Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 25: The Road to Jerdon

Phoenix

On The Road

It wasn't long before the others had gotten themselves ready to travel with the Jerdonians. It couldn't have been soon enough thought some of the staff, all annoyed to some degree for varying reasons. Enough violence and other manner of discord had broken out during their stay that otherwise wouldn't have, and even though they were compensated for most of the actual damage to the inn, some of them couldn't look at the imprint in the flooring, the couple dozen knives sticking on the outside of the door, and the blood on the floor in one of the now vacant rooms and not wonder how they survived the tenants from hell.

The group was out of Worthington within a half hour, passing through the west gate and making their way west, toward Jerdon. As midday approached, they continued along the road toward a forest that the road went straight through.

Edited by Phoenix

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esphyr walked along with the others, glancing around every now and again. They were just travelling, after all, so there wasn't much holding her attention. Being half-altert was suiting her just fine. At least they were finally moving again, so she really couldn't complain about the normalicy of the traverse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, Raemond got his ride and Lantos got his exersize, as he'd hoped, though the situation wasn't exactly as expected. ("Expect the unexpected." It seems as though that should be my general attitude when I'm out here while in this company.) Indeed, something he hadn't expected was Beau's sudden willingness to ride with him. Lantos wasn't entirely pleased with carrying two passengers and their meagar belongings, but he bore them all the same. Something easy to expect, however, was that Heinz was riding right nearby, staying true to his duty of monk-watching. A tether between the horses hadn't been necessary since it was unlikely Raemond could get away if he tried, what with being more towards the center of the caravan. And they knew that he knew that if he attempted escape, he wouldn't survive to attempt again, seeing as he would be suspected of supplying his fellow Reformists with information or aid of some sort.

He took all of this in stride, however, though his headache from the crimson weapons' stench remained. (I suppose now is as good a time as any to familiarize myself with their individual presenses...) Shifting his eyes, he began to try to discern which of the group wielded a demonic weapon. Heinz didn't -- he could tell that already -- Beau obviously didn't, he knew Morgan did... Who else? No threat came from above that he could sense, so the pegasus knights and the wyvern rider weren't pleagued... He knew the boy riding alongside the girl who had slain Althea was cursed with a demonic weapon. The woman near them...was too close to the boy. Raemond couldn't quite tell, but it felt like there was only one presence from over there. So, she had to be clean.

It was odd, though... back at the inn, Beau had exited and told Raemonf that he would be riding with him. When Raemond had asked why he hadn't wanted to travel with his friend, Beau had simply repeated the command and left to wait -- fleeing the conversation, no doubt. The question remained, though: why had Beau chosen to ride with Raemond -- whom he was openly agitated with -- instead of his friend, whom he openly showed comrodory for? It was puzzling, but Raemond left it alone for the time being, not feeling particularly inclined to question the young teenager with someone watching him.

Beau was quite moody, besides that. He'd paid for the group's stay, as he'd promised to the innkeeper, but he hadn't expected them to cause such a fuss nor to cost as much as they had. (My coinpurse is too light...) It was the complaint he chose to brood upon for the time being since the other contributer to his foul mood was somewhat irrational and stung more. It was also the key factor leading up to his choosing to ride with Raemond. Raemond was one of the only others in his order and was apparently looking after him. He would do for one to share a horse with. He didn't much feel like talking, however, and he got the feeling that Raemond would rather ride in silence as well.

Evil plot afoot.

It had been a bit of time, but the assassins finally moved towards the forest where the group was heading. Geraro was leading them but Njordjenka noted that Ferris was not with them, which was odd. Come to think of it, he hadn't seen Ferris in quite awhile. He was always a quiet man, but he decided to come out here to oversee the operation and for him not to be present was....odd to say the least.

"...Geraro-"

"That's Lord Geraro to you," the dark druid interrupted.

"....Lord Geraro. Where's Lord Ferris? He should be here to make sure everything runs smoothly."

"He's ill. He's been sick for awhile so he couldn't make it down here," Geraro said impatiently, waving his hand dismissively.

"I find that hard to believe..." Njordjenka said quietly, not trusting the clown a bit. "He looked fine when we got to the town..."

"Are you accusing me of lying?" Geraro asked, smiling. "It wouldn't be very smart or healthy of you to continue doing that you know. Anyway he's too ill to come here. I'd know that..."

Flashback

"I see. So you think they might be headed in this direction?" asked Ferris. He and Geraro were standing in an alley to conduct their talk. It was night outside which made it the perfect time to make sure there would be no eavesdroppers.

"Well it's very likely. If they continue on the path they were on when Njord said he amubshed them, they'll probably be pass through here. To get here though, they'll need to pass through the forest and there, we have a multitude of ways to end their lives."

"Well I see you've put at least a modicum of thought into this. I trust you will pull this off? I will be supervising you and if you screw this up, both you and Njordjenka are both getting the chop. He's failed already and after that rampage you made a short while ago...you're lucky I decided to let you live."

