Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, please correct all the province names to the proper Irish spellings just to troll people.

While you are at it why not change Cuan's name to Quinn and Leaf's to Lief?

If it's the first one, you must also implement a VWF and either use dictionary compression or rom expansion (or both). Is someone here good with SNES ASM? And what programme will you use to implement text?

There's some example code for how to implement a VWF routine pretty much anywhere (65c816) on romhacking dot net, and other places. Enough people kept working on them that a couple people just decided to make a simple generic example code to imitate/utilise. There might be some example routines for the Z80 too.

While you are at it why not change Cuan's name to Quinn and Leaf's to Lief?

I believe Cúan is actually an acceptable Irish given name. Cuinn would be closer spelling to Gaelic-Irish anyway than Quinn, which is English-Irish.

When I said the Irish province names, I didn't mean the entirely reasonable correction of Lenster to Leinster, Alster to Ulster, Conote to Connacht, Manster to Munster, Meese/Mease to Meath, etc.; no, I mean Alster to Ulaidh, Lenster to Laighin, Manster to Mhumhain, and Connacht to... okay, you win this round, England.

EDIT: Also I'm okay with leaving Leaf the way it is because "Leif" is Scandinavian. Then again, it wouldn't be the first example of split-derivation naming (Lachesis, a Greek name, gives her son a Gaelic name and her daughter a Norse one, sure why not).

Edited by Renall

While it would nice to be more accurate, I would prefer if most of the names of locations and characters matched the FE4 translation patch. Since we aren't redoing that one two it would nice it it was consistent so I know what they're talking about. I have no part in this so it doesn't really matter what i want tho.

While it would nice to be more accurate, I would prefer if most of the names of locations and characters matched the FE4 translation patch. Since we aren't redoing that one two it would nice it it was consistent so I know what they're talking about. I have no part in this so it doesn't really matter what i want tho.

Yeah true, using the FE4 names would be for the best since that is what your average person who played a Jugdral game knows.

For names, I would go with:

Leaf

Finn

Othin

Halvan

Evayle

Dagda

Tania

Marty

Ronan

Saphy

Rifis

Machua

Brighton

Lara

Fergus

Karin

Dalshin

Asvel

Nanna

Hicks

Shiva

Carrion

Selphina

Kane

Alba

Robert

Fred

Olwen

Marita

Salem

Pahn

Trude

Tina

Glade

Dean

Eda

Homeros

Linoan

Ralph

Eyrios/Olson

Sleuf

Misha

Sarah

Shanam

Miranda

Xavier

Amalda

Conomore

Delmud

Cyas

Sety

Galzus

Weissmann

Bucks

Lobos

Bandol

Truman

Eisenhower

Rumay

Gomez

Marlock

Tobolza

Largo

Kempf

Oltof

Collo

Rist

Baldack

Paulus

Macloy

Coda

Eigan

Zale

Brook

Moore

Nikolov

Mueller

Rinecock

Palman

Gustav

Wolf

Barrett

Semetol

Flaus

Zoam

Rinehart

Cohen

Alphan

Varden

Corutta

Leidrick

Zwolf

Zwei

Elf

Funf

Eins

Drei

Veld

Hermes (Karin's Pegasus)

Lugh Faris (Leaf's fake name in Ch 7)

Lucia

Romeo

Jebel

Emily

Cliff

Bella

Lena

Bowie

Mafy

Peter

Rosa

Serra

August

Dorias

Hannibal

Corple

Blume

Ishtar

Ishtore

Julius

Manfroy

Trabant

Altenna

Areone

Aida

Alvis

Vampa

Liza

Hilda

Celice

Julia

Levin

Fee

Lachesis

Cuan

Ethlin

Shanan

Claude

Tinny

Ethnia

Patricia

Briggid

Beowulf

Aless

I think that is all the character names that are in Thracia; I scanned the script and may have missed some. I made no radical changes and I hope that nobody will find anything objectionable to this list.

Place names are a different story, though. On one hand, Manster/Alster/Lenster are clearly based on the Irish provinces of Munster/Ulster/Leinster, respectively; but also there's the problem that there's a world map which lists them all as the incorrect (and more familiar) names.

