Anybody who doesn't like it can three themselves.

Nayr Farros

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Ross' arms are somewhat different, his arms aren't glued to his body.

I don't think glued is the word you're looking for. Most people's arms are attached at the shoulder. So do you mean shrugging?

Edited by deranger

The color change on the belt on his arm(going from really dark to really bright) seems weird to me. I'm not seeing the arm problem though, to me it just looks like the belt is covering part of it.

While you may be able to make that pose with relative comfort, I doubt you'd walk around all day long in said pose.

Wasn't the point of poses to give the artwork a unique look? If you're looking for realism you'd have to make every single sprite stand straight like a normal person.(Which was one of the things I've been criticized for doing in the past. You follow advice and try something new and they still don't like it. Typical)

There's a different between a unique pose, like Marcia, Ross, Largo, Calil, etc, and an uncomfortable looking pose that the character has to sit in all the time. And, what, are we just supposed to praise you for being different?

Good job on trying something new. I'm glad you have. But it doesn't look very good, so I'm not going to praise you just for trying something new.

Nice cherry pickin', btw, ignoring everything else o 3 o

Edited by seph1212

Oh, and I agree with Celice that his head is a bit small, but other than that, and the floating headband, I really like the sprite.

Yeah, what Anou said.

I don't like the pose, because it looks terrible uncomfortable, and the neck is Largo sized, but this is still the best sprite you've... taken part in making.

Guys there's a way and there's a way... You're being more than just blunt, you're being bitchy... Blunt cnc that is to the point is helpful, being rude cows isn't.

That said how about I go onto some cnc, the neck is very wide, too wide even, something I didn't see when I was fixing the sprite up, I also agree that the headband could affect the hair around it better, so don't flatly refuse any cnc k Nayr? The head size seems fine to me, correcting the neck would more than likely have the head fix itself, it's a pretty good face for that pose if i do say so myself and I don't really think it needs tampering with.

Now, regarding the arm, when I was editing it and re-shading the cloak, I did the best I could in the hackbox restrictions to make his chest seem decently broad(cloak shading) and leave enough space for the arms. If his chest was any thinner the pose wouldnt work, if his arms were any more 'relaxed' he wouldn't fit in the hackbox.

I've tried a few things just now where I've messed around with it to make the chest smaller to allow more shoulder room so that I could cnc it for Nayr, but they all end atrociously so if anyone has better suggestions on how to alleviate this issue in the hackbox, letting him know would be a good idea cause I'm sorry Nayr but I can't see how to fix this.

I'll finish by saying that buckles are a bitch :(

That said how about I go onto some cnc, the neck is very wide, too wide even, something I didn't see when I was fixing the sprite up, I also agree that the headband could affect the hair around it better, so don't flatly refuse any cnc k Nayr?

I knew what to expect when I posted and I did it anyway for chance that I might find something useful. That shows progress for me. :p

Why don't you just... ignore the hackbox? Nayr doesn't hack, so... I don't see why the hackbox is an issue o 3 o

I often donate sprites to hackers though. So I like to have pretty much all my sprites be hacking friendly. And before you make a cheap shot, I'll preempt and remind you that I've got Nayr as a character in Tactics Universe. I may decide I want NuNayr to replace the former.

And before you make a cheap shot

:[

Well that's rather rude to assume.

I often donate sprites to hackers though. So I like to have pretty much all my sprites be hacking friendly. And before you make a cheap shot, I'll preempt and remind you that I've got Nayr as a character in Tactics Universe. I may decide I want NuNayr to replace the former.

So why not just make a proper version of it without the hackbox restrictions, so that is looks good, and keep the older, non-hackbox one, so that it can be used?

Ughhh I'm gonna sound like a total mum right now.

@Nayr: Retaliating isn't going to help, try not to take stuff personally, even if it was meant that way. Assumptions don't help either.

@Seph: Likewise.

So why not just make a proper version of it without the hackbox restrictions, so that is looks good, and keep the older, non-hackbox one, so that it can be used?

Useful suggestion is actually decent.

nunayrderp.png

Original > Derp

(Just a reference thing. Buckle is "broken" and arm is not shaded...but yeah. Not a fix. Just a reference kinda)

I honestly did not know what to do with that neck. I was so confused. Lost, even. So I just plastered it with pixels. 8B

I feel like the shoulder pad should be shaded a bit less cause it's actually kinda being hit by the light a lot in this full frontal angle unlike a 3/4 angle. The cloak is a little unnaturally shaded/folded on the "nearside" (nearside and farside are rather subjective, but I will refer to nearside as our right and far side as our left in relation to the face). The buckle also needs a little more full frontal, though I didn't touch the thing in my derp besides lowering the near shoulder. Umm...I derped the headband and the face a bit. I feel like you were clashing FE7 and 8 styles in the shading on the face...not TOO much, but it was still apparent. His chin was a little short, needed a bit far cheek, and that jaw was very round and needed to be fixed, and neck was like a tree trunk (unless that was all intentional). As for the shoulder raise and drop, I tried posing in front of the mirror like NuNayr is...and I found it a lot more comfortable to have the shoulder I was facing higher than the one away. Maybe it helps with the whole uncomfortable thing if only just a little? lolidk. Oh, and hair is a little flat. Just a LIIIIIIIIIITTLE. I think some more detail will help a bunch.

The positive? This is a very good change of style. I'm liking it more than your previous style. If you REALLY wanna be able to fit him in a hackbox a lot more comfortably, you are going to have to change the angle to match Ross's A LOT more. BUT, that would change the sprites look pretty much. IMO, the angle can work. Just gotta WORK at it. lol.

In regards to the warfare going on:

Both sides have valid arguments, but both sides are in the wrong. At least Seph was complimenting the style change. That's a plus, no? And for uniqueness? Yes. It is awesome...but realism is also important. Can't have a person with an upside down head like an owl. Unique? Yes. But it would just be so awkward...in regards to the human anatomy.

8B

Edited by uMAD

• 3 months later...

Lookin' pretty good.

Ivan's smiling mouth frame needs a bit of attention.

and Nayr's mouth frames overall need attention.

O.o That's a surprising compliment.

And I felt something was off with the frames, any suggestions or references you can offer?

O.o That's a surprising compliment.

No it's not

Assumptions don't help either.

I'm not always going to say something mean :B

And I felt something was off with the frames, any suggestions or references you can offer?

No idea for Nayr because I've not done a face at that angle, and Ivan just needs the last smiling frame to be pulled back to our right a bit. It extends too far across his face.

No idea for Nayr because I've not done a face at that angle, and Ivan just needs the last smiling frame to be pulled back to our right a bit. It extends too far across his face.

Seth would be my first guess to reference, but FE8's stuff is different than 7's.

Elbert's got that caterpillar on his lip even though his angle is close.

Rutgar was the inspiration for Nayr's head angle, but his mouth is straight despite the angle, Nayr's curves.

Eubans might work, I'll take a look.

And will do on Ivan.

Love Nayr! I think his design is awesome and love his face and the angle of his head. I have a few problems with him though:

1. The left side of his body looks off. Its angle looks awkward with the rest of him. Maybe moving it up and in some would make it look better.

2. Where the headband meets with the end of his hair. It looks too constricting on his head and I think some of the hair should fall over it in that area.

3. The right collar looks a wee too thick.

I fooled around with it in paint to show you what I mean. I am not saying you should use this because I am sure you could do better but it is just to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Nayr.png

Edited by eCut