"Yes yes. I'm aware. And we should head back to the inn," Geraro said casually, brushing off the threat. Just as they started walking, Geraro fired off a small ball of dark magic at Ferris's head, taking him so by surprise he couldn't react to it. The magic killed him instantly, and fortunately for Geraro, there was little enough noise that few would hear what happened. Even if somebody did, Geraro could've taken care of the situation.

"Correction. Maybe I should go back to the inn. But only in a little while. You and me are going to the forest for an errand," said Geraro, first checking to see if anybody was coming or was out. Then he grabbed Ferris's body and ran off to the forest....

"Just don't worry about it," Geraro said to Njordjenka. "Now you too," he said pointing at two swordsmen nearby. "Yeah you. You go scope out the forest and report back ok? Now hop to it!"

As soon as the swordsmen headed into the forest, nobody, Geraro included moved for several minutes. Finally Geraro broke the silence.

"You there mage, you will set the forest on fire," Geraro ordered pointing to the sage nearby.

"Sir? What...what are you doing? You just ordered those men in there. If you set the forest on fire, you've had sent them to their deaths," Njordjenka said horrified.

"Oh I'm aware."

"There's no need to waste lives sir. We don't even know for sure if our targets are in the forest. If they aren't, you know how much shit we'll be in for burning down a forest?"

"I'm prepared for that. Anyway you boys have worked so hard. You deserve so much for all your efforts. Like a bonfire. Anybody bring any raw meat? We could have a nice meal here too."

"....:facepalm:"

Scouts

"Shit man....I don't trust that clown. Shouldn't we all head down? I don't see why we have to."

"C'mon Carl. Show some manliness. There's nothing to be afraid of. It's a simple scouting task."

"But that clown..."

"If you don't stop whining, I'll give you something to be scared of."

"Jeez man....you don't trust him either Leonard?"

"What do you think? You should be glad we're away from him. He gives me the willies."

"...yeah. Guess you're righ-ooof!" Just as he was about to finish the sentence, Carl had tripped over the corpse of Ferris, who was surrounded by flies and was already in a state of decay.

"....Oh shit. Those wounds on his head. You don't think-"

"I know for sure. The clown murdered him."

"Oh lordy....we can't let him know we found the corpse and-do you smell....smoke?"

"*sniff* *sniff* Yeah. Now that you mention I do and....oh my god! Is that a flame?" Leonard cried out, his legs trembling. He knew the clown was crazy but he didn't think he was crazy enough to set fire to the forest with them in it.

"Oh my god! Run for your life Carl!" With that, the two mercenaries ran as fast as they could, but the flames were spreading quickly and ate away at a branch near the two, causing it to fall and crush them.

The Clown

"So who's up for some deer meat? If anyone has some, don't be shy and put it in the fire!"

Njord meanwhile, continued to bury his face in his palm.

Edited by Dark Sage

Morgan's thoughts were heavy on her mind, mostly wondering how Isotov was faring. He could be dead right now and I would not even know. Would the mercenaries have the foresight to grab Proxima? In the middle of a battle? The group had meandered their way a short distance through the forest when Morgan saw smoke rising and a branch catch fire in the distance.

"We need to get out of here! Get moving or become a charred corpse!" Morgan shouted towards the group, moving at top speed away from the fire.

Luc Altair

It hadn't taken long for the need to leave finally took. Luc helped Princess Charlotte those others he could and set off alongside them as things had become. Unlike a few earlier times, he hadn't chosen to take a leading position. He was not as familiar with the roads in Septimus as he should be in the first place, but heading towards Jerdon left what little he knew as nothing. Better for a Jerdonian to take point for this travel.

The Captain from Directus looked around the group. He kept himself from voicing any complaints with the formation, but with each successive combat the group had taken in stressed his goodwill towards it. The events that had kept them through each battle would eventually, stop, or turn away, and what then? They were strung together by the thinest of margins with few good graces to go around. Irina and Isotov had been taken away by force with nary a word against it. Once a death--a death that mattered to them at least, Luc recalled bitter memories--occurred what would happen? Something... he could use.

He kept looking around the area, running over plans of how to improve formation and how to break it. As he stared at one of the furthest forward he saw something. It was.. smoke? Morgan was the quicker on this it seemed and screamed out a warning. But a fire? Here? Coincidence was a fool's wishing, this was probably planned. "Keep your eyes about and shields to the woods!" he shouted. "Enemies may be nearby!" Luc yanked Thunder around and charged to the rear of the group, shouting them forward all the while. "I'll handle the rear, go, go!"

The Fargo

"I was lookin' forward to getting home and all the nice eating." The carriage-driver who wasn't aware if he had passengers or not sighed. Home was just over the horizon, but he was marching off to go play revolutionary for some cause he didn't care for.

"What? Fire! Ah, my carriage!" the man complained. They weren't good at speed at all! With a tear in his eye he cut his poor carriage loose.

A Paul

Something smelled funny. Well, something that wasn't the stinkpots he was stalking anyway. Did their noses work? Or did all the horse shit kill'em all? Hmmm, actually that line of reasoning had merit! Once they became the enemy he could run some experiments on how best to slowly dull a nose. Well, some more experiments. They might even live!

