Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're at it, how about we fix the goddamn weapon names? Any patch with weapon names like "Silver" and "Lightnin" is absolute shit that should never purport itself to be a translation. We either need a way to get the names to fit or a better way of abbreviating them.

While we're at it, how about we fix the goddamn weapon names? Any patch with weapon names like "Silver" and "Lightnin" is absolute shit that should never purport itself to be a translation. We either need a way to get the names to fit or a better way of abbreviating them.

Slv Sword?

Irn Sword?

Stl Sword?

And just have their descriptions fill you in on the names proper? or "A sword made out of Iron" For the Light Sword etc. we can abbreviate it the other way Light Swd, Fire Swd. And with the XL weapons we should just call them the Blades. I agree with you that it's really freaking dumb

Or judging from one of the screens I posted, smaller text should be possible, so it would be entirely possible to fit the weapons proper name in. Then again I'm a rookie hacker at the best of times, so I don't know what is or is not possible

Stl and Slvr were used in FE10; I think they're reasonable enough abbreviations, and they're clear enough. Hopefully we can get the ten characters necessary to use Iron and Slvr instead of Irn and Svr. I've seen "Lightnin" used in some translations, which indicates a limit of eight characters, which is a bit low; hopefully we can use text small enough to get up to at least ten. Although for that particular spell I'm sure we could get away with just changing it to "Light" if necessary.

And yeah, "Swd" and "Lnc" should be workable for when we don't have better options. I mean, I'd hope we can get weapon names not quite as compressed as "Slvr Swd", but at least it's a passable alternative that could pass for content in an actual game rather than just looking like sloppy and lazy tacked-on content.

I recall that for the FE12 translation somebody managed to make squished text in order to get the longer weapon names to fit. Would that work here? Because I agree, having five or six different weapons all named "Iron" is really annoying.

Another thing that is in garbled moonspeak that I know of off the top of my head is the box that comes up whenever you level up Movement (including when you use the statbooster for it) and whenever your weapon rank increases.

Also someone be sure to get a picture of the battle information window that comes up (the one that tells you how much damage you will do to the enemy and visa versa). That's similarly garbled and should be fixed ASAP. It's annoying especially because you have to subtract enemy def from your atk (the game doesn't do it for you) so knowing which numbers are which is critical.

Barat (Boss of Chapter 20) has a battle quote that is also untranslated, although that can wait for the moment.

Barat (Boss of Chapter 20) has a battle quote that is also untranslated, although that can wait for the moment.

There's a whole village dialogue untranslated in Ch20 as well, IIRC.

Anyway, there's the battle preview window. I assumed it would be cleared up when the proper Defense etc. stat names were cleared up as well because the mojibake is identical, but perhaps that's wishful thinking. Same with the "anim up" report on proccing movement, because it uses the same mojibake as the movement stat.

Fqv35.png

Edited by Balcerzak

Is there a way to use the small font instead of the large font for menus?

EDIT: I mean, including the weapon names and stuff, so things like "Silver Sword" might actually fit in its entirety.

Edited by dondon151

I may have remembered incorrectly, but the menu font is fixed width, so if you want smaller text in the menus, you have to draw special tiles for them, like "Attack" spread over 3 tiles. Which is what I think Shaya did for the map commands.

There's no such problem with the dialogue font though and, fortunately, FE12 doesn't have this problem : P

Right Stats

Leader (Of your army)

Leadership Stars

Movement Stars

Rescued

Movement

Fatigue

Status

Upper Left

Attack Critical

Hit % Evasion

Range

Opposite, that's the Story Translation, the Menu Translation looks like this

34p1g7d.jpg

It looks very nice, but I can't stand that the class name goes over the portrait. Abbreviations like Swd. Master would be nice to fix this.

