Let's Steal From Boron! Lunatic Mode Avatars Run!

Terrador

Recruitment!  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Of the units it's possible to miss, whom should I recruit?

• Feel free to not bother if even the seemingly easiest recruit is irritating you.
    • Only the maingame ones (Gaius, Libra, Tharja, etc.)
    • Everybody in the maingame, plus Donnel and Anna
    • EVERYONE, EVEN TIKI. Why would you ever ask me to do this?!

Heyo, guys! I'm gonna be working on a run with a bit of story~! on it, and leaving it here for y'all's viewing convenience! Here are the rules:

1. All units are free when they are forced (this means Chrom is always on the team).

2. Avatars are the only non-forced units allowed after the Outrealm Gate is found.

3. Other folks each added one Avatar, complete with build, class set of three, and starting level.

3a. I will be using undrafted units and Golden Gaffe to create a "slush fund" from which to hire these units.

3b. I will also use this slush fund to give each one a starting item befitting them! However, this means...

4. I will not use Renown awards, Bonus Box, Barracks, or SpotPass shops, except for the starting items. That said, Anna shops are fair game.

5. No grinding! Grinding is for squares!

This run will be done on Lunatic Classic, so it shouldn't be too unrighteously difficult. With that out of the way, here are the basic descriptions of the Avatars to come!

Join Name         Cosmetics   Class        Level Asset Flaw Class-Set
Pro  Armin (M)    2-3-4-17-1  Tactician    1     Mag   Lck  Tactician, Mage, Thief
P1   Ruby (F)     1-2-3-2-2   Troubador    1     Lck   Def  Troubador, Pegasus Knight, Cavalier
P1   Elly (F)     1-3-3-4-3   Myrmidon     7     Skl   Def  Myrmidon, Knight, Pegasus Knight
C6   Rey (M)      1-2-5-9-2   Tactician    15    Mag   Lck  Tactician, Myrmidon, Knight
C6   Belinda (F)  2-1-2-9-1   Dark Mage    7     Lck   Def  Dark Mage, Pegasus Knight, Troubador
C7   Nelon (M)    3-1-1-9-2   Cavalier     4     Def   Mag  Cavalier, Fighter, Priest
C7   Robin (M)    1-2-4-9-1   Mercenary    1     Mag   Skl  Mercenary, Cavalier, Tactician
C10  Ice (M)      1-4-2-17-2  Dark Mage    5     Mag   Lck  Dark Mage, Mage, Thief
C14  Boleslaw (M) 3-5-3-9-3   Paladin      1     Res   Lck  Cavalier, Fighter, Archer
C17  Violet (F)   2-5-1-9-3   Dark Flier   15    Spe   Lck  Pegasus Knight, Dark Mage, Troubador
C22  Hjordis (F)  3-2-4-9-3   Great Knight 1     Str   Res  Cavalier, Mercenary, Pegasus Knight
Edited by Tangerine

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prologue: Plegian Men, Ylissean Soil

Two voices--one high, the other strong, beckon me from the dream. A swordsman and a lady help me to my feet, a knight sitting atop his warhorse behind the pair. The swordsman asks if I'm okay, to which I respond reflexively,

"Yeah, Chrom; I'm alright."

Chrom? How did I know his name? The first two evidently share my surprise, but their companion is nonplussed.

"He must have heard Lissa speaking to you, milord; or, failing that, he knew of you before he arrived."

That didn't seem quite right, but I held my tongue. Mustn't I know him, if I know his name? Come to think, where am I? The air is temperate, and I'm surrounded by grass on every side... is this home? Where is home?

"Hello?", Chrom interrupts, concerned and curious. "Are you sure you can hear me? I asked you for your name."

"Armin."

"Armin...", Chrom's knight echoes. "Pray tell, what brings a Plegian to our lands, armed and unannounced?"

My eyes fall, to be met by six more on my coat. Armed? I draw from one of my pockets a leather-bound tome, inscribed with runes for "Thunder". Only then do I find the sword at my hip--rough in make, nothing like the superior weapons carried by these two. Before I can respond, the lady--shorter than I, so surely no adult--interjects:

"Chrom--that's not supposed to be on fire, right?!"

"Lissa, what are you--Gods!"

Her pointed finger leads me to the cause of the commotion: a village, perhaps a tenth of a league away, with plumes of smoke rising from above. Chrom begins running in its direction without hesitation; Lissa and his knight follow, as do I. I'm not sure why I'm here, but I know that the last place I want to be is alone in the wilderness.

Men with swords and axes are barging their way into homes, grabbing possessions and throwing torches. A clock tower, the highest point in this small town, has apparently been ablaze the longest, as chunks of wood fall down around it.

"Brigands--Plegians, no doubt", the knight curses, glaring in my direction.

"Peace, Frederick." Chrom turns to me, as well, looking up and down as if to appraise me. "Well--you clearly know how to fight, yes? If you pull your weight here, I'm sure that should satisfy Frederick's suspicions."

I pause for a moment, pensive, evaluating the enemy at hand.

"...I have a plan!"

---

This map is pretty straightforward if you're willing to let Frederick eat a kill or two. On the first turn, I send him to kill the left Myrmidon and weaken the two Barbarians, freeing Armin up to kill one. Chrom weakens the right Myrmidon in two Enemy Phases while Frederick positions himself to manipulate the AI into attacking one each on Armin and Chrom, taking Armin's Bronze Sword while he's at it... well, that's how it should go, but bad enemy positioning = murder for me unless I subsequently get lucky, which I did. Armin levels twice in total taking down that wave, and Lissa patches everyone up before I move to the next.

Armin takes Lissa into the river to ensure that he can 3HKO the enemy Elthunder mage, while Chrom carries Frederick into the water on the right. Armin has to take one more hit to bait them, but the end result is a very satisfying execution montage. Frederick weakens Garrick, as he doesn't die to a crit, then Armin (with Chrom attached) gets the kill.

---

I gasp in relief as the last of the brigands falls. At Chrom's all-clear, villagers run through the streets, frantically dumping buckets of water onto the flaming buildings. An elderly woman brings two buckets to us, which we quickly drink from and return to her. Chrom laughs as Lissa frantically tries to squeeze the water from her clothing, to little avail.

"That was brilliant, Armin! Once we held the water, they thought we were in our element, and that jumping in after us would be suicide... I thought I might see a naval battle someday, but never one like that!" We share a laugh for a moment, while Frederick shakes his head.

"Given orders by a strange man... told to sit back and tread water while Lissa is on the front lines... it's disgraceful!"

Chrom and Frederick continue along that line of thought, but I'm too busy with my own thoughts to grasp more than the broadest thrust of it. I just killed... ten men. Brigands, evidently, but did I really understand that? What do I understand? I can't remember--where is my home, how did I come to know a battlefield? The one thing I am sure of, is that these three... Chrom, Lissa, Frederick... they put their lives in my hands. They trusted me. I think... I can trust them.