It had been an uneventful enough ride; Arrin had rode alongside Tessa, while Kelas had kept mostly to the edges of the group, looking out for potential attacks. The smell of woodsmoke had gotten to the point where she was beginning to suspect more than just a nearby cabin, but before she could voice her concerns, Morgan called out, confirming them. Kelas dropped into the group alongside Arrin and turned Francis around, slapping the gelding on the rump. "Go!"

Francis took off like a creature possessed; the smell and sounds of burning had already set him on edge, and now he was well and truly spooked. Arrin could only cling to his saddle as the gelding bolted for the edge of the woods; there was no chance to turn around to make sure Tessa and Kelas and Beau were all right.

Kelas quickly looked around the group: everyone was already mounted and beginning to flee, except... the carriage. The driver had already realized the futility of trying to get it out of the woods and cut the harnesses of the horses drawing it, but she didn't know if anyone was inside it or not... she circled back and reached down to pull open a door, checking to see if Charlotte or anybody needed help.

Tobe had tagged along miserably; unsure of what to do now that he was miles away from what he could maybe consider to be home, and having followed a false lead, he'd decided to keep following the group since he didn't have anywhere else to go. It seemed they were destined for trouble, though, and he found himself clinging to his horse's neck as she bolted from the threat of fire. If they were going to get into another fight, he thought, couldn't they at least do it somewhere that had trees he could hide in that weren't on fire?

Given the circumstances, Raemond thought Heinz wouldn't mind his taking off. Besides, protecting his sister's old student was the highest priority. So, steering Lantos in a sharp turn, he urged the dappled gelding back towards Worthington, following the rest of the group's example. Lantos just wondered why he always had to be running so quickly. Sure he could -- he was fit and trained to travel swiftly along known roads with various riders -- but this was simply ridiculous. It wasn't normal, that was for sure. The tension in the herd and the smoke in the air hadn't been stress-relieving at all, either. At least his rider seemed to have the consistent sense to flee dangerous things.

Beau was somewhat startled by the sudden turnabout announced uncerimoniously by Morgan. People were being sensible and following her example to flee the fire. Apparently, Luc had the impression that they would be engaged in combat soon. This seemed likely since they were under attack quite often. This did little to adjust the young heir's mood, however, only making him more alert to his surroundings and increasing his resentment for the day's events only a little more. (My staff may be needed more than my light. Curse whoever made this day worse...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as she was alerted, Esphyr stopped in her tracks, pulled out her sword, turned and began running along with the others. (There's not even a carriage for me to pull into... Great. Keeping up with everyone won't be easy. Well, not like I have a choice right now. I'll just turn and fight if I have to, fire or no.)

Edited by Mercakete

There wasn't much going on throughout the trip. Everyone was quiet, including the normally talkative Sadie. She thought about what Reika had said to her back at the inn about the group and Alf seemed to confirm that they attracted a lot of danger to themselves.

But a lot of life's excitement comes from danger. If there was no danger, life would be so boring.

But as soon as Morgan called out that there was a fire in the woods, all three of them turned and saw a flame advancing towards them. Sadie didn't waste any time and immediately bolted. She ran through all the bushes and ignored all the cuts she was getting on her ankles and on her face from the tree branches. All the while, she ran so hard and fast, she felt her lungs were going to burst.

I didn't mean this amount of danger though.

--------------------

Pyrophobic

As soon as he saw the fire, Alf's eyes grew wide as he remembered what happened when he fought Ruby and when he was attacked by that female psycho fire mage. There was no way he wanted to experience that sort of pain all over again.

Two times...suvive...three...times...charm? Don't....wanna....

Gasping and panting, Alf ran the quickest out of everybody, easily overtaking Sadie within a short amount of time.

------------------------

Reika

Oh come off it. How many times has this group attracted fire? Hell, how many forests have been destroyed by fire when they were in them? This cannot be a coincidence.

Alf and Sadie seemed to panic immediately, Alf especially. Luc warned that this was probably done by enemies and Reika silently agreed. Summoning Calamity, she joined the others to flee the woods.

------------------------

Just Clowning Around

"I do wish they'd hurry up and come out. These targets of ours are so inconsiderate."

"....Geraro? You do realize our informant is in there right? I thought you were busy lusting after her."

"Oh Reika? Don't worry about Njord. I'm quite aware."

"You know she's going to DIE if she gets trapped under there. I don't care but if you want her so badly..."

"Eh...well to make an omelet, you have to crack a few eggs. She was going to die anyway."

"...That's true..."

Edited by Dark Sage

CHASE! well more like FLEEING

Things were going slightly-less-painfully as time worn. The archer went through the motions of readying halfheartedly after hearing the news from Jasmine. Everyone crowding around, moving, talking, the whines of the horses and damn wyverns and that rickity carriage. The only thing saving him from tearng off his ears was that it only lasted a few seconds before the sound was dissipated by the wide-open. Still kept hurting though.

He clung a bit too tightly to Ava with one hand, and not-tightly enough with his other to as they marched on. It was only when Morgan shouted fire that he took notice of the outside again. Dammit this was gonna suck! He followed after everyone else breaking away.

