Return of the Emblem Chapter Eight: Affairs of the World

Phoenix

Down went the Utka's captain, and down went a good portion of his crew shortly afterwards, in a brutal show of force by the Leverager's crewmen. The allied privateers took over the battle from there, as they stormed the ship, swinging steel swords, spears, and other sharp weapons. Blake would not have minded if the group was to help out with the cleanup, but it appears that was not meant to be. Everyone else in the group had dispersed, some to aid the after-battle recovery, others to simply relax and wait for the fighting to cease. Yet others, namely John and Gytha, were rescuing men and dragon eggs- at least, that's what someone who sounded awfully like Reign, Raquel's friend, was yelling- from the depths of the ocean. That was fine and noble, but as a result, the swordsman was left with little to do aside from review their victory as he returned to the Leverager. They had performed well offensively, seeing as all of the officers, Oleg included, had been eliminated shortly after they had revealed themselves. Defensively, they had only lost three fighters temporarily, but even though that number was halved from last battle it was still almost a fifth of the group. That was still unacceptable, seeing as the recruitment rate as of late had been significantly less than that. He'd have to revamp the teams again to remedy that defeat rate.

Blake scrounged up a piece of parchment and a quill before beginning to recopy the names of his comrades, and began to plot once more. It was back to the drawing board once more, it seemed.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought crossed Faatina's mind as she was talking to Aneda.

"Ah! My lance is still on the Ukta! I'll talk to you in a bit, Aneda!" Faatina said to the Pegasus rider, before moving across the boarding bridge to the Ukta's side.

Eventually she found her lance, and picked it up from the remains of the Sage who had struck her down. There was only one other wound on the man aside from the strike she had managed on him. It seems he had been brought down before causing much, if any more damage. Smiling at that small victory, Faatina turned back towards the Leverager, only to stumble on a Wooden Shield, dropped by a fallen Ukta sailor.

"Hmm? What's this?" Faatina muttered, picking up the shield. It was built rather sturdily, though she doubted that the wood would last long against Magi or heavy weaponry.

'Wait... that boy inside the Dauntless... didn't Raquel say he could improve weapons and armour, for a fee? Perhaps he could improve this shield...'

Faatina crossed back over to the Leverager, shield in hand, and made her way to the Dauntless. Stepping inside, she saw the boy was there, as she had expected.

'He doesn't get outside much, does he?'

"Umm... excuse me, Connor?" Faatina called out, hoping she recalled his name correctly.

"I was wondering if you could perhaps strengthen this shield? From what I've heard, it is a bit of a specialty of yours." Faatina finished, figuring he would correct the name if it was wrong.

Norbert was just exiting the Dauntless when Faatina appeared and began talking to Connor. He slipped out of the way as quickly as he could so she could make her own deals with the young alchemist. Man, that kid's got a business already. Impressive, actually. "Let's see about finding Ranyin again..." he muttered to himself as he began looking for the short mage. Riz continued to just follow her rider around. After he found him, he handed his tunic over for the mending, then decided to wait. Wasn't really much else to do.

Well, with the air exposure, the blood on his shoulder was drying even faster, so he began brushing that off. Hmm. No scar this time. he idly noted. I guess before it just took a while for them to get to me. He looked back to the long scars on his sides. One from Gytha's sword and one from the bandit's axe. They almost mirror each other. That's kind of weird. Hm. I wonder how many scars I'll accumulate on this..."journey" might be the correct term? Hmm...

Edited by Mercakete

"That's my name and my specialty. Wood to iron is pretty easy- one of the first transmutations I did. Twenty gold for the materials cost...I can probably get this done by sometime tomorrow," Connor said to the Rexian woman.

"Ah, good, I'm glad I didn't get you mixed up with someone else... wait, turning it to Iron?!" Faatina replied, only registering the full extent of his words at the end.

"I thought you just reinforced them, but you can change the material completely?! That's incredible!" Faatina continued, a gleam clear in her eye as she fished out 20 gold.

"How do you do it? Is it a type of magic?" Faatina asked, curious as to how a boy who looked half her age could possess such a talent.

"It's a mixture of elder magic and modern technology...well it might be more ancient technology actually, archaeological records indicate that the first transmutations may have been thousands of years ago. Rather than just reinforcing, the original particles are replaced entirely by an outside resource, but generally retain the form and function of the original weapon and armor pieces. The process isn't the same for every type of material though, which means I have to do a lot of experiments," Connor explained to Faatina.

"Wow... I didn't think something like that was even possible... that's amazing!" Faatina replied, impressed.

"And to think, you look like you're barely over half my age... to think you can do something like that..." Faatina added, drifting off in her own thoughts for a moment.

"Well my uncle is the greatest inventor in all of Sardius, so people usually aren't too surprised to hear what I can do. Weyland Enterprises doesn't do much business in Rex-Avaz though, so I'm not surprised you haven't heard of him," Connor said, taking the wooden shield and the money.

"That... that's amazing, it really is." Faatina replied, still slightly dumbfounded.

"But I should leave you to your work, I suppose. Thank you." Faatina replied with a bow, exiting the Dauntless.