Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I just kinda remembered.... I started playing FE6 a couple days ago 'cause bored, and I noticed the grammar and wording on the world map events are absolutely atrocious :/

Are you going to be changing that around too? :3 (The one I noticed is right before Ch 2, I believe, when you go to meet Dieck and crew, and they talk about going to the village to meet them... I don't have the script here but it's the most awkward sentence I've seen in a while)

Oh, I just kinda remembered.... I started playing FE6 a couple days ago 'cause bored, and I noticed the grammar and wording on the world map events are absolutely atrocious :/

Are you going to be changing that around too? :3 (The one I noticed is right before Ch 2, I believe, when you go to meet Dieck and crew, and they talk about going to the village to meet them... I don't have the script here but it's the most awkward sentence I've seen in a while)

Yep! See the bullets in the first post. Narration is covered. That's actually what pushed me over the edge. XD

oh man

that is a huge amount of money lost

i mean it's like more than 10 bucks

the amount i can gain in damages is definitely going to be more than that

especially since i don't actually have any copyright

Sirius should lock this thread. It's in violation of FireLizard's copyright, as seen at the bottom of this page:

http://www.gamefaqs....rugi/faqs/26673

This is the most rediculous thing I've heard.

A. How is this in violation? I don't see anything about it.

Some people at the Fire Emblem Sanctuary of Strategy (FESS) boards have decided

to build an English translation patch of the FE6 Japanese ROM. They are using

my translations for the mainline script and the support conversations, which

will be finished (hopefully) sometime soon.

Here are the people involved:

Parser Man: Dark Twilkitri

Builder: Seth/Roy Mustang/Eaichu

Translators: Rosa Aquafire, FireLizard

For more details, you can go to

http://s7.invisionfree.com/FESS/index.php?showtopic=3381

Note that this file will still stay up on GameFAQs. The patch isn't done yet,

and, with all due respect, I know that some people have issues with ROMs, so

they won't want to use the patch. So anyway, this text file will remain here

even after the patch is released.

That's it for now.

B. Why do you care?

C. Popo is just editing the patch. Chill your horses. I don't see anywhere where she even brings up his name, let alone that she's using his script. :/

Edited by Bryan

I care solely because my attempt to edit the Thracia patch in a similar manner was locked with that justification. I don't see why my efforts should be discriminated against while this edit, which does the same thing I was doing, is allowed to continue.

Sirius should lock this thread. It's in violation of FireLizard's copyright, as seen at the bottom of this page:

http://www.gamefaqs....rugi/faqs/26673

First of all, just because you're butthurt that your thread got closed, don't come over here and piss on my project.

Second, you can't copyright a translation unless it's been approved by the actual copyright owner. Unless FireLizard has some agreement with Nintendo, he technically has no more legal authority to distribute a translation than I do to make edits to it.

"Translations are a derivative work, and only the copyright owner can authorize a translation that will be distributed. This envisions a work that is translated into another language and distributed in the parts of the world where that language is spoken. Derivative works are infringing if they are not created with the permission of the copyright holder. Thus, a work of fiction or a best-selling biography cannot be translated into French and distributed without the original author or copyright holder’s permission."
Edited by Popo

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31800&pid=1948856&st=60entry1948856

Either both get locked or both get unlocked. Assuming we're playing by consistent rules here, those are the only two possible outcomes.

And if we're all in agreement that locking this thread would be absurd (it would), then we must all be in agreement that locking the other thread was just as absurd and must be reversed.

Edited by Othin

I'll just quote what I told Banzai in the PM:

The history and the technicality of the copyright he may or may not hold is up for debate. What is known however is that Shaya did have permission as noted by the link in this post:

http://serenesforest...dpost&p=1949223

you did not. Similar to how we abide to the "copyright" or simply a spriter's desire to not have his/her work edited/used without his/her consent or "legal terms", we will abide to the legal notices in FAQs and other such documents. Basically, if someone clearly states in their document that they don't want it edited or distributed around without permission, don't do it, the author or any reader of the document may bring it to our attention and we'll remove the "infringing" material and I only closed your topic, not removed it so you're still able to work around it by yourself as well as discuss it with friends that may be interested in it in private.

