Rate the Unit, Day 8: Aran

PKL

Aran isnt getting to 15 spd before 3-6 dude. Also, how is Aran not needing resources? He needs the beastfoe, a steel lance forge, a speedwing, BEXP and probably the draco to function well in HM. Not going to count your vote.

Really? This is the post you pick to not count? Not リンダ's 0.5 rating with a non-sensical justification (use Nephenee instead). Aside from the "not needing resources" bit, Serious Bananas posted a reasonable justification. As for Aran not "getting to 15 Spd before 3-6", what is your justification for that claim? Aran is more likely than not to reach 15 AS by 19/1 (or equivalent). You didn't specify the completion efficiency assumed during these ratings, so Aran could have been boss abused up to tier 3 for all you know. More relevantly, you explicitly state that "BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character". An Aran that is fed BEXP for levels 18, 19, and 20 of tier 1 and then promoted is very likely to have 15 or more Spd. In fact, Serious Bananas mentioned BEXP and/or the 1-E Speedwings as recourses in the event that Aran doesn't naturally reach 15 Spd by 3-6. Add on top of that the relative rarity of 18 AS Tigers and the potential for Aran to level-up in 3-6 itself, and you realize that Aran being doubled by Tigers is very close to a non-factor.

And FYI, Aran's optimal resource bundle in HM is probably: forges (like every beorc), the 1-4 Seraph Robe, a Master Seal, a Master Crown (if you want to use him in Part 4), and some Bexp (to round off a level or two before each promotion). He is not ordinarilly a good candidate for Leonardo's Dracoshield, Beastfoe, or the 1-E Speedwings.

Edited by aku chi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? This is the post you pick to not count? Not リンダ's 0.5 rating with a non-sensical justification (use Nephenee instead). Aside from the "not needing resources" bit, Serious Bananas posted a reasonable justification.

Serious Bananas didn't even say that Aran doesn't need resources, he said he doesn't need many resources, which is certainly true if you train him to a good level. After all, the Dracoshield is just overkill, the Speedwing doesn't let him reach any important benchmarks, and a forge + some skill in Part 3 (one of Beastfoe/Paragon/Resolve) shouldn't be held against him. If it's true that Aran "needs" Beastfoe to have good offense, what does that mean for Nolan who has less attack and still won't double anything?

Serious Bananas didn't even say that Aran doesn't need resources, he said he doesn't need many resources, which is certainly true if you train him to a good level. After all, the Dracoshield is just overkill, the Speedwing doesn't let him reach any important benchmarks, and a forge + some skill in Part 3 (one of Beastfoe/Paragon/Resolve) shouldn't be held against him. If it's true that Aran "needs" Beastfoe to have good offense, what does that mean for Nolan who has less attack and still won't double anything?

doesn't Nolan like

OHKO everything in 3-6 with Beastfoe and Tarvos, which Aran can't do period?

Nolan has 36ATK without Beastfoe, Aran has 36ATK. Neither of them double.

So tell me, which of these characters "needs" Beastfoe?

Wouldn't both "need" it... and wouldn't Nolan make better use of it due to being able to get 72 ATK (instant OHKO) with it? Aran's inability to OHKO the strongest Tigers in 3-6 is pretty serious (and even at 20/1, he'll miss some OHKOs at first with just 66 ATK), since it means he needs a followup attack to kill and that he's going to take another hit before the Tiger finally dies. That's what I was driving at.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

You're missing the point. Anouleth is saying it's retarded to rag on Aran for needing Beastfoe when Nolan also needs it and nobody cares. And he's correct. Both of them need Beastfoe. He was not saying Aran>Nolan with Beastfoe or anything like that.

You're missing the point. Anouleth is saying it's retarded to rag on Aran for needing Beastfoe when Nolan also needs it and nobody cares. And he's correct. Both of them need Beastfoe. He was not saying Aran>Nolan with Beastfoe or anything like that.

...I see.

I will just let you guys rate however u want. Figuring out which ratings should be counted is tedious. Specially when people get on my hair when I dont count a vote...and I cant be arsed to just look at the thread everytime someone posts to check If the vote is valid.

I will just let you guys rate however u want. Figuring out which ratings should be counted is tedious.

But then, what is the criteria to rate a character? LTC? Casual Play? Because I can take all the turns I want to have Aran or any other character train and abuse level ups at the beginning of chapters, and rate them really high; or I can be tired of being screwed with a character, that has his uses (good ones in particular cases), and rate him awfully low.

It's just, what are we assuming to base our ratings? Because styles of playing have their differences. I can just, for example, rate Ilyana higher because I can get Bolting in 3-2 with a str blessed Heather, and, I don't, kill the boss or other units that block my path in chapters such as 3-3.

