Pairing MU with Children

Slinky

Oh no another pairing topic

When i see people talk about the best wife or husband for MU for optimizations purposes they usually say any of the 2nd gen units

because of their usual higher modifiers, which makes Morgan even better.

Even with a stronger Morgan, i think it's always better for MU to marry someone that will lead him/her to have two children instead of one. For example if my female MU marries Chrom, you get your naturally good Morgan, and a Lucina who has access to nearly all the classes in the game. Same goes for all the other children who end up with MU as their father, they'll have so much more options available.

What do you guys think? Is it better to pair MU with 1st gen units or 2nd gen units?

Frankly, consider that the logical choice for MU allocation is Sully, Tharja, Chrom, and Nowi

Sully and Tharja already have solid husband choice as it is, so they did not need MU that much

Marrying Chrom resulted in +1 total Armthrift, one of them for Lucina whereas marrying Inigo give Galeforce S Support and Rightful King. I dunno about you, but I consider the latter to be the superior choice

Marrying Nowi seems to be cool since Nowi has terrible skillset, and seems to be the best for the best Galeforce set up.

Oh wait, no marrying Gen 3 Males offers the exact same benefit as marrying Nowi, except with a Male Morgan

So, yeah Gen 3 > Gen 2

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Since the only way a Female Avatar can have two children is to marry Chrom, it's usually considered a better idea for a Female Avatar to marry one of the 2nd generation males for the better stat caps and general godliness. Or at least, that's what I've heard. I have done it myself but I didn't really compare them and should have. :\

Male MU x Nah makes Manakete morgan, which is just incredible, and probably the best possible Manakete in the game: huge stats(when dragonstone used, of course), and supreme skillset.

Why not?

You can't really go wrong with Morgan, he/she becomes either a god or an ubergod :D:

I prefer marrying the 1st generation, but that's less for stats and more because I find it odd that the Avatar can marry second generation kids. I know not everyone feels that way, of course, but yeah...

I always find it awkward, marrying someone that's one generation younger. So I just stick to the 1st generation. Stats only matter when it comes to Severa.

Enough Said

Male Morgan needs a second-gen father to even begin to be compared to the obviously-superior female Morgan, amirite?

In all seriousness, I'd say that since this topic is about optimization, we're assuming optimal pairings for everyone, correct?

In that case, all the kids are already getting what they need, and adding ALL the classes isn't actually improving anything very much at all.

So the considerably greater stats Morgan gets from a second-gen parent outweighs the additional classes for someone who probably has everything they need already.

Just my 2¢.

Yeah,it really is a personal preference thing though. The Avatar is a badass parent like that. Neither way is wrong. Its just do you want two kids operating together on a divine level, or only one unit that could probably kill a god alone without overmuch trouble?

Personally, I did neither XD. Married Lon'qu. Lemme tell ya, "Astra" and "Swordfaire" make for greeeaat innuendos.

Edited by Ikorus

3rd Gen Morgan all the way for both genders of MU.

It's less getting "two Morgans" and more of getting "two of the non-Morgan Child".

Look at it this way: Stat Boosters in older FEs without infinite levels: Where do they go? To the strongest units- why? To make the best better. This goes farther than bringing up a weak area, especially when you're not gaining by doing so.

In FeMU's case it's really bad to go for two, because Chrom's Mods destroy Morgan, and Lucina doesn't really get anything useful out of "All Classes", and you gimp another child, namely Inigo while doing so. And RFK isn't that great: Of the Lord Inheritance Skills, Aether has way more use (Better for Proc Consistency until very high skill levels, and then even after that point, Aether is such a strong Proc on its own, it still is better as a whole)... and if you -really- want that RFK on Morgan, Chrom!Inigo is strictly better than Chrom for it.

Edited by Airship Canon

I don't like pairing MU with the children characters, but I do have a reason (if a slightly weird reason) for it. If other characters in the first generation could support the children characters (even if not marry them), I wouldn't mind MU being paired with the children so much. But with the exception of Lucina and Nah who can support with Tiki, none of the children can support with anyone but their parents and the other children, and MU. It kind of bothers me to some degree that MU is the only person who can so much SUPPORT with both generation, and he is very definitely a first generation character.

Plus, there's that time traveling element that always gives me a headache. I don't play for maximum stats or anything like that, so I just pair who I like, and I really don't feel like pairing MU with the children except for the supports, because I am horribly OCD.

Personally, I think it's a lot stranger to marry Ricken than say, Inigo or Yarne, but whatever. I never had Ricken marry unless it was for support gallery (and still then I felt really strange).

I've never had a male MU so far (wow, I can't believe that! I actually haven't yet... Gotta get on that), so I can't say I've done one or the other yet, but... I'll probably marry a first-gen character for two kids. I dunno, seems like fun to have two kids.

Although I prefer to be a mother with my one little momma's boy Morgan.

EDIT: Oh, but Emmeryn... I'd probably go for Emmeryn. So first-gen, one kid.

Edited by Valorous_Roland

I don't ever marry any of my avatars to 2nd Gen characters, simply because it feels... morally wrong, in my opinion. Whenever the Male Avatar talks to one of the female children characters that he's not the father of, it feels veerrry pedophilatic (lol made a new word) in nature, even if it's body size 2 it just seems odd and strange.

