Skill build for Vaike!Gerome

Conall

Greetings everybody,

I have been "optimising" my units before I start another run. I want to pair Cherche with Vaike this time, in particular because all the better fathers for Gerome are already taken, plus the strenght bonus. However, I kinda got stuck with his skill build, since most people recommend him as a Baribarian support maxing his strenght as far as possible. Generally, I rarely build characters to be support only, so that kinda surprised me. Despite not having the possibility to get Galeforce and therefore being one of the less preferable lead units among the second generation, I'd still prefer keeping him in his original class, as long as it doesn't burden him. What I thought of in particular was taking advantage of the Counter-Renewal combo, Deliverer, and Dual Support+ and probably Axefaire/Aggressor/Resistance +10, which, in my opinion, would make him good to pair with a unit that would benefit from the strenght and defense pair-up bonus as well as the Dual Support+ and boosted movement (10) Gerome would get to carry it around)

To sum it up, I want to make Gerome capable without kicking him off his Wyvern and making him awkward. Is that a good idea, or is it downright stupid?

By the way, my other pairings are:

Chrom-Olivia

Maribelle-Henry

Sumia-Frederick (steals Gerome's best father, but the only real option given the other pairings, Imo)

Cordelia-Stahl

Sully-Libra (Yeah, I know, but Tomebreaker, Vengeance and Renewal won it for me, especially if I take Kjelle down the Sorc route)

Lissa-Lon'qu (Dread fighter Owain, I've done Vaike on my previous playthrough. Might be one of the worse choices, though I like the pairing)

Panne-Gregor

Nowi-Donnel (At least I don't feel like a pedo)

Miriel-Ricken (weird, a bit of a class overlap, but a neat magic cap)

Tharja-Gaius (Galeforce, nuff said)

Greetings everybody,

I have been "optimising" my units before I start another run. I want to pair Cherche with Vaike this time, in particular because all the better fathers for Gerome are already taken, plus the strenght bonus. However, I kinda got stuck with his skill build, since most people recommend him as a Baribarian support maxing his strenght as far as possible. Generally, I rarely build characters to be support only, so that kinda surprised me. Despite not having the possibility to get Galeforce and therefore being one of the less preferable lead units among the second generation, I'd still prefer keeping him in his original class, as long as it doesn't burden him. What I thought of in particular was taking advantage of the Counter-Renewal combo, Deliverer, and Dual Support+ and probably Axefaire/Aggressor/Resistance +10, which, in my opinion, would make him good to pair with a unit that would benefit from the strenght and defense pair-up bonus as well as the Dual Support+ and boosted movement (10) Gerome would get to carry it around)

To sum it up, I want to make Gerome capable without kicking him off his Wyvern and making him awkward. Is that a good idea, or is it downright stupid?

I'd personally drop Counter, especially if you're dead set on leaving him as a Wyvern Lord, since 9 times out of 10, the damage from Counter would not be enough to be worth it, for one, and second, it only works on adjacent opponents anyways.

Limit Breaker, Sol. Just having these two skills will make Gerome perfectly capable on most maps, as a lead or as a support.

For maps where extra actions matter (e.g. Future Past, Apotheosis), berserker is mainly a nice bonus, not a requirement.

Oh okay, thanks much for the input. Does that mean I should drop Renewal too?

No. You'd actually get some mileage out of Renewal.

I kinda expected Limit breaker, though I don't have the DLC. Not yet, at least. I'm kinda surprised by Sol though, thanks for the info. And if I keen the renewal, won't it be kinda useless with Renewal?

For future reference, making individual threads for this kind of thing is probably not necessary, as we have other threads where you can ask people about this sort of thing.

Having multiple healing skills can only help, I can't say I wouldn't recommend it if you have nothing else to fill them with.

Axefaire, Sol, Renewal, maybe Swordbreaker, and TBH I don't see anything wrong with Counter if you don't have DLC. If you do, SB and Counter can be swapped for DLC skills like Agg and Res+10. Unfortunately Vaike!Gerome doesn't get a ton of useful skills for being a lead, but apparently it doesn't make a difference.

Personally, I went with Gregor!Gerome for more utility as a lead as well as being a support, but Vaike!Gerome probably performs just fine. I don't want to mess with your pairings too much or anything unless you're looking to change others.

