Samias's Art Stuff

Samias

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people on this forum can be a little sensitive so I erred on the side of caution. Of course she'll bounce back, she's stubborn! She never lets the hard times get to her.

I thought I'd pull out some school stuff done in the last couple months, even though I'm pretty bad at animating. Haaaaaahahaha.

More stuff:

And a sketch of another character of mine.

zenais_pondering_stuff_by_xyrafhoan-d5iv2xx.jpg

Edited by Samias

For 6 seconds of animation, usually I'll spend about... oh boy, like 10-15 hours or so, depending on how many revisions I have to do? The next animation project I have is a bit longer than these but we have three weeks to do it as opposed to two, so the quality should be better. Should. But usually that does not translate well for me, and instead spells procrastination.

We also have a Flash animation due that's supposed to be 15 seconds long, but the build alone has taken me about as much time as it takes to produce 6 seconds of hand drawn animation. I'm hoping to make my Flash build about as good looking as what they produce at Klei Entertainment, since if I get hired out of school, that's the place I want to work. We officially get 2 weeks on our Flash build but I started ahead of time, so I have a lot of time to tweak that. After that, we can animate pretty much whatever we want. I might end up making a slightly tech demo-y animation to illustrate a lot of different actions with my build, but at this point I'm not entirely sure.

I love how fluid your stuff is~!

Maybe it's the effect of being a animation student, but yeah~~! Your lines are so fluid and movey and springy.

Mine on the other hand usually looks so stiff or rigid. XD I want to try to add more fluidity into my linework, but I am not sure I am capable of it.

I'm sure you can become more fluid, and I don't really think your art is as rigid as you think it is. My art has definitely become looser in the past 2 years, but I think it's less because of animation than it is a product of rigorous life drawing. I don't post any of it, but I draw from a model for about 8 hours every week, with roughly 2 of those hours being entirely 1 minute gesture drawings, and then the rest are in the ballpark of 5-10 minutes each. It basically forces me to analyse a pose and try and interpret it within a very narrow window of time. So when I start drawing a character, I usually start with a quick gesture and keep going and refining it as I go along. A lot of my pencil drawings are left quite rough because I want to keep the energy of my initial pencil marks. If I'm working on my Cintiq, I'll sketch a very, very messy sketch and go over it again, either with a quick overlay or something more controlled, depending on my mood. All in all, on paper my pictures are almost all completed within 15-20 mins or less, and on the Cintiq I could take up to an hour, depending on whether or not I want to colour something (usually I do), but that includes the base colours. Shading stuff kills me, and so does drawing layouts (backgrounds), so those take me hours upon hours to get right.

Anyway, new art!

balcony_talk_by_xyrafhoan-d5iz6m1.jpg

it__s_the_same_look_by_xyrafhoan-d5j1uma.png

amuse_me_by_xyrafhoan-d5j3yt5.png

And a WIP...

Edited by Samias

Ahh that halloween one is great. I'm especially fond of the colors you used for the dark values in the girl's dress, looks like there might be a little bit of a gradient? Ahh I love it.

The guy kind of seems to be sitting on a totally different plane than her though.

Yeah ;_; I didn't spend the time to properly plot out the ground plane so the legs on the guy just exist in some warped place where nothing makes any sense. But then again, his legs almost never make any sense, as you'll soon see...

tumblr_mcvf8dgw7n1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mcvn0hIbA61qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

AND MY ART IN THE FUTURE

tumblr_mcvoop15iU1qixsfqo1_1280.jpg

At first I was like "Wait, that's a guy? but ... but ..." and then I went down a bit and saw the second pic. Yeah his legs are a little weird, but I really like that first one. Please shade it :D:

Maybe I will go back and shade that first one. Lately I just get so distracted even though I have a whole lot of deadlines looming over my head though <_<... oh boy. Later this week I might try to show off some of the background work I've been doing for school, and a Flash build I've been working on.

I posted a WIP before but ugh... the full version has a whole bunch of mistakes and eventually the direction it went in began to give me the heebie jeebies.

tumblr_mcyg0ejcSD1qixsfqo1_1280.png

There's a bit of it cropped off (and pretty much identical to what I posted before except for added highlights). It's kinda scary and a little bit sexual(?) so minor discretion advised.

NOW QUICK HAVE A SWEET AND HEARTWARMING OTHER WIP

sergius-and-his-girls-wip.jpg

Edited by Samias

Yeah, when it comes to kids, I end up exaggerating the proportions a LOT to try and keep them from looking like mini adults. At one point I was volunteering at a school to help teach art class but also so I could draw kids without being a creeper at the playground or something.

I did shade that one picture! It was a big of a quick job but now the sweater looks super cozy~

daydreams__by_xyrafhoan-d5ju9ij.png

And this is still a WIP since I left the base colours in a rough state (it's hard to tell at a low res though).

sergius-and-his-girls-wip2.jpg

Baby-sized hands and feet are here to stay, I think. Unless I bulked up the kids all over, they'd start to look weird on such thin arms and legs. And I want them small, so they contrast with their big daddy! Most people see him as a cold-hearted soldier but he lives for and loves his daughters~

Yep, totally adorkable.

[spoiler=High res detail shot of the WIP]

sergius-girls-detailwip.jpg

There will be more than just this one pic soon. I have a bunch of background, animation, and Flash stuff to show off later.

Edited by Samias

No character stuff in this update! I though I'd showcase some of the other stuff I do at school besides animating.

the_city_by_xyrafhoan-d5l10q4.jpg

These are rough sketches and our teacher forces us to do three and pick one to refine. My third isn't finished quite finished yet but these are some idea sketches. I'll be getting some detailed feedback on these tomorrow, and then pick the favourite/most well received of the three sketches to work on to look more like what I have above.

joanna-barlayout1.jpg

joanna-barlayout2.jpg

This is really crunch time for projects so I didn't have much time to draw personal art x_x I had my birthday on the weekend so I kind of ate up my own homework time too. Anyway, I cobbled enough time to put together a rough sketch of a new character I wanted to use RPing with a friend.

tumblr_mdreuraFw71qixsfqo1_500.png

Thanks. The gun was a product of indecision of whether it was going to have a top-loading catapult of sorts, but it's now a cartridge loaded magic-firing solution for non-magic users. That character is for a new RP I started on IRC with some friends.

I have class tomorrow and I only just finished the homework for it just now ;_; this is different from the usual and also I'm too lazy to put up a censored version so everyone gets to know my real name and the school I go to yaaaaaaaaay.

joanna_final_thumbnails001.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails002.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails003.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails004.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails005.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails006.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails007.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails008.jpgjoanna_final_thumbnails009.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails010.jpg

joanna_final_thumbnails011.jpg

And also some more character stuff.

ra__vyk_the_priestess_by_xyrafhoan-d5m0wgz.jpg

Well I'm laughing about two different things right now, but can only go into one. I am going to associate you with this sprite for awhile :lol:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/JETZ34/RP%20Stuff/Joannaupdate.png

I kind of entertained the idea of one of the races I put in RotE looking more like actual birds-like that your artwork up there-but the fully humanoid thing stuck(and so did the cross-species shipping). Is that like a priest(ess?) or something?

Yes, she's a priestess of an ancient race of psychic bird people called 'Vertonians". I drew her for a small RP I'm running. I don't normally write a character who is revered by everyone, but I made her an exception. She's basically treated as a living goddess, but she's not a part of the main cast. That particular story is about a bunch of time travellers stranded in the ancient past, all with their own agendas, so their knowledge of the priestess is all word of mouth.

I do wonder about the other funny thing though!