Arkel's original music commission thread

arkel

Not quite sure where this topic might belong, but went with the most obvious answer to post it in rom hacking. I am a composer and am willing to take on any of you wonderful rom hackers as clients. An example of my work can be found on my SoundCloud (link below). Original music is a great way to create interest in your hack so I hope some of you will consider hiring me.

https://soundcloud.com/jay-maenhout/sets/custom-fire-emblem-tracks

Edited by arkel

Hey, that's not bad for the retro video game feel. I'm curious though... how much would hiring you cost?

It would depend on exactly how much work you'd like me to do. If this thread generates enough interest, I'll post a document with how my pricing works. The thing to keep in mind is that being a composer is my actual real life profession, so I literally can't afford to be terribly generous.

I'm intrigued, but I would need to see more than just one song and would obviously need a rundown on how pricing works (since these are not free or cheap, I would imagine) and need to get a gauge on your willingness to work within certain technical limits etc.

Passing off one of Lufia's Battle Themes as an original recruit theme and asking to get paid for it isn't exactly the greatest start.

mm it isn't explicit that it's a remake but it's implied from the picture and the fire emblem tag...

though op um...you only have 2 tracks. i think you should have more examples of your work. i mean, i only have 2 tracks on my soundcloud that i made like a week ago and they're pretty "arranged" remixes. not going to link my soundcloud and it's not in my profile i'm not plugging i swear

but yeah the 2 tracks on your page aren't bad it's just that i don't feel that it's some of your best work, esp considering the first track is hardly changed from the original.

I'd be more interested if I saw some original work. Being able to remix or rearrange is nice, but it's far from the original work you claim to be able to do.

Passing off one of Lufia's Battle Themes as an original recruit theme and asking to get paid for it isn't exactly the greatest start.

Indeed, this recruitment theme is a remix of the theme you linked to, but was specifically asked to be that for the hack it was written for. I'm sorry if it seemed to be advertised as otherwise. I'll post an original work later in the day when I have access to my external hard drive.

Hmm... From what I've seen (i.e. one song) your original work doesn't seem to have that same sort of thematic feel that's characteristic to FE. To put it bluntly, it doesn't seem like anything I'd be humming. I'll need to see a bit more before I say anything.

Also, your piano ballad has part of the melody to Teenage Dream in it.

Well, it is already an Ariana Grande song :P:

I KNEW it sounded familiar...

But anyway, yeah... but without an idea of what's charged per song, it's hard to know if I should be following this. There also isn't a lot of evidence that what you make would actually fit the Fire Emblem atmosphere properly.

Added another track to the playlist. Hope you all enjoy.

In terms of feedback - The melody is simple yet pretty, but I think you spend too long looping the intro/A part before getting into the real meat of the song. It feels more classically JRPG than Fire Emblem, but I think with development around that idea it has potential.