BattleEmblem: An online PvP Fire Emblem Fates simulator (play on your browser)

vee

TL;DR: Online Fire Emblem PvP Simulator with full army customization in ALPHA TESTING STAGE. Join the Discord channel to be an Alpha tester or developer: https://discord.gg/pneucJj

Note to the mods: This is my first post and I wasn't sure if this should be in the "Concepts" forum. For clarification, this game/simulation is ready for play and open to alpha testers who apply via the Discord. The reason why I am not releasing the URL here is because I am load testing in alpha stage and do not want to crash my server with a lot of people coming all at once. Feel free to move or delete this post if you think it is inappropriate.

Preface

I reached out to /u/brick123wall456 on reddit (who wrote an awesome Matlab Fire Emblem engine from scratch) for some help with writing the battle code and I wouldn’t have been able to get BattleEmblem up to this stage without them, so thanks!!

What is BattleEmblem?

The motivation behind this simulator is that Fire Emblem Fates has a terrible PvP engine. 5v5 games with no restrictions on skills or items result in one turn wins before the second player even has a chance to do anything. Additionally, users who put in the most grinding effort (on statues and on levels) win just by having higher stats. I think all of this takes away the strategic thinking part of Fire Emblem, and also takes away creative team building.

Introducing BattleEmblem. I took inspiration from Pokemon Showdown!, a competitive Pokemon battling simulator. BattleEmblem allows you to create an army of your favorite Fire Emblem Fates characters and use them to battle it out in 16v16 battles against other players.

The first problem I wanted to solve is balancing the characters, so all characters are given max stats for their class by default (i.e. every character is level 99 and best growths are assumed), and assuming no statues exist. All items use their base stats (no forge upgrades). All the possible supports each character can have are maxed out (but obviously each character can only have 1 S support and 1 A+ support). All skills must be able to be legally obtained through a playthrough of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (I took a few liberties with some characters who get the short end of the stick in Revelation). This means skills cannot be bought. Skills can only be obtained if they are available to the character through their classes, or their spouse’s/parent’s/best friend’s class. You will need to choose a character’s relations wisely for this reason. No Einherjar / capture units are allowed.

The second problem I wanted to solve was making the game longer than a 1 turn victory every time. I think there are many ways to do this, and I’ve chosen a few to start. Firstly, you can’t have more than one of the same character. Secondly I increased player count from 5 to 16 (12 for alpha release). This is an arbitrary number that I’m happy to change after watching a few games play out. Thirdly, I will enable the concept of bans and rules for teams. For the alpha release, only up to 2 characters can have the same class in a team. You can’t have a team of 16 Kinshi Knights or 16 ninjas. In the future we can balance the metagame by outright banning skills or items that are too overpowered, nerfing and more. Hopefully as a community we can find creative ways to make the game balanced and fun.

Finally I wanted this game to be easily accessible to everyone, which is why it’s launched on the web. Most people have web browsers.

Screenshots

We are preparing for alpha release, which means that the UI looks a bit janky, but the core functionality is there. Here is an album showing some of the features. Currently the only actions you can do in the game are Move, Attack or Wait (no items, skills or pair ups implemented yet).

Screenshot album: http://imgur.com/a/oYTVk

Video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferz8h_Tz8U

Get involved

If I have got you interested in BattleEmblem, join the Discord server here: https://discord.gg/pneucJj for all future discussion. Inside the Discord channel is a link to a form to apply to be an Alpha tester. I would love for as many people to apply, so don’t hesitate, even if you have no experience so far playing the in-game PvP! Please note: I will be communicating only via Discord so you should check back regularly or get the app installed to get push notifications.

Additionally, if you are a software developer, coder, graphic designer, or even just someone with some free time to help me figure out how much movement does it take for a sniper to move through water (or random things like that) we would love any help we can get to quicken the development to an official release. Join the Discord server and contact me (@vee).

/u/brick123wall456 and I both look forward to meeting some people keen to play or develop with us!

Edited by vee

Not for me, but I know several people who would really get some use out of this. I do want to say, though, that I think players should have the ability to decide whether to account for statue bonuses, basically distribute +50 to stats as they please (up to the normal limit for each stat) because a lot of people like to make builds that rely on those bonuses--but of course, as an option, people who don't want to do that kind of stat game can easily choose to play with normal caps.

(EDIT: arguably the same thing could be said for bought skills, to make them something players facing each other decide if they should be allowed to use, just for those players who teambuild that way. I like the way you can design in rules like you do, but some of the people that would really like this if it allowed more flexible builds will be a bit less happy with restrictions on skills like that (maybe a similar deal with roster size? I'm probably going overboard with this but I do think options like that should be at least pretty well-considered some time before release)

Edited by 47948201

Not for me, but I know several people who would really get some use out of this. I do want to say, though, that I think players should have the ability to decide whether to account for statue bonuses, basically distribute +50 to stats as they please (up to the normal limit for each stat) because a lot of people like to make builds that rely on those bonuses--but of course, as an option, people who don't want to do that kind of stat game can easily choose to play with normal caps.

(EDIT: arguably the same thing could be said for bought skills, to make them something players facing each other decide if they should be allowed to use, just for those players who teambuild that way. I like the way you can design in rules like you do, but some of the people that would really like this if it allowed more flexible builds will be a bit less happy with restrictions on skills like that (maybe a similar deal with roster size? I'm probably going overboard with this but I do think options like that should be at least pretty well-considered some time before release)

Thanks for your reply! I would like to at first make it a level playing field so that any random person could enjoy a battle with any other random person where both parties are aware of how the game is balanced. In the future I would love to enable customization if you want to host your own tournaments or play your own way with friends.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...