I'm going to make a votal bot

Makaze

15 members have voted

1. 1. Interested?

• Yes, and I will use it
    • Yes, and I want my host(s) to use it
    • No

Official 1.0.0 (Votals only)

What features should I include? Yay or nay (with reasons).

So far:

• Automated timer and one-click manual votal generation.
  • Trigger on aliases.
  • Keep vote history.
  • Customizable automatic posting interval.
  • Automated posting trigger (##Votal).
  • Customizable votal format.
  • Link to posts where votes are made.
  • Detect hammer and L-1 and post immediately.
  • Custom time and post interval between votals; trigger whichever comes first.
  • Count down to end of day with a post at end of day.
  • Show vote history since last votal.
  • Support voting-related roles like Hated, Loved, Mayor.
  • Support importing and exporting game data to share between hosts.
  • Option to recount votes from phase start.
  • Option to show results in Quick Reply without posting (Debug Mode).
  • Support PM actions like Persuasion.
Prompt: How and when should vote history be displayed?

Usage for Players

Voting

##Vote: Player

Votes must be written on their own line.

Colon is optional.

Unvoting

##Unvote

No Lynch

##Vote: No Lynch

The name must be exact.

Colon is optional.

Requesting a Votal

##Votal

Must be enabled by the host.

Edited by Makaze

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would this be implemented? Would you ask an Admin for permission to create a smurf account run by your script?

Complete vote history imo should be done by having the votal bot claim the second post in the thread, and have two spoilers within that post:

- One with a list of all votes in chronological order (separated by phase), with the person casting the vote, the person voted for, and a link to the post in which it was cast. Possibly which vote on the wagon it was (first, second, etc.).

- The second with a complete vote history for each player.

It might also be useful to have, with each votals post, what all votes have changed since the last votals that were posted.

How would this be implemented? Would you ask an Admin for permission to create a smurf account run by your script?

Complete vote history imo should be done by having the votal bot claim the second post in the thread, and have two spoilers within that post:

- One with a list of all votes in chronological order (separated by phase), with the person casting the vote, the person voted for, and a link to the post in which it was cast. Possibly which vote on the wagon it was (first, second, etc.).

- The second with a complete vote history for each player.

It might also be useful to have, with each votals post, what all votes have changed since the last votals that were posted.

I could do that, or hosts could make themselves bots individually by installing the script.

Anyone else have input on eclipse's idea vs Euklyd's?

I don't see why both can't be done? Have a running tally in the second post but a list of changes with each votals.

I also think that if nobody requests votals; they should be provided every 40 posts or so by default.

I could do that, or hosts could make themselves bots individually by installing the script.

how would the script work when the host isn't online? are we assuming they'd leave it running on a desktop computer?

although that issue is for any implementation that isn't embedded within SF, I guess...and it sounds like Jyo doesn't trust fancy JS stuff?

how would the script work when the host isn't online? are we assuming they'd leave it running on a desktop computer?

although that issue is for any implementation that isn't embedded within SF, I guess...and it sounds like Jyo doesn't trust fancy JS stuff?

They would have to. That's the downside to client-side scripting.

The automatic posting will be optional for people who can't do that.

if votals aren't formatted like

BBM (2): BBM, BBM

Not Voting (3): BBM, BBM, BBM

im going to never use this and modkill everybody who triggers it in my games

because let's be real my votecounts are the best looking

that's just me being silly but please PLEASE at least make it so the player with the most votes is at the top, going down to the player with the least votes, and if players have the same amount of votes they're ordered alphabetically

makes votals so much more readable for me

but i only i make them like that ;_;

I don't see why both can't be done? Have a running tally in the second post but a list of changes with each votals.

I also think that if nobody requests votals; they should be provided every 40 posts or so by default.

Every 6 hours.

Makaze how would your system distinguish between Day and Night phases?

*Edit*

How will your thing handle persuasion, multivoting (Mayor), loved status and hated status?

Edited by Sara.

Every 6 hours.

I think votecount by number of posts is better, having the tool repeat the same votecount over and over when people aren't posting (see: my timezone) would be annoying, and having more frequent votecounts at deadline if people are posting a lot to decide on a lynch will help people out tremendously. I mean people constantly arrive with only 1-2 hours left and want to know what the recent votecount is to get a quick idea on the state of the game, and few mods do tons of votecounts at deadline.

I second the questions though. Hated/loved should be fine as long as tool isn't the one to announce lynches, phase ends or L-1/L-2 warnings but mayor and insomniac would be problems.

I think votecount by number of posts is better, having the tool repeat the same votecount over and over when people aren't posting (see: my timezone) would be annoying, and having more frequent votecounts at deadline if people are posting a lot to decide on a lynch will help people out tremendously. I mean people constantly arrive with only 1-2 hours left and want to know what the recent votecount is to get a quick idea on the state of the game, and few mods do tons of votecounts at deadline.

I second the questions though. Hated/loved should be fine as long as tool isn't the one to announce lynches, phase ends or L-1/L-2 warnings but mayor and insomniac would be problems.

What's that mean when there's 7 inactive people left alive in a 19 player game and 40 posts are literally what the entire phase likely consists of?

It's happened before, many times

Edited by Sara.

My main point is that the Votals post can be set to post "X Hours left in phase", which would be more valuable for players in phases with sluggish activity

I left that out but it's what i meant

Every 6 hours.

Makaze how would your system distinguish between Day and Night phases?

*Edit*

How will your thing handle persuasion, multivoting (Mayor), loved status and hated status?

I will offer both time and post-based thresholds; trigger on whichever comes first.

It will have the duration of each phase programmed in and tell people how long until end of phase with each votal. Post at end of phase too, then pause and wait for the host to update the player list, resume game and unpause the bot.

I can offer fields for special voting-related roles. I always planned to make the script include PM actions. I'll offer a field for the PM URL for those cases.

Added these to the OP.

Edited by Makaze

I won't use it if I have to stay logged in, for security reasons.

I'll make the timer optional. You can also manually trigger it.

If we made a dedicated account someone would have to keep it logged in. That would be optimal so everyone can use it, but I can't do it (unreliable internet).

Edited by Makaze

I'll make the timer optional. You can also manually trigger it.

If we made a dedicated account someone would have to keep it logged in. That would be optimal so everyone can use it, but I can't do it (unreliable internet).

Manually triggering it would be the best IMO.

For the dedicated account, let's see how interest pans out. If there's enough of it, run it by the admins.

Just a question, what about extending the script to automate certain actions as well (such as cop scans, day vigs, announcements or even couriers that are supposed to happen automatically)?

I think the problem some players have been facing is trying to send out actions while the host isn't around to send them out.

Edited by MancerNecro

Just a question, what about extending the script to automate certain actions as well (such as cop scans, day vigs, announcements or even couriers that are supposed to happen automatically)?

I think the problem some players have been facing is trying to send out actions while the host isn't around to send them out.

It shall be done! But only after the votals version is working.

this is an implicit thing that happens just due to the nature of day actions. this is also why LOC is bad