Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

Update: Everything is currently complete up until part 3.

Except from 1-7 which I'm reworking currently to make it far more interesting. Put it this way -- you deserve a medal if you can manage to get the maximum BEXP... without 'the general' decimating you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Everything is currently complete up until part 3.

Except from 1-7 which I'm reworking currently to make it far more interesting. Put it this way -- you deserve a medal if you can manage to get the maximum BEXP... without 'the general' decimating you.

Chapter 1-7 is the Prison Character right?

Hmm... What would be these changes? :P

I'm guessing something that'll make it harder for the prisoners to survive and escape. I'm thinking something akin to th BK in PoR's Zihark chapter, but coming from that door at the north-west to the map, which IIRC after a few turns opens up to let enemy reinforcements in. It's the same door hwere the prisoners have to escape from, so if there's na OP general among the reinforcements, things might get tricky.

• 2 weeks later...

Some lategame stuff for those intrigued:

TIER 3 INNATE SKILLS

Spoiler

Vanguard - Aether

Trueblade - Astra, +15% CRIT
Halberdier (Aran/Danved/Levail) - Vigilance
Sentinel (Aran/Danved/Levail) - Impale, Vigilance
Halberdier (Nephenee) - +5% CRIT
Sentinel (Nephenee) - +20% CRIT 
Berserker - +25% CRIT
Sniper - Focus
Marksman - Deadeye, Focus

Valkyrie (Mist/Fiona/Astrid) - Sol
Templar (Geoffrey/Oscar) - Vigilance
Champion (Titania/Kieran/Makalov/Renning) - +10% CRIT

Marshall (Gatrie/Tauroneo) - Vigilance
Baron (Brom) - Luna
Guardian (Meg) - +1 MOVE, Canto
Black Knight - Eclipse

Whisper (Sothe) - Bane
Whisper (Heather) - +1 MOVE, Canto
Assassin - Lethality, +15% CRIT

Chaos Incarnate (Micaiah) - Aurora, Corona
Thorbringer (Ilyana) - +1 MOVE, Canto
Empress/Archsage (Sanaki/Tormod) - Flare
Strategist (Soren/Bastian) - Vigilance
Archsage (Pelleas) - +15% CRIT
Archsage (Calill) - Focus
Saint - Corona

Queen - +2 MOVE, Mercy
Seraph Knight - Stun
Dragonlord - Focus

All Laguz masteries are the same.
Laguz royals no longer have their masteries by default except Caineghis.
Only two Satori Signs exist in the game.

All cats (including enemies) now have Canto by default.

DISCIPLES OF ORDER INNATE SKILLS

Spoiler

Swordmaster - +10% CRIT, Pass
Halberdier - Vigilance, Focus  
Warrior - Resolve
Sniper - Focus, Mercy

Axe General - Fortify (Old Night Tide)
Sword General - Fortune
Lance General - Nihil

Free Knight - Nullify
Duke Knight - Imbue
Great Knight - Rally (Old Blood Tide)
Arch Knight - +2 MOVE

Sage - Focus
Mage Knight - Wrath
Strategist - Vigilance
Bishop - Blessing
Druid - Daunt

Falcon Knight - Inspire (Old White Pool)
Dragonmaster - Focus

Focus = +20 HIT & +5 sight in FoW. (Same as Insight)
Vigilance = +20 AVO & +20 Dodge. (Same as old Vigilance)

This is what's currently being tested but is subject to change. Feel free to provide your thoughts. 

For those wondering, Tier 3 classes have been stripped back. As in, the changes made are intended to scale things down a notch to make sure mastery skills or 1HKOing occur less often. By default, the proc chance of skills have gone down a bit overall as well.

Edited by DLuna

Oh my, that is interesting. So Aurora's Yune's ace in the hole, huh. She will kick lots of ass with a nosferatu.

The most notable things are ADHD sugar-rushed Meg and merciful order snipers. The latter is to prevent the massive longbow range from killing your backline units I assume? I also see you didn't like the Ravager class' name. Am I correct in assuming Colossus is out of the game entirely now? I'll miss spinning it right 'round , baby, right 'round.

In any case, I insist Heather's T3 class be renamed to Trickster, specially with her extra move and Canto compared to Sothe.