I know I should search first, but I couldn't find anything discussing "wyvern lord Vaike Gerome"... I'm pretty new here, so thanks for the info. I do the whole Alm's dlc line, so I have access to dread fighter. Yeah, I know, but Cherche kinda pulled the last viable option left. Feel free to suggest, I'd only be grateful.

EDIT: Also, is it still a good idea to use Deliverer and Dual support+?

Edited by Conall

I wasn't being so specific about it, I'm just saying there doesn't NEED to be a thread discussing any particular class or skillset for a particular character because we have general threads to do that in, like The Pairing Thread or the 'I just want to know one thing! - FE13' thread. It's okay that you're new, just keep that in mind for future reference. Besides, being new doesn't mean you can't lurk around a bit to learn these things for yourself (that's what I did when I was new).

Yeah, if you have access to DF then go with his skills for those last two slots.

Virion and Kellam are your unpaired dads, right? Hmm...

Well Sumia really wants Henry as a hubby if you can't get Chrom. Fred would be okay I guess but they have a lot of class overlap and he doesn't really give Cynthia anything useful. That'd free up Fred for Panne (who's really only the best dad for Yarne because it means you can save better dads for other people), and allow you to give Gregor to Maribelle or Cherche if you so desired.

Also Donnel!Nowi isn't that good; she gets Galeforce but no damage-boosting faires or procs, which makes it harder for her to land KOs and activate Galeforce. If you want a non-'pedo' Nah, there's always Ricken who gives her decent skills like Luna. (Gregor also makes a decent hubby for Miriel if you decide to take both the above suggestions.) Apparently Virion!Nah is also decent in terms of support if you don't want to spare any of the better parents for Nah. But yeah, Donnel should really be saved for one of the girls who doesn't get Gale, but has access to strong procs and/or faires.

Depending on your difficulty, what you have is probably fine, but that's just some stuff to think about. TBH Nowi x Donnel is really the biggest thing I'd change right now.

Edited by BANRYU

Oh well if you like it because of flavor or supports or whatever, that's fine. I'm purely talking about the optimization/effectiveness of it, but if you like it, you can make it work.

Well, I wanted to keep Nah as a manakete... By the way, what do you mean by hubby, and why, if I might ask? Also, is Freddy the best dad if I keep Yarne as a Taguel, and why? I am a bit confused about Gregor X Maribelle, mainly because I assume Brady would be magic based (sorc. or something). What makes faires so important, though?

Well, I wanted to keep Nah as a manakete... By the way, what do you mean by hubby, and why, if I might ask? Also, is Freddy the best dad if I keep Yarne as a Taguel, and why? I am a bit confused about Gregor X Maribelle, mainly because I assume Brady would be magic based (sorc. or something). What makes faires so important, though?

Hubby = Husband. As to -faire skills (e.g. Lancefaire), they boost Strength (or Magic) by 5 points if the appropriate weapon is equipped. Can't help on the others.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Assuming you're doubling and are applying --Faire;

You'll deal an extra 5 damage per swing, equaling +10 damage per round, per unit. If you have a Pairup unit attacking, that's an extra 20 damage, per unit.

If you have Braves on both units, you have the numbers looking at 8 strikes for Base+5 damage each. That's huge.

Gregor!Maribelle means that Brady will have access to skills like Vantage, Swordfaire, Armsthrift, Axebreaker, Axefaire, Counter etcetc. The biggest one is Vantage, because under circumstances on the hardest chapter in the game, Vantage plays an integral role in maximizing safety to speedy map clearing. It also gives him his second highest Skill boost (by 1, under LonQu), which allows for an increase in Dual Strikes, as well as +3 accuracy.

Ricken, Libra, Chrom, LonQu and Kellam all give better Magic mods as far as stats go, but Gregor gives a good set of skills, and good enough stats elsewhere to be useful as a Tome-wielding class.

Yeah Gregor isn't the BEST parent for Brady, but he's usable and gives good mods/skills, despite being physical. Lon'qu and Gregor both work this way, being decent alternative parents for magical kids. He's actually probably better used on someone who already gets Sorc by default, like Laurent or Cordelia, though.

Oh, now I get it... thanks... So i might switch those three, if that makes it better. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, so faire on one of the partners actually affects both?

Edited by Conall

no no, --Faire only affects the person who has it.

IE if LonQu and Cordelia are paired up, and they're both holding Swords, but only LonQu has Swordfaire, then only LonQu will deal a bonus +5 dmg per hit.