---

Name  Class     Level HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES W-ranks Skills
Chrom Lord      1.20  20  07  01  08  08  05  07  01  E       DS+
Armin Tactician 6.89  24  07  10  07  09  03  09  07  E/D     Vet
Frederick [forced, alive, and at bases]
Lissa [forced, alive, and roughly at bases]

Chapter 1: Bolts from the Black

We march north, as Chrom fills me in on the particulars of this place. We are in the halidom of Ylisse, journeying towards the capitol of Ylisstol. Their ruler, Emmeryn, descendant of the divine dragon Naga, must be informed both of the bandit attacks and of my presence. It's a lot to wrap my head around, but at the same time, it feels... familiar.

The sun falls over the mountains before Chrom is finished telling me of this place, and only Lissa's insistence allows us to break camp for the night. I address Frederick, more than willing to rib the dour lieutenant.

"I don't know about you slackers, but I could eat a bear after a fight like that!" Little did I know, though, what he had in store for me as he rode off into the woods...

By the time Chrom and I finished making camp (and Lissa finished pretending to assist us), I found just how literal the knight's sense of humor was: he returned with a bear! A whole damn bear!

"Frederick, you're a madman! ...and a comic genius!"

Frederick's enormous offering barely elicits a chuckle from Chrom, though; he's seen it all before. Chrom and I devour chunk after chunk of our meal, while the other two eat hardly a bite. Before I know it, I'm asleep, even before the fire fades to embers.

An ear-splitting crash wakes me and Frederick, the sky filled with fire. The forest laps up the embers, offering them a rapidly-spreading new home. The two of us charge in towards the shrieking of that girl--Lissa--to find shadowy figures in the distance. Chrom can offer only the briefest explanation:

"Abominations from the sky... be on your guard, Armin."

---

Frederick opens by denting a couple of guys; Armin finishes off the Mercenary with Frederick behind him, sitting on a fort. On the second turn, Armin eats a veritable HORDE; he had to dodge at least one of a pile of 67s, and he did! I misjudged some ranges and had to do some frantic maneuvering to keep everyone alive, but I managed to kite out the last two foes and the boss without anyone getting killed. It ended in six turns, surprisingly enough! As it turned out, Armin!Thunder + Chrom Dual Strike + Lissa-partnered!Thunder = bosskill. And I found, of all items... a Kneader. Yeah. Pretty crappy, am I right?

At any rate, it appears that Armin has successfully supported all three of the other Prologue units. Not bad work. Those extra points will be greatly helpful.

---

As I scramble to observe the corpses of these abominations before they crumble to nothing, the rest of our party hails a masked swordswoman. Unable to find anything--even the weapons were all but disintegrated--I return to find her gone. Lissa, Chrom, and Frederick all have something different to say about her:

"She saved my life!"

"A swordsman after my own heart, and a friend to Ylisse."

"Of all the names to choose, why that of the hero-king of legend? Why Marth...?"

Perhaps megalomania, or maybe she really does have some grander purpose; after all, what are the chances that she would show up just as these calamities did? Not that we have any time to concern ourselves with such trifling matters... we must away, to Ylisstol. Their exalt, Emmeryn, may not have answers, but if Lissa's radiant praise is anything to go by, her guidance will be just as great a boon.

---

Name   Class     Level HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES W-ranks Skills
Chrom  Lord      1.25  20  07  01  08  08  05  07  01  E       DS+
Armin  Tactician 9.55  27  09  13  08  10  05  09  07  E/C     Vet
Frederick [forced, alive, at bases]
Lissa [forced, alive, roughly at bases]
Sully [forced, alive, at bases]
Virion [forced, alive, at bases]
Edited by Terrador

Is it bad I'm imagining Attack on Titan Armin saying this?

Not at all! Whatever makes the run jollier! That said, I don't really have a frame of reference, since I haven't seen the dub and I don't speak Japanese (and therefore don't have remotely vivid mental images of the Japanese VAs' voices), but go for it!

Also: Belinda has more MUSCLE than you do.

Chapter 2: Shepherds, Risen!

Another day's tired march brings us to the terraced roofs and high spires of Ylisstol, a capitol packed to the brim with people. The narrow alleys wrack my nerves--even though the commoners and occasional merchant or nobleman give us a wide berth, it still feels unnatural to be so grounded among so many people. The everyday bustle of the city speaks to its safety from the calamities of the night prior--at least, for the time being.

A wave of whispers roars through the streets, reaching our ears with astonishing speed:

"The exalt is here!"

"She has come to see us!"

Surrounded by a squadron of pegasus knights and framed by lovingly-braided golden locks, a woman with a mark on her brow strides through the streets. She smiles and waves to all, exchanging hellos and how-do-you-dos with even the lowliest peasant. Such a symbol of peace, with such obvious authority; she seems like nothing less than--

"Emmeryn~!!"

"Lissa!", I shout, trying to snare the fool before she goes charging into a wall of lances, but Frederick's steady arm stops me in my tracks. The two embrace, and the lights come on in my head. I turn to Frederick, my face draining of all color.

"Daughter?"

"Sister, to both."

"...I put the Exalt's sister on the front lines of two battles, didn't I."

"Don't forget the ruined dress, or the arrow to the chest!"

"...I'm going to assume Chrom can successfully vouch for me. Give me a mark if I need to run for my life, alright?"

With Chrom and Frederick's presence required at the war council, Lissa feels compelled to "show me something". I follow, to find a building packed with books, provisions, and weapons, a handful of warriors.

"The Shepherds' garrison!", Lissa introduces. "Go ahead, make yourself at home!"

Before I can voice my concerns, a woman in elegant clothing barges her way to Lissa, fawning over the poor girl and gasping in dismay at the sight of her attire.

"Why is there a hole in your dress?! Who is responsible for this?!"

Lissa pouts facetiously before smiling and presenting me.

"Armin! He helped us fend off some brigands and monsters, with a coupla hiccups. Chrom recruited him to be our tactician!"

This is news to me, I muse, warding off the (thankfully trivial) blows visited upon me by this stranger's staff. But Chrom clearly does good work, even if his men are a bit... eccentric.

Until I figure out who I am, you all can count on me!

We march north, for Regna Ferox. There, we hope to petition their reigning Khan for aid against the monsters--Risen, as Emmeryn's council dubbed them--and to combat whatever calamity Marth spoke of that night in the forest. We were a day and a half north of Ylisstol when we saw an armed horde before us; bandits were our hope, but Risen barred the path, and the scattered goods and foodstuffs told exactly why they choose to camp here.

"For the people of Ylisse, and for our own lives," Chrom rallied, "To arms!"

---

Crap, this is a hard one. Armin's just a hair too slow and frail for the strats I would hope for, which means I have to carefully apply my chumps to have any chance at all. Okay, here we go.

Turn 1: If the guy on the bottom-right has Patience, this first turn gets a LOT less reliable; thankfully, a reset here consumes little time.

Vaike attaches himself to Virion, who attacks the right Merc from the forest. Lissa hands Armin the Elixir, attaches herself to him, and he gets the KO from the south. Chrom hands Sully to Virion so he can live the Barbarian, standing to his left. Finally, Stahl!Frederick waits next to the Barbarian on the left.

Enemy Phase: Barbarian hits (or misses) Virion, doesn't kill. Barbarian might get chipped, might not; mine did. Stahl Dual Striking makes this MUCH less of a headache, as it puts the Barbarian into KO range from any melee unit and finishes off the Mercenary. Armin will get hit and dent the Soldier on the right big-time. Barbarian and Soldier up top start running down. This turn has the most variation; if the Merc attacks from up top, a Soldier from the left won't be dented. If Armin dodges or gets dual guarded, he has more options, letting Frederick do the facetanking all by himself and changing the rest of the map. This run went about as vanilla as possible.

