luc hadn't already realized that long ago, it might have come as a shock, but now the response of others to that news would be more important. Morgan was almost entirely unperturbed by the information, and she was possibly the one who's reaction mattered most, and most likely to not overact. But it seemed, the one he needed to look for an overreaction for was Reika, as she stabbed the fool through his jaw! "No!" Luc yelled far too late. But it was done. Dammit, they could have used him!

Charlotte's reaction was a bolt of lightning as she chewed Reika out. Morgan was once again putting the notice of this group beneath care. Bah, brushing them away like dirt under a rug wasn't the best course. He desired at least to learn their base location but, if Reika had been there, there was still some action he could take.

Reika came back, attempting to call out Princess Charlotte for hypocrisy. Such a thing would never work, as the two argued with the Princess going so far as to call Reika an evil bitch and Reika calling her a twat. And then a recently healed Aiya moved into the conversation. Luc recalled the disastrous last meeting the two women had and needed to stop it before both reopened their wounds. "Enough of this!" Luc shouted, almost letting irritation get the better of him. "Death justified or no he was better off alive until he told us everything of use about that organization! So Reika, unless you can draw a map to where that base you visited is or their force numbers or their future plans beyond "continually attack us" I suggest you back down on this."

CHASE!

Chase inched over to the big yellfest meeting and listened in intently. Waiting until he would be needed.

The Fargo

Fire! Fire everywhere!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illusion Shattered

Elle had continued to stand vigil by Helios, even has he was healed by Charlotte, - she mouthed "Thank you" as the cleric turned away- and tried to block out the rest of the conversation. This attempt failed rather spectacularly, as a girl she didn't recognize went over to Njord, and confirmed he was only knocked out. Charlotte healed him a bit, but then the druidess who seemed to have chased after Helios earlier went and tied him up, as he came to a start.

"....Elle. Good to see you're still alive," were the first words that came out of his mouth, and for some reason, this lightened the woman's heart. He really did care about her, after all. This joy, if it could be really called that, only lasted a few moments, as then Charlotte immediately asked him about Elle's memories. Finally, the mix-up would be revealed...

"...That was the clown who erased her memories...," the thunder sage heard, confused. Surely she had misheard that. There was no way that Njord had let Geraro, that monster, change her memories. He had to have denied memory tampering, Elle decided, anxious. She trusted Njordjenka, and he would set things straight. He had to.

"Dani...So that's what her name was. I see," Njordjenka said, and the world shattered.

The Crimson Wielders had been right. Elle WAS Danielle. She had lost her memories, because of the organization. Njordjenka had let Geraro tamper with her mind. All that time preparing, all that supposed friendship, everything, was a lie. Njordjenka and the others had used her, like a tool, to harm their enemies, which were her friends. And now, she truly was alone, since she couldn't even remember her friends, or even her brother. Some friend she turned out to be.

Deaf to the conversation, Elle,-or rather, Danielle - merely stared blankly at the ongoings, until she came to her senses, just as Reika summoned her knives. Time seemed to freeze, as the rogue slit Njord's throat, and the blood spilt out. It was simply too much for the thunder sage to handle. Rising from the ground, and sent green lightning at Reika, with all her might.

"Ahhh! Shit!" Reika cried out, lightning striking her back. Kneeling and wincing in pain, Reika snarled and tackled Dani, getting on top of her.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Reika snarled, hitting her in the jaw. "You little bitch! I should've known you were just as bad as those creeps after all!"

Charlotte walked over to Aiya who had entered the conversation, a bit concerned as the soldier seemed to have problems standing up. "Are you all right?" she asked her, ignoring Reika's latest jab for the moment.

The situation has escalated quickly, yet another intergroup confrontation involving Reika it seemed. Morgan took her tome with both hands and clobbeered Reika on the side of the head, seperating the two women.

"Enough of this nonsense. Stop trying to kill each other, we have enough enemies without these pointless intergroup scuffles. If you do not stop this sort of behavior, I will be forced to perform a memory modification on you Reika. Do I make myself clear?" Morgan asked Reika, who was sprawled out on the ground after the tome attack.

"Bloody hell....Are you crazy or something? Psycho bitch just tried to kill with lightning. What am I supposed to do, just shrug it off? Of course not. Anyway what are you blaming me for? Those two were the ones who started this mess anyway," Reika snarled at Morgan.

