Coverage in Famitsu - Casual mode option returns.

deuxhero

Ya know what? If crit were existing only entirely on the crit skills you stack, I would be 100% fine with that. Not only would that make for fun character building, but it also gets rid of more luck in gameplay. For those of you wondering what I mean, play FE12 on lunatic and come back when you see your own characters' crits actually HARMING your strategy.

Only question is, does that just make Luck a useless stat now, since we won't be seeing crit nearly as often (if indeed this is what's happening with crit)?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pattern- 5. A consistent, characteristic form, style, or method

Sorry, not seeing the pattern. Playing the matching game between the first 5 games and the next 5 games doesn't constitute a pattern because it's in no way consistent. Here's what a pattern would look like. Keep in mind that this in no way is indicative of what content the games actually have, it's just an example

Look at it this way:

FE1/3 - Basic game, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE2 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

FE4/5 - More complicated, introduced new mechanics, skill system, had greater storyline emphasis

FE6/7 - returns to the basics but keeping a few new elements, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE8 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

FE9/10 -FE4/5 - More complicated, introduced new mechanics, skill system, had greater storyline emphasis

FE11/12 - returns to the basics but keeping a few new elements, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE13 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

In fact, after FE12 I predicted the next game would have a world map with monsters and branched promotions.

Ya know what? If crit were existing only entirely on the crit skills you stack, I would be 100% fine with that. Not only would that make for fun character building, but it also gets rid of more luck in gameplay. For those of you wondering what I mean, play FE12 on lunatic and come back when you see your own characters' crits actually HARMING your strategy.

Only question is, does that just make Luck a useless stat now, since we won't be seeing crit nearly as often (if indeed this is what's happening with crit)?

Well, FE4 and Berwick Saga were the two games to address crits that way, and neither one had Luck impact CEV at all. In FE4, Luck was pretty much worthless. In Berwick, Luck was basically removed as a conventional stat; I'm not even entirely sure what it does, but it generally seems to not be relevant. So if they do that, they'll likely change Luck's role as well, but I'm not sure how.

Come on man, a little courtesy please. Spoiler it, link it, or crop the image to the part you want to comment on. Some people have screens that are small and we don't want to scroll down so much just to see one little sentence for your post.

Err sorry, I don't know how to put Spoiler code in the forums.

The enemy's just a Ruffian. You can tell if a character is generic if their name contains hiragana or kanji (which requires you to know a little Japanese).

Which reminds me, that pre-battle screen looks kind of confusing, assuming it's the pre-battle screen. Where's the Critical rate numbers?

But, does Enemy Portraits are usually on Bosses in most of the series?

Edited by King Marth 64

But, does Enemy Portraits are usually on Bosses in most of the series?

[spoiler](image)[/spoiler]

Generic portraits for generic enemies are a logical step as the series advances, and it fits with how the eyes are shaded. Berwick Saga already did it six years ago, so no surprise that now is the time for FE13 to catch up.

More definitive is that actual names for both playable characters and bosses are always in katakana, whereas this contains kanji, as Vincent noted.

Edited by Othin

Generic portraits for generic enemies are a logical step as the series advances, and it fits with how the eyes are shaded. Berwick Saga already did it six years ago, so no surprise that now is the time for FE13 to catch up.

I liked the flags in FE9 and FE10. I think they look a lot cooler than portraits. If anything, it would be weird to be fighting enemies that have faces...

I liked the flags in FE9 and FE10. I think they look a lot cooler than portraits. If anything, it would be weird to be fighting enemies that have faces...

The flags were present in FE4 too, and each army had it's own color on the battle animations. But generic enemy portraits are pretty neat, I saw some FE hacks that did that and it doesn't look weird.

battleprepkinda.png

Assuming this is a mook instead of a boss or recruitable ally, I think it looks pretty cool. Seeing a flag in it's place would be... kind of awkward looking.

Weird to be reminded that the human enemies you fight are all people? Sounds weirder to distance yourself from that and turn them into faceless robots, as if your characters and the bosses are the only "real" people" in the battle. This seems like a way of taking the bloodshed of the battles a bit more seriously, and I like it.

*snip*

And I see the Blond Hair Man with the Sword in his portrait looks like an enemy unit (possibly more like Boss or Recruitable Enemy)

The blond man is a generic, his name is "Narazumono" which pretty much means "Bandit" in Japanese.

It shows HP going from 7 -> 0 on the generic. Perhaps it is what shows up when Animations are off? (Does not know Japanese, and claims no responsibility for this being disproven by said Japanese)

It's probably just a pre-battle screen so show you the outcome of the battle (assuming that you hit). The game is doing even more math for you.

I'll see if I can't have a go at translating some of this.

Edited by Agromono

While I am ticked that Jase is gone, from what we see, Mu has some speech bubbles, meaning he has a defined personality (unless there are personality types chosen at the NEW GAME screen like in 12 that effect stat growths) so I am happy that he won't just be yet another Heroic Mime for Self-Insertion purposes. Defined personality > fandom personae any day. And YAY! The fact that Mu can use weapons and magic means a split stat for Str and Mag:lol: . So I really have nothing to bitch about.