Turn 2: Armin positions himself at the edge of Frederick's full-move, drinking a Vulnerary. Miriel heads beneath him, takes Lissa, and heals Armin up to full. Frederick moves left of Armin and chugs that Elixir, giving Armin Stahl in the meantime. Virion chips the Soldier from below, allowing Chrom to finish from up top.

Enemy Phase: Frederick tanks that Merc which was troubling him earlier, killing him. Chrom has to go toe-to-toe with a Barbarian, but dodges and dents him a bit. Armin fights one Soldier, getting hit and chipping some. Frederick has to take on a Barbarian as well, but nothing more. Enemies continue waltzing on in here.

Turn 3: Virion chips the rightmost Barbarian for Chrom to finish. Armin has to unequip for safety as Lissa heals him.

Enemy Phase: A Soldier allows Chrom to dent him; another attacks Armin, a Barbarian suicides on Frederick, and that's end phase.

Turn 4: Lissa moves up, gives Frederick the Iron Axe, and heals him. Vaike goes to Fred's right, taking the axe to cut down a Soldier. Armin takes Chrom and finishes a Barbarian while Sully takes down the last dented Soldier. Frederick plugs the breach.

Enemy Phase: The Soldier attacks Sully, and the two trade a hit.

Turn 5: Virion chips the last Soldier for Armin to finish.

MUCH LISSA STAFFBOTTING INTERMISSION!

Turn 14: Armin attacks the left Soldier from across the river with Miriel beside him; Chrom and Frederick stand by to assist. Everyone else is tucked away in the bottom-left corner, where they are relatively safe.

Enemy Phase: Predictably, the AI starts aggroing. No combat.

Turn 15: Frederick sits alone in one Mercenary's range while Miriel gives Armin over to Chrom.

Enemy Phase: Chrom Dual Guards and Dual Strikes for Frederick, which tidies things up some (even if it's a tad inefficient).

Turn 16: Armin hangs out with a sword in a Barbarian's range, with Chrom beside him for hopeful Dual Strike shenanigans. IDEALLY, the Forest will ensure a dodge.

Enemy Phase: The Barbarian whiffs his 31, but does not get Dual Struck.

Turn 17: Armin waits to kill one more Barbarian, while Miriel puts Chrom in front of her. Time for a smidgen of water kiting~!

Enemy Phase: That Barbarian hits Armin, but dies for it. A Soldier, too, makes a play for Armin's giblets, but to no avail!

Turn 18: Chrom heads up onto the river, with Armin close behind. Armin carries the Bronze Sword to eliminate the A-rank bonuses, allowing him to live without consuming the Elixir. Chumps start running right to get away.

Enemy Phase: Frederick Dual Strikes a Mercenary, which could well be the end of this run! Thankfully, a relatively likely dodge from Armin allows him to be okay, even as a second and third Dual Strike, for great hilarity, occur. The Chief, swings at Chrom, hitting him.

Turn 19: Chrom backs way up over the river; his job is done. Frederick swings at the boss with his Iron Sword; he's pretty much death-proof at this moment. My chumps continue running away, so as not to end the run with a stupid aggro.

Enemy Phase: Frederick dodges!

Turn 20: Frederick swings at the boss once more. Sadly, Armin Dual Strikes, feeding Frederick the kill. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the clear.

---

With Frederick by my side, I finally put an end to... what appears to be the leader of the Risen, at least, judging by his immense strength. Alone, though, he was no match for even the two of us. Perhaps leaving the weaker members of our group behind for the second wave was folly, but... they brushed close enough with death already. No need for them to risk dying against these powerful enemies.

Comrades... I barely know you, but I won't let these... things butcher you. Not while I'm still alive.

---

Name  Class     Level HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES W-ranks Skills
Chrom Lord      2.21  21  08  01  09  09  06  08  02  E       DS+
Armin Tactician 11.79 27  10  13  08  12  06  11  07  E/C     Vet, Sdty
Everybody else: alive, and now benched! I am going to have a fun, fun time without Frederick assisting in Chapter 3...
Edited by Terrador

This run is still alive, and I'm devoting all my FE:A time to it! The issue is that the next map is very, very difficult with this Armin without Frederick support. He's almost exactly average (down two overall, but his overages are half to one point in core stats), and +MAG -LCK needs some blessing to make a downright solo even remotely possible, to say nothing of the very limited healing resources (60 HP + X) available, which is tiny compared to the damage that has to get sponged this map.

I'm planning on caving on allowing the CHUMPS for Chapter 3, seeing as there really isn't a strat that doesn't lean heavily on the RNG with just Chrom, Sumia, Kellam, and a non-blessed +MAG -LCK Avatar. I'll wait a day or two to see if anyone is SUPREMELY DISAPPOINTED, but otherwise I'll go ahead with it.

...you people are making me recruit Donnel. I can give myself a fair allowance.

Chapter 3: Might Makes Right

The Risen terrors are finally fallen. I scamper from corpse to corpse, desperate to catch one before it dissolves, but each fades to dust before I can get a decent look--even the weapons have shattered beyond any recognition. I fail to grasp the other Shepherds' discussion, incensed as I am about the utter lack of evidence here. Sure, there are broken weapons and clothes and foodstuffs, but how in the Dragon's name will we prove the existence of these Risen to Regna Ferox...?

I had thought the Shepherds the only survivors of these highway murderers until we happened upon the strangest thing--a pegasus, in full barding! Chrom was rebuffed, but one of our own, the clumsy Sumia, seemed capable of calming the beast. She stayed behind to coerce it into joining her... I hadn't the heart to tell her that its presence could only mean that Emmeryn's pegasus knights tried and failed to confront the menace we pounded into dust.

---

The Longfort, Regna Ferox's fortification against southern outsiders, greeted Chrom's retinue with a wall of lances upon our arrival. Their commander, a stern and fair-haired woman, is resolutely certain that we are bandits, and calls for the attack! A hail of spears falls down upon Chrom, but before he can be struck, he's whisked away by Sumia atop her new friend. Our weaker members are too far back to be of any help--only our diplomatic retinue and Sumia are here to parley with these defenders "the Feroxi way". However, one of the Feroxi armor knights seems to be in Ylissean armor... wait... might I recognize him?

---

This map was beyond luck-based with Avatar, Chrom, Sumia, and Kellam alone. With Frederick and Lissa, however, it becomes MUCH easier. Javelin!Frederick tanks the left turn 1 with Kellam support, then Armin joins up with Kellam and Frederick to finish these off, with Armin taking all the kills. The team on the right is kited in by Armin and Frederick, with Fred denting and plugging the point and Armin getting kills, with Lissa providing heal support. Once she patches everyone up, we bust on through, Chrom!Armin gets a couple of kills, kites back for Fred to join him, and tanks the rest to death. Chrom teams up with Armin for the bosskill, and both get their last level of the map. Damn near trivial with the whole team here, I'd say.