"Reika, you have started multiple physical confrontations with members of this group and just killed a prisoner. Do you somehow think you are blameless for all these instances? Your actions make life far more difficult for yourself than Just sit down, shut up, and stop trying to get yourself killed. I will defend you if necessary, but you need to stop antagonizing every member of our little group," Morgan said, keeping a watchful eye on Dani to see if she would shoot any more lightning.

"Oh come on! You were going to kill him anyway. Did you miss the part when he was refusing to talk or are you just stupid? You guys got some nerve admonishing me for killing him. Besides, if they just kept their mouths shut, this would never have happened. But no. So just shut the hell up you cunt. By the by, you should consider getting whatever is up your ass out of there. It must hurt like hell."

Edited by Dark Sage

(I suppose to say that there is harmony lacking among the crimson wielders would be quite the understatement. How have they survived this long?) There was no further point in listening in on the argument, but said argument apparently would not go unheard. Raemond sighed silently to himself, closing his eyes and sensing the various presences around him. He could just barely recognize a distinction between the various presences: being able to tell that there were multiple sources to the demonic energy all around. He could even tell how many were in which direction if he focussed on it enough. (At least I might be beginning to distinguish between some of them... Agh, my head...)

~~~~~~~~~

All the yelling was annoying and even somewhat intimidating. Beau just wanted to rest at this point. He glanced around, again wishing the carrage was among them. He noticed that the driver wasn't with them either. Somewhat confused, he did a quick inventoy of those around and about again. He hadn't taken much note as to what the carrage-driver looked like, so he wasn't entirely sure if he was around or not. Luc was upset but it seemed the woman he had been lecturing was engaged in another conversation now. Walking the short ways back to Luc's side, he looked up at him quizzically and asked, "Do you see the carrage-driver about anywhere?"

~~~~~~~~~

The conversation didn't interest Esphyr in the least bit. Instead, she was using a corpse as a pillow, watching the clouds roll by.

As Charlotte made her way over and inquired as to her condition, Aiya grimaced as she let go of her brace and allowed herself to fall into a sitting position.

"I can't say for sure... I got hit by that druid pretty hard... either this is a side effect of some lingering unholy mess tearing through my veins, or I'm just getting out my last coughs before death." Aiya replied, clutching her stomach in pain.

"But hell if I know which one it is... someone like you would have better luck finding that out... closer to the goddess and all."

Luc Altair

And no one listened. Danielle, likely enraged by the whole farce presented to her lashed out at the most visible source of grief available. Reika. The unique green lightning of the thunder mage slammed into the rogue girl, but Reika was about to simply take that, and pounced back at her assaulter. The sheer stunning stupidity of the scene before him kept the paladin from taking any action of his own, so it was Morgan who drove the two women apart. And, for the second time since he had joined alone, the druidess threatened the rogue with a memory alteration to force her compliance. The back and forth between the two was as typical as seen before. He would need to put a stop to this soon, no matter how much they tried to ignore him it wouldn't last forever.

But before he could, Beau and come to continue speaking. Carriage-driver? That meant Fargo and he was... nowhere, Luc realized after a look around. Had he gotten lost in the forest? "Thank you for reminding me Beau, and my apologies for cutting our earlier conversation short."

The Fargo!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" Fargo screamed as he and his horise charged off the edge of the forest and to a nice cool not-on-fire-just-near-it area. Which just so happened to be where everyone else was dammit! Oh well, he could hopefully get some healing for all his burns before...

"Fargo."

The cavalier with his name called turned around, dreadfully knowing who spoke. "Yes Captain?"

Luc Altair and the Fargo

"Where have you been?" the Captain asked, his patience trying.

"Oh here and there and on fire!" Fargo shouted. Where the hell else could he have been jeez.

"You're fine."

"No I'm not! Look at my total lack of a beard! I need healing immediately!"

CHASE!

Enough was enough! Chase charged in next to Morgan, summoned Zephyrtwine and pointed it at the damn thief! "You," he growled at Reika. "You're the damn worst one here by miles, you don't get to be a judgmental bitch!" He glanced at Morgan. "We should just let her rot! We don't need her wielding the weapons, just them!"

Luc Altair

And then things became more complicated as Chase jumped into the fray, all ready to shoot Reika where she lay.

Conrad:

The general prepared to turn his axe on the insane druid if needed, but the former guide had already landed the killing blown, severing the man's life completely. Taking an estimate of the fallen combatants, the battle appeared to have gone relatively well for the party; only five of their own had fallen, the two Haltonians, wind sage, and the two thieves, while the enemy had been effectively negated.

