Rate the Unit, Day 10: Ilyana

PKL

USES REXBOLT FRAK YEAH 10/10

Inferior growths to Soren, especially that SPD drop, but the high STR and Thunder-lovin' makes it easy to forgive. I almost always go for her over Soren, just because...well...REXBOLT FRAK YEAH.

Also, she's cute and has a personality that hasn't been linked to her appearance for all time (Soren: Pretty Emotionless Kid With Hidden Depths).

In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I'm not a Soren person.

7/10 with a +1 bias to 8/10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3/10 Nice strength growth , acess to thunder magic ,and a decent magic growth . However she has the same short comings as Soren terrible durability , and a rough start . She also has awful speed that never really gets good . If anyone's over rated it's her . I guess if Soren was a hot chick in a short skirt he would be considered the greatest Mage in fire emblem history because he's clearly better then her . -1 bias she's even more annoying the Soren .

Edited by The_Purple_Knight

3.5/10

Ilyana dies a lot, is frail, has bad spd, and in general is very outclassed, has poor move and is generally redundant. There's not much reason to really use her.

Ilyana is like Soren but not content to simply be the same as him for a title of "really shitty unit", Ilyana outdoes him in that regard and manages to be even worse with terribad speed.

2/10

Ilyana is one unit that I actually missed the very first time I played PoR (the first time I ever played an FE game). Nowadays, I always recruit her and I always use her. However, for a unit that I enjoy using, I'm going to be very harsh on her.

Ilyana shows up in chapter 8, at level 6, which is perhaps not too far off from what Soren's level would be if we are using him as well. Her base stats are not exactly the best. 1 strength and 9 speed, when she starts off with Thunder and Elthunder, isn't really doing her any favors. She's better off using wind so she can take advantage of her 9 speed. Her durability will never truly "be good". Her strength will not catch up pre-promotion for her to be able to use her heavy thunder tomes without AS loss. Her magic and resistance are good, but so are Soren's! Unlike Lugh and Lilina, Ilyana doesn't even have the advantage of "higher magic in exchange for speed" like Lilina does. She has ... less magic at the same level; her magic growth is 10% lower; and her speed isn't as good as his either. Her bases aren't superior to his either. She doesn't even come first. Ilyana really has nothing going for her. Poor bases. Poor speed growth. Magic growth that's inferior to the early-joining mage's magic growth. Her strength won't catch up in time for her to use her thunder tomes with no AS loss. She has shade, but the description for Shade is "makes user less likely to be attacked by the enemy." Well ... how much less likely? What's it determined by? So I can't just throw her into a bunch of enemies and expect her to be ignored, guaranteed, in favor of other units in range?

As much as I enjoy using Ilyana, she requires a LOT of work to be anywhere near good ... like a speed band and rigged level-ups to get speed on random mode. If you really hate Soren or just want a second mage around, she can do what he does - chip or finish off weakened enemies. Honestly, you're better off dumping them both for Tormod once you get him.

3/10

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ilyana's probably being recruited near the end of chapter 8, unless Ike and whoever is assisting him in blocking the left part of the map are supremely overpowered and just killing anything that attacks them. At most, she'll hit something once or finish it off. So she doesn't even start contributing until chapter 9. At least she has forced deployment ... I think.

Edited by Jihyun

Honestly, you're better off dumping them both for Tormod once you get him.

To be fair, Tormod comes with his own problems. Big ones. But we will cross that bridge...

To be fair, Tormod comes with his own problems. Big ones. But we will cross that bridge...

Oh, I know Tormod has his problems as well. I have no intentions to go easy on him either. I just feel that his underleveledness is offset by the BEXP situation during his join time, plus that extra 2 move is nice. But ... this is not the time to talk about Tormod.

Ilyana is like Soren but not content to simply be the same as him for a title of "really shitty unit", Ilyana outdoes him in that regard and manages to be even worse with terribad speed.

2/10

PKL,

Is this really enough justification for a number so far below the average rating?

I repeat my objection, only for this one it is stronger because all he does is say she's bad with bad speed.

Who cares if it's below the average? It's my opinion and the point of this thread is to post our ratings of characters based on our opinions.

I wish you'd just say you're mad because I'm rating one of your favorite characters low. It'd be a lot more honest of you.

Ilyana also has an advantage over Soren in STR. In the mid and later game it won't matter. He will get 1 STR (all he needs for FT) and his higher SPD growth and Adept will carry him to be definitivly better, but before that happens, Ilyana will have an edge (even if minor). Besides, even if Soren does end up better, Ilyana is hardly a waste of resources. More siege tomes and staffs are always welcome after all. Plus, while Ilyana's supports may not be really good, unless Stefan is played Soren can't even manage to get two supporters (and even then this is assuming Ike supports him. Not a bad assumption by far, but if he doesn't for any reason, Soren doesn't contribute at all support wise. Soren may be better 'overall', but I prefer the added support flexibility and better ease of use early-game that Ilyana has.