---

Chrom sallies forth to investigate, and finds that armor knight to be none other than Kellam of the Shepherds! For some reason, I didn't realize he was about... but his defenses were an excellent asset. With Kellam at his side, Frederick became all but unassailable, even by the ferocious Feroxi; with support from Chrom and myself (with Lissa ensuring we live to fight another day), we burst through the west gate and fight our way to their leader with little struggle. Chrom leads the charge to take this portion of the fort, and the commander coughs out upon defeat,

"You really must be... Prince Chrom..."

Damned fools. Some of those guards won't survive... such is the price of Feroxi diplomacy. Frederick says we won't be punished; might makes right here, after all.

---

Name       Class        Level HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES Wranks Skills
Chrom      Lord         03.24 22  08  02  10  09  06  08  02  D      DS+
Armin      Tactician    16.01 31  14  15  12  16  09  13  09  E/B    Vet, Sdty
Frederick  Great Knight 02.73 29  13  02  13  10  07  15  03  D/A/D  Disc, ODF
Lissa      Cleric       05.97 21  04  05  07  06  10  04  07  D      Mir

Chrom has Armin/Fred C, Fred has Armin B/Lissa C, Armin has Lissa C. My shiny tile item for the last map was a KATARINA'S BOLT, of all things. In addition, I'm officially going to "everyone's free until post-C4", and changing Ruby's join item to a Spirit Dust specifically for her.

Chapter 4: Still More "Diplomacy"

None other than the East-Khan of Ferox greets us as we journey to the capitol of the east. She claims herself more than willing to support our cause, regardless of our lack of proof, but she is not in a position of power! Apparently, we've been drafted to represent this Flavia in a tournament of foreigners, conducted annually to determine who has sovereignty over the joint Feroxi kingdoms. I can't fathom such a concept, especially since these foreigners don't appear to be the dullest... culture can lead a people to believe some very backwards things, I suppose.

Four more days takes us to Arena Ferox, where we can make battle with the West-Khan's finest... who is none other than the Marth who came to our aid in the forest not long ago! We can only wonder why she lends her sword to the West; this can be no mere coincidence...

---

A Defense Tonic for Armin is definitely helpful, as it lets him reach 20 (!!) Def with a Frederick support. I also purchased a Vulnerary and, foolishly, another Thunder tome. Eh, I suppose it'll be useful eventually! Frederick, Lissa, Sumia, and Kellam join the deployed ranks this map.

Armin waits with a Bronze Sword, backed by Fred, in a Fighter's range Turn 1. Chrom x Sumia, Kellam x Lissa Pair Up. Armin ORKOs these Fighters, thankfully, with Bronze. He dodges, about as likely as not, but it doesn't really matter.

Armin takes Lissa and Thunders a Fighter, while in range of the Elthunder mages; with Lissa support, he can ORKO them with Thunder, while taking a mere 16 damage from both. He gets Dual Guarded once and either dodges or gets Guarded the second time, continuing to save resources that I... honestly didn't really need too badly to conserve.

With Lissa support, Armin can kill an Armor Knight in two Fire shots, which he does. He then Thunders another Armor Knight, leaving him in range of two 9/55% Short Axes. He takes one, but not the other.

With only Masked Marth left... Armin had just hit 17 SPE, so he can double. Sumia hands Chrome over, Kellam!Frederick charges in and chips HARD, then Armin doubles with Fire for the kill and the level. Now, to start making my Avatar Recruitment Slush Fund...!

---

The ashes clear from my fire magic, and Marth is gone. The stairs, perhaps? Not even she is fast enough to get clear to the other side of the arena in time. No time to search--Flavia leaps from the stands, lobbing bottles of wine at us.

"Tonight, we celebrate!"

I wish I could blame the liquor for what Chrom and I saw that night, though...

---

Ruby got a Spirit Dust to shore up her screwed MAG; Elly came with a relatively weak Roy's Blade to compensate for her enormous muscles. Chrom and Armin have a B support now.

Name   Class     Level  HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES Wranks Skills
Chrom  Lord      03.24  22  08  02  10  09  06  08  02  D      DS+
Armin  Tactician 18.09  33  14  16  14  17  10  14  09  E/B    Vet, Sdty
Ruby   Troubador 01.00  27  09  08  05  10  13  03  09  E      Vet, Sdty, Res+2
Elly   Myrmidon  07.00  30  17  09  23  20  13  07  05  C      Vet, Sdty, Avo+10

Paralogue 1: Mundane; Fantastic

I still had a faint headache when I awoke, for a moment incapable of recalling that we were staying... near Arena Ferox. I wander out of the home we've been housed in, noting Frederick and Lissa fast asleep on their cots. There's a well around here somewhere. Before I find that well, though...!!

A portal in the sky... perhaps a half-league east of here. I don't even think, I just run... but on my way, I notice a couple of strange things. Where did this sword come from? What about these robes? That must have been one hell of a party. Nothing compared to the sight ahead of me, though! A bandit, holding a wavy-haired waif who wore a pot as some sort of makeshift helmet, in a standoff with Prince Chrom and... a myrmidon and a troubador? An odd pair, to be sure, but... wait... holy...!!

"Chrom, stay back!"

He, and these two strangers, turn in confusion as I sprint to Chrom's side. The ruffian flees under the cover of darkness as I ready my most powerful incantation.

"Katarina's b--"

"Hold!"

Chrom, leaps in front of me, arms raised to protect... these strangers? Only now do I piece the matter together--these wanderers, too, must have some quarrel with the ruffian. I duck under Chrom and charge, but the myrmidon has... already turned? I stay my hand for a moment.

"You think that kid's the only one he's hurt? Let's get a move on; maybe we can catch him."

Her companion, the troubador, sighs and shakes her head in disapproval.

"Maybe help me make sure this one doesn't turn herself into a living quiver? The name's Ruby. My headstrong friend there is Elly."

If they wouldn't strike Chrom with his back turned to them... can these two really be enemies? They won't get away from this fight without answering a few questions, though. They're no Marth.

---

I wound up selling my Hammer to snag a Defense Tonic, Wyrmslayer, and Master Seal. Roy's Blade came out of my slush fund, being Elly's signature weapon, and a Spirit Dust was fed to Ruby from Renown as her joining tool. I promptly give that Roy's Blade over to Chrom, since Elly can take the Iron Sword, Killing Edge, and Wyrmslayer!

Chrom joins up with Armin, and Donnel pairs up with Elly. Armin FIRES the nearest Barbarian in the face, with some assist from Chrom. Elly waits on a Forest, in range of the Archer and two Bandits whom she barely fails to ORKO with Bronze. This is intentional. Ruby just stays out of the way for now.

EP1, the Thief swings vainly at Armin, getting dented, but not killed. The Archer hits Elly (as expected), and Elly dodges both Barbarians while bringing them down to 3 HP each. They are at 12% hit, after all...!

PP2, Elly takes down an Archer and plugs the point, Donnel still in tow. Chrom finishes the Thief with Bronze for MAXIMUM OVERHIT, then EP begins.

Elly faces 17% hit rates from these non-Gamble Barbarians, so she dents both of them (whom she for some reason lures into attacking at melee range...?) and finishes off the other two, leveling in the process. She takes another arrow to the face--terrain allowed her to survive that double whammy!