Unfortunately my questions will have to wait until after they are healed. He turned towards Jasmine at her approach. "Thank you Sergeant. Bring the healers to anyone still downed or with major injuries," seeing the healers already in the process of lending aid.

General Jackson walked over to the young bard. Charlotte had given a modicum of healing to the enemy thunder sage before he was tied up by Morgan. Reika was an informant for this particular group, of all things. Her poor decisions had proved beneficial for the group though. An enemy routed, its leader gone… there were worse situations. The party cannot be rid of her, but her troublemaking must be stopped. That man could have been interrogated further as well, with the proper catalyst, unfazed by the scream. Such a waste.

"I agree," Conrad spoke up after the Directus count put in his words. "There is no need to start another argument here." His words were well ignored though, as Danielle attacked the thief for her murder, threatening to send the situation spiraling out of control.

"Quiet," the Elyisiman general commanded. "We don't need to create extra casualties for our healers to deal with. While this enemy sage would have been more useful alive, what is done is done. Put that bow down Chase," he ordered flatly, as the archer blundered in.

Conrad placed himself between bow and knife wielder, hoping someone else would be sensible enough to restrain or calm down the thunder mage as well. My armor is more effective against physical attacks, anyhow.

Heinz:

The mercenary tugged a knife loose from his belt, a slight frown on his face. Shouldn't be a problem to hit him from this distance, noting as the myrmidon moved away, seemingly in slow motion as Heinz readied a killing blow, only then sensing the impending danger.

"Oof," he grunted, glaring at the still alive myrm who had been shielded from the full brunt of the dark magic. Normally he was fast enough to dodge magic blasts, he thought, exhaustion dragging his eyes closed.

Heinz groaned slightly as he awoke, pain still clutching to his back as he tried to pull himself up; the priest was already walking away towards the next patient. Soon afterwards the shaman walked over, taking the spare cord from his person. A slight panic hit Heinz at that moment, were they going to attempt to tie him up? His fears were quickly alleviated though, as Morgan moved away again. Wouldn't make sense anyway, they don't have a reason to, stiffly pushing his weight onto his feet.

Should make sure I haven't run out of that rope, casting a glance at Ralf, who was quietly munching on grass nearby some of the other horses. Heinz blinked, stepping forwards as a scream pierced the ear. Passing Raemond on his left, the mercenary retrieved his rope, unloosening it from the dead man's body. Captured at their base, hm? Explains why she went missing for awhile.

He smirked as the amnesiac lost her temper and sent a bolt of lightning at the female thief. The attack was predictably followed by swift retaliation before Morgan separated the two with her tome. A few others, namely the man from Directus, the archer, and the Elyisiman general stepped in. Yet another argument, eh? The shaman is willing to put up with more than most, but her authority won't hold forever. She'll be too late to stop things one time, and no healer can fix a dead body, Heinz mulled.

Edited by the_whistler

"You're fine," Beau echoed. He didn't want to expend any more energy on healing for the moment. Though apparently this was the carrage-driver and Luc was, in fact, his captain. In addition, the man's name was Fargo. Now the thanks Luc had given made sense, since before Beau hadn't known the carrage-driver had been his subordinate. As for the conversation, he didn't really mind it being cut short due to the circumstances, though continuing it at some point would be desirable in light of this new information. The young heir wondered whose forces the pair belonged to.

Edited by Mercakete

"The Crimson Weapons are not merely physical objects Chase, if Reika were to die now the knives would be lost with her. Severing her and then killing her would allow us to retain the knives, but we do not have that power. Working with demons is obviously out of the question, so we will simply have to not kill each other for a while. After we defeat the Lord of Azure Flame, you are free to attack each other as you wish," Morgan said, rolling her eyes.

"I don't see why you wouldn't work together," Raemond muttered under his breath, being sure he wasn't heard by any of the others, "You're demonic enough." (Even the ones who claim to serve "the godess.") The memory of Altea's death resurfaced as Raemond kept his gaze to the corpses littering the battlefield. (They don't even burry them... No respect for the dead...) The monk closed his eyes, trying to get rid of the familliar scene. There was nothing he could do about it, so why worry about it now?

Luc Altair and the Fargo

Yet another stepped in, as Conrad arrived and placed himself between Chase and Reika. Perhaps Luc should help and place himself between Reika and Danielle. While waiting for the standstill to dissolve, Beau consolled Fargo with a simple "you're fine". That wouldn't please the former bearded man at all. "No bellyaching Fargo." Luc cut off any potential complaints from his subordinate beforehand. He needed to commit to the scuffle.

