Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon: who are you?

Quintessence

I just grabbed this game tonight and have high expectations, and some thing I forgot was the 'quiz' they make at the beginning of the game to determine who you are. So after submitting some answer, the game tells me I'm indecisive but because I think before I act, that I'm positive, no wonder why I am so successful (thanks!), among other stuff! Only to say I'm just like...

SNIVY!! :3

And my partner is Squirtle!!

Cool!!

So, I wonder if some of you guys have given this game a chance and share what pokemon you are?

Edited by Quintessence

I got Pikachu and Fennekin on my personality quiz.

Although I went Pikachu and Female Squirtle (Shelly) as my partner.

So far, I am loving the game more then I expected. I have played one of the previous mystery dungeon games but I wasn't that invested in it. This one though is keeping me going. Early game is pretty challenging and it requires the player to think and plan more then the previous games. I have used more items then I have expected then in any RPGs I have played.

Whoa that's true. That buffalo at the forest almost rekt me with two hits and Snivy just deals like 8 or 9 dmg. Also, the belly factor has gotten quite interesting. I used all the apples I got aa well as some pecha berries cuz some Wurmple were poisoning the shit out of me. Overall pretty cool game! And the theme is a nice addition as well :awesome:

I finished the game the day after it came out hahaha (I literally just sat on my butt on Friday and Saturday to play it) and I really enjoyed it! It's definitely noticeably more difficult than the previous games and leveling is a lot slower, which adds to the challenge!

I won't spoil the ending but I do think that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky was stronger in terms of the narrative in my opinion.

Funny story though, on my first try of the quiz, I got Chespin while Riolu was my partner. But, I decided to do the quiz again out of curiosity and got Chespin AGAIN except Piplup was my partner.

...I ended up going with me as Fennekin and Mudkip as my partner (Mudkip is always always ALWAYS going to be my partner Pokemon. That's mainly the reason why I didn't get Gates of Infinity aha)

Got Turtwig with a Mudkip partner from the quiz, but I had already planned my team, so I was a Fennekin with a Pikachu partner.

I plan on replaying it soon, though, since I think I rushed through it (Less than 30 hours logged by the time I beat it!), and people have said the story is better on replays due to foreshadowing. (I did enjoy the story though! I agree that PMD2 had a better story, but I definitely enjoyed this one as well.) I think I'm going to roll with a Totodile and Chikorita duo this time.

I haven't played a PMD game since the original Red and Blue Rescue team, could I just jump into this with those games experience and start? Or have things changed significantly since then?

Like I'm not expecting super complex because Pokemon, but still.

Edited by Jedi

I haven't played a PMD game since the original Red and Blue Rescue team, could I just jump into this with those games experience and start? Or have things changed significantly since then?

Like I'm not expecting super complex because Pokemon, but still.

There's been a lot of mechanics changes since Red/Blue Rescue Team, but they're pretty much all for the better, and the game gives a pretty decent tutorial on them, from what I recall. So I don't think it should be hard to jump into it if you haven't played since the first ones! (Plus, overall, even with the changes, it's still not that different a game. But then, I've played all the games in between the first ones and this, so it might just not seem to different to me. But I still don't think it should be too big of an issue.)

There's been a lot of mechanics changes since Red/Blue Rescue Team, but they're pretty much all for the better, and the game gives a pretty decent tutorial on them, from what I recall. So I don't think it should be hard to jump into it if you haven't played since the first ones! (Plus, overall, even with the changes, it's still not that different a game. But then, I've played all the games in between the first ones and this, so it might just not seem to different to me. But I still don't think it should be too big of an issue.)

Alright thank you ^^.

Thinking about picking this up soon; haven't played any Mystery Dungeon games thus far but after seeing gameplay of this one I am intrigued.

I think this is a pretty good PMD game to get into the series! The only thing I would really be wary about is that this PMD is a bit more difficult than the others so it might be a bit challenging to anyone who hasn't played a PMD game before but challenging yourself is fun and you can definitely do it!

I think this is a pretty good PMD game to get into the series! The only thing I would really be wary about is that this PMD is a bit more difficult than the others so it might be a bit challenging to anyone who hasn't played a PMD game before but challenging yourself is fun and you can definitely do it!

I would say it's difficult early game but once you get passed that part, it's a breeze. So far, I'm in chapter 11 and it has not been any difficult passed chapter 7.

But it does depends on your starters though.

Thinking about picking this up soon; haven't played any Mystery Dungeon games thus far but after seeing gameplay of this one I am intrigued.

I personally haven't played one in years and it was not difficult to get into.

I got Mudkip and Fennekin,

but I changed to Froakie and Riolu.

That being said, I've noticed some here mentioning genders.