Ruby gets her first staff use off on Elly, who promptly circles around and lets Donny get THE KILL on a Barbarian, bringing him to 40 EXP. Chrom plugs the point, killing a Fighter with Ye Olde Unbreakable Falchione, and levels (getting everything but RES!!!) in the process. As expected, the Archer hits Elly for a sizable hunk of damage.

Sadly, I don't have time for training pleasantries until I kill those Thieves, so Armin chops the Archer in half. Elly moves in range of a Short Axe, getting healed by Ruby, and that's phase end. The Short Axe Barb doesn't even attack!

The team heads down and to the left in the hopes of baiting out that bottom group and intercepting the Thief on his way back. Elly takes Roy's Blade to bait the Chest Key!Thief, but he doesn't bite. Chrom hands Armin over for the Roy's Blade one-shot on that Chest Key!Thief, and I know full well that group is going to start aggroing.

Sure enough, in charges a Fighter with no hit rate, whom Elly one-rounds with frightening ease. Enemies continue approaching, and Elly/Armin double team an Archer. Elly REFUSES TO DISEMBARK THE STRENGTH TRAIN FOR ANY REASON, and that Archer kill blocks off the Thief running away with muh Killer Lance. A Barb suicides on Elly, complete with Donnel Dual Strike (45 EXP) and a crit from Elly. Humorously enough, the Thief stands still...!

Ruby takes Armin, and gives him the chance to Thunder that Thief to chip. Surprisingly enough, Armin has a 26% critical rate!! I guess Solidarity and +10 CRT from supports really does pump that value up. Armin misses, unfortunately...

Elly gets a chip, and Chrom helps wall off the bugger. Next turn, DONNEL gets the kill, going to 2.05!! AND GETTING A PERFECT FUCKIN' LEVEL.

Unpaired!Armin baits in a Barb for the "chip", which crits at 2%. The second one isn't critted, so Chrome can chomp it up~!

The shiny tile gave me a SUPERIOR JOLT of all things (DANG with the great thunder tomes this run!!). Elly baits in a Short Axe with awful hitrate on her; Armin brings teh CHIPS and Chrom gets the KILLS. Armin baits in another Archer... and then Chrom crits him in half. Solidarity, man. It's pretty buff. Chrom can bait in a Barbarian with Armin support, critting HIM, TOO. CHEESY PETE. Elly baits in the Guardian Archer, and Chrom gets a relationship boost~ from that there second shining tile. Chrom charges in for a swing, with no Dual Strike or crit, sadly. Archer pegs him, Ruby hands Elly over for the doublings, then Chrom finishes that Archer.

The ELLYBAIT STRAT takes me to the boss; Elly chips and Chrom gets the KILLBLOW. A critical, no less. Quite the productive and fun training map, demonstrating how Elly is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to this run, ever.

---

The boy, Donnel, impressed me today with his dauntless bravery... but what truly caught my eye was the bond between Chrom and this... Elly. Their swords danced like vipers, striking down any who came near. It's as if they were meant to be, but... who are they? Someone has to speak for Frederick, after all.

"Look, Elly, Ruby... I can't thank you enough for what you've done, but... who are you? Why are you wandering armed in the middle of the night?"

Elly is, as seems to be her wont, quick to respond: "I'm as buggered as you are. That gate just... called me. Ruby followed, I guess, that bandit fella showed up... and here we are!"

Her cheer in such a foreign land is unnerving, unnatural, but there is no denying her strength, or that she came to our aid without a second thought. By all rights, I should leave her here, but... what if Chrom, Frederick, and Lissa had done the same to me? We need her astronomical strength if we're to handle the upcoming battles with the Risen, and Plegia... odd, the name sounds fami--

"Sure thing, we'll join your Shepherds! Whaddya say, Ruby?"
"Better than picking up odd jobs and being the only one to stop someone from bleeding out."

I mentally rewind, and realize what Chrom asked. Brave fool, he is, but I've yet to see him err in judgment. What I wouldn't give for instincts like that, to parse friend from foe in a heartbeat.

---

Name  Class       Level  HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES Wranks Skills
Chrom Lord        06.98  25  09  04  12  11  08  09  03  D      DS+
Armin Grandmaster 01.70  37  17  19  16  19  10  16  11  D/B    Vet, Sdty
Elly  Myrmidon    09.46  32  19  10  23  21  15  07  05  B      Vet, Sdty, Avo+10
Ruby  Troubador   03.89  27  10  09  06  10  14  04  09  E      Vet, Sdty, Res+2

Paralogue 1: Mundane; Fantastic

Elly waits on a Forest, in range of the Archer and two Bandits whom she barely fails to ORKO with Bronze.

Elly dodges both Barbarians while bringing them down to 3 HP each.

Sadly, I don't have time for training pleasantries until I kill those Thieves, so Armin chops the Archer in half. Elly moves in range of a Short Axe, getting healed by Ruby, and that's phase end. The Short Axe Barb doesn't even attack!

Sure enough, in charges a Fighter with no hit rate, whom Elly one-rounds with frightening ease. Enemies continue approaching, and Elly/Armin double team an Archer. Elly REFUSES TO DISEMBARK THE STRENGTH TRAIN FOR ANY REASON, and that Archer kill blocks off the Thief running away with muh Killer Lance. A Barb suicides on Elly, complete with Donnel Dual Strike (45 EXP) and a crit from Elly.

The ELLYBAIT STRAT takes me to the boss; Elly chips and Chrom gets the KILLBLOW. A critical, no less. Quite the productive and fun training map, demonstrating how Elly is pretty much the best thing to ever happen to this run, ever.

Her cheer in such a foreign land is unnerving, unnatural, but there is no denying her strength.

This is almost arousing, Terra. I'm the best thing to ever happen to you, today, and that's good enough for me~

I mentally rewind, and realize what Chrom asked. Brave fool, he is, but I've yet to see him err in judgment. What I wouldn't give for instincts like that, to parse friend from foe in a heartbeat.

This line sent chills down my spine

Chapter 5: Fresh Blood

It's been three weeks since that night in the Feroxi wilds. We've since returned home, and been constantly occupied by Plegian bandits. Four attempted raids in the last two weeks alone have forced us to split our forces--a small team of Chrom, myself, and these two Outrealmers, for precision counterattacks, has split off from the bulk of the Shepherds, leaving Frederick to command the remaining team. While Emmeryn prepares for a diplomatic mission to Plegia, these weeks have given me time to take measure of our two newest recruits.

Shepherds' Roster

Elly
An Outrealmer who appeared one night in Ferox, alongside Ruby. She claims to come from a world much like this one,
where she and her partner sold their services to the western armies in exchange for no little coin.
Always quick with a joke or a jab to the arm. The fastest draw in the army.

Ruby
An Outrealmer who appeared one night in Ferox, alongside Elly. She claims to come from a world much like this one,
where she and her partner sold their services to the western armies in exchange for no little coin.
Level-headed and cautious, her patience is a valuable counterweight to our more hot-blooded members.
Never loses track of a single coin or salve.

These two have proven themselves valuable allies, and their strength and skills have already preserved me and Chrom more than once.

---

Fresh from an encounter with Plegian brigands, a messenger rides from the south.

"Oi, Armin! Captain! I've got news you're gonna want to hear!"

