Returning fan favorites from the previous game, a new trend?

Jedi

He has been quoted as recommending to IS' team a "simple" story in order to reach a larger audience though, so he probably was attempting to make this closer in style to his more mainstream work, which means episodic. The problem often pointed out of chapters without plot relevance to them would fit very well if he was aiming at an episodic structure.

Do you have a source for that quote? According to the Iwata Asks he and the Fates team did, he was brought on to make the story more complex and to address player complaints about Awakening's story, and the that was the purpose of the whole kingdom split. YMMV as to whether they succeeded, but that was their goal.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This talk about Kibayashi reminds that Slime Garon, which is considered by many one of the biggest flaws in the story, was Kibayashi's idea.

I wonder if a third country was his idea as well.

This talk about Kibayashi reminds that Slime Garon, which is considered by many one of the biggest flaws in the story, was Kibayashi's idea.

I wonder if a third country was his idea as well.

I kind of wonder about that. We know that Slime Garon was his idea, but I wonder if it was executed the way he intended it to be.

There's so much we don't know.

You are by far one of the most decent "bad fans" I've met, to be quite frank; at least, you direct your complaints towards the game and not to the people you have disagreements with, it seems. Most of the bad fans I refer to are the kinds who, when you make a remark that is in any way disagreeable, they turn to insulting you and telling you to kill yourself or some other unnecessarily atrocious comment. And there are bad veterans, but usually their problem is several flavors and shades of elitism, which I have grown accustomed to (although it's still really stupid). Sometimes they'll devolve into insults and suicide demands, but a lot of FE fans, I find, aren't like that; they only think they're more intelligent than the "scrubs" who like/started with Awakening and Fates. All you have is an opinion about a medium that you're vocal about, which is something a lot of people have. If people hate you for not liking the stuff they like, then it's too bad they can't learn to have disagreements or accept that people have different tastes.

Why thank you. It's always nice to hear I'm not a total asshole!

I kind of wonder about that. We know that Slime Garon was his idea, but I wonder if it was executed the way he intended it to be.

There's so much we don't know.

If they failed to execute one of the most important characters in two out of three routes, it shows complete incompetence. If this is how they wanted Garon to be, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with the story.

I don't like either of these possibilities.

Do you have a source for that quote? According to the Iwata Asks he and the Fates team did, he was brought on to make the story more complex and to address player complaints about Awakening's story, and the that was the purpose of the whole kingdom split. YMMV as to whether they succeeded, but that was their goal.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-fire-emblem-needs-to-continue-its-mini-renaissance

I asked Maeda what Kibayashi brought to the table in terms of the scenario development. "We got the hint that the story has to be simple and easy to understand from a lot of people who will be playing the game, and that's sort of the idea that comes from the fact that he has been involved in a lot of stories, or manga, which is typically read by a lot of people," Maeda says. "So... to address a big crowd... it's sort of the idea that Mr. Kibayashi brought to us, and that has influences us in working on the story for this game."

Definately no. I think it would be nice to see a stand alone game with NONE of the Fates' cast. Or Awakening's cast for that matter. I think it would be nice to see some characters that are their own charaters for once.

Except Kibayashi didn't actually say that? That's Maeda talking about what they got from fan feedback, and how Kibayashi wrote a story that he felt addressed that fan feedback, and that would appeal to a wider audience. Specifically "We got the hint that the story has to be simple and easy to understand from a lot of people who will be playing the game."

Edited by AzureSen

Except Kibayashi didn't actually say that? That's Maeda talking about what they got from fan feedback, and how Kibayashi wrote a story that he felt addressed that fan feedback, and that would appeal to a wider audience. Specifically "We got the hint that the story has to be simple and easy to understand from a lot of people who will be playing the game."

That "from" makes it confusing, but considering the overall context (the question about his input, the "that's sort of the idea that comes from the fact that he has been involved in a lot of stories", "So... to address a big crowd... it's sort of the idea that Mr. Kibayashi brought to us", the way they talked about an audience that "will be playing" the game, rather than referencing playtests) - he was the one that recommended them to go with a simple and easy to understand story, assuming that it'd be what the largest audience would want, not based on some feedback of an unreleased game.

Of course, either way, it's not a direct quote, unlike I initially claimed.

Edited by NeonZ

Whatever the case, it's complete irony that their attempts at making a "simple" story arguably ended up as one of the more convoluted stories in the franchise.

Even Radiant Dawn, which was kind of overstuffed, was more straight-forward than Fates was.