Are there genders in the game?

I don't remember seeing any. Is the cool or cute question?

I don't think genders were specified for the starters but all the other Pokemon in this PMD game, specifically the secondary character Pokemon, do mention their pronouns and such.

For example, Espurr is regarded as she/her, etc.

I don't think genders were specified for the starters but all the other Pokemon in this PMD game, specifically the secondary character Pokemon, do mention their pronouns and such.

For example, Espurr is regarded as she/her, etc.

The only big difference is for Pikachu's heartshape tail for female partner. Don't know if you can go female pikachu though.

The difficulty is pretty insane when compared to Red/Blue and Time/Darkness/Sky -- the game doesn't allow for much grinding because of enemy Pokemon giving very little experience and being prevented from going to dungeons due to plot reasons. There's also the fact that the enemy Pokemon can straight up OHKO/ORKO you in a single move later in the game so you can expect to use up a lot of Oran Berries and Reviver seeds and that super-effective attacks coming from your Pokemon don't necessarily lead to a OHKO even on non-boss Pokemon. Belly is also given more relevance as it is drained more quickly, the move Sweet Scent can actually lower the leader's current Belly if hit by it, and that non-Apple items are overall nerfed when it comes to providing Belly (ie. Elixirs give no Belly at all). I may be exaggerating, but the game feels like Fire Emblem Awakening on Hard/Lunatic mode.

The boss battles after the early game tend to rely heavily on a certain battle tactic that feels reminiscent to Fire Emblem's Triangle Attack mechanic.

However, the game is a bit forgiving should somebody faint in the dungeon and you don't have the Reviver seeds to use on them (should you choose not to).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got Froakie, but I'm Turtwig with a Fennekin partner. I kinda wish I had went with Froakie and had Pikachu or Torchic as a partner though, but it's too late to change my mind.

I was going to delete my file an hour in but then it showed your Pokemon's sad/shocked portrait and asked if you REALLY wanted to delete and thus I backed down ;_;

I think I got Tepig from the quiz, but I went with Cyndaquil with Chikorita as my partner because Johto bias ~o3o~

I've beat the game, and now I'm thinking of maybe using a Pikachu or Fennekin as my main and... something else as my partner, because a Fire/Grass combo does not work out the best in this game ;-;

Honestly, though I absolutely adore that they let you choose your stuff if the personality quiz did not exactly give you what you wanted, I do really miss having as many starters as I did in the Explorers games. I miss being a Skitty ;~;

I believe I got Mudkip and Chespin from the quiz, so I wasn't having that. xD I ended up playing as a Riolu with a Fennekin partner.

The game has been a great installment to the series imo, but as others have said, the storyline just can't live up to Time/Darkness/Sky. I wish the game was a bit more "open" (there's been several times in the game where I've wanted to pick something up at the Kangaskhan cafe but wasn't allowed to due to "not dawdling when so-and-so needs to be done") and the fact that your Pokemon gain so little experience and always seem underleveled is frustrating too.

My partner and I are only level 17 and we are at the Yveltal boss battle. I took 6 or 7 reviver seeds and about 8 oran berries into that fight and came out with 6 or 7 plain seeds and some defeated 'mons. And I can't grind to give them some levels. I guess it's back to Pelliper Island to grab some more Oran berries?

Yeah, they ramped up the difficulty by a helluva lot, especially compared to Explorers and Gates to Infinity. I felt like I was pretty badly underlevelled most of the time ;c

And for the spoilered bit, I'd recommend trying to stock up on as many Blast Seeds as you can, as well as Tiny/Reviver Seeds and Oran Berries. Blast Seeds do a flat 100 damage, so they're ideal for taking down bosses and the like.

Oh, and for you and anyone else still playing, there's a whole master list of usable codes to get you all sorts of TMs and other ridiculously useful items right here.

Edited by Kon

Oh nice link there!

Btw, when does the Yveltal battle happen? I'm level 18 or so and I just beat the Poliwrath river? I'm like by the first chapters and haven't progressed since then cause I got the N3DSXL and play Xenoblade

Oh nice link there!

Btw, when does the Yveltal battle happen? I'm level 18 or so and I just beat the Poliwrath river? I'm like by the first chapters and haven't progressed since then cause I got the N3DSXL and play Xenoblade

Oh wow, you're a lot higher leveled than I was at Poliwrath River :O Poliwrath River is like chapter 6 IIRC, and the Yveltal fight isn't until Chapter 21, so you've got a loooooooooooooooooong way to go~

The recommended level at that point is around level 34, though seeing as you're at level 18 already I doubt you'll have any problems. I was at level 25 when I went up against Yveltal, and I managed to win the battle... somehow >u>