Ragefest 3: Douchey Today, Relieved Tomorrow

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, because the toolkit ALREADY DID it for you. Hmm... I WONDER what you would have had to do if it wasn't already done for you?

This, is built into RMXP, not FEXP. It's as simple as setting an actors HP temporarily to infinite. And even if it wasn't built in... it'd still take maybe 6 lines of code to add it in. And if it wasn't possible to add in, there are other workarounds, such as simply negating all damage for a turn, setting defense to infinite, etc.

I took your comment like that saying "You all should just give up and go to FEXP" without actually realizing the work it does FOR you is the same as what Cam did.

if only FEXP was faster it'd be perfect if it had more stuff in it, like the branched promotions and etc, and moved at the speed of romhacking, yes I do think it would be superior. The more features that are added to it though, the slower it would go, which rather sucks.

I apologize for that... but seriously, appreciate the ease FEXP gives you a bit more.

/IthinkIdoalready

The way you were posting, you were fanboying about it and made me take it as "I'm waving it in your face. The work you do is stupid and inefficient."

Not stupid. Nothing is stupid if you put effort into it. But, it is easier, therefore romhacking is less efficient.

AND like Trent also said... "Geez. Talk about taking things personally."

No idea what'cha talkin bout.

IMO

FEXP = Power

Romhacking = Speed

Which is more important is relevant to taste. And since I desire power so I can be more creative easily, I prefer FEXP.

'Nuff said.

FEXP is pretty easy to program with, and if I could master the basics, most things ASM could do, FEXP could do with half or even a quarter of the hastle, possibly less. And, because I'm lazy, in my book easier = better, even if ASM might be more powerful or something xP

If I was so inclined, I could open up this half-finished engine I have written in java, finish that up, and then make a working game that is basically FEXP without all of the silly things Yeti did to get it to work on RMXP. I don't do that, because A) coding in java is tedious and B) I don't need to. FEXP is limited by the limitations of Ruby as a language (there aren't that many but they are there) and the fact that it's bootstrapped to RMXP.

While I'm all for upgrading to a higher-leveled language, there are times when using assembly code is easier (read: ROMhacking) and faster. ASM is much more powerful than Ruby simply because you have the power to do things that other languages don't allow you to out of safety or summat.

Not to mention that you don't even know what my invincibility flag thing does. It's not as easy as setting "this dude = invincible" in FEXP, since that's not what I was intending to do. Rather, you'd have to go into the invincibility scripts and modify it so that only units with a certain flag will be able to harm said person. Admittedly I could probably do that in roughly ten minutes instead of a month

EDIT: okay it took five minutes

k3Eb.png

EDIT2:

if you want those features in FEXP go do it yourself. this isn't like ROMhacking where you have to ASM up new features, just use Ruby

Edited by Camtech

If I was so inclined, I could open up this half-finished engine I have written in java, finish that up, and then make a working game that is basically FEXP without all of the silly things Yeti did to get it to work on RMXP.

Tell me about it. For example, the way actors are setup in the database and how Yeti had to make workarounds (Like how maxSP = growths, affinities, and gender) or any other ridiculously complicated workarounds he had to invent, lord praise his soul. Honestly, a raw container like C# probably is the best solution for all of his problems so I'm glad he went that way. Personally, I've had a goal for over 5 years now, since I was about 15, to make a full-on starter kit for it at some point, probably after college. I've had a lot of setbacks, and I was glad to see someone like Yeti take it up, as I found out I had ADHD, ADD, and Dyslexia, which is why I've always had a very hard time learning new things on my own.

Wait why am I ranting, this is totally taking Ragefest offtopic :X /justrealized

Edit: Uhh to get this back on topic, here is a video I made for my ragefest submission. This is just for lulz.

I do not know what I am doing.

Edited by Klokinator

• 2 weeks later...

Ragefest 3 has begun. (By the way the deadline is the 24th and may still be extended)

What is this...I don't even...BWUH!?!?!?!? I wasn't even playing and I felt trolled. Hats off to Felover for his trolling abilities. Seriously.

it involves my newfound control over the game engine

Hopefully it's actually entertaining for other people, and not just flaunting of your capabilities. You haven't a clue how many people mistake showing off as equating to something awesome or in this case douchey

Hopefully it's actually entertaining for other people, and not just flaunting of your capabilities. You haven't a clue how many people mistake showing off as equating to something awesome or in this case douchey

of course it's just a flaunting of my capabilities

how else to be douchey?

i mean i guess i could fill the entire thing with comments like this but that's no fun either

Edited by Camtech

he actually missed like three secrets but i don't want to subject myself to revealing them properly (i'd memory hack but i also lost the rom)

Speaking of which, I think now is an appropriate time to mention this as any, but I want to make a "Ragefest Package" that consists of all entries from the first contest (Possibly including Hithere1's submission). I'll also do this for the second ragefest and third if I can manage it.

The biggest problem is that I need all the patches.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Speaking of which, I think now is an appropriate time to mention this as any, but I want to make a "Ragefest Package" that consists of all entries from the first contest (Possibly including Hithere1's submission). I'll also do this for the second ragefest and third if I can manage it.

The biggest problem is that I need all the patches.

Really? You want my old Ragefest 1 entry? I was actually planning on remaking it, so I could enter it as an entry for like Ragefest 4 or 5, or possibly make it something like a "Ragefest Extra," or something of the sort. IDK, if it would be cheap to make it as another entry, then it could just be something for the viewer's pleasure. Though if I were to remake it, it would have a whole new map, some dialogue, possibly new characters, maybe some nice trap ideas, and stuff like that. I was also thinking that maybe the remake of it could replace my Ragefest 3 entry currently if it's too shoddy and gets disqualified. But you know, whatever works.

If you truly want my old Ragefest 1 entry for the Ragefest Package, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8kn5qm7pj3bfo01

I could easily remake mine, I guess (and throw in a little something that forces the Archibald crit instead of just having my troll powers do it this time :B): ).

You don't need to remake it. I'm kinda hoping that someone out there still has your submission... or did you not distribute it?

@Video: I lol'd at Sophia's Face and when the Game over screen popped up but instead of the game over text, you see Damas's Glitched sprite...XD.gif