MarioKirby's Sprite Topik

MarioKirby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ptolemy: It's not the villager's shirt (Atleast, the main bulk of it isn't). It's the villager's bald head, reshaded, with the trim being parts of Artur's and Clarine's clothing.

@Ptolemy: It's not the villager's shirt (Atleast, the main bulk of it isn't). It's the villager's bald head, reshaded, with the trim being parts of Artur's and Clarine's clothing.

That's insane. I love it.

I do agree with you that most of it doesn't look great, either anatomically or artistically. Will fix sometime.

In other news, I've made another map:

randommap1.png

Western Isles has a very nice palette. Once again, point out the numerous, apparent flaws, as well as other comments.

Edited by MarioKirby

Ok I actually don't sprite maps so I may not even know what I'm talking about, but it looks like those two tiles on the top left look like they weren't even made for this type of map. They look like they're a different color than the other trees. They seem to really stand out.

They don't look too appealing to me, either, but that's how the tileset is. I, however, will try and look for a better substitute.

Looking back at it, I've also noticed that I've tile-spammed the regular ground tiles a lot. Will fix both problems later.

• 2 weeks later...

6baddce3507952d82241f930e91c976c.png

You can't pass through here becuase of the placement of the thickets.

Dunno if that was intentional or not, though.

Mountains could be a little better, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with the map.

Whoops. I figured all the forest-related tiles can be traversed, but I guess not. Will fix.

When you mean better mountains, do you mean better design or more correct tile placement?

• 4 months later...

Wait, I still make stuff?

I guess so:

set15entry.png

I decided to revamp my splice entry from set 15. Almost completely custom, with only part of the hair being reused. Old splice is on the left, the new version on the right.

C+C, as always.

Wow - I love it! Your revamped splice looks awesome, Mariokirby. :) Your changes really refined the design and made his personality more readable. Great work!

The only critique I can really offer is that the left half of the cloak (opv) looks bunched rather than draped. You also need a little more antialiasing on his armor trim, and to neaten up your AAing in general. It's not an image-killing problem, but it would help to smooth out some jaggedness.

I don't agree with deranger about him being "old people skinny." Rather, I think his leanness accentuates his mean personality. His weight/build seems fine.

Keep it up, MK! I'd love to see more custom work from you!

• 2 months later...

I come trudging out of the forest with progress:

week46custom.png

Originally was my entry into the the 46th splice compo, but then I added stuff. Obviously a WIP. C+C on what's already worked on, and tips for unfinished stuff is welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

*Blows dust away*

set35entrytake2.png

So, I attempted to fix up this guy...though I'm not sure I did too well. Cape still needs to be finished. Criticism is always welcome, and tips on things to do better as well.

Ooh, I've never seen your sprites before. I really like the mugs a lot.

Anyways, to the most recent post, that hair is so awesome, I love it, though it's a bit strange to me that the hair on the right stands straight up as if he'd combed it then used hairspray to make it stand up, whereas the hair on the left side of his head just seems like unruly, curled hair, but if combover was what you were going for then you were totally successful.

Something that instantly stands out to me in this are his shoulders, they seem as if they should slouch a bit more, particularly on the far side without the pauldron. It makes him look like he's tensing his shoulders a bit or has overly broad shoulders.

The original was made for a splice contest, so the hair was just, "Let's take what we have and throw it on in a unique way." All the same, if there are any shading issues, especially where the hair attaches to his head, feel free to point it out.

Tense shoulders are not what I was trying to convey, so that will be fixed.

Looking over it, I have noticed some other details that need to be spruced up, as well.

EDIT: Attempted fix-up #2

set35entrytake2.png

Cape is still a WIP. Criticism and advice is always welcome.

Edited by MarioKirby

• 2 months later...

More stuff from me.

Some mug touch-ups:

set33entry.png (Shoulder fur is WIP)

set29entry.png (Body and neck are still WIPs)

Some maps (Spoilered for size):

[spoiler=]

mapcomp30.png

For the map competition that dealt with revamping an AW map.

sfmapcompo32.png

For the map competition revamping Port Toha or something like that.

And, something different:

cafespritecomp1.png