Yeah, all of the menu texts are fixed width, so what Shaya essentially did was overwrite the kanji with English letters, which is why you get the weird "Swap" and "Danc" things in the battle stats, and is also why the names are only ever 5-6 characters long, and also why the item names are so short. So unless someone can figure out how to make variable-width font for the menus, which would probably require some hardcore hacking, then we can't do an awful lot for the patch.

That being said, I would love to help out with translations if I ever get FE13's text finished.

There's more than enough space for squishes and abbreviations, if you don't think you're capable of extending how many tiles are shown. The menu character set begins at 39CE80. I think my game had a header, don't remember if it's the v.rom or np version. Make sure you view the data with the generic "gameboy" format. Nintendo used this to conserve space when it didn't feel like compression.

G2ZZO.png

Edited by Celice

if i can figure out how the SNES core works (if it's ARMv4 like i'm hoping or at least something with RISC capabilities) i could attempt to do some of that "hardcore hacking" that you refer to, although i have yet to download the SNES debugger (lazy and the internet here sucks)

Are you going to make a new translation from scratch or are you going to modify Shaya's translation?

If it's the first one, you must also implement a VWF and either use dictionary compression or rom expansion (or both). Is someone here good with SNES ASM? And what programme will you use to implement text?

As soon as I have access to a more stable internet connection than the one I have now, I'll download the SNES debugger and see what I can do with it.

To repeat what I said before, if it's an ARMv4 (I can live with v3, v1/2 might be an issue for me) computer with a RISC core, I should be able to work a few things.

(also, for the most part, all ASM is essentially the same - all that changes is the amount of it and how expansive the instruction set is; for example ARM can handle commands like strneb (store single byte if not equal) whereas in THUMB you have to do it separately [beq pastThis; strb args - translates to "skip this if equal otherwise store byte")

Another thing we should figure out is names. The current Thracia patch doesn't even use names consistently, oftentimes switching between different spellings or translations within the same line of dialogue.

Shouldn't we just go off the Wiki/Serenes name list? Honestly I am not TOO concerned with 'Localizing' the names unless it's preventing something like 'Yurius' from popping up again.'

Leaf

Fin

Othin

Halvan

Evayle

Dagda

Tania

Marty

Ronan

Safy

Rifis

Machua

Brighton

Lara

Felgus

Karin

Dalsin

Asvel

Nanna

Hicks

Shiva

Carrion

Selphina

Kein

Alva

Robert

Fred

Olwen

Mareeta

Salem

Pahn

Trewd

Tina

Glade

Dean

Eda

Homeros

Linoan

Ralph

Eyrios

Sleuf

Misha

Sara

Shanam

Miranda

Xavier

Amalda

Conomore

Delmud

Cyas

Sety

Galzus

Are you going to make a new translation from scratch or are you going to modify Shaya's translation?

If it's the first one, you must also implement a VWF and either use dictionary compression or rom expansion (or both). Is someone here good with SNES ASM? And what programme will you use to implement text?

I am an editor, first and foremost. I say so long as we have a concise script somewhere, I have no problems being one of the people making sure it sounds RIGHT. And I do think instead of one of us going over the chapters all on our lonesome, that we segment them between one another, and then trade them around.

Edited by Onmi

I am an editor, first and foremost. I say so long as we have a concise script somewhere, I have no problems being one of the people making sure it sounds RIGHT. And I do think instead of one of us going over the chapters all on our lonesome, that we segment them between one another, and then trade them around.

I think he's asking if we have an actual text editor (a program that modifies the in-game text) handy.

Edited by Camtech

I think he's asking if we have an actual text editor (a program that modifies the in-game text) handy.

OH! Oh...

... Maybe? I don't think we do otherwise me (Or Klok, or hell even Banzai) would already have cracked it open

EDIT: No wait I was only responding to the first part of his post, are we re-translating or modifying Shaya's

Edited by Onmi

As long as it isn't fucking "Felgus" you can call everybody else whatever you want.

Also, please correct all the province names to the proper Irish spellings just to troll people.