Pokemon Emerald Ingame Tier List

Don Draper

Horsea is bottom.

WTF is this shiz.

Plusle and Minun up.

Geodude down: Speed growth is bad and Rocks have too many weaknesses.

No Bagon. Put a Bagon in top. The only things effective on Dragon are Dragon and Ice.

Horsea is bottom.

WTF is this shiz.

Horsea is bottom because of his hideous availability. Kingdra's awesome, but by the time you have access to Pacifidlog, you probably have a high level water type(Usually Swampert, Ludicolo, or Sharpedo), and IIRC, Horsea is underleveled as fuck, not to mention that Dragon scales are hard to find, so he's stuck with Seadra anyway.

Plusle and Minun up.

At best, they are an inferior Manectric/Magneton. They also have shit movepools and subpar stats.

Geodude down: Speed growth is bad and Rocks have too many weaknesses.

I agree. He's still high or upper mid, but Rock/Ground is utter crap considering that the sea routes are full of Water types, which rape Graveler/Golem in the ass(Grass/Ice/Fight weaknesses don't help his cause, either). Granted, those same dudes hurt Aggron pretty damn badly. At least he's 2X weak to H2O and not 4X weak(he's weak vs Fight attacks and EQ, but those aren't as common unless your fighting Magmas).

No Bagon. Put a Bagon in top. The only things effective on Dragon are Dragon and Ice.

Salamence is a BAMF, but Bagon has severe availability issues, even worse than Horsea. He's awesome when trained, but not being available until AFTER you get Waterfall hurts him. He's upper mid at best.

Edited by DA125

Why is Ralts in the top tier when for a good portion of her start she's stuck with no attack moves, making her like Magikarp until it learns an actual attack? Furthermore, you're relying on luck to even find her. She's found on one route, the route is small and Ralts is absurdly rare. The chance of just stumbling into one on your way through seem quite low when you compare it to say, Tropius. He's got a low encounter rate, but he's got a big route of which can offer more opportunities to stumble into one.

Though I'm supposing rarity isn't equating into this. I dunno, I just find it weird giving a pokemon like Ralts top tier when for a portion of her start she has no way to actually kill anything.

Even one of the starts sucks, Treeko being the one I'm calling out. Alright sweet, you can start with him. He's got great speed. Yipee. Nearly ineffective against Watson (who is balls hard, and when your other two starts can either be completely immune to anything he does or super counter steel comparing to Treeko being a gimp offensively against them), hammered by Flannery, Magma can check him (at least Fighting is super effective on the Sharpedos in Aqua), Valery owns it (or whatever the flying gym leader's called), when is he effective? The water gym? Yipee. One part of the entire game.

Even one of the starts sucks, Treeko being the one I'm calling out. Alright sweet, you can start with him. He's got great speed. Yipee. Nearly ineffective against Watson (who is balls hard, and when your other two starts can either be completely immune to anything he does or super counter steel comparing to Treeko being a gimp offensively against them), hammered by Flannery, Magma can check him (at least Fighting is super effective on the Sharpedos in Aqua), Valery owns it (or whatever the flying gym leader's called), when is he effective? The water gym? Yipee. One part of the entire game.

Not that I disagree but you're forgetting Roxanne. Pretty sure that Nosepass is a bit of a bitch to get past and your options are really limited at that point in the game (Wingull, Seedot/Lotad). Trecko easily stomps that gym.

Flying is Winona.

Ok, I'm having problems with the list. Namely:

1) Swablu in Mid.

2) Vulpix in Low.

3) Whismur in High.

4) Aron above Shroomish.

Want to explain your reasoning for these four? Especially Vulpix (even though my favourite Pokemon is Ninetales, I promise to be fair) since the fires in this game aren't exactly good aside from Torchic.

Edited by Sue Sylvester

Has to rely on Peck for damage until Level 31. Essentially all damaging TMs it can use come too late. When you consider that it also has terrible stats as Swablu, and its stuck this way until Level 35, it really doesn't have much going for it.

My bad, I thought it came at a much lower level. Level 32 is definitely acceptable at that point in the game. I'll put him in Upper Mid, with a chance of making High in the future.

I thought Swablu was way too high since I've had experience with using one and quite frankly, it sucks.

As for Vulpix, the only thing dragging it down is availability. With stuff like inherent Will-O-Wisp, Confuse Ray and Safeguard and a high Sp Def stat (Vulpix has 65, Ninetales has 100), the thing can even tank Water. You need a Firestone to evolve it but nobody else is using the one you find in the Fiery Path (both Eevee and Growlithe have to be traded). The only real weakness it has is Rock and you can still hit it with a Confuse Ray/Will-O-Wisp combo to severely gimp that poke's offense. Not to mention that your only alternatives for Fire are Numel, Torkoal and Torchic. Oh and Slugma which is shit.

Edited by Sue Sylvester

To be fair, all of the starters are only effective against 1-3:

Treeko: Roxanne and Juan

Mudkip: Roxanne and Flannery (maybe Wattson, depending on how useful Mud Shot is)

Torchic: Norman

It doesn't put Treeko at an enormous disadvantage.

Wattson's troublesome pokemon are Steel type, which Torchic in it's evolved forms is super effective on in 2 different ways. Mudkip is part ground, so it can't be hurt by any electrical attacks, leaving Wattson with Self-Destruct and lolSonic Boom to work with. Treeko is a gimp because Grass does dick to Steel, especially with Treeko's meh offense stats.