I can see arguments for both translations, and currently I'm leaning towards keeping the current names (Manster etc).

EDIT: I also agree with trying to keep consistent with the FE4 patch names, with perhaps a few exceptions.

Edited by General Banzai

The FE12 patch is done enough, as long as the menus are understandable I don't think anything else is necessary.

Except for the fact that, oh, I don't know, IT ISN'T F***ING TRANSLATED?

Seriously, there isn't even a script translation out there. I don't know how you can decide that an incomplete patch is acceptable.

Edited by Flock of Geese

Each to their own, I guess?

But, anyway, I'm confident the FE12 patch will be finished sooner than later and, in any case, I don't think *think* its progress will somehow affect other patches, like this one.

Can't wait to see progress on the FE5 front my favourite FE, but no rush guys : P

This I feel is a much smaller project than the FE12 translation. I don't intend to make a whole new translation from scratch, but rather merely edit/proofread the existing translation. The hacking aspect should also be smaller, as we're working with a simpler and more heavily-explored system (I think).

The FE12 patch is done enough, as long as the menus are understandable I don't think anything else is necessary.

Huh... I just want to apologize for blowing up at you. I just tried the menu patch, and it's awfully useful, even though the story isn't translated yet. Still, I think it's worth it to translate the whole game.

By the way, it might be a good idea to use the names that are used in the Fire Emblem 4 translation, like Manfloy instead of Manfroy. I think it looks neat if all patches use the same names. I also used FE3's names for the FE1 translation.

Just an idea :)

By the way, it might be a good idea to use the names that are used in the Fire Emblem 4 translation, like Manfloy instead of Manfroy. I think it looks neat if all patches use the same names. I also used FE3's names for the FE1 translation.

Just an idea :)

Of course, some of the FE4 patch translations are just awful, like the aforementioned Manfloy instead of Manfroy. (Does the FE4 patch use Yurius or Julius?)

And that's not even getting into place names yet.

And that's not even getting into place names yet.

This is where it gets really weird. Like how Valhalla is crudely romanized as Barhara on FE4's world map, but it's clearly Valhalla.

This is where it gets really weird. Like how Valhalla is crudely romanized as Barhara on FE4's world map, but it's clearly Valhalla.

How the heck did I not realize this? I thought I would have picked up on it sooner... Then again, "Barhara" is actually a pretty nice sounding name.

I think the translators went with the name on the map or holy blood chart whenever possible, which I think was a bad idea. For instance, is it "Noba" or "Nova?" Also, "Loputousu" is extremely awkward to say. I always end up mentally substituting it for "Loptos." Then there's the Thracia patch, which transliterates it as "Lopto."

I actually figured it out by accident. Took me a while, as well.

For a lot of these, I think it's important to look at the Norse mythology being referenced. For example, Loptous seems to be a reference to Loki, who's also known as Loptr. The romaji in the game doesn't seem to follow this as directly, and nor do most translations I've seen.

Of course, it's also possible that the references weren't meant to be entirely explicit. For example, the spell Thor Hammer uses the katakana トール (tohru) for Thor, an explicit reference, but Tordo seems to be トード (tohdo). This is probably meant to be similar, but not exactly meant to be translated as "Thor". So we have to be careful if we're getting into this stuff.

Edited by Othin

Nit-picking slightly, but Barhara is more of a modified version of Valhalla rather than a crude romanisation. The romaji is Baahara, which means it can only be Varhalla at best.

FE4 also does this with the Balmunk vs Balmung and Jugdral vs Yggdrasil (just missing a "si") and FE2 did it with Rainarok vs Ragnarok.

Nit-picking slightly, but Barhara is more of a modified version of Valhalla rather than a crude romanisation. The romaji is Baahara, which means it can only be Varhalla at best.

FE4 also does this with the Balmunk vs Balmung and Jugdral vs Yggdrasil (just missing a "si") and FE2 did it with Rainarok vs Ragnarok.

This fits with the not-quite-explicit thing. Interesting.

Time for judgment calls?