Now...

Banzai and Othin: I suggest you 2 quit your little tantrum over the closed thread or I'll suspend both of you.

Popo: I'll leave your thread open but before implementing your changes, do contact the folks involved in the original stuff as you said you would in your opening post:

Assuming that I can contact the people who initially worked on this project and ask their permission, here's what I'd like to accomplish:

Popo: I'll leave your thread open but before implementing your changes, do contact the folks involved in the original stuff as you said you would in your opening post:

As pretty much the entire forum has stated, FireLizard has fled without a trace. I've put out a request for contact information, and the only person who got back to me was Josh, who ultimately couldn't put me in contact with the original translators. The only other person I can find is Eaichu via Facebook, but I'm unable to send him any messages and he doesn't have any alternate contact information posted. I could harass Anne or someone else who knows him personally, but I'd really prefer not to do that for something that again, has no legal standing. Rosa Aquafire was the other listed translator, and all I've managed to find on her is a FanFiction.Net account that hasn't been updated since 2005 and a dead FESS account.

Edited by Popo

After some discussion it has been decided that this thread will now be opened. You may resume what you're doing but unless you have permission from the people involved in the original work, you may not redistribute the patch in this forum.

A shame you got caught in the crossfire Popo, but we have to keep some consistency around here. This stuff is such a mess, I may never use a translation patch again.

Edited by Sirius

As pretty much the entire forum has stated, FireLizard has fled without a trace. I've put out a request for contact information, and the only person who got back to me was Josh, who gave me his blessing as someone who helped out, but ultimately couldn't put me in contact with the original translators. The only other person I can find is Eaichu via Facebook, but I'm unable to send him any messages and he doesn't have any alternate contact information posted. I could harass Anne or someone else who knows him personally, but I'd really prefer not to do that for something that again, has no legal standing. Rosa Aquafire was the other listed translator, and all I've managed to find on her is a FanFiction.Net account that hasn't been updated since 2005 and a dead FESS account.

If you make all the effort and nothing comes up, that still counts. It's not like you're trying to thieve FireLizard's work and pass it as your own--your intent is hardly that malicious, I suspect. :P:

Well...Firelizard does come on GameFAQS from time to time. Don't know if he still does now. But he did say that my FE stories were interesting in a GameFAQS topic. :awesome:

This was back in the 90's when I was talking about the story of Zephiel. =)

Edited by リンダ

If you make all the effort and nothing comes up, that still counts. It's not like you're trying to thieve FireLizard's work and pass it as your own--your intent is hardly that malicious, I suspect. :P:

Not only that, but I hope it's obvious to everyone that the original team will be fully credited in all documentation. >o< I never had any intention or thought of removing their names from the project.

Not only that, but I hope it's obvious to everyone that the original team will be fully credited in all documentation. >o< I never had any intention or thought of removing their names from the project.

Looking forward to seeing the elaberation of the patch's script change. :D:

Edited by リンダ

Okay, so moving on from the storm... I kinda felt a little depressed that the entire reason this was brought back was because of a storm...

So...

Remember this?

RememberChapter17titleglitch.png

Change the 0x00 at 0x677F78 via a Hex Editor, to 0x04.

Enjoy.

WellnowChapter17titleisfixed.png

Okay, so moving on from the storm... I kinda felt a little depressed that the entire reason this was brought back was because of a storm...

So...

Remember this?

RememberChapter17titleglitch.png

Change the 0x00 at 0x677F78 via a Hex Editor, to 0x04.

Enjoy.

.. You are amazing Rey.

I have seen that a few times in the game. The patch doesn't seem to relie well on Virtual Boy like on NO$GBA.

Enjoy.

Thank you! This is a big help; people have been complaining about this for a while, so I'm glad you were able to fix it. :3

Edited by Tangerine