So Why Is Micaiah So Hated?

Randoman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, that's it? I had her pwn shite in freaking NM. I imagine enemies are even more crap there. I don't see why you can't give her Resolve and actually have her double AND 1RKO. inb4"Others use it best". Yes, others do. But then again, you are playing Loleasy, they don't need it.

On Easy I'd assume everyone should already be doubling anyway, so giving Resolve to Micaiah would be a complete non-issue.

I thought Mary Sues were flawless and Micaiah seems to have a lot of flaws.

But humans aren't flawless either. It's kind of human nature to claim things that aren't true while trying to justify their hatred/dislike.

No mention of her very late 3rd tier Promotion?

Considering how you play on EM, you should have enough BEXP to get her to level 20 ANYWAY. Hell, you'd probably still have enough to get all the royals, Kurth and Ena to level 40.

One line that bothered me the most was "No one questions your gift, Micaiah..." I cant remember who said that off the top of my head but i think it was a guy on the opposing team for most of the game. (I think it was Skrimir actually...) WTeverlivingF??

That was Skrimir, and yes that was total BS. And you're right how no one calling her out was annoying, especially in Part 4. Yes they all had to play nice, but considering there's a chance some of those units KILLED the opposing teams units if that's how you played, they really should've been SOME mention of resentment. Especially Micaiah trying to kill Sanaki. That's kind of something you just don't brush off.

A female lord that wears full length pants. Cellica and Lyn are ashamed.

I guess it's because SHES SO FRIGGING SLOW.

Honestly, if you list all the special traits she has, like so:

• Has an unusual hair color that no one else has
  • Is very close to a character from Path of Radiance
  • Has a healing power that no one else has even seen before
  • Can read people's hearts
  • Is one of the Branded coming from a special and near extinct tribe
  • Is admired by both the king and the subjects of Daein to the point of being fanatical
  • Despite having never been a leader, is a brilliant strategist that also coincidentally has the power of foresight
  • Gets "special treatment" from the Black Knight
  • Is the special vessel of a goddess and can hear her voice
  • Is actually the lost heir of Begnion and older sister to Sanaki

If you read it just like that, she sounds like the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues. Yeah, all lords have Suish/Stuish traits, but I've never seen one to this extent.

Of course, that's just reading it like that. In-game, it's somewhat toned down with how desperate she gets in Part 3 and everything. Still, playing through the game the first time a few years ago, it was like seeing a Sothe fangirl's OC come to life.

(Full disclosure: I'm actually ambivalent on Micaiah. Her flaws make her interesting, but it's really hard to see past the shininess of her Mary-Sue Aura+10. I think she's okay as a unit, too.)

Edited by Sol Hiryu

Honestly, if you list all the special traits she has, like so:

Is very close to a character from Path of Radiance

Meg has an even closer relation to a PoR character, Brom. Your point?

Still, playing through the game the first time a few years ago, it was like seeing a Sothe fangirl's OC come to life.

You are over-doing it when it is the other way around.

Zihark has it. Always wondered why he never spoke up and told everyone it was nothing special.

The way I saw it, it was probably started by the occupation. Think about it - they might not know Micaiah's name, and even if they did she can go under an assumed name. Rather, when searching for her they'd be searching for a 'silver-haired maiden' - after all, she is the most distinctive of the Dawn Brigade. In the same way, the phrase would probably have been picked up by the Daeins.

Zihark's hair can still be considered silver though.

As for me, she never struck me as a Mary Sue, and never understood why she's accused as such. Part of me even thinks it's because people have been using the term "Mary Sue" as an excuse for disliking a certain character. (A custom that I wish would stop.) I've never even thought of her as the type to break willing suspension of disbelief in a certain way. Sure she has a bad personality, and her origins were bad to the point where the explanations came out of the writers' butts, but I think "escapist character gone wrong" be a more appropriate term to use when describing her.

Besides, there are cases where a Mary Sue/Gary Stu can also be a likable character, but it seems that Micaiah falls into neither category. (Mostly my opinion on Micaiah not falling into the former, but that doesn't mean it's not a shared opinion.)

Edited by LittleAl

I can't help but like Micaiah ^_^, I love her as a unit because she is one of the few lords to not use lances or swords ever and I feel bad for her character and some of the stupid decisions she makes. I know that trying to burn Sanaki was something bad she did but iirc she had no other choice, it was either that or the people of Daein would start to perish wasn't it?

Edited by Queen_Elincia

I can't help but like Micaiah ^_^, I love her as a unit because she is one of the few lords to not use lances or swords ever and I feel bad for her character and some of the stupid decisions she makes. I know that trying to burn Sanaki was something bad she did but iirc she had no other choice, it was either that or the people of Daein would start to perish wasn't it?

Actually, it wouldn't be too hard to just send Volke in the first place. I mean, there are Begnion spies, yeah. But hiring Volke to kill Lekain and break the Blood Pact is a discrete contract. And it's not like even 10 people a day would be dying because of the Pact. They did have another choice, they just weren't smart enough and the creators wanted to do this so the teams would go against each other and do the typical "Rivals collide" scenario.

All the hate for Micaiah on this forum seems to stem from peoples belief of her being a Mary Sue. While Micaiah does portray characteristics of a Mary Sue, she isn't as much of a Mary Sue as most people make her out to be.

As one poster previously pointed out, Micaiah has several flaws. Hell, IS purposely put her under several trials and tasks that did not have outcomes the player would normally look favorably upon. However, Micaiah acted upon what she felt was right.

Let's compare her to Ike though. Whenever Ike had to make a decision, he always chose the moral one. The right one. He's your typical outspoken hero with good intentions. He even gets blue hair, which is only atypical of lord characters and Ragnell. He's the one who HAS to finish off Ashera. Micaiah doesn't even get her own endgame weapon.

The Dawn Brigade, which is feautured on the cover of FE10, is supposed to be the main group. But their story is snatched away by the Greil Mercenaries. Even the Greil Mercenaries get better growths than their Dawn Brigade counterparts.

Honestly, if the Dawn Brigade was the main team in FE9, the Greil Merc's would probably be in the posistion of the Dawn Brigade now.

Enough about that though, I'm getting off topic.

Micaiah has many qualities that one can classify as a Mary Sue, but really, isn't that all part of her role? She was born to be the future empress of Begnion, therefore, she inherits many traits that come along with being the firstborn child. Yune came to her, and she recieved her mind-reading abilities from being Heron branded. She can talk to Yune because Yune is a goddess. And Yune possesses Micaiah because she is the future Begnion Empress. The Black Knight and Sephiran try their best to protect her because of her blood. Really, it's just something that comes along with the whole package.

While I'm at it, Fire Emblem of course has a diverse cast of characters, each with their unique hair color. Silver is honestly no different from blue. Besides, hair color is a distinguishing trait in the Fire Emblem universe, which is why some characters can be refered to by their hair color.

Finally, Micaiah doesn't exactly have amazing growths that are a trend for main characters. If she had higher speed, I'd be more inclined to agree she is Mary Sue, but she doesn't. Nonetheless, she isn't a horrible unit, but she can dish out large doses of damage and is very handy for her psuedo-healing capabilities in Tier 1 and her actual healing in T-2 and T-3.

Don't get me wrong, she does show these traits, just not to the point where everyone is screaming Mary Sue. The hard decisions she has to make actually sets her apart form previous lordlings and makes her quite an interesting character.

Edited by Heroic