Rate the Unit, Day 5: Rhys

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Titania: 9.91

Edited by General Haarace

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great healer early on, but not much to say about his combat, since I only promoted him a few times in all my playhtroughs, but never really used him. All I remember is that he can't double ANYTHING. Best keep him with staves.

7/10

The first staffbot is just decent for my books.

He's physically fragile; although he'll laugh at the magical-based enemies. Now, if only his combat wasn't that too mediocre.

He is useful in early game for healing AND he has enough weight to shove all of the non-mounted GM except Gatrie. After that, its hard for him to earn a deployment slot. If trained to LV 20 before promoting he can have useful combat/durability once you get the Nosferatu tome, however it would cost quite a bit of Bexp to get him to LV 20 and Nosferatu has limited uses...

4.5/10 - He's not useless, i've just never had much use for him.

One of two primary healers in this game. The other being Mist. Earliest healer and much appreciated for this, but faces heavy competition for the staff EXP and doesn't stand in any ways other than being the sole Light magic user and earliest healer.

5/10 seems fair for this guy.

If trained to LV 20 before promoting he can have useful combat/durability once you get the Nosferatu tome

Except for the part where Nosferatu destroys Rhys's AS to the point of getting doubled...

That aside, 5/10. He's useful early on, but doesn't really stand out in many ways. While promoting gets him light magic, it's too bad light magic sucks horribly in FE9... And his support situation isn't too good either.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Obligatory healer, in a game where he represents half of the healers.

6 for being first, +.5 for me liking his character, and +.25 for using light magic exclusively in this, and the sequel.

3/10, pretty bad offense after promotion and can't use a staff like Rescue effectively due to crappy movement. crappy movement in general and dies... on the other hand, he's your only early game healer.

He's a staffbot with all that entails. Has to be watched over in some of the tougher early missions but he heals you in said missions so it balances out. The only Light user promoted. Unfortunately Light sucks in this game and he's not that great at using it.

5/10

Rhys, that sickly guy who heals junk.

Pros:

Early game healer.

Only one who can use light magic.

Has a level lead over the other healer. (and kind of a big one)

Res up the wizzwazz.

Staff rank.

Cons:

No Speed Rhys is what they call him.

Squishier than a wet tissue.

Low move.

Rhys is pretty useful when you get him. Hes like, the only guy doing that shiz until Mist shows up. And even when Mist shows up, hes probably doing it better than she is for the time being. Unlike Mist though, he doesnt get a cool horse when he promotes. So hes always gonna be kinda lagging behind, which is bad for someone who wants to heal the vanguard but cant get away from the shit being tossed at him. He can use light magic and is the only guy who can but...is it worth it? Maybe, if you give him a band that allows for speed growth (and maybe strength). His supports arent much to write home about either. I actually do prefer Mist because of her promotion and shiz over Rhys. Hes just hard to use for me. Besides Soren staffbots pretty well too. Rhys will have staff rank above the rest but Mist can reach it too. (Soren does crazy crap with a mere heal staff due to that high magic but again..cross that bridge....)

Bro gets a 6/10. Good for what he does but depending on playstyle, he may get the bench after a while. (No bias score)

9/10

Healers are invaluable regardless of the game, Rhys is your only healer until chapter 9, and Mist is so weak at healing for a while. Until she promotes he's unquestionably better than her, even afterwards, only tier players adore Mist and even THEN Rhys is far from useless or awful. Awesome healing range, powerful heals, essential role, I would honestly rank him higher than Titania since, even though she is powerful, the team can survive without her easily enough. Rhys, on the other hand, if the team isn't abusing Titania, makes it a lot harder to function without him.

Well, as stated he is a wet tissue. His combat is not only bad, but you might not actually want him to use a tome since he has no Str so he might actually risk getting doubled... Therefore even the fact that nobody else can use Light tomes and that the rank is linked to his staff rank, doesn't help him. At all.

On the other hand, Mist really is pretty much the only other healer available. The mages don't get staffs until promotion and I found them annoying to train. And none of the promotable Sages can use staffs.

