Getting rid of the postcount system

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, my idea.

Make post count go down every time you post in FtfF.

This way, if people are being elitist with their post count, they probably are elite.

Just because someone posts a lot outside of FtfF doesn't mean they're elite. It just means they posted more outside than inside. Again, post COUNT means nothing.

Yes, but outside of the forest, you're more likely to contribute to discussions, especially Fire Emblem related ones. If you're contributing negatively, then we have the warn/ban system.

Just seriously leave it how it is, there's no problem, I don't know why people are telling us to defend keeping it when they can't even defend removing it. Auto-elitism? Please tell me you're joking. It's a dumb thing to suggest that when no one does anything like that anymore. Plus it really shows how people are. Either way, is there really any harm in having it? No.

Yes, but outside of the forest, you're more likely to contribute to discussions, especially Fire Emblem related ones. If you're contributing negatively, then we have the warn/ban system.

Not all negative contributions result in a warn/ban. Far from it.

If you post misguided info, you gain a post, but you are by no means contributing. And likewise, I don't see how you're growing any more elite by posting an obvious question.

If you post misguided info, you gain a post, but you are by no means contributing. And likewise, I don't see how you're growing any more elite by posting an obvious question.

I'm going by the assumption that people considered misguided info a positive or at least neutral contribution regardless, and not something done out of malice unless things get out of hand.

My comment about them being elite is from my perspective in me thinking they are more likely elite due to the time spent having solid discussions, not because they themselves think they are elite.

Edited by Chainey

This, essentially. High post count, low post count, it doesn't matter. It tells you nothing about a person. I know people who had 1/10 of some of the highest posters, but were way more intelligent and respected than those people. Topics like, "When did you get your last haircut?" still count for posts, but you don't see me posting in there hoping that someone's going to find me more elite, nor am I going to look for my new BFF4LYF there. And people who have high post counts aren't necessarily a staple to the community either. I've been in several communities where there are high count posters who were still not respected by the rest of the community, and I'm willing to bet money there's at least one person like that here.

I'm not saying take it away OR leave it. I'm just saying you're giving post count too much credit. It won't kill anyone to take it off, and it's not likely to kill anyone to keep it in. But don't act like it's some window to the soul when quite frankly, it's not.

Topics like, "When did you get your last haircut?" still count for posts, but you don't see me posting in there hoping that someone's going to find me more elite, nor am I going to look for my new BFF4LYF there.

I created the topic purely for discussional purposes, I wouldn't expect anyone to post there to be found more elite by others, or to find a BFF4LYF. It was created out of personal interest and curiosity.

Edited by Raven

I created the topic purely for discussional purposes, I wouldn't expect anyone to post there to be found more elite by others, or to find a BFF4LYF. It was created out of personal interest and curiosity.

I wasn't criticizing the decision to make the topic; I was merely using it as an example of how posts that count don't necessarily tell you anything (useful) about the person.

Edited by Crystal Shards

I wasn't criticizing the decision to make the topic; I was merely using it as an example of how posts that count don't necessarily tell you anything (useful) about the person.

Understood. I also agree with you there.

I personally see postcount as a part of any forum. I've never been on a forum which doesn't use some form of post count, or something which is affected by activity and posting.

For example, I sometimes visit the Official Nintendo Magazine UK forum where they use a "kudos" system. It's basically a bar which fills a bit each time you log in, make a post, browse through the forum, etc. and your number of "kudos" rises by one each time the bar is filled, and it takes longer to fill the bar each time. I would just find it strange to have something like this missing off a forum...

I remember there used to be a star system for users at Serenes Forest, where people could basically give a user rating out of five stars on other's profiles. People got offended because they were given low ratings due to their forum behaviour and demeanour, so the star system was abolished... The postcount system doesn't offend anyone in any way possible, so I don't see a reason to get rid of it.

Edited by Raven

On auto-elitism: people don't automatically use post count for elitism because it is there, but what else does anybody use it for? If you want to know how often somebody posts, you are free to quietly use the powers of observation and common sense to look at how often you see them post, which gives you a better idea of that anyway.

If you want to know something like how long they have been there, why would you actually want to know that, since that doesn't really give a valuable indicator of what they have to say, as has been admitted? I would be guessing because the way forums have generally made this a standard statistic that shows up ever time you see the person's name, you have been given and accepted the implication that a thing like that matters, by having indirectly been told it matters every time you go to the forum. It doesn't. It doesn't add anything, and only has the theoretical power of letting somebody be a piece of shit to somebody else here or there. Just because it's a standard in a lot of forums doesn't mean it's good or serves any purpose.

