Best time to class change

Hudder368

I received my copy of Awakening a day and I was wondering when the best time was to class change.

I'm planning on waiting until lvl 20 to promote a base class to an advanced,and class change the advanced at lvl 15 most times,but when is the best time to class change base classes?

I do it whenever seals are available since infinite leveling anyway, and I want to get skills quickly. so 10 for unpromoted and 10/15 for promoted depending if I'm going for the level 15 promoted skill or not.

Like my MU's 18 Tact(she was level 18 by the time I got the first master seal)->10 GM-> 9 Hero right now since I wanted handaxes more than Rally Spectrum due to her being a frontline offense unit and not a rallybot, but I do want axebreaker so I won't be reclassing her again for another 6 levels.

As a nogrind player I find promoting actually kinda speed up level gains 'cuz they have more stats and more move to kill more things faster but that's just my playstyle.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm personally fond of reclassing base classes at level 10 if I do reclass a base class, after they learn their skills, then (assuming I'm promoting in that other base class) I promote them at 10. You could delay the levels a bit if you want stats over skills though. When it comes down to it, it's quicker stats versus quicker skills,

Well, I look at it this way.

If you are not concerned with the costs of Master Seals and Second Seals (i.e. you are either grinding skirmishes or have the Gold DLC or both), it makes sense to change class as soon as you have gained all the skills in your current class - so Lv. 10 for base class, Lv. 15 for advanced classes. So that kind of tactic is ideal for post-game or casual playthroughs.

However, if you're still doing the story mode, particularly on harder difficulties, and you are avoiding any extra battles, it's a more difficult question.

Combining the chapters and paralogues, there's enough experience in the main game to get your main team to about halfway through your second promoted class before the end. So you might want to get your money's worth out of those seals - if you promoted at Lv. 15 every time you'll probably need 3 seals per character instead of 2, which is a pretty expensive difference. At the same time, you may want to promote to advanced class early for the stat bonuses.

So it's really up to you and your playstyle.

It's only really a problem if you're trying to train a lot of people with no grinding during storymode. If you centralise your team the game throws enough master seals and second seals and money at you by early midgame there's not much to worry about.

You could delay the levels a bit if you want stats over skills though. When it comes down to it, it's quicker stats versus quicker skills,

I hear a lot of people saying this, and have never understood it. If you hold off on re-classing it's not quicker stats, and it's only higher end stats if you're not re-re-classing (or however many times you re-class). In fact, promoting (not re-classing) is quicker stats, because you get the promotion boosts.

If I'm misunderstanding something, please correct me.

It's more of a disjointed setup, really. While the promotion boosts will be delayed, you're getting more experience because of lower levels, as opposed to level 10->skip to level "21". What with experience scaling per level and all.

I guess "quicker solid stats" would be a more accurate statement. And then there's the thing as stated before, less second seals used (For those just trying to finish the game rather than grind to max)

The point about faster level-ups is a good one, although I think it's a pretty small difference...

Hmm. I assumed that the internal level would still be at 10 (or maybe 11) if you promoted at Lv. 10. Can anyone confirm this? ...although my understanding is that the secrets hidden in the code are still mysteries to us. Still, empirical evidence should answer the question:

- Recruit some low-level Spotpass unit (say Florina), train her to Lv. 10, then promote. Kill a known enemy (for example, let your other units kill all but the boss in a Spotpass battle, then feed Florina the kill). Record the amount of Exp. gained.

- Then, do the same thing, but train Florina to a Lv. 15 Peg Knight before promoting. Kill the same enemy with the same methodology, and compare the amount of Exp. gained with the first test.

But if anyone knows off the top of their head, that would be much faster.

Promote (I.E. Master Seal) at Level 20.

Reclass (I.E. Second Seal, Dread Scroll, Wedding Bouquet) at L10/16.

Why?

Internal Levels. The character's Internal Level is used for EXP calculations. Not their actual level (which is used for determining Internal Level and Underdog).

Math:

Internal Level = [Actual Level] + [Cumulative Level]

Acutal Level = [Displayed Level] (If Promoted add 20)

Use of Master Seal:

Actual Level = 21 (Displayed will be 1, +20 Promoted Class)

Use of Second Seal:

Cumulative Level = [Current Cumualtive Level] + (([Actual Level] -1)/2)

Since the game rounds EVERYTHING down, second sealing at an even number results in getting an extra level of free stat gains. (I.E. Second Seal at L15 Promoted: 35-1=34/2 = Cumualtive Level of 17. At L16, you get 36-1 = 35/2 17.5, round down, that's ...17.

OK, there we go. That was certainly fast - I assume you weren't actually replying to my post, because that would be insanely fast.

Thank you though, that clears things up.