Elyisimians

Up until that point of the trip, Viveka had been traveling on the ground, having Susann walk amongst the other horses, and a fair distance from Bellerophon at that. It didn't don on her that Susann thought she was doing this on purpose and not being mean however. In fact, Viv just didn't feel like flying. She hardly ever did which was why most of the time when they were on the road, she and Susann were generally on hoof with the others. Jasmine however was almost always airborne, scouting around.

During her bit of scouting, Jasmine spotted rising smoke above the forest and called out to any other fliers who were up there with her, warning them. She had planned to warn the rest of the group next, but as she began a descent to find a wider opening in the trees that Illiam could get through without brushing up against any branches and warn them, they took off, most of them at high speed.

Jasmine: Mmm, I think they already know.

She hung her head and sighed, not certain where to rendezvous with them. It wasn't long before Viveka appeared from the forest flying up past the trees and rising to meet her.

Viveka: Hey, the others are moving out of the forest. Someone out there is using a fire attack, I'll bet. We need to try and find them before the group gets ambushed, okay? Hey Tas ... wait ... he left with the Zaftrans, didn't he?

Jasmine: Yeah.

Viveka: ... great timing :dry:

Jasmine: I'll double my efforts, Captain.

Charlotte

Charlotte had been thinking about what she planned to do upon her return to Jerdon, but her thoughts were interrupted when the carriage had suddenly stopped. Is Sir Fargo having some sort of problem? she thought before the door to the carriage was opened, Kelas behind it.

Charlotte looked out to see everyone fleeing. "Something terrible is happening again, right?" she asked Kelas. Oh Goddess, if it's not one thing it's another...

Tristan

Tristan had decided to take Bellerophon flying and was rather enjoying the peace in quiet before Jasmine mentioned something about a fire. Viveka flew up and was lamenting that Tas has left.

"Well, uh, if you need something done requiring a flier I can get on it, Captain," Tristan said to her, trying to sound as much like a military official as he could.

"Forest's on fire up ahead, come on, we're getting out of here," Kelas replied grimly, holding out a hand to help Charlotte up. She glanced over her shoulder: the flames were getting closer, and quickly. A look to the opposite direction showed her that at least Arrin was safely beyond the edge of the trees, though the grassy hills past the forest could catch as well if the weather had been dry. As Charlotte scrambled up behind her, she kneed Amari forward, bolting to get out from under the cover of the trees.

Arrin finally managed to slow Francis, but could not convince the gelding to turn back. Worriedly he looked around; he wasn't sure what was going on, or if everyone was all right. He had no idea what was going on, so as he tried to get Francis to turn back and only succeeded in circling, he could only fret.

Peggies

Viveka: There's three of us so that should do I guess. Everyone else is running around like headless chickens which is probably what the enemy was aiming for. Whoever they are, we've got to flag them before they can ambush the party. So search different areas around the forest and steer clear of the rising smoke. If you find them warn the others as soon as you can. Don't even think about engaging them alone, just warn the others. If we get caught off guard now, we're going to have some serious casualties.

Jasmine: Okay, I'll search north of the entrance and report back soon.

She quickly flew off heading north just like she said, and Viveka began looking toward the entrance to the forest, noticing the first party members emerging.

Viveka: ... if they're going to ambush us, it's got to be in this general area ....

Susann was excited, that the magnificent one was nearby again, but all the fire was ruining the occasion. The stench of smoke and embers was everywhere and at this rate, some evil thing might show up to set them ablaze too. If not for the stallion's presence she probably would have been worried, but for the moment she was simply bothered.

Heinz:

The man rode quietly on Ralf as the group headed towards Jerdon, a place Heinz had no objection to, but at the same time- Would prefer staying in Septimus myself, though I suppose Jerdon isn't quite as much of a warzone anymore, he reflected. Food's not bad either. Wish I was more familiar with the area, thinking back through past memories.

It struck Heinz as odd that the Crimson Weapons were bothering to help out an unrelated cause in the first place however; it seemed Helios had gotten his way. The thief was little inclined to be involved, following around a revolution that would undoubtedly run into opposition from Jace. Doesn't have anything to do with demons or the Lord, we're only here on the whim of that fool wind mage, he mocked, wrinkling his nose as the smell of smoke became more obvious.

Smoke? Morgan raised the alarm as Heinz regained his senses and scowled to himself, turning Ralf around into a run. Should've noticed it earlier, glancing back once more to monitor the progress of the flames. The monk and priest had fled as well. Heinz gave Ralf a swift kick, looking around for potential enemies as they exited the forest.

Conrad:

The general had aimed to talk to Bellmire before the party had entered the forest, but the Templar monk the boy was riding along with had stayed Conrad's plan. He wanted to relay the news directly to the young priest, but there were too many people close by who could potentially listen in.

At Morgan's alert, the axe knight directed his warhorse in the opposite direction with surprising speed, keeping an eye on Beau.

Edited by the_whistler

It wasn't long before the group made it out of the burning forest. Unfortunately for them they got into Geraro and his men's line of sight and within a short while, the made it to Morgan and company.

"Oh Reika my love," Geraro said while blowing a kiss to her. "Nice to see you managed to stay alive." Grinding her teeth, Reika raised her knives towards him.