21 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Oh my, that is interesting. So Aurora's Yune's ace in the hole, huh. She will kick lots of ass with a nosferatu.

The most notable things are ADHD sugar-rushed Meg and merciful order snipers. The latter is to prevent the massive longbow range from killing your backline units I assume? I also see you didn't like the Ravager class' name. Am I correct in assuming Colossus is out of the game entirely now? I'll miss spinning it right 'round , baby, right 'round.

In any case, I insist Heather's T3 class be renamed to Trickster, specially with her extra move and Canto compared to Sothe.

Nosferatu/Resire now scales with STR, so it's less powerful. Micaiah's STR is fairly decent I suppose, but the tome is most suited to Oliver or Tormod.

Order!Snipers have insane STR/SKL/SPD to weaken you down, but cannot kill you. Unless you have Nihil. Then they can kill you~

Berserker felt more fitting considering they are known for their high CRIT. And yes, colossus is gone. But considering Boyd's SKL is so bad, it would hardly proc anyway. And the insane crit bonus makes up for his non-existent natural crit.

And yes, Nolan's crit will be insane considering his already great SKL. But it's made up for his mediocre STR and lower SPD.

Heather's T3 class name could change, sure. Something referring to her magical prowess could also be a possibility. I'm open to the concept of giving her staves as well (in which case she'd be an Awakening Trickster).

Edited by DLuna

Mmmhhh, I don't think she needs staves, she seems to already gain a lot with the +move and specially Canto (can she Canto after stealing?). Trickster or Illusionist would suit her since she'll make great use of cards. You have already put her on equal footing with Volke if you want to choose one of te two to bring to the tower.

You could rename Neph's classes to Spearmaster and Truelance, since her crit gains remind of the sword wielders. This way the player will also suspect from the moment she joins that she'll become way less bulky/heavyhitting and much more skilled than the halberdiers/sentinels.

The only thing I'm not sold on balance-wise is the overabundance of Vigilance and Focus. The first because it's too great skill, specially for earth-affined Oscar (changes to support bonuses nonwithstanding), and the second because it'll trivialize the part 4 FoW map.

Oh, and the bald dragon king still has Ire, rigt?

Edited by Mr. Mister

1 hour ago, Mr. Mister said:

The only thing I'm not sold on balance-wise is the overabundance of Vigilance and Focus. The first because it's too great skill, specially for earth-affined Oscar (changes to support bonuses nonwithstanding), and the second because it'll trivialize the part 4 FoW map.

They're assigned to units/classes that can't really abuse them too well (or simply make up for weaknesses, like in the case of Calill or Aran). Dodge tanking isn't even viable or reliable any more. Enemies have a lot more base HIT, certain weapons have a lot of hit (greatsword/poleax/greatlance) that are fairly common in part 4. Biorhythm as well (-30 AVO at worst). And of course Earth affinity being nerfed. Oh and authority star changes.

CH4-1 will be plenty difficult regardless of vision. There's a lot of flying enemies or high move enemies in general. Feral Laguz will also make an appearance. This means that enemies will often still be outside of your vision.

I forgot to mention that Focus now only increases Vision to 6 at maximum as a cap. Cats have the highest vision at 7. 

And even with all of that said, it's still only Calill (who would rather go beast-hunting with Tibarn's group), Jill/Haar (would rather go to desert map or 4-5 and not the in-door 4-4) and the three marksman (likely one of each will go to each group). As well as Lethe and Lyre. Oh, and Heather (6 vision).

So.. that's on average 3 units; a Marksman, a cat and Heather. Maybe Calill. 

Mmmhhh, I don't think she needs staves, she seems to already gain a lot with the +move and specially Canto (can she Canto after stealing?). Trickster or Illusionist would suit her since she'll make great use of cards. You have already put her on equal footing with Volke if you want to choose one of te two to bring to the tower.

Well obviously, I'd balance her accordingly. That goes without saying. I'd need to test it thoroughly as well.

That said, if I gave her staves I'd go all out on it. So would likely nerf other things and may even let her cap out at S (so one of only 7 units who can Fortify). That would mean you'd bring her as a dedicated healer (rather than someone like Mist/Elincia/Astrid) if you're also bringing Volke. That would be viable.

Oh, and the bald dragon king still has Ire, rigt?