Weird to be reminded that the human enemies you fight are all people? Sounds weirder to distance yourself from that and turn them into faceless robots, as if your characters and the bosses are the only "real" people" in the battle. This seems like a way of taking the bloodshed of the battles a bit more seriously, and I like it.

Funny you mentioned that. Studies have actually shown that the more faceless the enemy is, the easier it is to hit them. Could call it the Stormtrooper effect, where in Star Wars the heroes hit every mark, but the Stormtroopers couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

This can only mean one thing. The enemies will have an actual Avoid rate now. Dammit.

And Liz is really confirmed to be Krom's sister? Is that correct?

Krom's sister and the princess of the Holy Kingdom of Iris. She is a member of Krom's vigilante force and a staff-wielding Cleric. She aids Krom in battle and has an important presence in the field. Although she appears to be naive of worldly goings-ons and sometimes acts like a spoilt princess, she is kind at heart. In the dialogue scenes, she exhibits a bright personality and, like Krom, a strong sense of justice.

Edited by King Marth 64

^What he said.

And Liz is really confirmed to be Krom's sister? Is that correct?

Krom's sister and the princess of the Holy Kingdom of Iris. She is a member of Krom's vigilante force and a staff-wielding Cleric. She aids Krom in battle and has an important presence in the field. Although she appears to be naive of worldly goings-ons and sometimes acts like a spoilt princess, she is kind at heart. In the dialogue scenes, she exhibits a bright personality and, like Krom, a strong sense of justice.

Kuromunoimouto.png

Says it right there in red.

「クロムの妹」 = "Krom's Sister"

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'd like to hear some more info on the radiant world map system. It'd be really cool if you had to repel monsters/people (finally enemies that aren't undead machines have been shown) from certain areas, maybe affecting things like prices or item availabilities. An active faction system would be an interesting touch.

Look at it this way:

FE1/3 - Basic game, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE2 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

FE4/5 - More complicated, introduced new mechanics, skill system, had greater storyline emphasis

FE6/7 - returns to the basics but keeping a few new elements, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE8 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

FE9/10 -FE4/5 - More complicated, introduced new mechanics, skill system, had greater storyline emphasis

FE11/12 - returns to the basics but keeping a few new elements, simple storyline in the first, developed more in the second

FE13 - World map, monsters, branched promotions

In fact, after FE12 I predicted the next game would have a world map with monsters and branched promotions.

My point isn't that they're not all the exact same, it's that it's not consistent. By your standards, FE14 should be the one with the world map with monsters and branched promotions.

I can't take it seriously when I'm fighting the same guy and his 50 clones over and over again. At least in other games with soldiers it made sense; they all wore similar armor. Here it's just stupid.

And if you throw another example in my face where FE did something similar like the Pegasus boss' from FE4, STOP. That was stupid too.

Weird to be reminded that the human enemies you fight are all people?

But they're not people, they're just bits of data in a computer. Duh!

Sounds weirder to distance yourself from that and turn them into faceless robots, as if your characters and the bosses are the only "real" people" in the battle.

I think that when all the enemies have the same face it's creepy.

This seems like a way of taking the bloodshed of the battles a bit more seriously, and I like it.

Fire Emblem: Serious Business

My point isn't that they're not all the exact same, it's that it's not consistent. By your standards, FE14 should be the one with the world map with monsters and branched promotions.

So basically, because FE2 and FE3 are out of order you're going to say there's no pattern whatsoever? That's dumb. I see it as going in five-game cycles... I couldn't say if that's something planned or just an accident of how IS work. Just because the pattern isn't super 100% consistent doesn't mean it's not there. After all, you might as well say that Armours don't have low speed growths, just because Armours had decent speed growths in FE10.

Edited by Anouleth

I wonder if the fact that they said MU uses Magic means that we're having magic squished into one weapon type again or if they're just not revealing what kind he uses

No I don't think so, it was mentioned that MU wielded an "Elthunder" tome in one of the videos. I think we are getting a magic system similar to FE4/5/10.

I can't take it seriously when I'm fighting the same guy and his 50 clones over and over again. At least in other games with soldiers it made sense; they all wore similar armor. Here it's just stupid. And if you throw another example in my face where FE did something similar like the Pegasus boss' from FE4, STOP. That was stupid too.

Well, his portrait seems to match his class, so we'll probably see different portraits for all the different classes we fight. Remember the trailers? We saw that shadow dude.

Also, speaking of the trailers, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw the old-style battle-predicting boxes in those, so we probably have an option to pick which one we like.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but people on GameFAQs have been bitching and bitching and bitching about this option. THIS OPTION. :facepalm:

Casual mode is good for Fire Emblem. Grinding is fine if there's a scoring system.

Btw it's mentioned in the Famitsu article that there's both support attack and support defense. Previously all we saw was a support attack in one of the trailers.