Plus, this is a rating topic that's open to the public. A lot of people are going to give really high/low ratings for characters based on personal experience. Don't be shocked/worry about it.

Ilyana also has an advantage over Soren in STR. In the mid and later game it won't matter. He will get 1 STR (all he needs for FT) and his higher SPD growth and Adept will carry him to be definitivly better, but before that happens, Ilyana will have an edge (even if minor).

If we're assuming fixed mode, then her strength will only go up every 4 levels. Her base strength is 1. She starts off with thunder tomes. Her AS situation isn't - that - much better than Soren's. Sure, she can use heavier tomes faster and will not lose speed from lighter tomes (light wind). She also has worse speed than he does. Before she promotes, her slight strength advantages probably won't mean much.

What were you thinking IS, Put Three Mages in the game and make the two of them almost exactly worse than the first one...Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

Anyways, She is what everybody says it is. An inferior Soren with a Better Strength Growth and is More Proficient on thunder. I don't find Soren and Ilyana that bad to use though so i shall give her a 5.5/10 (Rated Soren a 6)

But my Bias Power's Turn that 5.5 into a 6.5 so yeah, that is my rating...

If we're assuming fixed mode, then her strength will only go up every 4 levels. Her base strength is 1. She starts off with thunder tomes. Her AS situation isn't - that - much better than Soren's. Sure, she can use heavier tomes faster and will not lose speed from lighter tomes (light wind). She also has worse speed than he does. Before she promotes, her slight strength advantages probably won't mean much.

The thing is, it's really cheap and easy to lower the weight of a thunder tome down to 1. Base-level Ilyana has a AS of 9 with such a tome while Soren needs to gain 4 levels to match. So for a veeeeery narrow window Ilyana will have a higher AS than Soren. Now, I'm not a mathimatician, but Ilyana also has a 30% chance to level-up in SPD on her first level-up while if Soren misses once when he levels-up (only a 10% higher growth), he will end up definitively slower.

Also, why the heck aren't you forging thunder tomes? They're the best non-unique magic tome in the game for crying out loud. If you did so you'd have a tome with only 1 less MT than Thoron, an equal amount of hit, same/more crit, double the uses, only 1 weight, and obtainable as soon as chapter 9. Steel forges don't even become available until 14 and dropping it down to 1 weight only costs 316 extra gold (6093 to max MT, 6,335 extra to do both), so there really isn't a reason to not forge those tomes before 14 (ranged weapons don't become available until 18 either). From chapter 8 (9 for thunder) to 13 you can only forge iron, slim, and tomes, and the tomes are simply a much better investment than anything else if you're using a mage. Heck, I would even go as far as to say a maxed-out thunder tome is a viable investment of Hammerine uses. Certainly has the longest return of power (40 uses) as opposed to other weapons lower durability.

A very narrow window of time indeed. If we give Ilyana a 1 weight thunder tome with whatever strength we want to attach to it, then what's to stop Soren from getting a max-strength wind tome as well? Also:

but Ilyana also has a 30% chance to level-up in SPD on her first level-up while if Soren misses once when he levels-up (only a 10% higher growth), he will end up definitively slower

This is fixed mode. We're evaluating these characters from fixed mode. Which means that without a band or some other stat-altering junk, Soren will gain speed faster than Ilyana. Besides, what is Soren's level when Ilyana comes in anyway, if we're using him? What is his average speed when she makes her entrance?

My point was more of, "if we can forge a thunder tome with 1 weight for Ilyana, why can't we forge a tome for Soren to fit his needs". So we could give Soren a forged thunder tome, too.

Even if you dropped the weight as low as possible, it would still be 1. Until Soren gets that 1 STR, he's stuck with an AS loss.

And Blade, I like a LOT of characters. This may shock you, but I even like Titania as a character. I just despise how tier debaters treat her.

Edited by Snowy_One

Even if you dropped the weight as low as possible, it would still be 1. Until Soren gets that 1 STR, he's stuck with an AS loss.

And Blade, I like a LOT of characters. This may shock you, but I even like Titania as a character. I just despise how tier debaters treat her.

Yes, but what is Soren's speed? And what is Ilyana's speed? If both Soren and Ilyana are used, and if they both continue to gain levels, then Soren's speed will overtake Ilyana's. If they're both using forged tomes with 1 weight, even if Soren loses 1 AS from having 0 strength and Ilyana doesn't, what are their speeds? If Soren has 13 AS naturally and Ilyana has 12 AS, then they have the same AS from using a forged tome with 1 weight. What if Soren's speed is higher than Ilyana's by a margin of one? Oh, look, even with AS loss he would still have higher speed than her!

This also doesn't take into consideration Soren's higher magic if he and Ilyana are both gaining levels and using forged tomes of equal might.