"Yes sir," he replied.

CHASE!

"But!" the archer tried to argue but couldn't counter anything Morgan had said. "Fine, alright, if you say so." And he lowered his bow.

Luc Altair

Morgan's hypocrisy with working with demons was an interesting statement. No doubt when Isotov and Irina returned, that demon would be nearby. It was possible to use it to their benefit if need came. But, that was for the future. Still, it might require discussion with Morgan sometime in the future.

When Damian's body had been rag-doll tossed by the rampaging Dark Druid after the lancer's unsuccessful bid to down the man, it had landed nearly directly in front of Tessa. It was an unexpected shock to say the least, and his body still twitched a bit from the elder dark magics of the blast. Instantly on her knees, she began to act, to make sure he was stabilized. Esphyr had swung by, while she was in the middle of working, and called out to her other targets for healing. Pausing for a moment, she glanced up and noted that the battle had routed, giving barely a small indication she'd registered the other woman. It had been a useful thing, yes, and she'd try to remember to thank the mercenary later, but the present was occupied.

Damian's mana network was pretty badly ravaged, and it was never one that was very strong to begin with. It had been a bit reckless of him to charge in like that. He hadn't seemed possessed, but rather just his normal self, so at least there was that. He had been holding another lance as well, though... odd. Sorting out the worst of the injuries and healing them in time, she paused a bit. The colonel was down, and for now he was stable, yet a couple of doubts started to creep in. He'd acted off in the morning, and this dark magic... couldn't be healthy for that. Could it interfere with whatever Ixion had been doing? Make things a little more than just the 'off' from earlier?

She'd found herself reaching into her bag, and her fingers curled around the Restore staff. She was intensely curious. Then, Esphyr's word from earlier drifted through her mind again. "When you're done with him, Aiya could use some help, too!"

Shaking her head, she let drop the staff she'd been about to pull out, lay one last gentle hand on Damian, confirming he was going to be alright. It had just been a battle, things were still broiled in the chaos. She couldn't afford to get completely tied up in personal investigations, not just yet, not when people might still be dying! Chastising herself for the distraction she had almost allowed to fully consume her, she got up, and made the rounds, checking in on the remaining wounded.

They were surprisingly in low numbers and many had already been properly attended to. Here or there she helped to touch up a few things, but Charlotte had attended Helios before turning to one of the downed enemies where she had had her hands full. Beau had covered Heinz and Reika while she was tending to Damian, and while there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the way he'd handled things, she couldn't help but feel he handled things in a cold and impersonable manner from what little she had managed to catch of it. Still, Esphyr had directed her to Aiya, and carefully tending after the other woman, thankfully with no bizarre or frightening failures this time, praise The Lady, and she had moved on further, trying to gauge if there was anything left that needed doing. Perhaps Kelas? She'd seen Arrin healed in the middle of the fight, so maybe that had been a rush job too... Or maybe, maybe now there was time?

Biting her lip, the young girl stood in indecision. Indecision that later turned to shock as Reika murdered their captive in cold blood, and then a fight broke out between Elle and her, and just... oh dear. What to do?

There wasn't a whole lot left to be done other than observe. As Beau's eyes slipped back over the rest of the group, he noticed Tessa checking up on people he'd already healed. It was offensive since he always made sure to heal his patients completely and, in fact, it had resulted in an energy drain. Today was not going well in the least bit and all he wanted to do was nap it off. And yet, there was nowhere to do that. Corpses were everywhere fire wasn't, at least in the immediate area. This was ridiculous. He was travelling with a bunch of disorderly, self-interested, chaotic vagabonds (for the mostpart), the friend he'd managed to make didn't trust him, the group had been more expensive than they were worth, they'd lost the carriage to a forestfire, they'd been attacked, this lunatic quarrel had broken out and one of the other healers was double-checking his work as though he was unskilled. The only way this day could get worse would be if he found out that Sister Raechel was dead, the other Elyisimians found out who he was, he was taken back prematurely to his father, he was mugged, injurred, he'd gone thirsty, he'd gone hungry, he was robbed, hie friends (who didn't trust him) were killed, if the sane ones in this group were killed, if Beau himself was killed or if the Bellmire name was tarnished in some way. Though there was quite a bit more that could have gone wrong, today was sufficiently bad that Beau wandered off and sat down in a clean corner of the battlefield by himself to brood over the terrible day.