Actually, I wonder too, though I didn't get this game recently or anything. If you're reclassing for only stats, is it quicker to reclass from promoted back to base class then again to promoted? Or just reclass to the same class? (Also, what's the best way to maximize someone's stats? Or in particular, the children's... considering I see my Chrom!Morgan having stats maxed at a higher number than on the site.)

Edited by Cordelia

I think I said this in another thread, but I just promote and reclass at level 10/15 for skill efficiency; I usually tend to cap my stats regardless, and if I don't, the margin is very small, which is easily filled up by a few stat boosters.

Actually, I wonder too, though I didn't get this game recently or anything. If you're reclassing for only stats, is it quicker to reclass from promoted back to base class then again to promoted? Or just reclass to the same class? (Also, what's the best way to maximize someone's stats? Or in particular, the children's... considering I see my Chrom!Morgan having stats maxed at a higher number than on the site.)

There's no point (well there's some, if you're not internal level-capped) to re-classing to a base class unless you want the skills (Armsthrift FTW), as you could just re-class into a promoted class, take 10 levels (or 15, to get the mastery skill (is there a term for the Lv. 15 skill?)), then re-class again to another promoted class (or the original), and never take the significant (temporary) stat drops that go along with re-classing to a base class.

In addition, going to a base class could easily slow down your stat growths because it's likely you'll hit your stat caps, which means no growth at all for those levels.

That being said, I do wind up re-classing from promoted -> base a lot, but that's mostly for Spotpass characters to get Veteran, the Armsthrift, then Vantage, if I want it. Occasionally Miracle (for a Vantage/Vengeance bot).

Also, if you're grinding LB3, re-classing to a base class will screw you over unless you're Limit Broken, and even then you're likely to be dying, even camping the fort - even with Sol. But that's a big if - although you may screw yourself over for story missions as well, I've got much less experience with that.

There's a bit of an exception for some of the special classes though (DLC classes, manakete, taguel) since they act like they're unpromoted levelwise (In terms of gaining experience), but have higher stat caps. You'll need to hit level 30 with them to reclass to a promoted class.

But after you get stats capped there, though, and if you need more grinding in your final class, you can just reclass to the same class at level 20, yeah. You need to be at max level in a class to reclass to itself though.

Edited by Forrest

Yeah, hitting the unpromoted caps is something that is likely to happen if you're using the Seal to demote a unit; on the other hand, EXP gain will in general be sped up. If you're playing a no-grind run, you pretty much never want to demote a unit (unless it's to access Manakete or something); if you're allowing grinding, EXPonential growth should allow you to get EXP at a good enough pace for promoted units with numbers in the neighborhood of unpromoted caps

For unpromoted units, EXPonential Growth is certainly less hassle and pain than LB3, but if you're grinding a lot, you will probably want LB3 (and Paragon).

I usually do:

Initial class LV10 (or 15 if special or promoted class)>Unpromoted 2 LV10>Unpromoted 3 LV20 (or lower if many stats are capped and I don't have the feeling they're growing)>Promoted class LV15 (with a somewhat important skill to get, like Renewal or Galeforce)>>>keep on getting skills just for the OP.

I usually do:

Initial class LV10 (or 15 if special or promoted class)>Unpromoted 2 LV10>Unpromoted 3 LV20 (or lower if many stats are capped and I don't have the feeling they're growing)>Promoted class LV15 (with a somewhat important skill to get, like Renewal or Galeforce)>>>keep on getting skills just for the OP.

After capping all my (Limit Broken) stats and listening to Avatar saying that he ought to learn some new skills, I re-classed him until he learnt every single male skill (that's not a unique class, but yes Dread Fighter). Now he costs 124400 in the Avatar Logbook.

And he still says he wants to learn new skills.

...but that's kind of off-topic.

It's only really a problem if you're trying to train a lot of people with no grinding during storymode. If you centralise your team the game throws enough master seals and second seals and money at you by early midgame there's not much to worry about.

Thats true. The downside is that since theres no grinding, you might not get the kids of the characters you did pair, to have really awesome skills right away. So you may find yourself not recruiting them until post game. That is, if you want broken kids...

I class change at level 10 for reclassing usually and then promote at level 20. I usually also use another second seal to reclass at level 15 or higher on promoted units for skills.

Well since all I care about on this particular run is story mode it's not really a problem. It kinda also depend on how centralised your team is, really, and if the skill you wanted to pass down is in the character's base class or not and the level the skill comes at. I got Sol on Morgan (and probably could've had it for Lucina if I wanted, but I wanted veteran on her instead), Aegis and Sol for Gregor!Kjelle, and Deliverer on Yarne, but those are the only kids I have at all as well. And yeah I wasn't aiming for broken postgame so it works for me.

Just really depends on what kind of playstyle you have.

Arr.

Im a Galeforce spammer so i grind during the story. lol

It makes my turn count look hella low during the end scroll. But it really took me hella hours to grind my guys like that har!