"Oh don't give me that attitude. Just because you're all going to die doesn't mean you have to be so rude about it. C'mon. Smile for me. I love it when you smile."

"You're going to die now. You realize that? I, and certainly these creeps, are pretty eager to beat the crap out of you and your men."

Njordjenka meanwhile ignored the banter from them and examined the group when he found among them was...Elle? That was unexpected. He hadn't quite expected to see Elle alive. She was no doubt their prisoner and unarmed. If that was so, he'd probably have to spend most of the battle rescuing her, but it would be worth it.

"Ok then. Time to send you to the goddess. Up and at 'em boys!" Geraro ordered, the assassins beginning their advance.

Battle Start

Geraro (Boss)

HP 18, Mt 7, Hit 7, AS 6, Avoid 7, Def 6, Res 6. Skills: Overcast, Luna

Njordjenka (Miniboss)

HP 12, Mt 6, Hit 5, AS 5, Avoid 6, Def 4, Res 6. Skills: Prayer, Arcane Power

Fighter x4

HP 15, Mt 5, Hit 4, AS 3, Avoid 4, Def 4, Res 1

Myrmidon x2

HP 12, Mt 3, Hit 6, AS 5, Avoid 5, Def 4, Res 2

Troubadour x3

HP 9, Mt 2, Mag 4, Hit 4, AS 6, Avoid 6, Def 2, Res 2

Fire Sage x1

HP 12, Mt 5, Hit 5, AS 5, Avoid 6, Def 4, Res 4. Skill: Arcane Power

Warrior x2

HP 18, Mt 6, Hit 4, AS 4, Avoid 6, Def 5, Res 1. Carries Iron Axe and Iron Bow.

Player Phase

Luc Altair

If this was a trap as Luc theorized, then any enemy confrontation would be at the edge of the forest to maximum the chances of pushing the group back into the flames. That theory was proven true as well, as that despicable group and their foul Druid of a leader barred their way. Even that stooge Luc had seen twice before was there. This would be the last time. The paladin charged into the fray of combat immediately, striking at the advancing screen of fighters. His halberd and Thunder's speed proved the better and the knight's attack left the foe barely able to stand while Luc was untouched.

Luc stat shifts 2 SKL to 2 Def. (3 SKL, 8 Def.)

Luc has 15/15 HP.

Luc attacks Fighter D.

(Luc rolls 3,6,4)

Luc attacks and deals 7 damage. ((6Roll+5Str-4Def) = 7 Damage.)

Fighter D has 8/15 HP.

(Fighter D rolls 3,1,6)

Fighter D deals 0 damage. ((1Roll+5Str-8Def) = 0 Damage)

Luc has 15/15 HP.

(Fighter D has 8/15 HP.)

Luc has 15/15 HP.

Luc doubles Fighter D.

(Luc rolls 4,2,1)

Luc attacks and deals 3 damage. ((2Roll+5Str-4Def) = 3 Damage.)

Fighter D has 5/15 HP.

Luc has 15/15 HP.

Luc adepts Fighter D.

(Luc rolls 5,2,1)

Luc attacks and deals 3 damage. ((2Roll+5Str-4Def) = 3 Damage.)

Fighter D has 2/15 HP.

Luc earns 5 EXP.

CHASE!

The smoke stung his eyes, so Chase buried his head as best he could. It made steering a royal pain, but it sure hurt a lot less. Glancing up, the archer saw a break in the woods and steered Ava towards it. But it wasn't a break, there were enemies! The archer brought up his normal bow and sent a few arrows at the closest enemy. The damage looked superficial, but he didn't need to worry about that!

Chase stat shifts 2 SKL to 2 SPD. (3 SKL, 9 SPD)

Chase has 12/12 HP.

Chase attacks Fighter C.

(Chase rolls 6,2,5)

Chase attacks and deals 2 damage. ((2Roll+4Str-4Def) = 2 Damage.)

Fighter C has 13/15 HP.

Chase cannot be hit.

(Fighter C rolls )

Fighter C deals damage. ((3Roll+5Str-4Def) = 0 Damage)

Chase has 12/12 HP.

(Fighter C has 13/15 HP.)

Chase has 12/12 HP.

Chase doubles Fighter C.

(Chase rolls 2,3,1)

Chase attacks and deals 3 damage. ((3Roll+4Str-4Def) = 3 Damage.)

Fighter C has 10/15 HP.

Chase earns 5 EXP.

Edited by Script

Peggies

Jasmine hadn't made it far before Geraro's group came into view, and the two pegasus riders barely made it back to the party to warn them. There wasn't anything left to do now but fight however. Viveka ordered Jasmine to get back into the air and keep an eye out for any possible reinforcements while most everyone else fought.

Viveka activates Charisma.

Targets: Conrad and Derek (next two will be Tristan and Chase, depending on whether or not Chase is actually fighting)

OOC: It would be really weird having to explain charisma for her in plot :>_<:

Also not doing anything else this first phase, just making sure charisma is accounted for.