OOC: Assuming Reika...stopped talking eventually.

The group traveled the rest of the day, the injured being placed on horseback or pegasusback or whatever made sure they did not have to walk. They arrived at the border town by nightfall. From atop a horse, Charlotte looked at the guard expectantly.

"You people have business in Jerdon?" the guard asked lazily.

"We most certainly do. Do you not recognize your own princess?" Charlotte asked, a bit annoyed.

"Princess? She's dead lady, so I don't know what you're talking about," the guard said, glancing sideways at her.

"She is most certainly not dead, as I am she and I am standing right here," Charlotte retorted, giving the guard a glare.

"You have any proof to back up that claim?" he asked, looking her up and down.

"I, well uh...ugh nevermind. It doesn't matter whether you acknowledge me as princess or not right now, could you let us through please?"

"Eh, sure there's no rule about not letting crazies in that I know about," the guard said.

"Let's just all get some rest in the inn here, while I clear up the issue of my supposed death," Charlotte said to the group rather snappishly, leaving the gate in a huff.

The road

Unlike most days when a fight occurred, another ambush had not followed, though Kelas had spent the rest of the day's journey on guard anyway. It seemed the group would be staying in an inn again, which she was grateful for given the cold, though she wondered how long they'd be able to sustain it financially. It had been a long day... she didn't much feel like talking to anyone, and as the group approached the inn, she was quite ready to eat and rest.

------------------------------------------

Arrin had rode alongside Tessa for the rest of the way, feeling a bit guilty that he hadn't been much help to her during the fight. He wasn't even sure who the group that had attacked them had been... if it had been up to him, he would have fled, as killing whoever came after them was racking up a large death toll... but that had not been an option, and now he was just tired out. He looked forward to the inn, needing time to eat, rest, and maybe talk with Tessa if they were both up to it.

The Inn

The innkeeper rubbed his hands together as he saw the large, bedraggled party nearing the inn. They looked exhausted, the little rat of a man thought, so they could hardly turn down hospitality... and there were enough that they'd be able to pay for it in the morning. Leaving his wife to continue to wrangle the guests, he shuffled outside, bowing theatrically at the group's approach.

"Enter, m'sieurs, lay down your load," he proclaimed unctuously, ushering the group in. "Unlace your boots, rest from the road... this weighs a ton," he added, trying to lift someone's pack to help move people in, and giving up. "Travel's a curse..." He headed inside, still muttering, waving for the group to follow.

The crossing into Jerdon had gone much smoother than previous exchanges of country the group had previously encountered. Aside from Charlotte's upset reaction regarding her proposed death.

Damian had considered attempting to comfort her on the issue, but he felt an odd tension from the Princess previously. For whatever reason, she seemed to have grown slightly sour towards him, or so it had seemed before he had departed.

'Surely someone closer to her would be better suited to speak with her... if no one does, then I'll take up that mantle myself later on, I suppose.'

Scanning the group somewhat lazily, a piece of metalwork caught his eye.

'That looks like Father's smithwork.' Damian noted to himself, eyes scanning upward to reveal the blade was held by Kelas.

'Well, I did say to help themselves to the armory, I suppose.'

Striding towards the Nomadic woman without any real premeditated reason, Damian called out to her with a friendly wave.

"Hello, Kelas. Do you have a minute?"

Approaching the inn, Aiya noticed the innkeeper enthusiastically come towards the group and greet them.

'Seems a nice fellow... that or money hungry... who can say in this day and age?'

Hopping off of Ulfhrahn's saddle, the nausea about her body having faded sufficiently. Approaching the man, Aiya asked a necessary query for the occasion.

"Excuse me, sir. Would there be anything resembling an aerie around?"

"Yes?" Kelas replied guardedly, as Damian called for her. She'd been about to take Amari and Francis to the stables, so she just looked over her shoulder to avoid twisting the reins about. She swallowed a grimace, reminding herself that Damian was not actually out to do her harm. Probably.

----------------------------------------------------

The innkeeper quickly tried to think of where the young lady who was asking him might put that enormous brute she'd brought along, and how much he could charge for it. "We've one out back," he lied, referring to the outbuilding that might have been one, probably wasn't, and was now in a miserable state of disrepair. "Not in the best condition, but of course we won't charge too much for it," he added in a manner that he thought was smoothly.

