Platinum In-Game Tier List

Smiley Jim

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really say that having Sleep Powder is that amazingly better than having Thunder Wave (which is permanent).

True. Sinnoh Dex wise, however, only the Pikachu, Magnemite, and Nosepass lines, as well as Jolteon and Rotom, get Thunder Wave naturally (the TM can't be gotten in the maingame).

Edited by Golden Cucco

Only a few weird Pokemon really like having status effects to capture them, like Throh and Sawk. I don't think any Sinnoh Pokemon really require a lot aside from the legendaries (which is bloody obvious).

Steelix has a pretty low catch rate of 25 (lower than the space-time beasts!) and is immune to Thunder Wave!!! ... ... ... Yeah, I ain't got nothing.

Now starting the process of leveling Cranidos. At base, level 20 is not a bad start. Attack in the high 50s at neutral is also really good. Speed in the 20s is not good. Attacks that rely on around 80 acc is not good (Takedown, Rock Tomb). I looked up it's movepool, has no STAB outside of TMs and the supremely late Head Smash. 1800 exp to gain a level at level 20 is pretty horrendous. It's a Rock type that isn't all that durable, and that's no good.

I already am seeing major flaws in this mon, and I'm seriously considering dropping him already. Anyone got any ideas for a mon to replace this piece of crap that joins around now?

Edited by grandjackal

Now starting the process of leveling Cranidos. At base, level 20 is not a bad start. Attack in the high 50s at neutral is also really good. Speed in the 20s is not good. Attacks that rely on around 80 acc is not good (Takedown, Rock Tomb). I looked up it's movepool, has no STAB outside of TMs and the supremely late Rock Smash. 1800 exp to gain a level at level 20 is pretty horrendous. It's a Rock type that isn't all that durable, and that's no good.

I already am seeing major flaws in this mon, and I'm seriously considering dropping him already. Anyone got any ideas for a mon to replace this piece of crap that joins around now?

I was thinking Cranidos needed to drop, tbh. Its starting movepool fails to impress me, and no STAB outside of Ancientpower (which runs off a not so great special attack stat) and Head Smash (which comes late, is rather inaccurate AND has wtfmassive recoil - 1/2 the damage dealt!) without TMs does not a B Tier make, IMO. I know it has massive attack, but that's about all it has going for it. Also, Rock seems to be a crappy type to be in Sinnoh...

Edited by Golden Cucco

With all the Starly family types, Zubat types, lategame ice types, and Aaron/Flint's mons, being Rock type is kinda awesome. Only problem is there's no GOOD Rock types, and Cranidos is no exception.

However, no other mons strike my fancy. Guess I'm sticking with Cranidos. Oh well, at least it's ANOTHER thing that can learn Earthquake, though I doub it'll put it to anywhere near as good of use as others.

With all the Starly family types, Zubat types, lategame ice types, and Aaron/Flint's mons, being Rock type is kinda awesome. Only problem is there's no GOOD Rock types, and Cranidos is no exception.

However, no other mons strike my fancy. Guess I'm sticking with Cranidos. Oh well, at least it's ANOTHER thing that can learn Earthquake, though I doub it'll put it to anywhere near as good of use as others.

I guess that's true. However, the gyms are pretty unkind to rock types, considering the only one they're good against is Ice, as opposed to four bad matchups Gym wise (Grass, then Fighting, Water and Steel all being one after another).

Edited by Golden Cucco

No Geodude for me. My router won't allow WEP, so no trading.

Hmmmmm....

Ya know, I may have been a bit quick with it's speed. It's not great, but it's usable. Won't be outrunning stuff you'd find in Fantina's gym, but his speed could be worse. Like it can outrun Zubats, and common BS. It's not like Bastiodon slow.

Only issue is that without Earthquake, it's kinda crappy.

EDIT: Some updates.

-Cranidos as long as he doesn't have a -Speed nature has actually usable speed. Not fantastic, but usable. He's still not the best Earthquake user, but he hits hard enough that he doesn't mind. Problem really is that he doesn't have that great of coverage. Can evolve soonest at around the start of Route 215, which is before Veilstone.

-Eevee is not too fantastic before evolution unless it has Adaptability, which case it's usable. No matter what, I would say hold off till level 29 for Bite before you evolve it into any form for the coverage, and if using a stone evolution, evolve it that very moment for the attack the evolution learns. In the case of Jolteon, it learns Double Kick which is a pretty sweet move. It doesn't have great Atk, but it comes close enough to Shockwave, has fantastic speed and pretty good special attack. Definitely digging Jolteon. Volt Absorb is also gonna be sweet later.

Veilstone sells Thunder. Not acuate, but can you ignore 120 STAB? Sell Fire Blast too for Flaereon. Sorry Vaporeon, no water move for you till Surf. They even got Blizzard for Glaceon and Solarbeam for Leafeon. Not that it'd put it to good use.