EDIT: Well clearly Chase is fighting :XD:

Edited by Phoenix

As the sudden ambush began, Aiya watched the attack from her vantage point. Seeing the axeman charging towards the frontline, Aiya pushed Ulfhrahn in to a sudden dive, brandishing her Zweihander as the sudden downward acceleration hit her.

"GRAH!"

Shouting a war cry, Aiya swung the heavy blade down on the doomed axe fighter, the force amassed by the divebomb causing the man to be smashed into pieces akin to a watermelon being attacked by a Reaver with a hammer. The man's axe was sent flying from his hand as it was used in a vain attempt to block the strike, and Aiya let out a pained groan as the unfortunate ricochet off of a stone caused the steel axe to slice into her shoulder as it whizzed by.

"Damn... what bad luck." She cursed, as she began to ascend to check the wound.

Battle. Battle sparked by the existence of these weapons... it was something Damian had not experienced in a decent while...

'This is my true test, isn't it? If I can handle this lance in the rigors of battle... that will be enough...'

The familiar crimson Aura wrapped itself about the Silver lance, shrouding his hand in a deathly aura. Opening his eyes with a flash of red and a toothy grin, Damian lunged at a nearby axeman. The blood red lance tore into his stomach, a fatal wound to be sure, as the man dropped his axe mid-counter.

"Relics of light and dark... the Lord and the Lady... twins in my hand, yet polar opposites... let me rule over this chaos, and strike my enemy down!"

A stinging sensation ran through his body as Damian swung the Gungnir held firmly in his other hand, impaling the fighter's heart, as the man fell to the ground.

The burning in his lungs increased, as Damian felt the conflicting auras assailing his body... but this power, this pain... it felt... right somehow.

Aiya(3,6,3) 7 hit vs. 4 evd, hit! 15 Mt - 4 def, 11 Damage!

FighterA(6,5,4) 9 hit vs. 8 Evd, hit! 10 Mt - 8 Def, 2 damage!

Aiya(2,4,1) 6 hit vs. 4 Evd, hit! 13 Mt - 4 def, 9 Damage!

Aiya 16/18

Fighter A KO'd Roll

Damian(3,5,3) 8 hit vs. 4 Evd, hit! 13 Mt - 4 Def, 9 Damage!

Fighter(2,6,4) 6 hit vs. 9 Evd, miss!

Damian(6,2,1) 11 hit vs. 4 Evd, hit! 10 Mt - 4 Def, 6 Damage!

Damian 13/15

Fighter B KO'd Roll

Damian activates Charisma! Targetting Tessa and Esphyr

Edited by Ether

OOC: Adding Conrad momentarily + links.

Heinz:

The thief narrowed his eyes. That druid that tore that city apart looking for me before, isn't it? And Reika too, apparently. The other thunder mage certainly looks familiar, he noted, deciding not to draw attention to himself for the moment. Heinz threw two daggers in quick succession at a myrmidon (-2 -5 dmg Link), dodging a badly aimed sword swing in return (-0 dmg).

Heinz: 12/12 HP (+5 exp)

Myrm A: 5/12 HP

Conrad:

The general, upon seeing the enemies waiting for them, proceeded to summon his axe, striking a blow at the nearest opponent (-3 dmg Link). The agile sword-user quickly countered, unleashing flurry of blows upon his armor (-1 -0 dmg).

Conrad: 13/15 HP (+5 exp) CW sap, Daunt and Charisma active.

Myrm B: 9/12 HP

Edit: Myrm B: 8/12 HP, forgot to account for +1 MT.

Edited by the_whistler

Morgan sighed as she saw the enemies. The insane clown they had met back in Burgosas was here apparently. She thought it better to engage his men first and so she took out Midnight and blasted one of them.

(5,1,2) Hit. Warrior A takes 8 damage. (Morgan -1) Morgan +5 Exp

The man swung his axe in retaliation, but missed her.

(2,2,5)= Miss.

Morgan 11/12

Warrior A 10/18

Tristan flew around as per Viveka's orders, though to be honest he didn't know quite what he was looking for. Eventually, he spotted a battle going on and attacked one of the women riding a horse.

(4,1,3)= Hit. 2 damage.

(3,2,2)= Critical Hit! 4-4=0x2=1 damage. Tristan +5 Exp

Tristan 11/12

Troubadour A 7/9

"Let's get closer to the fighting. Someone is bound to need healing eventually..." Charlotte said to Kelas, gripping her staff.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Rushing forward, Esphyr engaged the enemy, deciding to let sleeping demonic swords lie. (First thing's first: I won't let those troubadors heal their allies.)

Esphyr attacks troubador B

((3+1)+2)-6 = 0 = miss!

The troubator's horse managed to move its rider out of the way enough that Esphyr's sword cut through open air. (Uh-oh... Blast it, blastitblastitblastit!!)

(4+5)-(5+1+1+1) = 1 = hit! (2+5)-4 = 3 Critical! 6 damage!

The troubador brought her -- ...no wait...his? Yes, this was a male troubador. -- sword down heavily onto Esphyr's shoulder in spite of her trying to duck away from the attack. (Blasted horsemen... They do have an advantage over those of us on the ground...) She was tempted to pull out ol' Bloody, but figured that would be both childish and unhelpful. In the meantime all she could hope to do was last long enough for one of the healers to help her with the bloody gash in her shoulder. It was all-too-close to her neck, but she preferred not to think about that.