Sure.

our ago, Mr. Mister said:

You could rename Neph's classes to Spearmaster and Truelance, since her crit gains remind of the sword wielders. This way the player will also suspect from the moment she joins that she'll become way less bulky/heavyhitting and much more skilled than the halberdiers/sentinels.

Probably Lancer or Holy Lancer, as they were named in the PAL/JP versions of the game. Leaning on the latter since the former is a kinda basic.

Edited by DLuna

Mmm, I'm conflicted. If giving her staves would mean you'd balance her as someone who'd be brought into endgame as a dedicated healer, then I think it's best if Heather sticks to knives and cards - specially since I'm excited for her using crads (and dragon fang) more commonly that knives, as if they were her signature weapon type.  But giving her staves would facilitate bringing the full rogue trio into endgame, which is also nice for those that wanna do that.

Personally I think I'll side with no staves for now.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Mmm, I'm conflicted. If giving her staves would mean you'd balance her as someone who'd be brought into endgame as a dedicated healer, then I think it's best if Heather sticks to knives and cards - specially since I'm excited for her using crads (and dragon fang) more commonly that knives, as if they were her signature weapon type.  But giving her staves would facilitate bringing the full rogue trio into endgame, which is also nice for those that wanna do that.

Personally I think I'll side with no staves for now.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Gambit!Heather is a more unique identity so I'd likely stick with that.

Might retract my previous thoughts over going 'all out' on it. An off-healer might be an option.

It depends on how the healing meta works out in the end; and how many staff users in part 4 is best for the game. Barring in mind that Micaiah is a top-tier combat unit now, so she doesn't really want to be relegated to healing. Saints and Mist are the only SS staff users, so one of those is almost mandatory. Then you have Elincia/Sigrun/Pelleas/Astrid as tier 2 healers (Recover/Physic/Fortify/Status) access. Then everyone else able to use staves are capped at C rank as off-healers (Mend is the best thing they can use). Micaiah is kinda between by capping at B. So she can Physic but not use status staves or Fortify.

Having an extra tier 2 healer might not be bad. It really depends how good variety is. If it ends up so that two tier-2 healers are needed, then Heather might become one for variety's sake. 

If you wanna go for it, being childhood friends and all, Mist might have shown Rolf how she handles a staff.

Heh.

But seriously, I don't think we need more high-order staff users currently. You can give Nasir Blessing if you want though.

EDIT: I just noticed now that Silence and Sleep are listed at rank S in the OP's table, while their El versions are rank A. Is that a mistake, or has the senate's research also made them usable by freshly raised Order Bishops?

Incidentally, can you give effects (lifesteal, poison, brave, silence, paralyse) to magic cards?

Edited by Mr. Mister

3 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

EDIT: I just noticed now that Silence and Sleep are listed at rank S in the OP's table, while their El versions are rank A. Is that a mistake, or has the senate's research also made them usable by freshly raised Order Bishops?

Incidentally, can you give effects (lifesteal, poison, brave, silence, paralyse) to magic cards?

El versions are much lower ranged (fixed 1-3) and have lower accuracy to boot. So they are simply worse versions and are no longer tied to the Senate.

They exist to give status staves a lot more counterplay and to also allow me to make status staves more common for the player without making them too powerful.

In retrospect their names should be switched, to make the 'superior' staves named appropriate.

As for cards, it may be possible. Not something I've personally looked into. 

10 hours ago, Elite Lord Sigma said:

Do Janaff and Ulki still have Focus/Insight and Vigilance as personal skills, do they have something different, or nothing at all? Same question for the old dragon buff skills. Also, is Mercy still removable from Elincia like it is in the vanilla game?

They still have the same skills, yes. Dragons are the same too -- but are just named differently. 

Mercy is still removable.

Edited by DLuna

11 hours ago, Sweet_Basil said:

Does Fiona still join in 1-7 or did you make her recruitable in 1-6-2?

Still joins in 1-7, not in 1-6-2. But she is now deployable in 1-8.

Regardless, Fiona's a really good utility unit at 10/1. Staff usage, insane move, self sustain and water affinity (+3 DEF/RES to her supporting partner at A). However, if you do want to make her a solid combat unit, then deploying her in 1-7 & 1-8 to gain EXP is more than enough.