I guess the same person who came up with that whole thing about Sages and knifes is probably also responsible for making the S-Rank Light tome an near undroppable item in the hands of a Bishop in movement range of the Final Boss.

Anyway, since I can't do without having at least 2 healers, Rhys gets plenty of opportunity to make himself useful even after Mist gets a Pony (Or is it a horse? I'm no expert.). His movement is a bit of a pain but that's what those ranged heal-staff thingies are for.

8,5/10

+1 bias for being a member of the mercs.

Edited by BrightBow

I guess the same person who came up with that whole thing about Sages and knifes is probably also responsible for making the S-Rank Light tome an near undroppable item in the hands of a Bishop in movement range of the Final Boss.

Anyway, since I can't do without having at least 2 healers, Rhys gets plenty of opportunity to make himself useful even after Mist gets a Pony (Or is it a horse? I'm no expert.). His Movement is a bit of a pain but that's what Purgatives are for.

Bold: What?

And I'd also say that same guy had the idea of making light magic suck so badly.

Bold: What?

And I'd also say that same guy had the idea of making light magic suck so badly.

Purgatives are the name used for these staffs in the German translation. Just got the names mixed up. I meant Physics, of course.

Physic* because Physics and Physic are actually two different things.

Well, according to the always reliable source Wiktionary Physics should be fine as plural. Besides, it is not a physic. It's just something named Physic. So I think it should be okay but I suck at English so that probably doesn't saying much.

Of course if nothing else I learned never to use Physic when talking about Physics so that's definitely something useful I learned here.

Anyway, thank you. I really appreciate this.

Edited by BrightBow

using light magic exclusively in this, and the sequel.

Micaiah, Laura, Sanaki, and Lehran all use Light Magic in RD.

I'll give Rhys a 6/10, he's really needed in earlygame because of Ike, Boyd, Soren, and Mia all getting hurt frequently. He's your only healer until Mist as well. He has the durability of a wet tissue, but he has decent dodging skills, and this is FE9HM. The enemies aren't that tough.

Rhys is your first healer, showing up in chapter 2. This guy REALLY shouldn't be getting attacked. He has 0 defense at base. His HP isn't - that - great either. And he has 5 speed at base, so his dodge isn't all that reliable either! But hey ... if your healers are getting attacked, you're doing it wrong. He has a good magic base and growth, plus resistance base and growth, so he will heal lots of HP in one turn and he can take magical attacks and not take as much damage as the other units you have at this point.

Also, since PoR has BEXP and automatic promotion healers can actually keep up in levels and promote in a more timely manner, should you choose to. Unfortunately, Rhys' combat is kind of a joke. He will get weighed down by anything other than forges because his magic is poor and light magic is a tad heavy (ironic, isn't it? Light is heavy), and his speed will always be pretty bad without a band and speedwings. He can hit hard, once, from a distance so other units can pick off what he kills. Or he can be a finisher if no one else is available.

I give him a 6/10. He's pretty much the only staff user for a few earlygame chapters and you'll probably want to keep him around for a few chapters even after you get Mist. Loses points for fail durability and poor combat.

I'll give Rhys a 6/10, he's really needed in earlygame because of Ike, Boyd, Soren, and Mia all getting hurt frequently. He's your only healer until Mist as well. He has the durability of a wet tissue, but he has decent dodging skills, and this is FE9HM. The enemies aren't that tough.

I didn't mean exclusively in the sequel, I just meant exclusively in PoR.

I'd give Rhys a solid 5. As many others have said, for the first part of the game he is the best healer available and until post chapter 18, probably deserves a deployment slot. However once other magical units promote and gain access to staves, he tends to be easily forgotten due to his lack luster offensive ability and poor physical defense compared to the various sages you could have by then. If the game was a little harder, high level staffs weren't quiet as useless (the lack of warp for example) or if Rhys had an extra +2 base speed and strength he could have been scored much higher and more useable throughout the entire game.

Edited by NTNP

I took it as him being light-only for both, and not as being the only light user.

I don't see why he's getting more than a 5, after Chapter 9 your units are no longer frail.