Chrom and I turn to greet Sully, who is clearly fighting exhaustion from the ride and the battle.

"Have we lost anybody?", Chrom asks, trying vainly to hide his concern.

"Mari's gone! Brigands took 'er back over the border--by the time we realized she was gone, they were darn near over the horizon! Stahl and the lieutenant are chasin' 'em, but..."

"You've done well to bring this report to me, Sully."

Even as I try to puzzle out a rescue plan, I see pegasi flying westward overhead. No... not now!

Before I can even process what's happening, Elly leaps atop Ruby's horse, immediately spurring the mount to action. After a moment's wait, Chrom looking to me for guidance, I give him the nod.

"I guess we'll plan on the way, then."

---

The four of us arrive just in time to see Phila, Emmeryn's captain of the guard, spear a Plegian barbarian; the cackling figure on the hilltop declares this an act of war, ordering his subordinates to strike! Chrom, Phila, and I quickly convince Emmeryn to flee now and leave this to the Shepherds; thankfully, the Exalt leaves with her guard in tow. However, that leaves only the four of us to rescue Maribelle and get out of here alive...

A wind mage on the hilltop? Five of us. Still--not odds I particularly like. There are just so many, and I've never battled wyvern knights before...

---

AIGHT HERE WE GO. I recently was informed of a glitch with staff rank; healing a Logbook character won't increase it, which means I'm going to want to put Chrom and Armin in the positions where Rescuing out is necessary over Elly or other Logbook avatars; same for healing, but that can be bent a tad.

Elly Rescues down the chumps, getting... HP only for her trouble. Armin kills a Barbarian up top, and Elly waits with Chrom to bait. She dodges an axe and one-rounds the responsible Barbarian without Chrom's active help; she dodges a 64% from the Myrmidon and kills him as well. Armin dents the Myrmidon and kills the Nosferatu mage, getting a bit torn up as he does so.

Armin goes back down and kills the Nosferatu mage with an Elly dual strike; he gets MAG/LCK/RES for it. Elly gets HP/SKL/SPE/LCK, actually DISEMBARKING THE MUSCLE TRAIN for a moment. Elly backs up a step to shelter Ruby, who charges in with Ricken to patch Armin up somewhat. Come EP, the Barbarian suicides on Armin, the weakened Myrmidon dents Elly (and dies for it), and enemies keep rushing in.

Elly goes off to bait a Barbarian and two Wyverns, equipping Iron for ORKO power. Maribelle pairs onto Armin, who chugs a Vulnerary. A Barbarian spawn dents Ruby rather awfully, but Elly kills all three enemies she was to bait in without being hurt. Chrom gets SKL SPE LCK DEF RES for his Dual Strike in the midst of this.

We're a bit cramped, so Elly has to kill a Barbarian (MAG SKL SPE) and Armin has to off another for Ruby to be safe. He dents a Myrmidon and kills a Mage.

Armin kills that Myrmidon, and Chrom takes the Wyrmslayer and waits on a Forest for one of the spawning Wyvern Riders. Armin should wind up baiting in the Barbarian and Myrmidon over yonder; Ruby eats a Vulnerary on a Fort to accelerate her healing. Armin kills that Barbarian, getting everything but STR and RES, then dents the Myrm; he's in very poor shape now. A Myrmidon spawn attacks Chrom, but is killed by a Dual Strike; Chrom then has to dodge a 45 for his survival, then overkill crits the Rider.

Chrom and Armin both eat Vulneraries and sit in the corner; Ruby heals Armin from that position, sheltered from incoming attacks. As predicted, the Wyvern suicides on Chrom, hitting him with a brutal 17/40.

Next turn, Ruby heals Chrom, putting her nearly at D Staves. Armin finishes off a Myrmidon and Elly takes down that Wyvern; she can one-shot with Wyrmslayer for a 0% death chance. The Myrmidon suicides on her and Chrom, and Chrom gets another Dual Strike level (STR SKL SPE LCK DEF) for his trouble.

A troublesome Wyvern is hanging at two-range, so Armin pegs him with Thunder for the kill. Ruby patches up Chrom, who waits on a fort for a Barbarian; Ruby gets HP MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF and D staves for healing him. Chrom pulls off a crit, killing that Barbarian unscathed.

I wait around a bit before the final wave; Ruby and Elly are patched up to full. Chrom has enough ATK to ORKO Wyverns with Elly support now, so he baits the first one in while waiting on a fort. He easily dodges the meager hit rate while the rest of the horde begins to aggro. Chrom sits happily on that fort and waits for his next victim, who also suicides into the Falchion.

Chrom runs up to Orton with the Wyrmslayer, snagging a one-round kill and being wounded for it. He levels--HP/STR/SPE/LCK/RES. Ruby Rescues Chrom out of harm's way.

The last two wyverns are quickly dispatched; Ruby Mends Chrom to full before he kills the first, then Armin stabs the next one in the face with Elly's assist. As for the last trio--Maribelle carries Elly into combat for the Dark Mage kill, then Armin takes Chrom to the front to feed a Plegian Roy's Blade. Chrom got hit, but I foresaw this eventuality!, and had Ruby Rescue him out for HP, SPE, LCK, and DEF. This gives Elly the final kill (with every stat but the defenses!), finishing the map.

And before you say I'm being capricious with my Rescue uses, do note that an Anna shop carrying one sprung up before the battle; I've simply been waiting for the boss's M-Bullion to take it. It also has a Dracoshield and a Wyrmslayer; I think I'll just take the Rescue out of all this. My legitimate money is a tad scarce at this point.

---

We must return to Ylisstol posthaste. This will only serve as an excuse for King Gangrel to go to war with us... we must be ready, with our own strength and that of our allies, for the battles to come. No sign of the Mad King... was his departure from the battlefield our saving grace, or an opportunity not soon to be regained?

Still, even this return to Ylisstol will be no easy task--not with bandits, Plegian and otherwise, on the loose. These are strange days, and we need every advantage we can get, even if some of those advantages come in highly unexpected forms...

---

As a note, Rey will come with the Renown Second Seal as his personal gift (to INSTATHWOMP him) and Belinda comes with Ruin for the MOEGEDDON.

Name    Class       Level  HP  STR MAG SKL SPE LCK DEF RES Wranks Skills
Chrom   Lord        09.96  26  11  04  14  14  11  11  05  C      DS+
Armin   Grandmaster 03.63  38  18  20  17  20  12  17  12  D/A    Vet, Sdty
Ruby    Troubador   06.19  30  10  10  07  12  16  06  09  D      Vet, Sdty, Res+2
Elly    Myrmidon    12.12  34  20  12  26  24  17  07  05  B      Vet, Sdty, Avo+10, Vntg
Rey     Knight      01.00  32  14  12  12  10  08  15  06  E      Vet, Sdty, Def+2
Belinda Dark Mage   07.00  35  14  14  12  12  16  07  10  C      Vet, Sdty, Hex
Edited by Terrador

Paralogue 2: Even When It's Not Plegia...

Sure enough, the road back to Ylisstol is not a safe one. Bandits hold the road, demanding a toll even in the heart of Ylisse. The southern group is taking a different route, and these frankly don't seem to be a terrible threat. Our team alone should be able to defeat them. The strange thing, though, is that they seem to be fighting with two Plegians, an armored knight and a dark mage.

