Another way to calculate experience

Paper Jam

I must admit that the calculations at http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/miscellaneous/calculations/are a bit difficult to read. I'm not sure my rewriting is less so, but I thought I'd share my notes.

Most variables and functions are defined as letters; conditional addends or divisors (e.g. +20 if promoted) are explained in [bold brackets] with an implicit [*1+0 if not].

I moved the "+20 for killing" from Defeating enemy (total) to Defeating enemy (base) to make things (I think) simpler.

E=Enemy level [+20 if promoted]

U=Your unit's level [+20 if promoted]

C=Class power (2 for Soldiers, Thieves, Assassins, Troubadours, Valkyries, Clerics, and female Bishops; 3 for all other possible playable or enemy classes#)

C(E)=Enemy's Class power

C(U)=Your unit's Class power

D=Doing damage: (31+E-U)/C(U), minimum 1

Not doing damage: 1

B=Defeating enemy (base): E*C(E)-U*C(U)[/2 if on Eliwood or Hector Normal mode and if U*C(U)≥E*C(E)]+20[+40 if enemy is boss][+20 if enemy is Thief or Assassin]

T=Defeating enemy (total): (D[+B if B≥0])[*~1.8 if Silencer activated], maximum 100

S=Staff experience

Using a staff: S[/2 if staff user is promoted, fractions rounded down]

Dancing (Ninian only) or Playing (Nils only): 10

#Disregarding the Civilian and Prince (which don't exist as playable or enemy units and are thus irrelevant), the Transporter (which does not gain experience from combat and is thus irrelevant), and the Fire Dragon (from which your units cannot gain combat experience and which is thus irrelevant)

Edited by Paper Jam

I'm not sure whether to leave this up for posterity's sake or not, but I did some experiments that prove that the calculations from the link that I cited are in fact more accurate than my own.

While playing EHM (and thus not applying the Mode Coefficient), on chapter 26x I used Serra (Level 8 Bishop) to defeat a level 13 enemy Brigand, which according to my calculations should have resulted in this:

(31+13-28)/2+[13*3-28*2+20, minimum 0]=8+3=11.

But instead I got 5 experience, which is what would happen in this case:

(31+13-28)/3+[13*3-(8*3+40)+20, minimum 0]=5+0=5.

In short, I was wrong about Thieves, Troubadours, and Clerics remaining at Class Power 2 after promotion to Assassins, Valkyries, or female Bishops.

Another thing: I had Jaffar (level 13) defeat a level 13 enemy Brigand and got 3 experience from it. But I also had Jaffar assassinate a level 13 enemy Cavalier, and he got 3 experience from that as well. I believe that the "Assassinate Coefficient" only applies to the function that I defined above as B (which was less than 0 in this case, and so rounded up to 0), not to D+B.

P.S. I also had Jaffar (again, level 13) assassinate a level 14 enemy Hero, and he got 96 experience from it. Let's see how this works...

D=(31+34-33)/3=10

B=(14*3+60)-(13*3+40)+20=(102)-(79)+20=43

10+43*2=96

Therefore, I believe that the Assassinate Coefficient is 2, and is only applied to what I defined as B (which, on the Calculations page that I linked, is [Experience from defeating (base) + 20 + Boss bonus + Thief bonus]).

Edited by Paper Jam

So, of course, my calculations need to be edited... and unfortunately, they can't get much simpler; they can only be corrected. So here goes:

E: Enemy's level regardless of class

U: Your unit's level regardless of class

C: Class power (2 for Soldiers, Thieves, Clerics, and Troubadours; 3 for all other possible playable or enemy classes, including promoted equivalents to all of the preceding)

C(E): Enemy's Class power

C(U): Your unit's class power

M: Mode coefficient: 2 if playing Eliwood or Hector Normal Mode and if {E*C(E)[+60 if promoted][-20 if Assassin or Valkyrie]}<{U*C(U)[+60 if promoted][-20 if Assassin, female Bishop, or Valkyrie]}, 1 otherwise

D: Experience from damage: {31+E[+20 if promoted]-(U[+20 if promoted])}/C(U), minimum 1

B: Experience from defeating (base): {E*C(E)[+60 if promoted][-20 if Valkyrie]}-{U*C(U)[+60 if promoted][-20 if Assassin, female Bishop, or Valkyrie]}/M+20[+40 if enemy is boss][+20 if enemy is Thief], minimum 0

T: Experience from defeating (total): D+B[*2 if Silencer activated], maximum 100

I really wanted to make this simpler, but I guess there is no simplifying these calculations without leading to errors or exceptions.

It looks like quite a few people are reading this... Does this make any sense at all?

Edited by Paper Jam