Troubador B| 9/9

Esphyr 3/9

+5exp

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are those reformists with them?" Beau inquired as he caught sight of the troubadors.

Raemond shook his head as he replied, "No, I've never seen them before. They're not with us."

"Well, they're apparently hurting one of ours," the young heir responded, pulling a staff from his bag.

"What are you planning on doing? You can't just go into the fight," the Templar monk replied.

"It's a physic staff. I won't be rushing into anything stupid," Beau reassured, giving his old mentor's brother a somewhat offended glare before concentrating his magic and letting it flow through him and the physic staff as he'd done so many times before.

Beau heals Esphyr for 6HP

Esphyr 9/9

Beau 12/12

+8exp

Raemond decided to just watch after Beau. Maybe one of the demon-weapon wielders would become gravely injurred or something. ... But Beau seemed to be healing them, too, seeing as he just healed one of them. Ah well.

Edit: Fixed a typo

Edited by Mercakete

ENEMY PHASE

The troubadours spread themselves around the battlefield, healing their wounded allies. The rest of the enemies attacked the group, with little effect.

Fighter D 2/15 +4 HP

Myrm A 5/12 +4 HP

Troub A 7/9+ 4 HP

Myrm A attacks Heinz (3,6,4) Miss.

Myrm B attacks Conrad (3,1,3). 0 damage.

Warrior A attacks Morgan (2,3,3) Miss.

Warrior B attacks Damian (6,3,6) (10-8)= 2 damage

Fighter C attacks Chase (2,1,2) Miss.

Fighter D attacks Luc (1,6,1) Miss.

Fire Sage attacks Aiya. (3,2,1) Miss.

Troubadour A 9/9

Troubadour B 9/9

Troubadour C 9/9

Fighter A dead

Fighter B dead

Fighter C 10/15

Fighter D 6/15

Warrior A 10/18

Warrior B 18/18

Myrmidon A 9/12

Myrmidon B 9/12

Fire Sage 12/12

Njordjenka 12/12

Geraro 18/18

Luc Altair

The enemies counterattack had been weak and amateurish. Now was the time to press the attack! Luc charged at his former foe and threw all his might into the attack. It should have felled the fool with ease but some manner of force left the fighter alive. His counterattack was ugly, but Luc's temperaroy shock and bad position meant it grazed him. The damage would be superficial at best, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place! Taking aim again, Luc buried his halberd into the man's shoulder, and finally, he went down.

Luc stat shifts 2 SKL to 2 STR. (3 SKL, 7 STR)

Luc has 15/15 HP.

Luc attacks Fighter D.

(Luc rolls 4,1,4)

Luc attacks and deals 4 damage. ((1Roll+7Str-4Def) = 4 Damage.)

Fighter D has 2/15 HP.

(Fighter D rolls 2,1,3)

Fighter D deals 1 damage. ((1Roll+5Str-5Def) = 1 Damage)

Luc has 14/15 HP.

(Fighter D has 2/15 HP.)

Luc has 15/15 HP.

Luc doubles Fighter D.

(Luc rolls 2,4,3)

Luc attacks and deals 7 damage. ((4Roll+7Str-4Def) = 7 Damage.)

Fighter D has 0/15 HP.

Fighter D is defeated!

Luc earns 10 EXP.

CHASE!

It was still hard to see, but tee mounted archer saw one of the enemies heal! Those were the ones he should be going after! He summmoned his Crimson and shot at the healer, the twang of pain from firing shivering up his arm.

Chase stat shifts 2 DEF to 2 SPD. (2 DEF, 9 SPD)

Crimson.

Chase has 12/12 HP.

Chase attacks Troubadour B.

(Chase rolls 3,2,4)

CHARGE activates!

Chase attacks and deals 5 damage. ((2Roll+4Str+1Crim-2Def) = 5 Damage.)

Troubadour B has 4/9 HP.

Chase cannot be hit.

(Troubadour B rolls )

Troubadour B deals damage. ((3Roll+5Str-4Def) = 0 Damage)

Chase has 11/12 HP.

(Troubadour B has 13/15 HP.)

Chase has 11/12 HP.

Chase doubles Troubadour B.

(Chase rolls 3,3,4)

Charge activates AGAIN!

Chase attacks and deals 6 damage. ((3Roll+4Str+1Cri-2Def) = 6 Damage.)

Troubadour B has 0/9 HP.

Troubadour B is defeated!

Chase has 10/12 HP.

Chase earns 10 EXP.

But there were more to target! Putting aside all the pain the young archer took aim and feathered another of the enemies!

Chase CHARGES!

Chase stat shifts 2 DEF to 2 SPD. (2 DEF, 9 SPD)

Crimson.

Chase has 10/12 HP.

Chase attacks Troubadour C.

(Chase rolls 2,3,5)

Chase attacks and deals 6 damage. ((3Roll+4Str+1Crim-2Def) = 6 Damage.)

Troubadour C has 3/9 HP.

Chase cannot be hit.