Edited by Quintessence

Who cares?

It's not like we're actually going to use the ratings for anything anyway.

PKL can easily make a new RD HM Tier list, who cares? Then what is the purpose of this? Just to post post post and lol around?

How about we give some hint/clue of why we rate X unit a #/10. Like say what you need to say and conclude with, for instance, "LTC, 4/10", and leave it at that.

It hasn't been much of a problem, but this has come up since the start of these.

The purpose of these, as far as I can tell, is to give a new player insight as to what X unit is all about, and to give current players more indepth information that they may not already have. Obviously these threads will have different information. I honestly plan on playing FE4 after reading the RTU threads, to determine how passing down crap works, so I don't shoot myself in the foot.

Look at the crap strewn on GFaqs. If you read that shit before playing game and based your play through on that, well...

The order is like that intentionally, Crash. I still cant believe Sothe is worse than Nolan :o.

Nolan doesn't suck in lategame.

Anyway, Aran. He's got good Defense and Strength. But that abysmal Speed... And he's not the first candidate for BEXP, especially in HM when BEXP is short supply. He can be good with BEXP because he'll cap STR and DEF fairly easily, so that will fix his SPD problems. Otherwise we're relying on procing Speed growths for him to not get obliterated in 3-6. And then it goes massively downhill from there.

-1 because blandness.

1.5/10

His Speed is worrisome. His offense, otherwise, isn't. The fun part is to max out HP/Defense first, so he can get enough BEXP to solve the Speed issues. In other words, he needs kind of a lot of favoritism. Not that I mind, because I find him amusing.

6/10 (bias point included)

Aran has speed issues but is all around pretty good otherwise. He's the opposite of Edward but funnily enough just as good. Lances put him in the perfect middle way of hitting and damaging enemies. When he actually gets leveled his ST, Skl and DEf ram their caps allowing easy BEXP levels for a maxed out Aran.

He has his backsides too.

He HAS to hit 15 speed by 3-6 to prevent getting roflpwnd by tigers.

By endgame his Spd caps at 33, one short of the magic 34.

Aran isnt getting to 15 spd before 3-6 dude. Also, how is Aran not needing resources? He needs the beastfoe, a steel lance forge, a speedwing, BEXP and probably the draco to function well in HM. Not going to count your vote.

He might need a little BEXP, but he reaches 15 speed on average in 20/1, the Wing is just is he's below average, so yeah. Other units need it more in HM, such as Edward or Nolan, he does okay without it in my experience. I know he's not on par with Nolan, he probably has claim to Beastfoe, with Tarvos and all. BEXP might be limited, but all it takes is finishing off a level, once his stats start to cap. Would you count it if I lowered to a 7?

His Speed is worrisome. His offense, otherwise, isn't. The fun part is to max out HP/Defense first, so he can get enough BEXP to solve the Speed issues. In other words, he needs kind of a lot of favoritism. Not that I mind, because I find him amusing.

6/10 (bias point included)

this, but 7/10

Then what is the purpose of this? Just to post post post and lol around?

You kind of hit the nail on the head. Rating topics like this clearly aren't being set up to provide any kind of objective measure of how good characters are; if they were, then they'd be a lot stricter and certainly wouldn't permit "bias points". They're just a fun way to discuss things.

Not everything has to be SRS low turn count business.

Aran, AKA One of two men with enough sheer balls to stop the Marado fuckwits from dying (provided Tauroneo is going the way of the bridge, and I forget if Jill can rescue him anyway, probably) and slow as molasses, But he doesn't need to be fast, he just needs to take hits and keep on trucking, and he does it better than our resident Armor, and is around longer than Taurokillsalot, Yes he needs some resources to remain viable and he doesn't even begin to APPROACH having a personality, so 5/10 flat.

But then, what is the criteria to rate a character? LTC? Casual Play? Because I can take all the turns I want to have Aran or any other character train and abuse level ups at the beginning of chapters, and rate them really high; or I can be tired of being screwed with a character, that has his uses (good ones in particular cases), and rate him awfully low.

It's just, what are we assuming to base our ratings? Because styles of playing have their differences. I can just, for example, rate Ilyana higher because I can get Bolting in 3-2 with a str blessed Heather, and, I don't, kill the boss or other units that block my path in chapters such as 3-3.

I rate on averages. How a unit acts on average. I toss bias in my ratings too (and have it a separate score for reasons i have already explained). I rate on my own playstyle which is (usually) a middle ground between efficient and casual. Casual efficient? *shrug*