Buy the game?

I just want to gauge the interest. With all the information we've gotten, has anybody changed their minds to buy the game? And why? (For those that wanted to buy the game from the beginning as well)

I was not going to buy the game at all in the beginning but I am somewhat revising my opinion, since it still is an RPG on the Wii U, which the console really needs and the gameplay itself does not look that bad. I am still not sure however and would rather wait when Western reviews are out to see what they think about it.

Well I wanted to buy it from the beginning and I have preordered the SE because I still like the way it looks even though it was not really what I thought it would be, this game is the whole reason I got in to SMT and I am really looking forward to playing it. I would say that you should wait and see what you think once it comes out, but there are several lets plays of the Japanese version so I would recommend looking them up and see if it is a game you want to play/spend the money on. I don't know if they do this in Europe but here in the US after an Atlus game has been out a year they drop the price by $10 and with the NX coming out it may get a price cut by the end of the year if you don't want to pay the full price for it. I would also see if Atlus shows the game off at E3, because since it is coming out right after E3 they will probably show a good bit of game play off.

Considering that all Special Editions are already sold out or at least the places I have looked at would means two things. The game will sell better than expected or it's in very low and limited supply or both.

Personally since day one I've been looking forward to it. Still waiting for more news on NX, especially if it will have backward compatibility or not, so I can decide if I should buy a cheap Wii U or wait for NX.

My opinions line up mostly with yours. Just really gotta wait for the reviewers to do their thing. I was pretty excited for the game for the longest time but as some of us may know, I didn't take the no dub announcement all that well. I've cooled off a little since then I'm a little more open to getting it (I've started to appreciate the music more despite it being full Japanese, and I like the localization changes so far), but the reviews should come first like you and I said.

Now excuse me while I find a place to hide from the anti-localization army.

Edited by PeaceRibbon

I don't think at first I was going to buy it at first, mainly because of first impressions of it not being what I expected at all. I didn't even know this was SMTxFE at first when seeing that one trailer. I got over it though, and I heard it was actually pretty decent.

So yeah, I pre-ordered the special edition. I couldn't care less about localization hoo-ha.

Yep.

Back when the game was first revealed as "not SMT x FE", I said that this was going to be epic. . .though I wasn't sure if "trainwreck" would follow. Looks like it's just gonna be interesting, so I'm going to get it~!

When they showed the first real trailer, I was like "This games looks weird and anime-ish". Then they said it was what came of SMT x FE and I was like "what the fuck? This wasn't what I was expecting". I was a bit annoyed at first.... for like a day or 2, then I rewatched the trailer several times and my excitement for it started to build.

I am going to buy it, maybe day 1, maybe not. I don't like comparing products to their Japanese counterpart because I believe it is not worth getting mad about changes. No English dub kind of sucks, but given the setting, Japanese audio makes sense a bit more.

I think my current stance on the game is pretty well known at this point. I was skeptical when they reintroduced the game, but still intrigued. After we've seen more about the game and especially after the japanese release when people started streaming the game I was sold.

I'm also waiting for reviews to come up, I absolutely expect them to mirror the japanese ones (in fact, not only the reviews but also players' impressions after release). It probably won't change the fate of the game here (won't sell very well), but I think it'll be enough for a starting point that will allow the game to grow further next time, if the hints we have end up concretized. If not, well, that will still remain an enjoyable game to play, especially since there isn't many JRPGs on Wii U.

Well I wanted to buy it from the beginning and I have preordered the SE because I still like the way it looks even though it was not really what I thought it would be, this game is the whole reason I got in to SMT and I am really looking forward to playing it. I would say that you should wait and see what you think once it comes out, but there are several lets plays of the Japanese version so I would recommend looking them up and see if it is a game you want to play/spend the money on. I don't know if they do this in Europe but here in the US after an Atlus game has been out a year they drop the price by $10 and with the NX coming out it may get a price cut by the end of the year if you don't want to pay the full price for it. I would also see if Atlus shows the game off at E3, because since it is coming out right after E3 they will probably show a good bit of game play off.

