Rate the Unit, Day 45: Hugh

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0800 and 0900 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

WENDY!: 0.19

Sophia: 0.45

Bors: 1.14

Cath: 1.48

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Fa: 3.02

Dorothy: 3.17

Garret: 3.36

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Geese: 3.70

Ray: 4.04

Treck: 4.66

Oujay: 4.80

Fir: 5.08

Lot: 5.40

Gonzales: 5.45

Cecilia: 5.61

Sue: 5.64

Igrene: 5.73

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Bartre: 6.00

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Klein: 6.53

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Echidna: 7.27

Shin: 7.42

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Tate: 7.89

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Lalam: 8.78

Elphin: 9.00

Percival: 9.60

Rutger: 9.61

Miredy: 9.88

no witty bullshit today i am way too fucking tired for that

10k G is expensive considering his join time and meh growths. 45% speed is respectable, but 30% magic? Nah.

I suppose he could auto-promote for better results, but that's just super expensive.

Edit: But he does have the Member Card, so it's worth getting him for 5k G if you plan on secret shop visiting later on. I'd never pay full whack for him, though.

20%.

Edited by Raven

If you have alot of cash, and want another anima user.

He's good at max price.

He's also slightly more durable than the other 2 Mages.

err, alright bases and growths, and comes with member card.....

He's Canas's son and that's +1 bias there.

so, 4.5/10

Hey look, it's that back up mage! If Lugh's turned out badly, he's not a bad replacement. However, he costs money and his stats aren't amazing, especially if you're not willing to pay the full 10k. Still, he's a decent level and has the option of promoting.

4/10

I like Hugh. He's one of the few non shota/loli/old man mages.

I won't hold the fact that he charges money against him since I don't penalise people for their recruitment.

Anyway Hugh is neither a good unit, nor a bad unit. His bases are average and so are most of his growths. He would love an early promtotion and 17 mag and 13 speed isn't all that bad. A lot of mages would kill for that 12 defense too.

He gets a 5 from me +1 bias point, but perhaps i'm being too soft on him.

6/10

Oh brother.

For starters, he puts your funds rank at risk for recruitment. But the good news is that his base stats are better than any other Mag user to make up for it. (Only if the full 10k is paid of course) Honestly, if u want only the Member Card and not him, you should kill him. As it isn't worth giving up 5k just to get the card when u can just steal it from him and kill him to get the card for free. Sucks that he doesn't get any HM bonuses though to make paying him more worthwhile. I'll let others explain more about him. Since I usually just steal the card and kill him.

4/10

Edited by リンダ

Ah, if only he got HM bonuses. Still, assuming you pay 10k (it would be dumb to assume you're intentionally getting a worse Hugh), he's alright as filler. Okay stats, not fantastic growths, but he does his thing and is at least somewhat competent at it. If Lugh was an utter disaster and you couldn't get anything out of Lilina, Hugh is your last best hope for a Sage. Unfortunately he's certainly no Pent/Saleh, and those guys didn't charge you 10k to get them. But if you really really need an Anima user, who else are you gonna whip out? Cecilia? ...Well maybe.

Supports are bad and almost certainly not happening, other than with his granny; admittedly, he's probably Niime's best, but Niime isn't really gonna be around for her rockin' support bonuses anyway so it isn't that important (plus she's the important one in the support anyway).

4/10

He is pretty expensive for what he brings. His stats aren't anything great but they aren't bad either. He joins a little late IMO. He is probably better than the two others.

5/10

10k G is expensive considering his join time and meh growths. 45% speed is respectable, but 30% magic? Nah.

Yeah, his magic just isn't as good as Lugh's. Kind of sad really.

I suppose he could auto-promote for better results, but that's just super expensive.

It's expensive to promote every character in this game...

Hugh comes with the member card, but his recruitment cost is expensive. He has some good joining stats if you pay full price, and his growths are decent (30% MAG growth could be a problem, though). Better than Lilina, and equal if not better than Lugh.

4/10, +.5 bias since he's Canas's son and he has funny supports. 4.5/10

How does paying to change his base stats work anyway? Is Hugh just so lazy that he won't even bother to try for less than 10k? Is he normally shit, but getting a ton of money inspires him to really do his best?

EDIT: Also how does he have less HP if he's paid less? Does he suddenly become less healthy? Does he have a mild allergic reaction to not having fat stacks of cash? Where does his money go once he's been paid? Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by Renall

I really like they guy as a character, but his bases are just mediocre at best and he costs 2 boots worth of money to even get workableish bases. Level 15 is nice, since he can promote at base without having to be trained, but Guiding Ring comp, etc. Still, since he requires no exp to start staffspamming, even if it's just heals, he can't be that useless. 3.5/10 + 1 bias for being a pretty cool guy.

