Why didn't they make this game like Devil Survivor?

When i saw the very first trailer, my immediate thought for this game was that they would do the grid movement and enemies would be demons instead of regular soldiers. I don't understand why they're going for a persona feel and not a devil survivor feel because devil survivor has grid movement anyway. I kind of feel like the went in the wrong not obvious direction, but we will still have to see how it plays out.

To be honest with you guys when I first saw the reveal trailer (the one that just showed characters and the title) I thought I would end up buying a Wii U just for this game (funny enough, I bought a 3DS just for Awakening and SMT4, barely played it outside of those games), but right now for me it is not looking console purchase worthy.

Well, there were only two realistic choices really, given the genres of both series: a RPG (like SMT/Persona) or a strategy RPG (like Fire Emblem/Devil Survivor).

I guess they thought the former was more appealing and/or better suited.

As for your latter comment, it would be a serious gamble if you actually bought a Wii U based on a super-vague reveal trailer XD

To be completely honest, I was skeptical of the crossover from the moment it was announced; it seemed like a surprising and cool concept, but I had serious doubts it would work except on paper.

After seeing the gameplay trailer, I was initially concerned that it wasn't really SMT x FE, but it does look like a really cool game--one that I will almost certainly get even if it's rubbish.

Edited by VincentASM

If the game was intended to be for Wii U from the start, then they were never going to make it a straight up SRPG. I think Nintendo is keen on keeping that stuff on 3DS. They probably wanted a more traditional cinematic RPG thing on the Wii U, since there isn't enough of that in the console library as it is.

The funny thing is that it's the Devil Survivor team of Atlus doing the main work.

In that case, maybe they just wanted to do something different, which doesnt bother me.

As for your latter comment, it would be a serious gamble if you actually bought a Wii U based on a super-vague reveal trailer XD

Like I said I basically did this with the 3ds and I think it was worth it for those two games, Fire Emblem pretty much had me sold anyway but SMT 4 helped

The combat system isn't what is bugging me, it's that FE was darker in tone, then awakening was a lot less dark in tone, and I was hoping this would naritivly be a dark(like FE4 dark) medival JRPG that has some SMT twist on a classic FE story, ruins of more advanced civilization (Maybe the ruins of an advanced Ostia) then you kill both Satan and God because SMT.

But It seems has Awakening's lighter tone with the Modern day setting of the Persona series.

The 3DS has Persona Q, which in Japan was the best selling of the three Persona spinoff games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Devil Survivor team decided to do something different, because they had also added new content to the 3DS releases of DeSu1 and recently 2.

Also, Devil Survivor 2 was already Persona lite, but with aliens instead of humanities own weakness trying to grant their wish by killing them.

Edited by JupiterKnight

Also, Devil Survivor 2 was already Persona lite, but with aliens instead of humanities own weakness trying to grant their wish by killing them.

This makes me want to play DS2.

ETA: Found out they just remade it on 3DS too.

Edited by Radiant head

• 4 weeks later...

This makes me want to play DS2.

ETA: Found out they just remade it on 3DS too.

This reminds me that I should try finishing the last day on my first playthrough. I completely forgot about it after getting the last boss.

Why is Persona even being used in the first place? It's a spin-off title; not the main series itself.

Because it is currently more popular than the main series?

Have you seen the kind of promotions they are currently doing for Persona 5?

Edited by Lexington