Completely totheside point: don't put this in the kind of terms SWF put people who wanted MK banned vs not banned, proban vs antiban or any emma&julia cuntery like that, because I am nowhere near as emotionally invested and willing to put people down over this argument as people such as they were and are. :)

If I don't have a high post count people don't respect me!

Would it be possible to hide postcounts by default and allow members to unhide it? Or would that be pointless?

Edited by Meteor

Poustcount =/= elitism anyway, why get rid of it?

Besides, another forum I was, like, the top 10 posters there and I haven't used it in over a year now. Dunno how high I'm ranked now, but people thought somewhat highly of me. Yet, someone else was like #2-3 in that category and he got ragged on all the time.

Good saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just leave it as is since no one here (I'm assuming) will ever take advantage of the post count regardless. Anyone with half a brain anyhow.

Honestly, I would think it would have an opposite effect. Seeing how active FFtF is means that users don't care too much for post count. If they did, no one would ever post in FFtF. If you never gained posts in any forum, you basically turn it into FFtF. Sure you can still punish spammers, but they'll feel their spam is justified anyway since they don't gain anything from it.

Anybody get what I'm saying?

I read his and assumed I addressed him, thanks. Direct conversation between points so petty snide bullshit can be bypassed anybody? :)

Edited by Mac

The post count system won't be taken down because nobody is being affected by it, as I've said before. Also, any reasons against having a visible post count seem to be personal issues against individual members who are acting elite... It's just not a valid reason, since the problem would be lying within the person's ego and not the post count system itself.

Where is said "elitism" on this forum, anyway? From what I can see, there is none, and removal of the post count will just piss people off - people who like to know how many posts they have made, regardless of content. People like myself.

There's no point in taking it away. It doesn't look like it's going to be, either.

On auto-elitism: people don't automatically use post count for elitism because it is there, but what else does anybody use it for? If you want to know how often somebody posts, you are free to quietly use the powers of observation and common sense to look at how often you see them post, which gives you a better idea of that anyway.

If you want to know something like how long they have been there, why would you actually want to know that, since that doesn't really give a valuable indicator of what they have to say, as has been admitted? I would be guessing because the way forums have generally made this a standard statistic that shows up ever time you see the person's name, you have been given and accepted the implication that a thing like that matters, by having indirectly been told it matters every time you go to the forum. It doesn't. It doesn't add anything, and only has the theoretical power of letting somebody be a piece of shit to somebody else here or there. Just because it's a standard in a lot of forums doesn't mean it's good or serves any purpose.

Completely totheside point: don't put this in the kind of terms SWF put people who wanted MK banned vs not banned, proban vs antiban or any emma&julia cuntery like that, because I am nowhere near as emotionally invested and willing to put people down over this argument as people such as they were and are. :)

That might apply on other forums, but that stuff doesn't happen here. Which is why I can't fathom to see why there's a need for it. Even if it happens, one post elitist is going to bug you THAT much when we have plenty of trolls and elitists on the site anyway.

Edited by Aozaki Touko

I don't need post count for elitism. I'm better than everyone else because I'm the ninth member. You all fail at life.

You don't need to know exactly how many posts you've made. It's a pretty pointless statistic that serves no function that's been provided that you can't perform without using your own head and common sense. It's nothing but something forums have told you is important in some way when it isn't. Post count may not be actively helping any douchebags here, but it doesn't have the potential to do anything else helpful that stands on its own. It's a pointless forum anachronism. Keeping it just because when it doesn't help anything is being pointlessly obstinate. As for there being other reasons for people being elitist sacks of crap, this is a small one we can deal with easily right now.

I don't see why it should be removed. "Elitism" is completely non-existant on this forum.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

You don't need to not know, either. No matter what is argued, it can be easily reversed, and that counts for both sides of it.

I can't see it being removed, no matter what arguments are put up against it. However pointless it may seem, it is still a slightly interesting figure to look up, however unimportant it actually is. It doesn't offend anyone in any way, so there is no reason to remove it. If it does get removed at any time, I would be really surprised.

As for elitism, I've not run into any examples myself. Maybe some examples could be shown? I'm curious.

Remember the FESS integration bull? Matt and Lyle were terribly shitty about it, and I'd be happy to dredge it up. Yeah, you might say "foul play, it's Matt and Lyle" but it still proves the point that there are people who use it and standard forum anachronisms like it to be dipshits. That's what I'm trying to get at: it can do harm, it has done harm, and "it doesn't do any harm as we speak and I kind of like using it for something that signifies nothing" sounds like a pointlessly obstinate argument. If you won't even consider changing your mind over defending something you borderline agree is worthless, something's up.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

That is not to say here aren't multiple sides being elitist to each other, but hey :party:

Edited by Mac