4.5/10

Edited by Luminescent Blade

How does paying to change his base stats work anyway? Is Hugh just so lazy that he won't even bother to try for less than 10k? Is he normally shit, but getting a ton of money inspires him to really do his best?

EDIT: Also how does he have less HP if he's paid less? Does he suddenly become less healthy? Does he have a mild allergic reaction to not having fat stacks of cash? Where does his money go once he's been paid? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm guessing the laziness thing. As for health, maybe he just says he died and runs away because you didn't pay him enough.

I'm not a fan of Hugh, honestly. Not him as a character, him as a unit. You have to pay a huge 10000G to get his best bases, which are merely average. I will give him credit for being fairly balanced; he has 9 base DEF, and even though that's still fairly low, it's quite good for a mage. He has a 45% SPD growth to support his base of 12, so he should end up fairly fast, but his 30% growths in MAG and SKL aren't doing him favors, as he has average bases of 13 and 11 in them as well.

He hits RES, which still has some merit even as we approach Ilia/Sacae. He comes with a C rank in anima, which hurts as it would help him a fair bit to immediately be able to use Aircalibur and crush wyverns under his thumb. He has a somewhat quick support with Niime (it's +1, so they have to spend 40 turns next to each other to get to C; "somewhat" is an overstatement), which I guess helps him a bit. Also, he does deserve a tiny bit of credit for having Con high enough to wield every anima tome, except Bolting, without AS loss.

I would suppose he's decent as a whole. He can promote immediately if you have a Ring handy, and promo gains do help his, I'll say for the third time, average bases. Just don't expect him to excel in anything, except maybe SPD, if you use him. But even though we're assuming use of him, I just have to note; 10k for an average mage. LOL. Maybe if he had HM bonuses (and/or came pre-promoted?) he would be more worthwhile...

5/10

Edited by Cosmic_Harold

He's okay but joining kinda late and requires gold T_T and paying less for him is just pointless, it's rather all or nothing -situation, recruit him by paying the full amount of gold or kill him.

4/10, +1 bias since he's just so lovable~

5/10 it is.

Edited by Serene Flight

Money is not really a problem in this game, but the money you give to make Hugh not horrible is money that could make a lot of other people very good. With 10k and an instant promotion, Hugh is neither fast enough, nor strong enough, nor durable enough to be worth the trouble. He's captain below average with E staves.

EDIT: I originally said 10000k like a moron.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

It's interesting to note that base Hugh is a better than an average 15/0 Lugh or Lilina. Even recruiting Hugh at a reduced price gives you a character that is at least comparable. Unfortunately, Hugh ends up being one of those "might have been good if only he joined X amount of chapters earlier" characters.

3/10

Where is dondon's -1/10 costs two boots!?!

Hugh. Uh, well he looks kind of intere-

Oh fuck he costs 10,000 Gold...

...But let's not take recruitment cost into account (though it's kind of hard). His base stats aren't "terrible". 13 Mag and 12 Spd aren't the worst of bases on earth. Then he has... C Tomes.

4rrygk.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't even have the capability of using fucking Aircalibur.

So that makes him questionable of use, primarily because he'll be lucky to hit A Rank of tomes, let alone S Rank without some major babying. That means no Bolting and no Forblaze. Don't even get me started on E Staves. His promotion gains are kind of weak too - +4 Mag is cool I guess, but +1 Spd sucks. His durability isn't that hot either, especially in Sacae where he's likely to be trampled by getting doubled. The good news is promoting Hugh gets him B Tomes... so at least we finally get Aircalibur. Yay.

He seems like a character that should've joined a little earlier (maybe around Miledy's jointime for starters?) and not gouge me of 10,000 Gold (note I'm not taking this out in the rating). But seriously, what the flying fuck!?!). His base stats are eh, his growths are pretty mediocre (45% Spd, 30% Mag), his weapon rank is a fucking joke, and all of this for a glorified Membership Card holder!?!

rjo9d2.jpg

So his performance is "okay" overall with Aircalibur helping on flying enemies. Aside from that... good fucking lord. I like the guy I guess, but seriously he can shove a crayon up his cranium and I wouldn't care a bit. I'm sorry if you don't like the memes, but this guy is a fucking troll of a unit.

1.5/10. That might even be too generous.

Edited by Colonel M

Unlike Lugh/Lilina, I think he's hot. Screw staves; Hugh's job is to blow things up. He's definitely not doing Lilina-esque damage off the bat, but let's see her (or Lugh) take a lance to the face.

5.5/10 (bias included)

He is pretty expensive for what he brings. His stats aren't anything great but they aren't bad either. He joins a little late IMO. He is probably better than the two others.

5/10

this but bias. 6/10