"The girl stays with me. That isn't negotiable."

"Heh, heh, we'll see about that. Ye'll pay the toll, one way or another!"

Before we can close, the bandit finds himself annihilated by a powerful dark magic--gods! This is no Nosferatu, either--it's something else. The mage responds, for the benefit of the fallen bandit's comrades:

"She bites, too~!"

After a few whispered words with Chrom, we devise a quick way to determine if these are friend or foe. We stand alongside the pair--Chrom and Elly to their left, Ruby and I to their right. If they considered us foes, surely they would attempt to strike at one of us, but we suffer nothing but a quick scowl from the armor knight.

"I'm Belinda--and this is Rey! If you're who I think I you are, Your Princeliness, you don't want these rogues here either. Maybe we could team up?"

---

First turn, Armin takes Belinda and charges to the bridge, killing the farther Barbarian with Thunder. Chrom gets in position to lure a Barb with Elly, and Ruby grabs Rey and repositions. Anna dodges an arrow (YAS), and Armin kills: an Arcfire mage, a Barbarian for HP/SKL/SPE. Armin eats a 38 luring that Barb, but gets a Falchion crit to finish him and gets a near-perfect level! Anna finishes by eating the Silver!Barb.

Chrom backs up to continue luring, while Ruby Mends his wounds. Armin continues the charge, Thundercritting a Barbarian. Anna dodges another arrow (!!) while a Barbarian makes himself sword fodder. Chrom chokes on Arcwind as enemies continue to rush the village. Anna finishes up the turn by one-rounding another Barbarian with her Killer.

Chrom murders the Mage, letting Ruby Mend him to full. Anna eats an arrow for the first time, and Armin Thunderbombs an Archer on counter. Chrom takes an arrow, as does Ruby, but neither one is particularly fazed. Anna feeds another Barbarian his liver, thankfully. Ruby gladly Mends Chrom, who takes Roy's Blade to an Archer. Armin chops up the Archer that's been threatening Anna all game, with some help from good ol' Belinda. Ruby eats another arrow, but Rey support helps her survive it. Anna takes down one more Barbarian here.

Finally, Chrom is done with his wing of the map. His HP proc, alongside everything but Magic for the second time this map, lets Ruby build a tad more staff rank. Armin snags a Physic from the village while a Barbarian feeds himself to Anna. The lady steals yet more EXP by killing ANOTHER Barbarian.

Ruby Rescues Chrom up (entirely frivolous, yes) for a cruddy level as Armin and Belinda walk back to the army. Victor has 13% (BAHAHAHAHAHAHA) hit on Chrom, making him child's play. The Elthunder mage misses Anna, making himself easy prey for her Killing Edge. Chrom rushes Victor with the Killing Edge, getting an easy kill with a Dual Strike. Ruby grabs a 15 EXP shiny tile, and the village's saviors start walking back. Chrom Killing Edges a Barbarian for a level (HP STR LCK RES), then another with a crit. He dodges an arrow to boot, while Anna drinks a Concoction, funnily enough.

Chrom Falchions Elly, and Ruby Mends hi for a bit more EXP. It's clear she won't be casting Physic next map barring an outright miracle. With that in mind, I leave Belinda in range of the Steel Axe Barbarian remaining, whom she promptly crits with Thunder for the clear.

---

These two... they appear to be Plegian. Their clothes, particularly the girl's robes, are reminiscent of what I wore when I awoke in that field. In these times, that's more than enough reason to be suspicious--speaking for those absent, I convince Chrom that these two need to stay under our personal attention until we can return to Ylisstol: Emmeryn is perhaps the best judge of character any of us knows, and will certainly be able to sort this out. Upon interrogating the two, here is what I know of them.

Shepherds' Roster

Rey
A Plegian who once served as a tactician, as I did. He claims that seven months ago, almost everyone he knew disappeared.
Allegedly, they were replaced by strangers that knew nothing of him or the community he once was part of.
He journeyed to Ylisse with his wife, Belinda, in the hopes of finding the truth.
The least willing to suffer a fool or mistake.

Belinda
A Plegian dark mage. She claims that seven months ago, almost everyone she knew disappeared.
Allegedly, they were replaced by strangers that knew nothing of him or the community he once was part of.
She journeyed to Ylisse with her husband, Rey, in the hopes of finding the truth.
Casts the strangest "curses" I have ever seen.

---

Chrom   Lord        12.52  29  14  04  16  16  14  13  08  C      DS+, Charm
Armin   Grandmaster 04.71  39  18  20  18  21  12  17  12  D/A    Vet, Sdty
Ruby    Troubador   07.72  31  11  10  08  12  16  06  09  D      Vet, Sdty, Res+2
Elly    Myrmidon    12.49  34  20  12  26  24  17  07  05  B      Vet, Sdty, Avo+10, Vntg
Rey     Knight      01.00  32  15  12  12  10  08  15  06  E      Vet, Sdty, Def+2
Belinda Dark Mage   07.39  35  14  14  12  12  16  07  10  C      Vet, Sdty, Hex

...do I really, really want to know? Then again, given what I know you two aren't doing, it can't be too bad, eh? Anyway, on to the update!

---

Chapter 6: My Father's Crimes

The night before our return to Ylisstol, I decide to try speaking to Rey and Belinda once more--in particular, I wonder what they believe Plegia was like seven months ago. Were the rulers the same? What of trade, or foreign relations? It seems like a liars' story, to be sure, but who would even attempt to pass off something like that were it not true?

I reach for their tent flap when I hear Belinda's voice, clearly addressing Rey:
"I hope you're ready for this, hon~"
The tent flap falls, and I sprint away, flipping my hood up and hiding behind a tree. Gods, who would do such a thing in camp?! Calm down, Armin... there's nothing wrong with it, just... talk to them earlier in the evening.

---

"Rey, dear, did you see who that was?"
"Armin, judging by the sleeve."
"Think we should go see what he wanted?"
"I'm a bit busy taking your queen."
"Great Dragon above, I am never going easy on you again."
"Just be glad he didn't walk in when we were actually doing that!"

---

We have no time to rest upon arriving in Ylisstol. Not an hour after we arrive--assassins! From every corner of the royal castle. The Shepherds and Phila's guard are spread thin, leaving the barest handful under my direct command. Thankfully, all is not lost--among my men is none other than Marth, revealed to carry, somehow... Chrom's Falchion.

"What if I told you that I have seen the future?"

Quite the claim, indeed.

---

Chrom needs a Defense Tonic to live some junk this map. I also forge a Bronze Lance for max MT, to help Rey (and later, other lance-in-training units) out. Elly and Belinda get deployed left.

Ruby rescues Chrom into range to recruit Gaius. Chrom charges into the Nosferatu DM, getting hit but killing him for it. Armin pairs onto Rey, who kills a Fighter with DA CRUTCH. Elly grabs Belinda and waits in range of two Barbs and a Thief.

Come EP, Ruby eats a hit, as expected/intended, and an Elwind misses Chrom. Elly neatly kills everything on her side of the battlefield with only a relatively minor wound to show for it. Rey dents the Thief that was charging him, and Chrom dodges an ae and murders the axe-wielder.