She also joins with the Runic Hasta, a magic based lance that allows her to deal a decent amount of damage at base (as well as having [Aura] reducing some damage she will take). So isn't that difficult to kill with her. And for all intents and purposes it may as well be her prf weapon since Aran/Tauroneo can't do that much damage with it. So it's not like you can just pass it away. Meg can make good use of it though after promotion, but she needs two arm scrolls to immediately use it. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Will the player be able to get a Rewarp staff?

And will Seph join with the Creiddylad?

Yes. May be limited to SS rank though.

'Creiddylad' is now 'Dawnlight' (or 'Radiance'; which I like as well since it metaphorically gives further meaning/context to the title of FE9) and it's essentially Micaiah's Ragnell for part 4 (Naesala presents it to her in 4-3, since he has a suspicion of her origins/heritage). Sephiran can use it and fights with one still. It's a decent nod to their relation and ability to wield tomes created through seid magic (by the Herons). At least, that's now the in-game explanation as why only them two can use it. Thani is also a tome created in the same matter-- because it's written in their language.

EDIT: On the subject of availability, I don't think I've mentioned that Lethe, Lyre, Kyza and Mordecai now all join in 3-1 (the latter two appearing as reinforcements a few turns in). This gives them a whole three maps of extra availability (and before Ranulf joins), which seems much more fair on them-- and lets you use them for longer (and lets you build supports for them efficiently).

Units deployment slots are going up as well for most maps. Extra ~3 units per map after 3-2 (main exception is 3-F where you have up to 35 playable units; basically all of them). Part 4 now no longer reduces units slots for Normal/Hard. And Endgame is now 20 units on 4-F-1 but only 15 units after that. This makes it so your pool of units can be switched up between each map, and gives credibility to units who may be good on 1 or 2 maps but not the rest. It also means you can have up to 5 units dying (7 if you include Gareth/Nasir) and still have a full team for the final map. 

Edited by DLuna

Cool, though if you can manage to make it be the BK who gives Radiance to her when he appears in 4-3 (say, by editing the event of her Talk with him), that'd be even cooler and make more sense.

That'd actually give his appeareance there some kind of purpose.

Edited by Mr. Mister

A magic based weapon for Miss Fiona? Nice! I always did like her but it kind of sucks she had to end up as one of the worst characters. Only because the fanbase, in general, detests these characters so we can't openly admire them without someone else reminding you how terrible they are lol.

14 hours ago, DLuna said:

Still joins in 1-7, not in 1-6-2. But she is now deployable in 1-8.

Regardless, Fiona's a really good utility unit at 10/1. Staff usage, insane move, self sustain and water affinity (+3 DEF/RES to her supporting partner at A). However, if you do want to make her a solid combat unit, then deploying her in 1-7 & 1-8 to gain EXP is more than enough.

She also joins with the Runic Hasta, a magic based lance that allows her to deal a decent amount of damage at base (as well as having [Aura] reducing some damage she will take). So isn't that difficult to kill with her. And for all intents and purposes it may as well be her prf weapon since Aran/Tauroneo can't do that much damage with it. So it's not like you can just pass it away. Meg can make good use of it though after promotion, but she needs two arm scrolls to immediately use it. 

Yes. May be limited to SS rank though.

'Creiddylad' is now 'Dawnlight' (or 'Radiance'; which I like as well since it metaphorically gives further meaning/context to the title of FE9) and it's essentially Micaiah's Ragnell for part 4 (Naesala presents it to her in 4-3, since he has a suspicion of her origins/heritage). Sephiran can use it and fights with one still. It's a decent nod to their relation and ability to wield tomes created through seid magic (by the Herons). At least, that's now the in-game explanation as why only them two can use it. Thani is also a tome created in the same matter-- because it's written in their language.

EDIT: On the subject of availability, I don't think I've mentioned that Lethe, Lyre, Kyza and Mordecai now all join in 3-1 (the latter two appearing as reinforcements a few turns in). This gives them a whole three maps of extra availability (and before Ranulf joins), which seems much more fair on them-- and lets you use them for longer (and lets you build supports for them efficiently).

Units deployment slots are going up as well for most maps. Extra ~3 units per map after 3-2 (main exception is 3-F where you have up to 35 playable units; basically all of them). Part 4 now no longer reduces units slots for Normal/Hard. And Endgame is now 20 units on 4-F-1 but only 15 units after that. This makes it so your pool of units can be switched up between each map, and gives credibility to units who may be good on 1 or 2 maps but not the rest. It also means you can have up to 5 units dying (7 if you include Gareth/Nasir) and still have a full team for the final map. 