-Marill is lucky it comes at a level where it just evolves, has fast leveling speed and is on a route with rain. Otherwise, I would not give this thing a second thought. Level 20 with 18 Atk and 16 Sp Atk is absolutely atrocious. It has Huge Power, but no real attack to use it with outside of Rollout. Does not learn notable TMs upon jointime. I want Waterfall so bad right now...

Ya know what? No. The rain doesn't even help. It 4 shots a Croagunk (which may have Dry Skin, mind you) with Bubblebeam, then it evolves and gains like 10 Sp Atk. Woop-dee-do. It's not even that fast (28 speed. It needs to gain 12 speed in 9 levels to match my -Speed nature Cranidos). At best, it's kinda durable. It better be awesome after move tutor, because I fucking hate this thing already.

Moar Updating

-Carnidos evolves and gains 0 speed, which is a humongous problem. Things are starting to outspeed him now, and in the future will do so pretty regularly.

-I think Jolteon is just pretty damn sweet with Shockwave and Thunder along with Double Kick and Bite. Though it has two STABS, it already has plenty of coverage. Thunder is just a choice nuke for things like Crasher's Floatzel. It's Sp Atk isn't that different from Rotom (might even be a slight bit better), it's LIGHTNING fast and has pretty good Sp Def. No STAB Shadow Ball stings though.

-Azumarill is still not that good. Slower than my -Speed Rampardos, it's offense is still balls, and all it has is Huge Power Rollout.

Gonna be trying Snorunt's ghost evolution as well as Azelf this run.

Edited by grandjackal

Ok, I saw a lack of Skorupi on this tier list, because honestly, I forgot it existed.

Anyway, I put the bastard in D tier, above Tangela, for now. Currently, it is there because of its late acquisition(it can be caught at like Lv23 before the fifth gym in the Safari game... as a daily binocular Pokemon no less.), poor offensive typing before evolution, and a late evolution level of 40. Also, Skorupi has a crap-tastic level up movepool(it's best move is learned at Lv49, assuming Drapion)and what TMs it does learn are heavily contested(Gible and Gligar have dibs on Earthquake, while Croagunk and Meditite also want Brick Break.) However, he does have very nice bulk as Drapion, as well as good offenses. Honestly, he could be a bit lower, but I'll see what the big boys like Grandjackal think.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James

I've used Skorupi only once, and it blows. It should be lower than D.

Some things I'd like to note. Namely that Veilstone sells Thunder and Blizzard. Generally, Thunder is a good nuke (it's innacurate, but 120 power is hard to ignore, especially with STAB) and makes a great tool for hte likes of Rotom and Jolteon (who can replace Shockwave once they get Thunderbolt). As for Blizzard, you can teach that to Snover and bam, he instantly has 100% accurate Blizzard.

Some other notes.

-Cranidos is fine where it is, only thing that really messes with it is that Earthquake is competed for (makes up for STAB and worse typing with higher Atk, but I'd still give it to Gliscor more often than not) and without it it relies on inaccurate moves like Rock Tomb to do damage. It's fast enough until like real lategame (talking confronting Cyrus lategame).

-Marill should be like D tier at best, near F at worst. It's possibly one of the slowest mons in the adventure, it's offense is ass even with STAB, only thing that even remotely excuses it is Huge Power which doesn't even help since you're basically stuck with Rollout (on a slow mon...), and Double Edge (a move that hurts you back, again not good for a slow mon). It's durability is merely average. There's close to nothing redeeming about this mon. It doesn't even really learn anything useful from TMs.

The following changes have been made:

Skorupi to E tier, below Mime Jr. I can go on and on about how awful it is, but I can shorthand it to: 'What were they thinking?!' I wanted to give it a chance, I really did. However, its jointime and movepool speak for itself. Yeah, Drapion is... decent. but the amount of pain you have to go through to even get Drapion is not worth it. This isn't like Ralts, where the Pokemon turns into something good after training(and gets good after either Lv30 or after the use of a dawn stone, both of which happen by the time Skorupi even becomes available, on top of having a better movepool.) Skorupi still has a poor movepool and very poor offensive stats until Lv40 to contend with.

Marill to D tier, below Tentacool. Yes, Marill shows up somewhat early and has Huge Power, but it honestly has a movepool almost as bad as poor old Skorupi above. In any case, Azumarril doesn't get physical Water STAB until VERY LATE(Waterfall isn't gotten until AFTER Sunyshore and Aqua Tail is learned at the high level of 47. For reference, Gabite evolves one level after that.) So basically, Azumarill is maining Rollout until Lv33, when it learns Double Edge. It can get Ice Punch through Move Tutor, but gl getting the required amount of shards to do so, and Brick Break is pretty much reserved for Fighting Pokes that are itching for some good Fighting STAB.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James