I wouldn't expect that, everything is on Nintendo side, and they are already promoting the game on their own. I may be wrong, but Atlus has only been involved twice, first time when they developed the game, and second time when Nintendo decided to rely on Atlus of America for the localization, and that's it.

Considering that all Special Editions are already sold out or at least the places I have looked at would means two things. The game will sell better than expected or it's in very low and limited supply or both.

Personally since day one I've been looking forward to it. Still waiting for more news on NX, especially if it will have backward compatibility or not, so I can decide if I should buy a cheap Wii U or wait for NX.

I don't think they have high expectation for the game, so probably low and limited supply. While the game may end up selling better than their expectations if word of mouth is good, I don't expect it to have a great impact overall.

Edited by Avk

I wouldn't expect that, everything is on Nintendo side, and they are already promoting the game on their own. I may be wrong, but Atlus has only been involved twice, first time when they developed the game, and second time when Nintendo decided to rely on Atlus of America for the localization, and that's it.

I believe Nintendo announced they would forgo all marketing of their upcoming games except for the new Zelda (that won't be released until another year). Even though I am a Zelda fan, that's total bullshit. At least the Treehouse could have made a playthrough of the TMS:FE.

I believe Nintendo announced they would forgo all marketing of their upcoming games except for the new Zelda (that won't be released until another year). Even though I am a Zelda fan, that's total bullshit. At least the Treehouse could have made a playthrough of the TMS:FE.

Indeed, regarding E3 Zelda will be the only game they will focus on if I've understood the news correctly. I'm disappointed since it's a missed opportunity to promote the game (and to be honest, not only #FE, there are other games that I'm sure people would have liked, Pokemon Sun & Moon just to name one of the most popular), but at the same time, I wonder if it is truly the place to promote a game that will release like 2 weeks after the event.

I personally hope that they'll announce a new Nintendo Direct in the coming weeks, it'll be about 3 months in a week since the previous one.

Atleast they brought the game at others events, like PAX (not really familiar with that event since I'm not american), and they are apparently doing some kind of event tomorrow (only saw that recently), it's not the kind of overwhelming advertising that games like Smash or Splatoon got, but the game doesn't reach as much people due to its genre and theme, and is hard to advertise because of the second.

I'm getting a little sidetracked, but even if they put massive amounts of efforts and money to promote the game, they probably wouldn't get a lot from that. The best that can happen in my opinion is once the game is released, good word of mouth will incite people to try it out, because they weren't interested at first but will give it a chance after hearing that the game is good, or just out of curiosity to see what all of this is about.

The way people are receiving the game seems to have changed a lot since its reveal, mostly in a positive way, even if no dub and the "censoring outrage" (outrage is probably a little hyperbolic) have discouraged some, the game also got a boost in Japan after the concert event, so overall, I'm more optimistic than I was a few months ago, and I can only see the situation improve.

Edited by Avk

I am semi-tempted to get this game out of morbid curiosity. I hate J-pop, and it only features characters from my least favorite fire emblems (Though there's a couple I like namely Caeda and Tiki, and I don't mind Cain or Chrom being there). That being said because this game makes no sense to me on so many levels I'm curious to see how we even works from a story perspective. And the battle system doesn't look half bad, that said I fear of the J-pop will make me want to just quit the game I really do not like J-pop. I won't lie that is the main turn off factor for this game for me. I'll see where I'm at later on maybe I'll pick it up down the line.

I am semi-tempted to get this game out of morbid curiosity. I hate J-pop, and it only features characters from my least favorite fire emblems (Though there's a couple I like namely Caeda and Tiki, and I don't mind Cain or Chrom being there). That being said because this game makes no sense to me on so many levels I'm curious to see how we even works from a story perspective. And the battle system doesn't look half bad, that said I fear of the J-pop will make me want to just quit the game I really do not like J-pop. I won't lie that is the main turn off factor for this game for me. I'll see where I'm at later on maybe I'll pick it up down the line.

Take a look at the Let's Plays when they come out! It should help you to decide just how bad the J-Pop is.