Edited by Kiryn

Burgosas

When Henry and Kamilla had arrived, it seemed like a different place from the last time she saw it. The buildings had not been fully restored, nor had the populace returned in earnest. Those contracted to help rebuild, or hired to help route out the banditry had had the mose presence in the streets, them and the soldiers.

Kamilla: The last time I heard from Shamus was when that wyvern lord kidnapped me. I wanted to talk to him and see if he could help us, but he's probably not here anymore.

She sighed and hung her head low. She flinched when she saw something unexpected come around the street corner and appear before them. Not paying too much attention to them was a black pegasus. Trailing shortly behind her was a man gripping his stomach and barely holding together. He appeared to be trying to capture the pegasus, but had only succeeded in being gored once or twice.

Something seemed off with Kelas' reply. While there was no animosity in her words or tone, she seemed unnaturally cautious.

'That's... odd.'

"I just noticed the scabbard and sword on your saddle. It looks like my father's work... is it from the armory at the manor, or just a similar craftsman?" Damian asked, his tone slipping to a more submissive one. Whatever was causing Kelas' insecurity, Damian figured it best not to act aggressively and aggravate it.

Looking the 'aerie' over, Aiya grimaced slightly.

"It looks... to be in far less than the best condition... are you sure it will hold? Some of the wood looks as though it has rotted."

Luc Altair

After that despicable mattered had... settled was the only way to describe it, the group had reformed and returned to the road as they had done time and time again. Nothing else troubled them as they continued this time, perhaps other then the natural instability of each member and possibly Fargo's constant whimpering despite reprimands. As the sun sank, and day became dusk became night they arrived, finally within Jerdon.

But things were never easy. It wasn't unbelievable that common folk wouldn't recognize their monarch, especially after so many years and the many unconfirmed rumors of the truth of the attack. This would make things more difficult, if Charlotte had some marker of identity she would have shown it, if any nobles got uppity this would cause problems. To say nothing of how this might affect her personally. The rage at Reika and this, it was no wonder she was so cross in telling the group to head to the Inn while she sorted things out. It wasn't wise to go alone, towns such as this would no doubt have spies for Jace, but Derek would no doubt go with her.

The closest inn meanwhile, was more then welcoming to the traveled group, a man, possibly the innkeeper himself, was out and about and helping with barely even a nod offered to him. Either he was the kindest man in town, or in need of money. And the latter meant he could be a spy. Paul would need to carry his own weight for once. Luc wasn't about to trust his bags to this man--even if he was trustworthy Paul was still in one of them--and ordered Fargo to do the same.

CHASE! a-ah savior of the universe

Things went down as always and things went on. They came to a town, and to an inn with a helpful man. His headache was still there, having been pushed away in the excitement of battle, but by now, he just wanted to get back into a bed and forget all about the day. Using his Crimson was less painful then that head pain.

Drunk

Inside the nice inn near one of those outskirts--only nice because it was damn good for liquor, which made anything nice really--was an old-timey drunk spinning yet another tale about some ridiculous farce that couldn't possibly have happened but she insisted it had. She, yes a she, ladies can be horrid drunkards too, went into a detailed account of how a guy she once knew through rumors and superstition and stories once snuck into a fort and poisoned a water supply and allowed the army to take the fort with minimal casualties. Of course, detailed was an exaggeration but she said detailed and no one liked arguing with her because she was the meanest-goddamn drunk when someone pissed her off which happened anytime anyone contradicted her impossible tales or tried to find a flaw in them. So when some traveler who had arrived a good few hours earlier inquired about what army, she smashed a bottle over her own head and scared him off. She was mainly mean to herself you see, because the drink affected her something awful. Hitting herself constantly didn't seem to help either.

Unfortunately seeing as she had scared off the only person in town--well only person in town she knew that hadn't heard her stories, she had gone back to regaling the wall with fanciful tales of fighting crabs, flying labs, and frying zabs. No one was quite sure what she meant by any of it, but weren't in a hurry to ask either.

"It's from the armory, yeah," Kelas replied, suspicions going away a bit. The guardedness started to leave her voice, though the tiredness remained. "Why, did you want payment for it, or something?" She wasn't sure if she had enough money for the sword, after buying supplies for the party, but if it came down to it she could return it, now that she had another sword.

--------------------------

"Merely a trick of the light, m'dear," the innkeeper hastily assured Aiya. "It's in fine condition, just needs a bit of paint-- coin is dear at the moment, what with the wars and all, understand."