The internet trolls need to be stopped

Aizenberg

:facepalm:

Y'know what happens when you send death threats to others online in the US and are caught? Charges. The title is badly worded, and the article itself teeters back and forth, but if I'm reading the specific examples in the article right, they pertain to stuff that's illegal here, too.

These trolls are taking it a bit too far. We need to face the fact that most trolls, while annoying, only slightly bruise our insanity. Clearly this type of trolling is unacceptable and should not be allowed under any circumstances.

Edited by Steel Waluweegee

fucking lol

I suppose our version of free speech is very different from the US.

Yeah, I've never heard the U.S. lock somebody up for posting jokes on their fb

edit forgot to put the link in:

If used for threats this could be good, but then they might have to include the Navy SEAL copypasta in that, and it would just get sketchier from there?

Edited by Mikethfc

Oh dear, the UK government's getting some really funny ideas. I might not be able to receive emails for the next 2 years, it'll depend on how the prison wi-fi is.

Yeah, I've never heard the U.S. lock somebody up for posting jokes on their fb

edit forgot to put the link in:

If used for threats this could be good, but then they might have to include the Navy SEAL copypasta in that, and it would just get sketchier from there?

Several people have been arrested over quoting lyrics on FB in the US. Don't know about doing time for it though.

One thought, after reading the links here:

"Jailing somebody who has no real motivation or means to commit a crime, even if they talk some nasty shit, (talking some nasty shit is in some occasions a crime already but you know what I mean right) doesn't exactly feel like it hits the sweet spot."

Another:

"But totally shrugging at death threats (especially when the fuckhead's dumb enough to use a twitter with their own name on it, for pity's sake) needs to go out of style both culturally and legally as fast as possible, and stay out forever."

Edited by Rehab