MarioKirby's Sprite Topik

MarioKirby

So, I had started on an entry for the most recent Mug Splice competition, but not being done on the day of the deadline and lack of motivation for splicing made me decide to forget the splicing and just custom most of the rest.

This is the result:

intendedset25entry.png

The chestplate is the main custom-piece, though the shading on the far shoulder-guard is also mostly custom. the shirt isn't done yet, obviously. C+C?

Edited by MarioKirby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this new one! The only thing I really see that could use much fixing is the right shoulder (OPV) underneath the shoulder-pad could be fixed, which upon further observation you said. So, really, very good job so far.

I like most of your work, really. The one two posts above is looking awesome so far, as is everything else. Keep it up :D

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've entered into Xiltas's recently made compo, but as someone has pointed out, it doesn't look very feminine.

So, to correct the problem, I'm trying to make a half-body for said compo. Seeing as this is my first, however, I need you guys's input. Desperately.

Here it is, so far:

eliwoodkad5.png

Obvious WIP. Mainly working on her torso. C+C? Demolish it as you see fit.

Looks cool so far, but there are a few things to fix. First, the shading on her breastplate feels pillowy, and also formless. It's probably fitted to the curves of her chest, so don't make it look like she has a uniboob. The left breast (opv) should also have a more convex shape (as opposed to concave shape) on its top curve. Right now it looks funny because of the way the far shoulderpad is overlapping it. Her hips could be a little wider, too, to give her more of an hourglass figure; otherwise the big shoulderpads will make her look topheavy and masculine. Finally, you could probably reduce the mount of wrinkles a bit, and reduce the size of her sleeve below the elbow, which is too wide. IMO, more formfitting sleeves would be a better design choice, so you can show off Elilady's slimmer and more feminine arms.

Hope this helps, good luck on finishing her! :D

@Aste: On the breastplate issue, I did something similar to Fiora's and Isadora's oficial art, and those two didn't have form-fitting armor. That being said, I'll see what I can do with it.

Update, BTW:

eliwoodkad5.png

Tried to fix up the problems Astelaine pointed out. C+C?

Edit: Let's try this again...

Which design looks better?

Edited by MarioKirby

403 Forbidden ImageShack error. :(

Edit: Not having seen your updated pic yet, and looking at the un-fixed one again, I think the problem with the breastplate more specifically is that the shadow the cloak casts on the armor is too big. It needs to be trimmed back a little, so that it is less thick than the shadow on the underside of the breasts, which should be the more pronounced of the shadowy areas. I see what you mean about Isadora and Fiora's breastplates being less form-fitting, but the shadows on the underside of the boobs still need to suggest curves more, even if you don't put "cleavage" in the breastplate's center.

Uhh I hope that makes more sense. >> I look forward to seeing your fixes! Eat me imageshack

Edited by Astelaine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I want you guys' opinions on something.

Should I enter this into the 29th Splice Competition?

set29entry.png

(Yes, it IS a splice for those who think it isn't.)

Now, the reason I'masking this is because I added a good chunk of shading to it, which would probably nullify the entry due to one of the rules. However, I haven't actually outright sprited something completely; thus, all the noticeable features of the splice are spliced. So, what's your opinion on the matter?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

set29mugsheet.png

First try at something like this. C+C?

I just have to say that mohawkishs in fire emblem are fricken sweet. I really like this sprite, he seems, like, part shaolin monk, part rugged. Just awesome.

Edited by deranger

@The Doc.) Sure, under two conditions:

-you give me partial credit for the assembling of the splice.

-I finish the chibi first.

@The other two) Thank you for your comments.

You'd obviously get full credit because you created it.

Also I'm going to use the pre-existing generic enemy things instead of chibis, but if you still want to make one it's your decision.

I said partial because Nintendo/IS made the original mugs.

I'll be making a chibi for it anyway, but if you won't use it then you don't have to.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to cut down the amount of easily discernable pieces in another splice:

set12entry.png

My entry from the 12th Splice Competition. Still trying to change the chin-line some. C+C?

• 4 weeks later...

So, two things to show.

First, a map I decided to make recently:

prologuemap1.png

I'm sure that there's several issues, such as tile-spamming and/or incorrect tile use, so criticize away.

Second, some additions to my most-recent splice comp. entry:

set33entry.png

Comment and point out flaws as necessary.

• 4 weeks later...