Coverage in Famitsu - Casual mode option returns.

deuxhero

How so? You said the community has no effect, and he said that the community can put people off.

I don't understand...

I said it has as much affect on player's perception of the games as Smogen. Snowy, for some infathomable reason, thinks that Smogen has an affect on the popularity of Pokemon. So in a way, we do agree on what I first said.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite the opposite, especially with the internet and forums becoming more accessible and useful. Quite often people will come online not understanding or knowing a system of the game or being incapable of beating a certain boss/solving a certain puzzle and normal guides don't help. This often times happens with people who are either new to the series or playing just for fun as well. It's not uncommon for forum posters to take a snooty approach to them, almost to insulting levels, when they simply don't understand a situation. This is a general problem that happens on all games (I remember getting chewed out pretty bad in Skyrim when I questioned the value of enchanting/blacksmithing as I didn't grasp just how overpowered they were together) and I can list about twenty games where I personally know people who refuse to play soly because of the online community (FE7-10, ME 1/2, WoW, Skyrim, FFVII/X-2, Pokemon games (counted as one), CoD games (counted as one), Soul Caliber V, L4D, FO:NV, DAO/2, and Jade Empire off the top of my head). The reasons for each vary from fanboys being too rabid in their like of one game (FE7/FFVII), to the dislike of another (FF X-2), to being outright condescending at times (WoW), too self-focused (CoD), and other such things. I know you're thinking 'Those are mainly online games though'. That's true. However, as I said, I know the people who played them and have asked them why they refuse, and they've said that they dislike the people who play it so much that they refuse to touch it.

I mean, imagine how you would feel if you bought this game for fun, started it up, was having fun with your team, then got stuck and went online to ask why you were having trouble and a noticeable portion of the responses were people telling you that your team is awful/you're a bad player? There's a very real chance you wouldn't want to touch the game ever again.

It's not uncommon for a newer player to ask for help, get the feedback and actually refuse it based on that they have to play differently or change something up. Which while having fun and playing your own way is perfectly fine, if it doesn't work at a certain point that person can't blame the community for telling them to play a certain or use a certain team if it works.

How do you help or give advice if a person is inflexible about what they'll do, but demands help insistant their square peg fits into the triangle hole?

It's not uncommon for a newer player to ask for help, get the feedback and actually refuse it based on that they have to play differently or change something up. Which while having fun and playing your own way is perfectly fine, if it doesn't work at a certain point that person can't blame the community for telling them to play a certain or use a certain team if it works.

How do you help or give advice if a person is inflexible about what they'll do, but demands help insistant their square peg fits into the triangle hole?

You let them make the decision. For example, let's say there is a map where there are two paths. One is faster, but exposed to enemy fire, while the other is slower and 'safer'. The person insists on doing the faster path though and keeps dying and asks for help. There's a HUGE difference between 'Well the faster path is there for people trying to rush through the game. It needs a lot of movement and defense, which your mage-heavy team lacks. I would suggest the slower path but if you MUST go the faster path I would recommend trying to use any siege tomes to kill the ballista' and 'You shouldn't take that path at all. Your team isn't built for it. Restart the game and take more paladins and drop that dumb archer and any mage not named X.'

Also, I didn't say anything about Smogen because I don't know what it is, nor do I really care to know.

You let them make the decision. For example, let's say there is a map where there are two paths. One is faster, but exposed to enemy fire, while the other is slower and 'safer'. The person insists on doing the faster path though and keeps dying and asks for help. There's a HUGE difference between 'Well the faster path is there for people trying to rush through the game. It needs a lot of movement and defense, which your mage-heavy team lacks. I would suggest the slower path but if you MUST go the faster path I would recommend trying to use any siege tomes to kill the ballista' and 'You shouldn't take that path at all. Your team isn't built for it. Restart the game and take more paladins and drop that dumb archer and any mage not named X.'

Also, I didn't say anything about Smogen because I don't know what it is, nor do I really care to know.

I think you're just butthurt.