Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

Also, I think Twilkitri said that the previous patch did have Dragon Riders as Wyvern Riders and Altena's class as Wyvern Knight, that Dragon Knights were definitely called Wyvern Riders (not Wyvern Knights) and I think that its probably need to be change Dragon Riders as something else with changing Dragon to Wyvern and also needs to avoid with Rider part too from "Wyvern Rider". And I am not too sure if the Levin Sword was fixed as "Levin Sword" or not in the previous patch (that I'm still trying to get that IPS file working)

okay that works something like this

the Japanese FE4 has three wyvern classes: Dragon Rider, Dragon Knight and Dragon Master. obviously all three need to be renamed to "wyvern whatever" to match NoA's pattern, but normally as we all know the Wyvern Rider is what they usually call the Dragon Knight. however, that obviously conflicts with the separate Dragon Rider. i honestly think that the most recent patch's compromise - respectively going Wyvern Rider, Wyvern Knight and Wyvern Lord - is a very reasonable one and really not worth being nitpicky over because seriously who even gives a taintchafing fuck the Dragon Rider is the least relevant class ever (i guess a reasonable alternative is to superficially merge the Dragon Rider and Dragon Knight by calling both "Wyvern Rider", being that the former is completely redundant and irrelevant and they may as well be the same class; this is what the FE5 patch did with Bow Fighter/Archer)

as of the most recent patch, the Thunder Sword is still "Thunder Sword" for obvious reasons. i GUESS it can be called "Levin Sword" in this too, but honestly considering that a good 90% of people still call the dude "Levin", it's fair enough to leave the Levin Sword name out here if the powers that be so choose

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... What about we call Dragon Rider as "Wyvern Flier" or "Wyvern Trainer" instead?

Edited by King Marth 64

I solved the text overrun issue but am seeing a little funniness in the scripts now. Anyone have success working with the FE4 parser? Shin & hanhnn I'm looking at you :P

xmjYCzF.png

lol @ Seliph's almost haiku

zWxXf1R.png

I solved the text overrun issue but am seeing a little funniness in the scripts now. Anyone have success working with the FE4 parser? Shin & hanhnn I'm looking at you :P

xmjYCzF.png

lol @ Seliph's almost haiku

zWxXf1R.png

Even more progress! Perhaps we should make the font half-width next to allow more letters to be placed.

One thing I hate about FE4, I hate that the top text stays around when the bottom text comes up (or vice versa), then when the top speaks again their text continues onward. There should be more "clear" commands that clear the previous textbox.

I don't know how difficult it is to edit text with the SNES games but I would love to help on this.

So what issue do you get?

The issue now is two-fold: that sometimes text doesn't align to the top of a window (see my screenshot above - "But Larcei ..." is not at the top of the window) and that the whole width of text box isn't used appropriately (Seliph's haiku).

I'm going to start updating scripts and worry about this later. The game's still playable like this, it's just that I'm a perfectionist ...

Edited by Gharnef

• Holsety -> Forseti
  • Eltshan -> Eldigan
  • Scathach -> Ulster
  • Alvis -> Arvis
  • Aless -> Ares
  • Lakche -> Larcei
  • Sety -> Ced
  • Swanchika -> Helswath
  • THammer -> Mjolnir (though I love reading THammer...)
  • Falaflame -> Valflame
  • Hmm, Narga vs. Naga?

Thoughts on what the community at large would like for an update?

Some weapon changes I've thought of:

Knight Killer -> Horseslayer

Armor Cutter -> Armorslayer

Earth Sword -> Runesword

Wing Clipper -> Wingslayer?

Though they might be hard to fit in.

Edited by Boo Mansion

Yeah, making the names of the weapons more modernized to fit the current games would be awesome, also less confusing for the inevitable torrent of newcomers that are sure to enter the series because of FEA.

I'd definitely argue in favour of this as well, except in the case of the Earth Sword. idk this is probably just me being incredibly silly but it feels distinct enough from the Runesword, if obviously not in terms of function, that it could stand to retain its name

oh well

Suddenly, I appear!

Knight Killer -> Horseslayer

More recent versions of the weapon were called the "ridersbane," and "beastkiller."

Personally, I think "ridersbane" is the best name.

Edited by David the SecondWorld

as the patch currently stands, we're talking a maximum 8 characters for pretty much everything. for the majority of weapons it's pretty easy to file them down by lopping off sword/axe/whatever, but then you've got things like Mystletainn and Ridersbane (though imo the latter abbreviates somewhat more nicely than most to "Ridebane", and i guess the former could be rendered as "Mystltnn")

Alright, I fixed the text wrapping issue (was a bug in how I undid a funky macro in the FE4 parser).

So, this is really happening.

I'll update the patch with the most current names and stuff. Do we want to track requested changes here in this thread, or start its own?

Many of you guys have great ideas so I'd like the hivemind at large here to come to a consensus on the changes so we don't end up with stuff like freakin' "Serlis" again.

Anyone want to test out what I have so far? It's mostly names, items and places that I've changed to match the official mythology. I can upload the new patch somewhere if requested.

I'd be willing to playtest, I've got nothing but free time lately.

All I need to know is how thorough you'd want the playthrough to be(any specific events or something) and if I'd be applying the patch to a clean ROM or to the already existing translation? (assuming the latter instead of the former) Not sure how deep I'd have to dig in-game to find any lingering uses of the older names.

And I guess I should mention that Ced is a horrible name but that's not important in the grand scheme of things

Edited by PKLucas531

Woo-hoo! You're a god!

Anyway, I vote you, if not start a new thread, make a complete list of stuff you're changing and stuff you think might need to be changed, so that everything's in one post.

I'll update the patch with the most current names and stuff. Do we want to track requested changes here in this thread, or start its own?

Many of you guys have great ideas so I'd like the hivemind at large here to come to a consensus on the changes so we don't end up with stuff like freakin' "Serlis" again.

Anyone want to test out what I have so far? It's mostly names, items and places that I've changed to match the official mythology. I can upload the new patch somewhere if requested.

I say you start a new thread.

I may be able to playtest, but I can't say for certain at the moment.

All I need to know is how thorough you'd want the playthrough to be(any specific events or something) and if I'd be applying the patch to a clean ROM or to the already existing translation? (assuming the latter instead of the former) Not sure how deep I'd have to dig in-game to find any lingering uses of the older names.

Just playing the game is good enough for me :) I'm very busy with work so I don't have time to play through the game start to finish right now. I'm actually working on this during swordfight time, haha.

You'd apply the patch to a clean Japanese ROM. I forget if mine's headered or not (I believe it is). TBH I find the easiest thing to do is use Sne9X 1.53 in Windows because all you have to do is drop the .ips in the same dir as the ROM and it patches it at runtime and makes no modification to the ROM file itself.

I'll fire up a new thread for this er, improved improved patch with a download link and the changes I've made.

• 3 years later...