Chrom heads up to Killing Edge the axeman who attacked Ruby, getting Dual Guarded by gaaaaaaaaaaaayus for extra comfort. Ruby gets Chrom back up to full, and Panne charges in to give that dented Thief what was coming to him. Rey takes a crutch to that Fighter behind the Thief, while Belinda waits for a Cavalier with her Ruin.

Chrom eats an Elwind for ~six damage~, and Panne gets dodges a coinflip 2HKO Nosferatu. Rey takes an Elthunder to his face, and Belinda trades just under half her HP for a Ruin critblick.

Next turn, Belinda Ruins the other Cavalier, leaving a Nosferatu DM in range to suicide. Ruby pairs onto Panne and mends Rey to very nearly full; she has just enough HP to survive a Nosferatu or Elthunder. Rey takes the Crutch to the Nosferatu mage in front of him; he gets hurt, but finishes the job with enough HP to last him the phase. Chrom has literally exactly enough HP to survive an Elwind and two Steel Lances on a pillar, so he Killing Edges the DM in front of him and waits for the cavs.

On EP, Rey gets tinked by a Thief, then gobbles him up; another is very badly dented. He chokes on an Elthunder, but remains standing. Belinda suffers a weak Nosferatu, then Ruins the DM that tried it. Chrom, for his part, can't quite 2HKO the Cavaliers, but between a crit and a Dual Strike, he takes them both down.

Rey opens the phase out by killing a Thief with Bronze, then being Mended by Ruby. Belinda Ruin blicks a Fighter (she doubled anyway, but needed the slightly higher MT), and Chrom runs away, leaving the fresh Gaius to front a Nosferatu. Rey eats one Elthunder, but alone, that's no problem.

Chrom backs up and gets healed by Ruby, who trades partners with him. Rey, for his part, turns the Elthunder DM into a memory, leaving nothing there. Belinda and Elly approach as Validar and two minions come near.

Next phase, Rey wrecks a Nosferatu DM, leaving Ruby to start healing up the team as Validar approaches. We back up a bit to give Belinda and Armin some space to battle Validar.

---

"My son... how long I have waited for this day. Return to me, and I will make you whole again. Your destiny awaits."

I could swear on my life I've never seen this man before, and yet... his foul, deep voice tempts me. Belinda turns to me, eyes wide--does she really believe I could do such a thing? It's not as if she would know any better... and how could she know, when even I have to hesitate before giving the order?

"No mercy, Belinda."

---

It takes three rounds to kill Validar--Belinda and Katarina's Bolt!Avatar both crit, WASTING Validar. Prior to that, I had grabbed some WEXP for Chrom and that Secret Book, then the map ends.

---

Rey grabs our injured Plegian mage as we cheer our victory--Emmeryn is alive, with no assassins in sight! Still unsure as to the nature of the Risen, we haul these corpses outside for Belinda and I to immolate beyond any recognition. The rest of the Shepherds have cleared out their respective wings of the castle by the time we arrived--Donnel and Virion look like the business end of a Ruin, but beyond that, everyone escaped without serious injury.

---

In addition to Rey and Belinda, it seems that the trials of war call two more to our side--a mercenary by the name of Robin, and a man named Nelon who claims he was a cavalier of a long-lost nation. I know Chrom feels it, too--we must journey west, kill this madman Gangrel, and find the truth of the madness that swarms us every day and night.

---

"Marth."
She turns at the sound of my voice. Not a soul is around but the two of us.
"You use the same tricks each time to escape, you know. It's hard to pull off twice."
"What... do you want, Armin?"
"Answers. You know too much--nobody alive, now, could know what you do. The assassins, the hole in the wall, the Risen in the forest... you claim to have seen the future, you hold the Falchion in your hands..."
She visibly begins to panic, if slightly, at my accusations.
"I know you're a friend of Ylisse. But I do have one question for you: I've seen the way Chrom and Sumia look at each other. Is that... how that is supposed to go?"
"I-I don't--I don't know what--how did--"
I cut her off, pressing what little psychological advantage I have.
"I didn't; I only suspected. Your answer has told me everything."
I swallow the lump of faint, bitter sadness in my throat before continuing.
"I won't claim to understand why you act the way you do. But if you can't trust me to advise and assist you, and Chrom is out of the question... surely there is somebody. Someone already lost, with a sharp mind and unquestionable integrity."
She flees after a moment's hesitation, slipping through the trees. Marth... I didn't even believe it possible. Maybe it isn't... but she believes it. If her memories are correct, then anything... anything... may happen in the days to come.

---

For what it's worth, Nelon's special gift is Ephraim's Lance, and Robin's is the Renown!Levin Sword. I have yet to get a single Second Seal, and yet I've gotten a pair of Master Seals. I wound up selling the Beaststone and the two crappy boosters for that Seal, which I'm delaying use of.

Chrom   Lord        13.63  30  15  04  17  16  15  13  09  B      DS+, Charm
Armin   Grandmaster 04.86  39  18  20  18  21  12  17  12  D/A    Vet, Sdty
Ruby    Troubador   09.80  32  12  11  10  14  17  06  09  D      Vet, Sdty, Res+2
Elly    Myrmidon    13.25  35  20  13  26  25  18  07  06  B      Vet, Sdty, Avo+10, Vntg
Rey     Knight      04.56  34  16  14  13  11  08  17  07  E      Vet, Sdty, Def+2
Belinda Dark Mage   09.73  37  15  15  14  12  17  07  12  B      Vet, Sdty, Hex
Nelon   Cavalier    04.00  32  13  05  13  12  10  18  04  C/C    Vet, Sdty, Disc
Robin   Mercenary   01.00  35  17  19  13  16  14  13  07  C      Vet, Sdty, AT
Edited by Terrador

I try! And I may have put in a whitetext double-subversion at Bindi's behest.

Also: if anyone has any suggestions, questions, comments, concerns, or just wants to call me a moron, feel free to make me feel like this is less of a circlejerk by dropping a post

"Rey, dear, did you see who that was?"

"Armin, judging by the sleeve."

"Think we should go see what he wanted?"

"I'm a bit busy taking your queen."

"Great Dragon above, I am never going easy on you again."

"Just be glad he didn't walk in when we were actually doing that!"

FREAKING HELL. NO. YOU. YOU DID NOT. JUST. SI6FFoV.gif

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by shadowofchaos

This post used to be relevant, but now it isn't because Rey fixed a thing!

Also, I checked a Risen skirmish just for fun. They're all at level 20 with Hit Rate+10. I think they might literally be maxed out at this point--maybe because I've been hiring Logbook units? At any rate, that mechanic kinda... broke.

They're not quite maxed out yet; I took a look at my Lunatic+ postgame file (why did I put myself through that craziness?), and they had caps across the board and Hit+10. I'm honestly a tad surprised that Risen skrimishes don't get Hit+20 eventually on the Lunatics, but hey--they're still rated over 200 when my best units are pushing 115. Not something I could even WANT to do anytime soon.

Edited by Terrador

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Ϲharlie, October 19, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Ϲharlie, October 19, 2014 - No reason given

I am a moron and struck a key when I was not supposed to! Update in the next post; sorry for the inconvenience.

This should hopefully be deleted soon; thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

Edited by Terrador