I'm not a huge fan of Tsubasa/Tiki/Eleanora's songs so far, but it won't stop me from getting the game!

Well, it looks like fans are more positive to it compared to the initial unveil. Look how time can change everything.

To be fair, if the game was terrible, you can be sure that people would still be down on it and probably rightfully so, it just never was and the more exposition the game will get, the more people will realize this.

Also, since it was discussed briefly here, Nintendo apparently decided to showcase more games at E3, including #FE, day 1 of Treehouse Live is still dedicated to Zelda, but day 2 will feature more games like Pokemon Sun & Moon (it was pretty obvious), and #FE among others. Source

Edited by Avk

Like most people, I was originally really disappointed when I first saw the game. It didn't look anything like I expected and it didn't really seem interesting to me at first. But as it got closer to the Japanese launch I looked up some more information on it and started to watch some videos of the combat to see if it would appeal to me. I eventually got quite interested in it and ended up downloading it to my Japanese Wii U and I have enjoyed it a lot.

I also have the special edition pre-ordered now and can't wait to play through it in English.

I planned on getting it no matter what mostly because I've never been that disappointed in an Atlus RPG it didn't look any worse then Dancing all Night did when it was revealed.

Like most people, I was originally really disappointed when I first saw the game. It didn't look anything like I expected and it didn't really seem interesting to me at first. But as it got closer to the Japanese launch I looked up some more information on it and started to watch some videos of the combat to see if it would appeal to me. I eventually got quite interested in it and ended up downloading it to my Japanese Wii U and I have enjoyed it a lot.

I also have the special edition pre-ordered now and can't wait to play through it in English.

Can't blame you for being disappointed when it was re revealed, I personally was intrigued instead of being disappointed (I had no expectation for the SMT x FE project, so I would have welcomed anything). I appreciate that you and other persons (nocturnal YL for example) have taken a little time to share your impressions on the game, I was sold on the game a long time ago but there are many people stilll on the fence about the game, so more feedback will help these people decide if they can enjoy the game or not. As I said before, I'm absolutely expecting reviews and word of mouth to mirror the japanese reception of the game, so I think it'll be more about people trying to evaluate if they can bear with the elements they don't like much (ie the japanese enternainment theme) enough to enjoy the game.

I planned on getting it no matter what mostly because I've never been that disappointed in an Atlus RPG it didn't look any worse then Dancing all Night did when it was revealed.

If you are getting the game mostly for the gameplay part (everything Atlus RPG : dungeons, turn based combat, skill system...), the chances that you end up disappointed are fairly low in my opinion, I don't think I've yet heard a bad thing on this, nor seen one. I've seen a few trailers for P4DAN, and it looks really silly (I mean that in a good way), probably because of the gap between what they did in Persona 4 and what they do in this game, the #FE cast being all new characters makes it easier to accept in my opinion (not talking about the mirages, since they retain their personalities, and do what FE characters do, fighting for their friends).

Edited by Avk

I'll probably pick it up when it gets released, I was intrigued when the first trailer came out (I was honestly just happy the project wasn't dead) and I've just become more hyped as time has passed. I've always liked the SMT and Persona series (never had a chance to try them out sadly) so I'm very excited to try it out.

I'd rather get cancer and die then pick this game up new for $60. I refuse to support this lazy cash grab, especially when it actively insults my intelligence. I'll eventually pick this game up used on Amazon or from somebody's dumpster.

Edited by wraith

It's been on my list for awhile mostly due to fusing two great franchises in an unexpected manner. Plus I've always been into Japanese culture as a whole so this gives me an interesting insight into what the entertainment industry is like.

Originally I wasn't one hundred percent sure if I was going to buy it because it didn't seem all that Fire Emblemish. But since I lack a lot of Wii U games I did preorder it. I also saw that the ratings and reviews were pretty good for the JP release so I'm sure I'll be entertained. However it probably won't be a game I'll play after I beat it, but I have no idea yet. There's been games I thought I'd hate but I ended up loving like Hyrule Warriors so you never know.