Fiona has a weapon designed for her magic stat? Interesting, I like the idea.

___

My goodness! Micaiah now actually has a legendary weapon :D (The stats appears in the Original Post?)

On 1/30/2017 at 10:55 PM, Sweet_Basil said:

A magic based weapon for Miss Fiona? Nice! I always did like her but it kind of sucks she had to end up as one of the worst characters. Only because the fanbase, in general, detests these characters so we can't openly admire them without someone else reminding you how terrible they are lol.

I really like Fiona's backstory. She has a lot of potential as a character, it's too bad she really doesn't get much screen time either. 

Speaking of things, DLuna, have you ever considered giving some people extra levels when they go off screen so they don't have to be dumped a mountain of BEXP when they come back? Mainly for people like Lucia who appear in Part 2 for a couple of chapters and then leave? 

27 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I really like Fiona's backstory. She has a lot of potential as a character, it's too bad she really doesn't get much screen time either. 

Speaking of things, DLuna, have you ever considered giving some people extra levels when they go off screen so they don't have to be dumped a mountain of BEXP when they come back? Mainly for people like Lucia who appear in Part 2 for a couple of chapters and then leave? 

Well the one's affected by this are:

Geoffrey: Will easily be promoted by 4-5 if you set out to use him (including in 3-10) and is comparable to a LV6-8 tier 3 Oscar. Then has better growths overall from there. Free Paragon means that you can combine with Blossom on 4-5 as well. Easy tweaks to buff him further would be to lower his base level and raise Tier 2 caps.

Lucia: Similar to Geoffrey. But an instant promote (with a few levels of BEXP) is enough to make her solid. Worth mentioning that promo gains can be tweaked as well to give these a better power spike -- it just means that Oscar/Mia would need to changed as well to accommodate.

Tormod: Entirely balanced through promotion gains. He essentially has a second set of base stats as a result. So just promote him at 10-12.

Vika/Muarim/Nailah: BEXPing to level 20 is actually really cheap now based on Laguz EXP tweaks. At that point they have okay bases when they return with crazy growths. They also have excellent Laguz gauges as well and Vika/Nailah gain WEXP super fast (both easily reach S in part 1, then SS before endgame). Tigers have high WEXP gains due to not being able to double on average, but Muarim can in part 1 so S is easy for him too.

Keep in mind, that someone like Vika still has 335% growths (they're just spread better than most Laguz; with her having lower HP/LCK) so BEXP doesn't even hamper her and she'll cap certain stats really fast.

Basically, if you want to use one of these units, you can. And they all have good payoff with not too much effort. Unlike the original game where it's too much effort for very little. And there are ways to buff further if need be.

Speaking of Laguz, I'm currently making a change to them so that they lose less stats when untransformed. Their SPD and SKL will now work like HP and LCK. Meaning that their EVO/AS won't be crippled and they can still proc defensive skills more reliably.

Edited by DLuna

This sounds interesting. I actually found this because I was hoping someone would make a hack to add back the extended hard-mode epilogue that was cut from the non-Japanese releases. I've seen very little hack work done on ISOs, so if you have the capability to do so, I was hoping you might give this a look (or share one that someone has done already?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  I just made an account partly because I'm interested in playing this hack.  While I'm not well-versed in the series or its math (RD is the only one I've played) the work you've done on this looks promising!

I'd just like to ask something:  What's the rationale behind keeping the gauges of Tiger Laguz the same in function as vanilla, given the overhaul to other laguz?  They honestly seem a bit nerfed in gauge compared to vanilla, as many gain a good deal less in battle while untransformed and the only buff in this regard is to Mordecai's gauge per turn.  Reductions are almost exactly like vanilla too; Muarim only loses 1 less per turn and the only one with a significant change is Kyza, losing much less per battle but a bit more per turn almost to compensate.

Let me say again that I don't claim to be particularly learned in the math of this game.  However, given the overhaul to the rest of the game the relative lack of change to the Tigers (which as far as I'm aware are the most mediocre player Laguz) was somewhat odd to me.