Same goes with the female avatar, make her seem like a cougar on the hunt >_>

I don't ever marry any of my avatars to 2nd Gen characters, simply because it feels... morally wrong, in my opinion. Whenever the Male Avatar talks to one of the female children characters that he's not the father of, it feels veerrry pedophilatic (lol made a new word) in nature, even if it's body size 2 it just seems odd and strange.

Same goes with the female avatar, make her seem like a cougar on the hunt >_>

Dang it. I hated the thought of 2nd gen pairings with MU too until you said that...

I just don't see where the problem is. I guess I'm just too used to time travel in the books I read (although I'm not that familiar with it).

If it's not right for Avatar to be able to marry second-gen, what makes it better when a dragon who's been around for several thousands of years marries Avatar?

Or you could think about it this way: if the kids can't marry people who aren't their biological age, then who would they marry? People who are born in the same year they were? Congrats, you've got a ~20-year age gap. (I can't reasonably expect them to marry only other time-travelers for any reason other than gameplay).

Personally, I think it's a lot stranger to marry Ricken than say, Inigo or Yarne, but whatever. I never had Ricken marry unless it was for support gallery (and still then I felt really strange).

I agree.

The Avatar is what, 20, maybe 25, years old?

Ricken, Donnel, and Lissa are almost certainly younger than many of the kids, and I haven't heard anyone call marrying them "morally wrong" for a long time.

And speaking of cougars, what exactly is Nowi, then?

Personally, I think time travel just breaks my brain. It's apparently been proven impossible and yet there are still so many stories on it and whatnot. Lucina and the other kids changing history may well have affected the circumstances of their own birth, but of course no one wants to talk about that because again, time travel breaks your brain.

I've gotten over the "squick" factor of marrying the kids, although one thing still tremendously bothers me. The "children" aren't really children and definitely older than characters like Lissa and Ricken. However, they are all so seriously screwed up they still have a children's mentality. I already find it incredibly awkward that parents who have not had their kids yet can suddenly act so motherly or fatherly to their kid from the future. Parenthood is not a switch that can just be turned on the moment a kid appears. And especially not one that's already a teenager. How much weirder would it be for this time traveling kid who's already shown in their supports that they still see their same-age parents as their parents and act like a "child" around them, who is suddenly saying to a third generation Morgan "take all the time you need, dear" and acting like a parent themselves?

Talk about awkward.

The Avatar is what, 20, maybe 25, years old?

Ricken, Donnel, and Lissa are almost certainly younger than many of the kids, and I haven't heard anyone call marrying them "morally wrong" for a long time.

And speaking of cougars, what exactly is Nowi, then?

Well, the children are from the future, so if they were to grow up, and THEN meet Chrom's group, it would be odd to marry them.

The children weren't even born yet, besides Lucina, so the time MU would be like 40, the children would be around 15 or 16, in there teens.

Wouldn't that be a little weird?

Personally, I think time travel just breaks my brain. It's apparently been proven impossible and yet there are still so many stories on it and whatnot. Lucina and the other kids changing history may well have affected the circumstances of their own birth, but of course no one wants to talk about that because again, time travel breaks your brain.

Actually, FE13 makes its time travel incredibly easy, because it's not screwing with causality, and so avoids temporal paradoxes.

So I'd say FE13 subscribes to either multiple timelines or branching universes (which incidentally is what Legend of Zelda uses). I'd say multiple universes is more likely, since we have the Outrealm Gate bringing in other Avatars and whatnot, and allows everyone's games to all be equally "canon".

(For the record, almost all of the other scenarios listed in that article are more brain-breaking than those two I mentioned).

I've gotten over the "squick" factor of marrying the kids, although one thing still tremendously bothers me. The "children" aren't really children and definitely older than characters like Lissa and Ricken. However, they are all so seriously screwed up they still have a children's mentality. I already find it incredibly awkward that parents who have not had their kids yet can suddenly act so motherly or fatherly to their kid from the future. Parenthood is not a switch that can just be turned on the moment a kid appears. And especially not one that's already a teenager. How much weirder would it be for this time traveling kid who's already shown in their supports that they still see their same-age parents as their parents and act like a "child" around them, who is suddenly saying to a third generation Morgan "take all the time you need, dear" and acting like a parent themselves?

And characters like Ricken and Nowi and such don't have a kid's mentality? I agree that the support conversations are rather stupid, what with the sudden attitude change, but there are many characters who make it seem just as weird as some of the kids (although I do agree that it is generally worse with a 3rd-gen Morgan).

But yeah, I concede that the generic supports make things rather strange, especially when 3rd-gen Morgan is involved.

Well, the children are from the future, so if they were to grow up, and THEN meet Chrom's group, it would be odd to marry them.

The children weren't even born yet, besides Lucina, so the time MU would be like 40, the children would be around 15 or 16, in there teens.

Wouldn't that be a little weird?

I don't think anyone was talking about marrying the kids who were born in the same timeline Avatar was. I was talking about marrying the kids who travelled back in time and were basically the same physical age as Avatar.

So while it would be weird, it is rather irrelevant to what I was saying.

Actually, it isn't irrelevant, because as I was saying earlier, if the kids could only marry people born in the same year they were, at least one of them would have that issue - even if they married each other as much as possible, which seems rather unlikely - since there's an odd number of kids.

Edited by Euklyd