(Troubadour C rolls )

Troubadour C deals damage. ((3Roll+5Str-4Def) = 0 Damage)

Chase has 11/12 HP.

(Troubadour C has 13/15 HP.)

Chase has 9/12 HP.

Chase doubles Troubadour C.

(Chase rolls 5,2,5)

Chase attacks and deals 5 damage. ((2Roll+4Str+1Cri-2Def) = 5 Damage.)

Troubadour C has 0/9 HP.

Troubadour C is defeated!

Chase has 8/12 HP.

Chase earns 10 EXP.

As the cause of the forest fire became clear, Arrin was thrown from the saddle as Francis decided to panic even more. At least he'd gotten better at falling off, he thought as he quickly got to his feet and looked around. Kelas and Charlotte were clear of the woods and heading for the battle, Beau was hanging back from the battle, and he didn't know where Tessa was still. He didn't know what to do... but an opportunity presented itself in the form of the fire sage pausing for a moment to take aim at someone in Kelas' general direction. Arrin got out his Elthunder tome and sent a bolt of lightning at the sage.

(4,1,1) Hit! Critical hit! Arrin does 8 damage!

[spoiler=math because I've gotten rusty](6 MAG + 1 WTA + 1 Kelas support - 4 RES) * 2 CRIT

The lightning hit its target, but didn't finish her off; with a curse, the sage turned to throw her spell at Arrin.

(1,4,6) Miss!

The sage's aim was off, and the fireball just sailed over Arrin's head.

--------------------------------------

Grimly Kelas nodded. Unfortunately, with Charlotte holding on to her, she couldn't shoot, and she couldn't really use her sword effectively. Hopefully Charlotte would get down when they got closer, she thought as she guided Amari toward the edges of the combat, wincing as one of the enemy took aim at Arrin (and thankfully missed), but for now all she could really do was look after Charlotte, and maybe jostle anyone taking aim at Arrin out of the way.

Guardian activated. Target: Charlotte

OOC: I know Charlotte's got Shade anyway, but it's more in character and makes more logical sense based on where people are for Charlotte to be the target there.

Arrin 12/12 Fire Sage 4/12 Arrin +5EXP

Kelas 15/15

edited for HP and EXP totals

Edited by Kiryn

The ride had been shaping up so well, the weather, while crisp, had been enjoyable, and the Tessa had been enjoying the morning. Arrin was nearby on Francis, and thinking back to their recent ride together put a smile on her face, tempering her concern for Damian for the moment. She knew what she needed to do on that front, but it had to wait until the timing was right, probably when people were sleeping. Occasionally her thoughts would drift toward Isotov and Irina, who were probably holding up well, though the fire mage did have a tendency to get himself in trouble. This time she wouldn't even be "too late" like she had with her idea for the walking stick during his period of blindness, rather she'd be entirely unable to help with anything. Still, despite a somewhat disagreeable attitude, their uncle was strong...

She'd almost missed the increasing tension in Trevor's muscles. The warhorse was no stranger to fire, and had picked up on the situation quickly. Tessa noticed only slightly before the public call by Morgan, set the people on a dash out from under the cover of the woods they'd currently been passing through, and straight into an ambush. Seeing the composition of the opponents caused her a moment's hesitation. She recognized that thunder sage as the one who had blasted her, and hard a few days back, and she rested a hand on her side in memory. Obviously if they'd been so aggressive before, they were likely following the same course this time around, and talking them down was out of the question. Nervously gripping her sword, she pondered whether it would really be alright to draw it, to swing, and make the first attack. Uncertainty assailed her though, what would The Lady think?

Some time passed, and clenching her hand, she shoved the sword back down in its scabbard. Maybe when necessary, she would. But for now, she couldn't. These weren't vile monsters, the likes of demons or Helenos, and at the moment neither she nor her closest friends were in immediate peril and needed saving, as the enemy were still cautiously advancing. Instead, she gripped her customary staff, taking the more comfortable and familiar approach during battles. The young archer, Chase, had taken some damage from overusing his weapon from the very start, so she rode over and provided some assistance. Finishing the job she saw that Arrin had taken a nasty spill off of Francis in the escape, and though he seemed right enough to engage the enemy himself, she wheeled back to his direction, in case he needed anything.

Chase +6 HP, 12/12

~~~

As Helios saw Njord advancing on his and Elle's position, he knew what he had to do. That man needed stopping, and Dani needed protecting, and he was just the one to do it. Pulling out the Arcwind tome, he let anger get the best of him and fired off a furious shot at the man.

Helios activates Arcane Power trading 4 Def for +4 Mag.

[spoiler=Math]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3027306/

3d6 → [2,6,2] = (10)

Helios: Skill 6 + Dice 2 = 8 > Njord Evade 6. HIT

Damage: Might 4 + WTA 1 + AP 4 + Dice 6 = 15 - Njord Res 6 = 9 Damage

Counter:

3d6 → [1,5,5] = (11)

Njord: Skill 5 + Dice 1 - WTD 1 = 5 < Helios Evade 6. MISS

Njord 3/12 PRAYER activates

Helios 12/12

Edited by Balcerzak