I'd venture you can get Torchic to evolve by the time you fight Roxanne, which means on damage he's neutral due to Fighting secondary typing, and Double Kick which is supper effective on. Even then, you can still take care of Roxanne easy with something like Shroomish or Seedot/Lotad. What can you get that can just counter Wattson on the spot? Due to this, I'd consider fucking up on Wattson a bigger deal than Combusken not being as effective against Roxanne.

I'd also give the advantage to Blaziken in Flannery as well, due to not only resisting Fire, but being immune to Burn due to Fire type, so he can just wail away at his leisure.

I'd venture you can get Torchic to evolve by the time you fight Roxanne, which means on damage he's neutral due to Fighting secondary typing, and Double Kick which is supper effective on. Even then, you can still take care of Roxanne easy with something like Shroomish or Seedot/Lotad. What can you get that can just counter Wattson on the spot? Due to this, I'd consider fucking up on Wattson a bigger deal than Combusken not being as effective against Roxanne.

Or you can catch a Lotad/Seedot/Wingull/Shroomish and destroy Roxanne without having to powerlevel Torchic. Minimum effort, maximum gain.

EDIT: I realize that you said it right afterwards but your argument then makes no sense. Are you actually suggesting that we penalize Treecko or reward Torchic because it's harder to find a poke in the game that hits Wattson's weaknesses *cough**Geodude**cough* but not so for Roxanne?

Edited by Sue Sylvester

Or you can catch a Lotad/Seedot/Wingull/Shroomish and destroy Roxanne without having to powerlevel Torchic. Minimum effort, maximum gain.

1. How many pokemon are you really going to be catching before Roxanne? At best of the ones you catch, you'll be using 1 seriously. You'd be surprised how much EXP Torchic gets, and the fact you could go rescue Peeko first before going to the gym.

EDIT: I realize that you said it right afterwards but your argument then makes no sense. Are you actually suggesting that we penalize Treecko or reward Torchic because it's harder to find a poke in the game that hits Wattson's weaknesses *cough**Geodude**cough* but not so for Roxanne?

I'm simply saying we should penalize Treecko for being awful against Wattson for having us catch an entirely new pokemon just to make up for it's shortcoming. At least Torchic can evolve to Combusken before Roxanne to mitigate it's weaknesses so that we aren't completely dependent on a whole new pokemon to deal with that problem.

1. How many pokemon are you really going to be catching before Roxanne? At best of the ones you catch, you'll be using 1 seriously. You'd be surprised how much EXP Torchic gets, and the fact you could go rescue Peeko first before going to the gym.

Enough to match treekos ability? We can put in half the effort with just lotad, or, I dunno, treeko. Its not like this is detrimental to the team at all in any way. Better than not having a back up pokemon, thats for sure.

I'm simply saying we should penalize Treecko for being awful against Wattson for having us catch an entirely new pokemon just to make up for it's shortcoming. At least Torchic can evolve to Combusken before Roxanne to mitigate it's weaknesses so that we aren't completely dependent on a whole new pokemon to deal with that problem.

This is why treeko is below torchic, a bigger gap than just watson is needed to create a tier gap.

I'd say that Torkoal should move above Poochyena. Poochyena is quite useless for most of the earlygame, and Torkoal's impressive physical defense along with Flamethrower off of Base 85 Sp Atk at Lv. 30 offers quite a bit of offense, and especially helps with Gyms 4-6. Plus Body Slam at Lv. 20 paralyzes, and Protect at Lv. 27 allows you to stall with a lucky burn or Fire Spin. Both are outclassed by the end of the game, but Torkoal is definitely more useful during the midgame than Poochyena & Mightyena's fail against early gyms (lol Brawly), terribad Sp Atk (Base 60, almost on the level of Azumarill) and Intimidate.

EDIT: Also, Mawile should be in Bottom. It has terrible stats, and it's only available in Victory Road, according to Bulbapedia. Intimidate isn't enough to save it from Bottom. At the very least Dustox and Beautifly can help you loads against Brawly with Confusion/Gust and Harden on top of its x4 Fighting resist.

Edited by ultimateluigi987

Thinking about it, wingull could also stand to rise. Its got great availability, makes a good HM slave but its best attribute is its sheer dominance over the gym leaders' types. The only scary one for it is Watson, but its super against Roxanne, Brawly, Flannery and Tate & Liza, neutral against winona and not very against only Juan. Okay, so its stats aren't great, but its not too bad defensively at the very least. I think it could stand to move up into high, maybe above marill as marill only shows after surf, which means she misses flannery and roxanne and only leaving tate and liza to do amazing against, and even then, Pelliper has a greater sp.A to do even more damage.

Thinking about it, wingull could also stand to rise. Its got great availability, makes a good HM slave but its best attribute is its sheer dominance over the gym leaders' types. The only scary one for it is Watson, but its super against Roxanne, Brawly, Flannery and Tate & Liza, neutral against winona and not very against only Juan. Okay, so its stats aren't great, but its not too bad defensively at the very least. I think it could stand to move up into high, maybe above marill as marill only shows after surf, which means she misses flannery and roxanne and only leaving tate and liza to do amazing against, and even then, Pelliper has a greater sp.A to do even more damage.

Since this is Emerald and not R/S, Marill is available just as early as Wingull, in the route west of Petalburg.