What Do You Follow?

volkethereaper

Tell us about your beliefs, whatever they may be. Debate them if you wish, since that's fun, too. But above all else, show other people respect. Human beings are imperfect, and so no belief system is inherintly better than any other, no matter the number of its desciples. Don't call anyone's beliefs stupid. After all, your's may seem just as stupid to them. Now that the playing field has been leveled, let's have some fun.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently, I am an agnostic theist. Though, to be honest, I'm still confused on my final religious (or lack thereof) decision/belief.

I had a long talk with Lightbrand about Islam, but I still haven't read the Qur'an. I should get to reading it to decide for myself if God exists or not. Since I have given up completely on Christianity.

Edited by MGS: Metal Gear Solid

I seem to be some odd brand of Christianity (not sure which one is the one that emphasizes free will, and keeping your trap shut about religion unless asked about it).

I am an atheist. I tend to take an agnostic approach when it comes to the presence of an undefined higher power, though when it comes to mainstream religion I am person in the field of a strong atheist. In other words, I do not discount the possibility of a nondescript higher being of some sort existing, though I vest no belief in it. However, in the case of something such as Christianity, I actively believe its god to be a falsity.

Agnostic. I believe there may be some sort of divine being watching over us, even if it didn't necessarily create us.

I'm totally open to anyone who wishes to sway me, I enjoy religious debates as long as they're with people who are willing to employ an open mind.

So the easy for most people to get along with kind? That's pretty cool.

I believe that God created us with free will, and that includes religion. I don't care what others follow, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others (i.e. the ones that took human sacrifices don't sit well with me). I am a Christian, so I follow the rules of Christianity. The Christianity-specific ones shouldn't have to apply to those that don't follow it (so if some chick who got knocked up wants an abortion, I won't try to manipulate the laws so she can't. I don't agree with her reasons, and will most likely not be her BFF, but I believe she should have the option of having an abortion).

In the same vein, I don't like trying to convert others. First, it's imposing on their free will. Second, willing converts are more likely to stick with it than unwilling ones. Lastly, I suck at being a salesperson.

If there's a name for this, I don't know what it is.

Agnostic atheist. I find no evidence for there to be a deity or the supernatural, and that a lack of these entities is the default state. Doesn't really get much deeper than that.

I guess I'm a Christian, but I have no denomination, I don't really like the idea of people becoming priests or nuns, I don't like the idea of confession, I definitely don't like the ideas behind church, and I don't like the shunning of physical niceties. I've always thought that my religion is more base don my morals, and my morals more relate to my political beliefs, the strongest of which are about economic freedom and being Pro-Life.

I also think that people should have as many kids as them and their society can support. Its kindof weird, but if you think about it; the difference between me having a comfy 3 kids and stretching to have 6 or 7 is 3 or 4 human lives. I would sacrifice my own life to save 3 kids, particularly if they were my own kids, so why shouldn't I work harder to make more people?

Its a serious philosophical conundrum.

I guess I could be considered a Christian, since I do believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and that God raised him from the dead. I don't consider myself to belong to any particular denomination. While I believe that Christ is the only way to heaven, I also believe that no one can be forced into accepting Christ. Everyone must make a decision freely. I believe that the greatest teaching of Christ was to have love for one another, as he names that as the identifying trait of his disciples.

Then you're an agnostic atheist. Not much difference, but whatever. They're basically the same.

Agnosticism is the belief that knowledge of God is currently or inherently unknowable, atheism is just lack of belief in a God.

So he's not an agnostic. At least, not as far as he's defined himself.

I don't believe that free will exists.

This too. I think things were meant to happen and not made to happen. Get what i mean. I suppose i have some sort of idea about it but i can't clearly put it into words.

I don't care.

But, it's inherently impossible for any of us to ever know anything (all knowledge possible is limited by the environment we are exposed to, and even further by our biased awareness, and further, our acknowledgment, capacity, capability, such other mess of things), and so to try and feel out whether there's an entity or not drops out of the game entirely, because you can't. You can put faith out, but that's just silly--that's hardly trying to figure out anything or believe in anything. That's vouching for your own team without caring about anything else.

I don't care but it's a little impossible to think there's a being above all of us that created us with intent. That's the human drive for meaning and explanation wrapping itself into a cold stare and dropping out because it can't explain itself. To say Atlas holds the world, only turtles can hold Atlas, and its turtles the whole way down--ba da dum.

Religion is a farce. It's leftover mythology that people still cling to because of fear. I get the point of having it in a society, because it does keep people who would otherwise harm others from acting out, but as for my own life... well I'm perfectly moral and happy without it. I also don't thrive on guilt, like many religions do. I don't feel I deserve to pay for someone else's fuck up, and I definitely don't feel like if there is a greater being, that it is out there to torture me to the point where I feel like I deserve it for whatever reason.

That said, I don't hate religion or religious people. I have a great respect for it, and I love to learn about it, but I just don't really see the point of it in regards to my own life, and sure as hell I don't get it when it comes to deciding what other people do with their lives.

Edited by Crystal Shards

I don't see any reason to believe in any sort of deity. As I don't see any way to definitely prove the (non)existence of one, I just don't concern myself with it. Regardless, I find the idea of a divine overlord kinda silly as it really just seems to be a relic of primitive societies creating easy-to-understand explanations for natural phenomena and the existence/purpose of life or, more sinister, as a means of obedience/order imposed through fear and manipulation. And the mass religion seems way too corruptible/manipulative to even consider its merits.

There are much more useful things to do than sitting around all day worrying about something that cannot be definitively proven and really doesn't even matter.

I try not to (well I don't generally have to try, it's just the way I ended up) put any faith in anything outstanding or extraordinary without evidence. As a result, I am an athiest. Some people think that means I strongly believe that gods can't exist or whatever, but honestly what it means in practise is that given I have absolutely no reason to believe in a god or higher power of any sort, I treat it exactly the same way I treat other things that I have no reason to believe in (which is outright dismissal, at least until the evidence changes).

The thing is though, I don't really "follow" athiesm. It's not a set of beliefs, it's not really something you can obey or conform to. I suppose you could say I'm a Secular Humanist because that's what online tests will call me. I generally like people and try to work for the happiness and wellbeing of as many people as I can, myself included. Call it whatever you want really.

Personally, I am a pagan. It honestly makes more sense (to me) that there would be multiple deities with higher power, and that they would be imperfect as their creations are. However, I won't go in depth unless someone wishes to debate.